City of Markham Employee Reviews

effective
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON14 June 2017
While the work load is relatively light, they are the most underpayed in the gta. they are constantly hiring more people, when they cant afford to give people all of the hours they ask for.
Great staff and overall work place
Recycler (Current Employee) –  Unionville, ON26 April 2017
Provided day to day direction to customers in the proper sorting and disposal of items at the depot. Removed all items not suitable as recycling material. Conducted job duties in a safe manner in compliance with City/Provincial regulations, codes and procedures.
Performed duties such as keeping the site and surrounding area free of litter to ensure the site is acceptable to residences as well as shoveling and laying down salt when it snows.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Always having to work Saturdays
Busy environment. Friendly co-workers.
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON10 April 2017
A good place to work if you want seasonal, contract work.
Changes occur frequently. People change positions frequently.
lots of time spent setting up and cleaning up.
Great place to meet people.
Management is somewhat cold to contract and part time employees.
Lack of communication and cohesiveness leaves employees feeling neglected and unappreciated.
Pros
flexible schedule if needed
Cons
preparation time not paid for
Exciting and engaging place to work!
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 April 2017
This job allowed me to expand my skills as a student creating dance programs, while managing and instructing youth in fun exercises and games. My fellow employee's were all very approachable and pleasant to work with, offering guidance and support when necessary. This job is very ideal for students and young adults that like the opportunity to lead, while working with children and youth as well.
Stable & Well Compensated Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Markham30 March 2017
Like many municipalities, the City of Markham provides a stable place to work. The compensation and benefits are great! Depending on your job there are limited spots to move up. Positions also rarely come available!
Summer Job at City of Markham Camps
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 February 2017
At camp, I learned about working with children and youth. I learned the camp environment is to create a positive and safe place for campers. I enjoyed getting to know each camper and learn about their interests. I am a kid as heart!
Pros
Swim Time
Cons
Short Breaks
Fun Workplace
Arena Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON12 January 2017
Older staff very willing to teach and explain, not forced to do anything you can't do or aren't shown how to do, given plenty of time to complete tasks even under time constraints
City of Markham
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON2 January 2017
City of Markham is a great place to work, Management and Working Supervisors treat their employees well. My co-workers are great to work with, we all work well as a team.
Amazing job
Parks Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 November 2016
By far the best place I've ever worked I love my boss and all my coworkers are Amazing!!! They don't usually expect more than you are capable of doing which is a nice change !!
Familly-welcoming environment to make connections
Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 July 2016
A typical day at work here would involve intensive set up, depending on the program you teach. In particular to mine, over excessive, unpaid 2-3 hours of work was needed. I learned that connections and strong relationships need to be built in order to have your voice heard in the workplace.
A Welcoming and Comfortable Work Atmosphere.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON25 June 2016
The City of Markham is great place to work for anyone who is in need of a job. Whether you are 14 years old or 40 years old, The City of Markham makes you feel comfortable even on your first day. This friendly work environment continues to be exhibited every time you show up.
Not a bad place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 June 2016
Very fun with the crew that you work with, self reliant at most times during parties, dont really get supervised too harshly so you work either with a crew or by your self
Fun and engaging workplace
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON1 March 2016
Definitely rewarding to see the children appreciate the work that you give, however at the same time a little challenging dealing with a few kids and trying to get them engaged.
Temporary Laborer Parks (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 February 2016
Great place to work alongside hardworking and knowledgeable co-workers. Enjoyed coming into work everyday due to the positive atmosphere
Decent part time job to supplement your income
Contact Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON12 February 2016
Typical day at work is answering high volumes of inbound calls from residents in respect to city services. Decent part time job with excellent pay and somewhat flexible schedule - not guaranteed hours/ hours fluctuate. Biggest issue is there is minimal to absolutely no growth, especially in the contact centre... You can jump around to other departments on assignment, but you most likely will have to come back unless you have education/experience for the specific role/field. The atmosphere is decent, but the department lacks true morale.

Management is decent but not the best, and some management needs to be replaced in my opinion. Overall, the opportunity is not bad as a side job ONLY and DON'T expect much.
Pros
Great pay!, day hours, flexible scheduling
Cons
Hours not guaranteed, No growth! No benefits
Excellent work environment and experience
FIRST AID EXAMINER (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 November 2015
Enjoyable place to work. Gained invaluable experience in the way of customer service and teamwork. Excellent place for career development and leadership skills.
Pros
Flexible hours/Shifts
Fun Workplace as a skate instructor
Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON3 November 2015
I love my job there, the staff are really nice. I love dealing with different people and different age. So a perfect job for me.
Eye opening experience
Volunteer as teacher assitant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 November 2015
I went in to help a French teacher for a couple of days. I learned how to make proper day plans and how to manage my time properly. The French teacher taught me everything with how to mark tests, use photocopier, make booklets etc... The hardest part of the job was learning how to use new technologies but was soon overcome with practice. The best part of the volunteer experience was that I got experience with what I would like to do in the future.
Pros
Being able to see how my future would look and be like
Cons
Not being able to use technologies properly
Decent place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 August 2015
Decent place to work at during my contract, really easy job fun people to hang out with. Basic cleaning, setting up for parties
Working with team members
Building Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 July 2015
• Authorized application status
• Coordinated field staff for building inspections
• Prepared monthly performance reports
• Coordinated with inspectors regarding residents building inspection complaints.
Pros
Exellent Working Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Markham. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3