City of Markham Employee Reviews in Canada

Familly-welcoming environment to make connections
Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 13, 2016
A typical day at work here would involve intensive set up, depending on the program you teach. In particular to mine, over excessive, unpaid 2-3 hours of work was needed. I learned that connections and strong relationships need to be built in order to have your voice heard in the workplace.
A Welcoming and Comfortable Work Atmosphere.
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 25, 2016
The City of Markham is great place to work for anyone who is in need of a job. Whether you are 14 years old or 40 years old, The City of Markham makes you feel comfortable even on your first day. This friendly work environment continues to be exhibited every time you show up.
Not a bad place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 15, 2016
Very fun with the crew that you work with, self reliant at most times during parties, dont really get supervised too harshly so you work either with a crew or by your self
Fun and engaging workplace
Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ONMarch 1, 2016
Definitely rewarding to see the children appreciate the work that you give, however at the same time a little challenging dealing with a few kids and trying to get them engaged.
Temporary Laborer Parks (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 17, 2016
Great place to work alongside hardworking and knowledgeable co-workers. Enjoyed coming into work everyday due to the positive atmosphere
Decent part time job to supplement your income
Contact Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 12, 2016
Typical day at work is answering high volumes of inbound calls from residents in respect to city services. Decent part time job with excellent pay and somewhat flexible schedule - not guaranteed hours/ hours fluctuate. Biggest issue is there is minimal to absolutely no growth, especially in the contact centre... You can jump around to other departments on assignment, but you most likely will have to come back unless you have education/experience for the specific role/field. The atmosphere is decent, but the department lacks true morale.

Management is decent but not the best, and some management needs to be replaced in my opinion. Overall, the opportunity is not bad as a side job ONLY and DON'T expect much.
Pros
Great pay!, day hours, flexible scheduling
Cons
Hours not guaranteed, NO GROWTH! NO BENEFITS
Excellent work environment and experience
FIRST AID EXAMINER (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 16, 2015
Enjoyable place to work. Gained invaluable experience in the way of customer service and teamwork. Excellent place for career development and leadership skills.
Pros
Flexible hours/Shifts
Fun Workplace as a skate instructor
Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 3, 2015
I love my job there, the staff are really nice. I love dealing with different people and different age. So a perfect job for me.
Eye opening experience
Volunteer as teacher assitant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 3, 2015
I went in to help a French teacher for a couple of days. I learned how to make proper day plans and how to manage my time properly. The French teacher taught me everything with how to mark tests, use photocopier, make booklets etc... The hardest part of the job was learning how to use new technologies but was soon overcome with practice. The best part of the volunteer experience was that I got experience with what I would like to do in the future.
Pros
Being able to see how my future would look and be like
Cons
Not being able to use technologies properly
Decent place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 28, 2015
Decent place to work at during my contract, really easy job fun people to hang out with. Basic cleaning, setting up for parties
Working with team members
Building Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 7, 2015
• Authorized application status
• Coordinated field staff for building inspections
• Prepared monthly performance reports
• Coordinated with inspectors regarding residents building inspection complaints.
Pros
Exellent Working Environment
City of Markham
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 19, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the City of Markham the full time staff and the part time staff was great to work with. Everyone was very friendly and approachable
Great job!
Music/Dramatic Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 20, 2015
Great work environment, tons of fun all the time! I look forward to going in to teach my class each week as it is a great experience for all!
Wonderful
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 14, 2015
Such a lovely place, learned how to work with people from a variety of backgrounds and learned to use different types of machines in a short period of time.
Pros
friendly
Cons
a bit disorganized
Fun and productive working place at Angus Glen Community Center as a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
INSTRUCTOR, LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 10, 2015
Great working experience, along with a great working environment. As a lifeguard and swim instructor I would teach young students the proper techniques of swimming, and life saving skills. I also promoted safety through my lifeguarding shifts. The management and co-workers were extremely nice and cooperative, making the job a much more enjoyable one to work at. The most gratifying part of the job would be seeing the kids I taught enjoy the world of swimming, and the sense of pride they get when achieving their goals.
Pros
a great active summer time job
Cons
the long hours can be tiring
Positive, active work enviroment
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 25, 2015
Many new and fulfilling challenges offered towards a teenager during his first job, Introduced to me how to work on my teamwork, management, communication, interpersonal, and teaching skills.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
cold conditions in the water
A fast pace and challenging environment
Aquatic Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 24, 2015
Working for the City of Markham has enable to develop multiple skills such as communications, working in a team environments, leadership skills, and ability to react in an effective manner in unforeseen circumstances. As a City of Markham employee we must at all times ensure the safety and concerns of all patrons that walk into any one of our facilities. We must always be providing excellent customer service as well as upholding and maintaining a professional image. Working at City of Markham facilities we are constantly asked to perform under pressure and fast pace environment which can create an enjoyable challenge.
Integrated turf and sport fields practices
Turf Sport fields Management practices (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONDecember 18, 2014
Turf management; aerating, fertilizing, topdressing, over seeding
Strong Leadership
Wonderful team working atmosphere, with emphasis on initiative and being able to work as team member or individually
Pros
outdoors, healthy
Very positive review
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 9, 2014
A typical day at work was going out and volunteering for different city councillors. I would canvass, and go door to door. My co-workers were nice. The management was good. Nothing hard. But the most enjoyable part was talking to different people
Pros
meeting new pople
Cons
just a volunteer position
Non stressful job(s) with a very friendly environment
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 10, 2014
Overall a very good experience. Learned to effectively handle with customer inquiries both at front desk and as swimming instructor, along with building critical thinking and teamwork skills as a lifeguard. Would definitely come back.
Pros
friendly environment, non stressful, free food, good pay
Cons
short hours

4.3