CITY OF LONDON Employee Reviews

Worked in IT
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  IYT15 August 2017
Very slow moving if you come from private sector. Got more done during Union strike as Manager.
Good Managers. Upper Managers are focused on Project management and hold project managers in higher regarding than the people holding the expertise.
Very focused on job review and metrics to track when most companies are removing the performance review.
City of London pays 20 k below other Cities for managers in IT
Hardest part of the job. Dealing with entitled union staff.
Most enjoyable part of the job...Leaving at end of day.

City is really run by two people. HR is very anti benefit
Dearness Long Term Care
nursing (Former Employee) –  Dearness1 August 2017
I would never recommend this LTC facility to work at. Worst management I have worked under. Most staff try to provide the best resident care they can but it is a fear based job culture, no management support and the management constantly contradicts itself. Management also does not take the time to know the residents and I have been present when they have spoken in an unprofessional manner about the residents as well. The facility itself is clean and the surroundings are beautiful. If the city cleaned up the management team and listened to staff input the residents would be the ones to benefit the most from this as the Dearness employees would be much happier and enjoy coming to work.
Pros
Most staff are friendly and try to provide good care
Cons
everything else
Fun and organized
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 June 2017
I worked as a camp counsellor floater for a summer and enjoyed my experience however I did feel like just a fill in whenever I got to a shift. I wasn't treated with the same respect because I was temporary but I still enjoyed the kids and working outside. The management at higher levels was good and there was always a good on site manager as well. Everyone was a hard worker and got to work 20 minutes early. Rewarding but tiring job.
Pros
Good pay and good hours
Cons
Long days
Great place to work and very flexible
Instructor (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2017
Working with the city provides a lot of flexibility and the chance to meet a lot of different people. Just being able to work with children and all sorts of different people is amazing.
Pros
Meeting new people, a leadership role
Excellent job place
Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 February 2017
Great management, environment and motivation. Management teal always motivates to learn and gives more. A lot of courses were free for the employees "lunch and learn", so I was always learning about something.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Amazing people to work with! Awesome enthusiasm.
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 December 2016
As a Camp Counsler you have to make sure the environment is fun and enjoyable. Working with my colleagues I have learned how to take time to sort out hard situations. the hardest part of the job is telling kids that they can't do something, seeing that they can't join in on the fun is the hardest. The most enjoyable thing about my job is all of if. The smiles on the kids faces in the morning and the smiles when they leave. The parents feedback on how we do as leaders. Making a difference in a child's life. That's the most enjoyable thing about my job
Pros
Excitement
Helping Profession
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 January 2016
While employed with the City of London from 2000 to 2015, I gained numerous skills from on-the-job training and courses. As well, the benefits received were excellent. I worked with many knowledgeable staff and made life-long friendships. I am grateful to have been an employee with this corporation.
There is a proactive social committee that plans and organizes several staff events throughout the year.
Operation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 December 2015
Supportive management team like no other. There are employee development classes for those wishing to continue their studies. There are employees that look for community perks to share with the team for example organizing bus trips to baseball games, suite purchases at Budweiser Gardens for concerts and plays - then sell reasonably priced tickets to employees.
Pros
Reduced admissions at other attractions.
Cons
The bureaucratic organization structure makes it slow to react to market change.
Its a city job
Construction Crew Member (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 October 2015
Never have I worked somewhere where I didn't fit in because I was working too hard. In my first week they told me to slow down my work pace around once a day. Seniority is how you rank among other employees hard work will get you nowhere.. or at least where i was employed.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
not a friendly work enviroment
Creative and fun atmosphere
Head Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 May 2015
Lots of freedom to create my own program ideas.

I learned how to problem solve, time management, communication, collaboration with co-workers, self-management.
Fun and rewarding workplace with children aged 4 - 12.
Full Time Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 March 2015
A typical day working with the City of London would include facilitating and participating in games and activities with children at the camp organized by age groups. Working at the City of London, you must learn and use strategies to compromise, understand and communicate well with children and co-workers of all ages. Management took place with a direct supervisor for every day camp site, and a higher up supervisor for the two sections of the city (east and west). The hardest part of the job would have been dealing with tough situations with the children, whether it be a home issue that has been identified or a behavioral problem that needs to be addressed immediately. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with co-workers and the kids all summer, getting to know them all well and having a great time.
Pros
Relationships and experiences throughout the job
Cons
Stressful work environment at times
Cutting grass
Temporary Labourer (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 October 2014
Great laid back student job. Great workplace with interesting and fun people making for a great work environment.
Pros
Flexible
Working with Children
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 August 2014
- Long, but fun and interesting
- How to be more patient and understanding
- Great management
- My co-workers were all kind, outgoing people. All great with kids.
- Long hours
- Working with the children
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Everyone was helpful and pleasant
Elections Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 August 2014
The short time I was there was interesting and I was able to make some new friends and experience a different line of work. I enjoyed the day of the election very much.
Pros
Friendly and helpful
Cons
none ... The day was long.
Great people
Facilities Summer Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 July 2014
The evening staff are all very friendly, we worked well together. Some of the jobs were monotonous and gross or tedious, but what job doesn't have those tasks?
productive and fun workplace
Building Attendant/Facility Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 May 2014
lock and unlock buildings, administer first aid if needed to a variety of user groups in the building
Great Place to Work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 March 2014
Lifeguard through the city lots of fun. You get to meat great people and teach lots of swim lessons. It is lots of fun to interact with the people who come to the pool.
Pros
Great Tan
Cons
Very hot
Learning Something New
Point of Sale Staff (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 February 2014
Opening Park
Managing Money
Balancing Til
Working closely with the public
Busy working conditions
Thought this would be a great learning experience, more frustrating and drained my self-esteem
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Dearness20 November 2013
-Poor management of Kitchen/Dietary positions, lack of communication between management.
-Too many different departments in charge of different areas and no communication.
-Overall staff is incredibly helpful and friendly, however senior staff members only familiar with their positions, unreliable to ask questions that are out of their every routine.
-Asking someone "how are you doing" at the beginning of a shift is NOT a clear way of asking how they are doing pertaining to the job.
-More than once scheduled for shifts NOT trained on, then criticized when tasks were done incorrectly/wrong.
-Heard positive reviews from co-workers members, yet negative reviews from management.
Pros
Friendly and helpful coworkers
Cons
Did not feel welcome, didn't feel appreciated.
Athletic Environment, Well trained employees, great at keeping employees up to date on training
Instructor/ Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 October 2013
- teaching swimming lessons, and aqua fit
- lifeguarding during recreational swims
- constantly scanning the pool while moving around area
-performing rescues and first aid when needed
- speaking with patrons and parents of swimmers in lessons
-writing report cards and examining swimmer's abilities
- giving constant feedback on how swimmers could improve
-keeping up with training, skills check-lists, and fitness
Pros
Interacting and helping people who were interested in learning to swim, being able to help people in need
Cons
Pay, busy recreational swims during the summer, short breaks, writing lots of report cards