CITY OF LONDON Employee Reviews

There is a proactive social committee that plans and organizes several staff events throughout the year.
Operation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ONDecember 2, 2015
Supportive management team like no other. There are employee development classes for those wishing to continue their studies. There are employees that look for community perks to share with the team for example organizing bus trips to baseball games, suite purchases at Budweiser Gardens for concerts and plays - then sell reasonably priced tickets to employees.
Pros
Reduced admissions at other attractions.
Cons
The bureaucratic organization structure makes it slow to react to market change.
Helping Profession
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 7, 2016
While employed with the City of London from 2000 to 2015, I gained numerous skills from on-the-job training and courses. As well, the benefits received were excellent. I worked with many knowledgeable staff and made life-long friendships. I am grateful to have been an employee with this corporation.
Fun and rewarding workplace with children aged 4 - 12.
Full Time Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 12, 2015
A typical day working with the City of London would include facilitating and participating in games and activities with children at the camp organized by age groups. Working at the City of London, you must learn and use strategies to compromise, understand and communicate well with children and co-workers of all ages. Management took place with a direct supervisor for every day camp site, and a higher up supervisor for the two sections of the city (east and west). The hardest part of the job would have been dealing with tough situations with the children, whether it be a home issue that has been identified or a behavioral problem that needs to be addressed immediately. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with co-workers and the kids all summer, getting to know them all well and having a great time.
Pros
relationships and experiences throughout the job
Cons
stressful work environment at times
Its a city job
Construction Crew Member (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 14, 2015
Never have I worked somewhere where I didn't fit in because I was working too hard. In my first week they told me to slow down my work pace around once a day. Seniority is how you rank among other employees hard work will get you nowhere.. or at least where i was employed.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
not a friendly work enviroment
Working with Children
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 10, 2014
- Long, but fun and interesting
- How to be more patient and understanding
- Great management
- My co-workers were all kind, outgoing people. All great with kids.
- Long hours
- Working with the children
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Thought this would be a great learning experience, more frustrating and drained my self-esteem
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  DearnessNovember 20, 2013
-Poor management of Kitchen/Dietary positions, lack of communication between management.
-Too many different departments in charge of different areas and no communication.
-Overall staff is incredibly helpful and friendly, however senior staff members only familiar with their positions, unreliable to ask questions that are out of their every routine.
-Asking someone "how are you doing" at the beginning of a shift is NOT a clear way of asking how they are doing pertaining to the job.
-More than once scheduled for shifts NOT trained on, then criticized when tasks were done incorrectly/wrong.
-Heard positive reviews from co-workers members, yet negative reviews from management.
Pros
friendly and helpful coworkers
Cons
did not feel welcome, didn't feel appreciated.
Excellent place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 3, 2014
On a typical day of work I would log in samples of wastewater samples from various stages in the treatment process. I would then perform analysis for suspended solids, total solids, volatile solids, pH and alkalinity on the days samples. The lab was very well managed and had a great work environment. While I mostly worked alone there were always other co-workers there to assist me if I needed help with something. I was also able to assist them with their workloads performing other types of analysis. The most difficult part of the job was time management. It took a lot of experience to figure out the timing of the different analysis and determine the order to do them in so as to maximize the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the atmosphere in the lab. It was always a friendly atmosphere but it was professional at the same time.
Creative and fun atmosphere
Head Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 7, 2015
Lots of freedom to create my own program ideas.

I learned how to problem solve, time management, communication, collaboration with co-workers, self-management.
Athletic Environment, Well trained employees, great at keeping employees up to date on training
Instructor/ Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 4, 2013
- teaching swimming lessons, and aqua fit
- lifeguarding during recreational swims
- constantly scanning the pool while moving around area
-performing rescues and first aid when needed
- speaking with patrons and parents of swimmers in lessons
-writing report cards and examining swimmer's abilities
- giving constant feedback on how swimmers could improve
-keeping up with training, skills check-lists, and fitness
Pros
interacting and helping people who were interested in learning to swim, being able to help people in need
Cons
pay, busy recreational swims during the summer, short breaks, writing lots of report cards
Productive and Fun workplace
Administrative Executive Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  City Hall, London, OntarioDecember 21, 2011
Working with a team of people from City Hall was a wonderful experience. We worked together finish everything that was set on our desk that day plus start other projects for the next day. Everyone is ready an willing to assits your development in any way they can.
Pros
team oriented, assistance when needed
Cons
slow at times
Everyone was helpful and pleasant
Elections Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 9, 2014
The short time I was there was interesting and I was able to make some new friends and experience a different line of work. I enjoyed the day of the election very much.
Pros
friendly and helpful
Cons
none ... the day was long.
Great people
Facilities Summer Student (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 17, 2014
The evening staff are all very friendly, we worked well together. Some of the jobs were monotonous and gross or tedious, but what job doesn't have those tasks?
Great Place to Work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 3, 2014
Lifeguard through the city lots of fun. You get to meat great people and teach lots of swim lessons. It is lots of fun to interact with the people who come to the pool.
Pros
great tan
Cons
very hot
Cutting grass
Temporary Labourer (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 7, 2014
Great laid back student job. Great workplace with interesting and fun people making for a great work environment.
Pros
flexible
productive and fun workplace
Building Attendant/Facility Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 1, 2014
lock and unlock buildings, administer first aid if needed to a variety of user groups in the building
Learning Something New
Point of Sale Staff (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 15, 2014
Opening Park
Managing Money
Balancing Til
Working closely with the public
Busy working conditions