CITY OF KITCHENER Employee Reviews

Being a target isn't fun
Skatium Leader/ Youth Drop-in Leader (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 24, 2016
on average being a front line employee for a municipality can be rewarding, but it also comes with being a target for all the problems that people think the City has.

I was threatened with violence, had my physical appearance attacked, had my parenting skills questioned, had people attack me while I was off shift.

During my time with the City, the management shifted greatly... in name only. three managers, zero accountability for poor performers. the only time someone was let go with in my section is when they retired or their job was deemed redundant. This results in some emotionally abusive coworkers gaining greater responsibility.

Ultimately I enjoyed most of my coworkers, had good relationships with 75% of the customers, and had a good case to have peace bonds against 10 - 15 people.
Pros
you are paid well
Cons
you will be a target
Great Enviroment
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 18, 2016
I worked in the Aquatic part of the city.The city supplies so many jobs. Walking into work you are greeted by a friendly staff. Everyone gets along and is supportive of each other. I learned a great deal of responsibility and organization. The staff training's are so much fun and you go over so many skills that may have not been used during the last session.The hardest part of the job would probably he unexpected emotional experience after dealing with a rescue or unruly patron. We can be trained for anything but when it comes around the time after can be very unexpected with how you deal with it personally. I haven't had any of these situations but i have heard of a couple.
Good Employer Overall
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 29, 2016
The City of Kitchener is a good employer. Wages and environment is competitive vs most employers. Not much ability for movement unless you know people.
Pros
Pension, Benefits
Cons
Poor work life balance
wonderful management wonderful working experience
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 29, 2016
I safely cross school children across a busy street to and from school each day. I am on duty for fifty minutes in the morning and another fifty minutes in the afternoon. My manager is kind and understanding and goes to great lengths to satisfy anything I ask for be it a day off or a sick day or vacation time. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and greeting the children and parents I cross each day.....they are truly wonderful people. The kids are delightful and so are the parents. The hardest part is getting the kids across the street safely and dealing with impatient drivers who do not want to slow down or stop in heavy traffic. I have learned to be very patient with these drivers and explain nicely the rules of the crossing zones and then get my children safely across the street Most of the drivers are very courteous and understanding. There are really no bad days on this job at all....It is all pretty perfect.
Pros
Homing my life skills of being curteous, patient and understanding as well as a good listener.
Fun place to work.
Customer Service (Usher) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 7, 2015
Excellent place to work

Its also a very fun culture as your working in a place where others are being entertained at the Kitchener Auditorium.
Great benefits and good salary, supervisors not well trained to manage people
Job Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONAugust 21, 2015
They are really trying to create an open, productive work culture, but the management needs to have better tools and be better trained to deal with people.
Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 1, 2015
- teaching children, teenagers and adults the importance of swimming safety and swimming skills
- i have learned to cooperate and work with other types of people
- the hardest part of the job is the cooperation of coworkers
- the most enjoyable part of the job would be the time spent in the water swimming and
Great people with a clear, common, goal.
Desktop Support/Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 25, 2015
The City of Kitchener was the best role I've had, ever. The people make the difference, their focus on the task of running a city is clear and benefits everyone who lives there. They love their jobs and it shows.
Enjoyable work environment
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Loved working for the city, I worked for the kitchener market doing maintenance for three years too bad I grew up and had to get a full time job.
A friendly enviroment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, OntarioJuly 30, 2014
It was easy to get along with the other other employees. Everyone was treated equal, and it was a nice place to work at with many areas to be employed in. To be employed by Kitchener Parks and Recreation is just like you would imagine it to be, and it feels so awesome just like as if you were a member of a club or when your just there in general, it makes you feel good about yourself.
Pros
everything you can think of, gets you out of the house, friendly staff
Cons
n/a
Great place to work but not very challenging
Arena Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 22, 2014
I would open the building around 5:30 am. Check and make sure the ice had been resurfaced. If not I would resurface it. I would then check and see if the dressing rooms are cleaned. I would clean the bathrooms and clean up any garbage lying around along with emptying the garbage cans. People would then be assigned dressing rooms and keys.
The water pressure readings must be taken every two hours and equipment must be checked and constantly maintained.
Cash was handled for rentals and stock updated. Security of the building was involved on a daily basis and customer complaints were taken care of. Maintenance of the landscape surrounding the building in winter and summer was required.
I learned about how to handle people and deal with various ages and personalities. I also learned how to operate machinery of various sorts and how to resurface the ice properly to keep it safe and operational.
Management was friendly and listened well to complaints. Staff were fun to work with and always helpful.
The hardest part of the job irregularity of shifts.
he most enjoyable part of my job was driving the ice resurfacer and working with my colleagues.
Pros
easy, fun job
Cons
low pay and not very challenging.
Great work place
Building Maintenance ( Part Time ) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONNovember 4, 2012
I enjoy my partime work with this company my co workers are great and management is easy to deal with. The best part of my job is cleaning floors.
great first job
Summer Playgrounds Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 17, 2012
Management of 10-12 different dare care programs, staffing training and supervising 22 staff members.

A great way to start my leadership/management career.
Pros
great leadership challenge
Cons
summer job

4.2