CITY OF KITCHENER Employee Reviews

Laid back, but fast paced
Ice maintainer, rink attendee (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 November 2016
Working for the city has been a fun two years. It was amazing to meet a whole bunch of new people. The full timers were a joy to work with always having a good time, joking around and such. I enjoyed going to work just to chill back do a job but not be too rushed or overwhelmed.
Pros
Laid back, and fun
Cons
Long hours on some days
Consistent work within a great team
Temporary Operations Staff, Sports-Fields (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 October 2016
A typical day at work would include grooming diamonds in the morning, painting, cutting grass or weed-whacking for the rest of the day. I learned how to operate a large range of vehicles and gained permits through the City cooperation by passing a series of evaluations on each vehicle. I also learned how to lead a crew of my own.
Management and supervisor staff were always available to talk to with any issues or concerns I had and were very understanding about any time required off.
I enjoyed working with everyone I was put on a team with and even become friends with most of them outside of work.
The hardest part of my job at the City of Kitchener was finding work to do in the slow part of the season. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work outside with people whose company I enjoyed.
Pros
Good wages, good hours and consistent schedules
Cons
Sometimes too slow paced for my work ethic and not challenging enough mentally
Being a target isn't fun
Skatium Leader/ Youth Drop-in Leader (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 August 2016
on average being a front line employee for a municipality can be rewarding, but it also comes with being a target for all the problems that people think the City has.

I was threatened with violence, had my physical appearance attacked, had my parenting skills questioned, had people attack me while I was off shift.

During my time with the City, the management shifted greatly... in name only. three managers, zero accountability for poor performers. the only time someone was let go with in my section is when they retired or their job was deemed redundant. This results in some emotionally abusive coworkers gaining greater responsibility.

Ultimately I enjoyed most of my coworkers, had good relationships with 75% of the customers, and had a good case to have peace bonds against 10 - 15 people.
Pros
you are paid well
Cons
you will be a target
Great Enviroment
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 June 2016
I worked in the Aquatic part of the city.The city supplies so many jobs. Walking into work you are greeted by a friendly staff. Everyone gets along and is supportive of each other. I learned a great deal of responsibility and organization. The staff training's are so much fun and you go over so many skills that may have not been used during the last session.The hardest part of the job would probably he unexpected emotional experience after dealing with a rescue or unruly patron. We can be trained for anything but when it comes around the time after can be very unexpected with how you deal with it personally. I haven't had any of these situations but i have heard of a couple.
Good Employer Overall
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 February 2016
The City of Kitchener is a good employer. Wages and environment is competitive vs most employers. Not much ability for movement unless you know people.
Pros
Pension, Benefits
Cons
Poor work life balance
wonderful management wonderful working experience
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 January 2016
I safely cross school children across a busy street to and from school each day. I am on duty for fifty minutes in the morning and another fifty minutes in the afternoon. My manager is kind and understanding and goes to great lengths to satisfy anything I ask for be it a day off or a sick day or vacation time. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and greeting the children and parents I cross each day.....they are truly wonderful people. The kids are delightful and so are the parents. The hardest part is getting the kids across the street safely and dealing with impatient drivers who do not want to slow down or stop in heavy traffic. I have learned to be very patient with these drivers and explain nicely the rules of the crossing zones and then get my children safely across the street Most of the drivers are very courteous and understanding. There are really no bad days on this job at all....It is all pretty perfect.
Pros
Homing my life skills of being curteous, patient and understanding as well as a good listener.
Fun place to work.
Customer Service (Usher) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 September 2015
Excellent place to work

Its also a very fun culture as your working in a place where others are being entertained at the Kitchener Auditorium.
Great benefits and good salary, supervisors not well trained to manage people
Job Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 August 2015
They are really trying to create an open, productive work culture, but the management needs to have better tools and be better trained to deal with people.
Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 May 2015
- teaching children, teenagers and adults the importance of swimming safety and swimming skills
- i have learned to cooperate and work with other types of people
- the hardest part of the job is the cooperation of coworkers
- the most enjoyable part of the job would be the time spent in the water swimming and
Great people with a clear, common, goal.
Desktop Support/Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 February 2015
The City of Kitchener was the best role I've had, ever. The people make the difference, their focus on the task of running a city is clear and benefits everyone who lives there. They love their jobs and it shows.
Enjoyable work environment
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 February 2015
Loved working for the city, I worked for the kitchener market doing maintenance for three years too bad I grew up and had to get a full time job.
A friendly enviroment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, Ontario30 July 2014
It was easy to get along with the other other employees. Everyone was treated equal, and it was a nice place to work at with many areas to be employed in. To be employed by Kitchener Parks and Recreation is just like you would imagine it to be, and it feels so awesome just like as if you were a member of a club or when your just there in general, it makes you feel good about yourself.
Pros
Everything you can think of, Gets you out of the house, Friendly Staff
Cons
N/A
Great place to work but not very challenging
Arena Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 January 2014
I would open the building around 5:30 am. Check and make sure the ice had been resurfaced. If not I would resurface it. I would then check and see if the dressing rooms are cleaned. I would clean the bathrooms and clean up any garbage lying around along with emptying the garbage cans. People would then be assigned dressing rooms and keys.
The water pressure readings must be taken every two hours and equipment must be checked and constantly maintained.
Cash was handled for rentals and stock updated. Security of the building was involved on a daily basis and customer complaints were taken care of. Maintenance of the landscape surrounding the building in winter and summer was required.
I learned about how to handle people and deal with various ages and personalities. I also learned how to operate machinery of various sorts and how to resurface the ice properly to keep it safe and operational.
Management was friendly and listened well to complaints. Staff were fun to work with and always helpful.
The hardest part of the job irregularity of shifts.
he most enjoyable part of my job was driving the ice resurfacer and working with my colleagues.
Pros
Easy, fun job
Cons
Low pay and not very challenging.
Great work place
Building Maintenance ( Part Time ) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 November 2012
I enjoy my partime work with this company my co workers are great and management is easy to deal with. The best part of my job is cleaning floors.
Enjoyable summer job
Youth Drop-in Leader (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 May 2012
-Designed and implemented recreational programming to youth
-Supervise activities and enthusiastically participate in all events

4.3