City of Markham

City of Markham Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great job!
Music/Dramatic Arts Instructor (Current Employee), Markham, ONApril 20, 2015
Great work environment, tons of fun all the time! I look forward to going in to teach my class each week as it is a great experience for all!
Wonderful
Horticulturist (Former Employee), Markham, ONMarch 14, 2015
Pros: friendly
Cons: a bit disorganized
Such a lovely place, learned how to work with people from a variety of backgrounds and learned to use different types of machines in a short period of time.
Fun and productive working place at Angus Glen Community Center as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
INSTRUCTOR, LIFEGUARD (Former Employee), Markham, ONMarch 10, 2015
Pros: a great active summer time job
Cons: the long hours can be tiring
Great working experience, along with a great working environment. As a lifeguard and swim instructor I would teach young students the proper techniques of swimming, and life saving skills. I also promoted safety through my lifeguarding shifts. The management and co-workers were extremely nice and cooperative, making the job a much more enjoyable one to work at. The most gratifying part of the job would be seeing the kids I taught enjoy the world of swimming, and the sense of pride they get when achieving their goals.
Positive, active work enviroment
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Current Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: cold conditions in the water
Many new and fulfilling challenges offered towards a teenager during his first job, Introduced to me how to work on my teamwork, management, communication, interpersonal, and teaching skills.
A fast pace and challenging environment
Aquatic Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 24, 2015
Working for the City of Markham has enable to develop multiple skills such as communications, working in a team environments, leadership skills, and ability to react in an effective manner in unforeseen circumstances. As a City of Markham employee we must at all times ensure the safety and concerns of all patrons that walk into any one of our facilities. We must always be providing excellent customer service as well as upholding and maintaining a professional image. Working at City of Markham facilities we are constantly asked to perform under pressure and fast pace environment which can create an enjoyable challenge.
Integrated turf and sport fields practices
Turf Sport fields Management practices (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: outdoors, healthy
Turf management; aerating, fertilizing, topdressing, over seeding
Strong Leadership
Wonderful team working atmosphere, with emphasis on initiative and being able to work as team member or individually
Very positive review
Assistant (Current Employee), Markham, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: meeting new pople
Cons: just a volunteer position
A typical day at work was going out and volunteering for different city councillors. I would canvass, and go door to door. My co-workers were nice. The management was good. Nothing hard. But the most enjoyable part was talking to different people
Non stressful job(s) with a very friendly environment
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Markham, ONJuly 10, 2014
Pros: friendly environment, non stressful, free food, good pay
Cons: short hours
Overall a very good experience. Learned to effectively handle with customer inquiries both at front desk and as swimming instructor, along with building critical thinking and teamwork skills as a lifeguard. Would definitely come back.
Good for students
Summer Student (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 24, 2014
Pros: free weekends
Cons: outdoor labour in high heat
They reward returning students with more pay, and are more likely to take return students, which is a big plus.
Fun place to work; everyone is very friendly.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: always fun, half price pizza with the kids
Cons: working outside on hot days
A typical day at work at the Markham Museum was always full of fun. From hilarious jokes made by other staff to something silly a child attending camp would do. Working here I have learned how to deal with people, for example when a child is upset and how to make situations lighter. The co-workers are all super fun and friednly, no discrimination what so ever.
Productive Workplace, people are educated, fun to talk to
Sports Instructor (Current Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: 50% discount on toronto raptors, maple leafs, blue jays and fc home games.
Its a good environment if you love working with kids and like interacting with open people.
Fun and exciting workplace with friendly staff
Program Instructor - Contract (Current Employee), Markham, ONAugust 4, 2013
As a program instructor, I have the freedom of creating my own programs for the participants. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with and learning from people with diverse work backgrounds all of whom have an invested interest in community and recreation. The hardest part of this job is the hours. Because programs are regimented on an 8 - 10 week cycle, there are month long breaks in between which makes the hours inconsistent.
Productive workplace
Senior Caregiver (Current Employee), City of markhamAugust 13, 2012
Pros: free lunches
Cons: always bending
Everyone worked hard did not complain and had good teamwork skills and multi-tasking skills and communication skills together. I learned it is hard to keep everyone happy and yourself included, the hardest part of the job was lifting some of the tires some of which were heavy. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the co-workers.

About City of Markham

Markham is a city in the Regional Municipality of York, lies within the Greater Toronto Area of Southern Ontario, Canada. At the – Read more