City of Markham Employee Reviews

Decent part time job to supplement your income
Contact Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON12 February 2016
Typical day at work is answering high volumes of inbound calls from residents in respect to city services. Decent part time job with excellent pay and somewhat flexible schedule - not guaranteed hours/ hours fluctuate. Biggest issue is there is minimal to absolutely no growth, especially in the contact centre... You can jump around to other departments on assignment, but you most likely will have to come back unless you have education/experience for the specific role/field. The atmosphere is decent, but the department lacks true morale.

Management is decent but not the best, and some management needs to be replaced in my opinion. Overall, the opportunity is not bad as a side job ONLY and DON'T expect much.
Pros
Great pay!, day hours, flexible scheduling
Cons
Hours not guaranteed, NO GROWTH! NO BENEFITS
Familly-welcoming environment to make connections
Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 July 2016
A typical day at work here would involve intensive set up, depending on the program you teach. In particular to mine, over excessive, unpaid 2-3 hours of work was needed. I learned that connections and strong relationships need to be built in order to have your voice heard in the workplace.
Amazing job
Parks Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 November 2016
By far the best place I've ever worked I love my boss and all my coworkers are Amazing!!! They don't usually expect more than you are capable of doing which is a nice change !!
A Welcoming and Comfortable Work Atmosphere.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON25 June 2016
The City of Markham is great place to work for anyone who is in need of a job. Whether you are 14 years old or 40 years old, The City of Markham makes you feel comfortable even on your first day. This friendly work environment continues to be exhibited every time you show up.
Not a bad place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 June 2016
Very fun with the crew that you work with, self reliant at most times during parties, dont really get supervised too harshly so you work either with a crew or by your self
Fun and productive working place at Angus Glen Community Center as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
INSTRUCTOR, LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 March 2015
Great working experience, along with a great working environment. As a lifeguard and swim instructor I would teach young students the proper techniques of swimming, and life saving skills. I also promoted safety through my lifeguarding shifts. The management and co-workers were extremely nice and cooperative, making the job a much more enjoyable one to work at. The most gratifying part of the job would be seeing the kids I taught enjoy the world of swimming, and the sense of pride they get when achieving their goals.
Pros
A great active summer time job
Cons
The long hours can be tiring
Excellent work environment and experience
FIRST AID EXAMINER (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 November 2015
Enjoyable place to work. Gained invaluable experience in the way of customer service and teamwork. Excellent place for career development and leadership skills.
Pros
Flexible hours/Shifts
Fun and engaging workplace
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON1 March 2016
Definitely rewarding to see the children appreciate the work that you give, however at the same time a little challenging dealing with a few kids and trying to get them engaged.
Temporary Laborer Parks (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 February 2016
Great place to work alongside hardworking and knowledgeable co-workers. Enjoyed coming into work everyday due to the positive atmosphere
Eye opening experience
Volunteer as teacher assitant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 November 2015
I went in to help a French teacher for a couple of days. I learned how to make proper day plans and how to manage my time properly. The French teacher taught me everything with how to mark tests, use photocopier, make booklets etc... The hardest part of the job was learning how to use new technologies but was soon overcome with practice. The best part of the volunteer experience was that I got experience with what I would like to do in the future.
Pros
Being able to see how my future would look and be like
Cons
Not being able to use technologies properly
Integrated turf and sport fields practices
Turf Sport fields Management practices (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON18 December 2014
Turf management; aerating, fertilizing, topdressing, over seeding
Strong Leadership
Wonderful team working atmosphere, with emphasis on initiative and being able to work as team member or individually
Pros
outdoors, healthy
Cons
Fun Workplace as a skate instructor
Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON3 November 2015
I love my job there, the staff are really nice. I love dealing with different people and different age. So a perfect job for me.
Positive, active work enviroment
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 February 2015
Many new and fulfilling challenges offered towards a teenager during his first job, Introduced to me how to work on my teamwork, management, communication, interpersonal, and teaching skills.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Cold conditions in the water
A fast pace and challenging environment
Aquatic Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON24 January 2015
Working for the City of Markham has enable to develop multiple skills such as communications, working in a team environments, leadership skills, and ability to react in an effective manner in unforeseen circumstances. As a City of Markham employee we must at all times ensure the safety and concerns of all patrons that walk into any one of our facilities. We must always be providing excellent customer service as well as upholding and maintaining a professional image. Working at City of Markham facilities we are constantly asked to perform under pressure and fast pace environment which can create an enjoyable challenge.
Very positive review
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON9 September 2014
A typical day at work was going out and volunteering for different city councillors. I would canvass, and go door to door. My co-workers were nice. The management was good. Nothing hard. But the most enjoyable part was talking to different people
Pros
Meeting new pople
Cons
Just a volunteer position
Decent place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 August 2015
Decent place to work at during my contract, really easy job fun people to hang out with. Basic cleaning, setting up for parties
Working with team members
Building Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 July 2015
• Authorized application status
• Coordinated field staff for building inspections
• Prepared monthly performance reports
• Coordinated with inspectors regarding residents building inspection complaints.
Pros
Exellent Working Environment
Fun and exciting workplace with friendly staff
Program Instructor - Contract (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON4 August 2013
As a program instructor, I have the freedom of creating my own programs for the participants. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with and learning from people with diverse work backgrounds all of whom have an invested interest in community and recreation. The hardest part of this job is the hours. Because programs are regimented on an 8 - 10 week cycle, there are month long breaks in between which makes the hours inconsistent.
Fun place to work; everyone is very friendly.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON3 February 2014
A typical day at work at the Markham Museum was always full of fun. From hilarious jokes made by other staff to something silly a child attending camp would do. Working here I have learned how to deal with people, for example when a child is upset and how to make situations lighter. The co-workers are all super fun and friednly, no discrimination what so ever.
Pros
Always fun, half price pizza with the kids
Cons
Working outside on hot days
City of Markham
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 May 2015
I really enjoyed working with the City of Markham the full time staff and the part time staff was great to work with. Everyone was very friendly and approachable

4.2