CITY OF KINGSTON Employee Reviews in Canada

Good money, lot's of politics
City Plumber (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 23, 2016
Great money, and overall a good place to work s long as you can stay way from the politics, clicks etc. Long term union workers.
Pros
Great money
Cons
Politics of long term union workers
An excellent employer and work environment
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 5, 2016
I have thoroughly enjoyed my work with the City of Kingston to date. I work with an incredible team of who provides a range of services for the corporation's internal business units.

I highly recommend this employer, as they have a very structured management approach and promote a professional environment built upon teamwork, innovation, and respect.
Pros
Excellent approach to management and leadership
Cons
Contract work - unpredictable long-term viability
Challenging and rewarding
Integration Staff (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 2, 2016
This job was challenging and rewarding. Worked with children with disabilities helping them become integrated into the camping experience. Helped camp leaders by guiding them on problem solving and integrating skills and strategies. Enjoyable experience.
fun workplace
Ticket Seller (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONNovember 26, 2015
great work environmment
helpfull co-workers
advancement opportunitties
best part is working with so many great satff members
Pros
great working environment
Cons
not enough hours and no benefits for PT employees
Providing premium customer service
BARTENDER (Current Employee) –  Kingsotn, ONJuly 3, 2015
providing premium customer service to all patrons civilian to celebrity, inventory of product before and after every shift as well as monthly inventory
Pros
would be able to see shows as they went on
Cons
really not much work in the summer
Working Outdoors
Utilities Worker (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJune 28, 2015
Great working with kids/adults who appreciate the effort put into ice making/maintenance. I enjoyed having the ability to work outside regardless of weather conditions.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
Seasonal contract
Interesting fast pace work environment with great coworkers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  279 Wellington St KingstonJune 22, 2015
A typical day at work consists of dealing with the general public, interactions with policing agencies etc. court proceedings. I've learned how to deal with certain personalities with the general public. Management in the legal department are essential to run an administrative office. All coworkers work as team players and on an individual basis depending on the job at hand. The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate people but with the experience is handled at ease. The most enjoyable part are the people I work with to lend assistance when required. It makes for an enjoyable environment to be employed in.
Pros
Union
Rewarding and refreshing work environment.
Parks Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 16, 2015
I enjoyed the time I spent working for the city of Kingston as a parks worker. The work being outdoors made it so that I always had energy when working, and I enjoyed the freedom of a job where my responsibilities were largely self-directed.
Pros
full time, good wages, diverse work, outdoors.
Summer Student Maintenance - Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONMarch 11, 2015
Typically a work day consisted of maintaining the facility, keeping up with cleaning, garbage removal, and general maintenance for the pool/water slide. I learned valuable skills that I feel I can use to help me advance in a career. Management was great, always understanding with shifts and previous commitments (i.e. appointments). Never had a problem with co-workers - everyone was great and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was making sure that the chemical ratio in the pool was correct. Anything over or below normal is an issue. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to work both indoors and outdoors, allowing the day to go by faster than being stuck inside all day.
Taught fitness classes
VOLUNTEER EXPRERIENCE (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Would have lesson plans for fitness classes and teach them to participants.
Pros
people enjoy fitness great clients/participants.
Cons
short shifts and not very often depended on enrollment.
was clean and safe
Mechanic's Assistant - CO-OP (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 27, 2014
liked it there they just had to let me go because it was a co-op placement and didnt have a AZ
Good pay, ok job
City Recreation and Leisure Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONSeptember 16, 2014
The pay with the city is good and there is opportunities after probation to move into fulltime permanent positions but you definitely have to put your time in the trenches to get a spot.

Management is no better than anywhere else, mediocre at best. They don't schedule very well and don't pay attention to schedule conflicts or needs.

As a city cashier you will be the face of Kingston to the general public and even though you work in a city rec & leisure centre, people will approach you about every issue in regards to city administration. You must be professional and apparently, omnipotent about all city issues... Just be able to handle people of all types!
Pros
pay, looks good on a resume
Cons
below to average leadership
If you can get on do it!
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 15, 2013
Best job ever,best group of guys best management staff it doesnt get better.
Pros
to many