CITY OF HAMILTON Employee Reviews

Great Opportunuties
Customer Contact Centre after Hours Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 2, 2015

Great work environment with great staff and customers.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
shift work
Casual and productive environment
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 26, 2015
Very supportive groups of people, great management and supervisors.

Typical day at work answering phones and preparing packages as well as sorting mail.
The easiest part of the job was the customer service and interacting with people, the hardest was getting through tasks that I had not yet been taught when I was on my own. There was always someone to help figure it out.
Comfortable work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 19, 2015
Having working for City of Hamilton was a wonderful experience which taught me to know more about the office environment. I learned to speak some idioms. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing with co-workers and learn a little bit about them. In my last working day I took many pictures with them. I didn't really have a hard job because everyone was willing to help me if I had a question.
Pros
I could learn something new everyday.
Cons
Actually I don;t have cons.
Overall decent summer job
Rob Draper - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 30, 2015
basic labour
learned to operate certain machinery
management could be better
co workers were students
no hard parts of this job
being with students was the most enjoyable
I had a very rewarding time being an employee for the City of Hamilton.
Public Works- Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2015
I enjoyed my time working for the City of Hamilton because it gave me a stronger sense of responsibility and discipline. I was asked every day from my supervisor to show up at 8:00am in uniform ready to work until the job was done. In my last summer at the City of Hamilton I was the oldest student so my supervisor counted on me a lot of times to complete the tougher tasks such as barrels, and cutting the high end sections of the cemetery. Taking on more difficult tasks was the most enjoyable part of the job for me because the sense of satisfaction after completing difficult tasks was undeniably special. Another benefit that I learned from working for the City of Hamilton is how unions work, I was an employee of the government and I understood the affects that unions can have on employees when they have job security. I will always be grateful from my time at the City of Hamilton because of the work experiences that I attained.
Pros
Lots of freedom, great colleagues, excellent work conditions, and good pay.
Cons
The job became very repetitive at times, and I wish their was more variety.
excellent team work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 5, 2015
Learned a new computer software.
Teamwork is incredible
Management was very helpful
There was no hard part of the job due to my qualifications
I enjoy every day working with such a great team
Cons
the temporary position ends soon
Excellent job, very rewarding for self-worth and challenging. Public sector - large company.
Financial Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON CANADAJuly 3, 2015
Provide finance & admin support to Housing Division:
Prepare claims for Homelessness Program on a monthly basis.
Extensive use of Excel to prepare reports for management.
Prepare Accounts reconciliation with proper back-up.
Learn to organize workload and assistant co-workers as required.
Most enjoyable part of this job is completing the tasks on time and with no errors.
Assist with Budget & year end process which may have very tight deadlines and have to depend on other department for complete their task in order to incorporate information at a higher level.
Pros
Variety of tasks able to use all skills
Cons
Shut-down between Christmas & New Year
Enjoyable workspace
Instructor Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 1, 2015
Excellent environment, intelligent and empathetic management. Busy and efficient union. Skilled and experiences coworkers. Well maintained, safe facilities.
Pros
Active Lifestyle
Cons
Hard Work
Good way to obtain volunteering experience
NLS Shadow Guarding (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 20, 2015
Worked together with a team to advertise our campaign (collecting food for food bank) and on the night of Halloween, my team and I went out to collect food from local neighborhoods
Pros
Help out the community
Cons
long perparation
Fun workplace
Recreation Department Summer Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2015
I spent my time ensuring that children throughout Hamilton were able to have a fun filled summer even without going to camp! It was a very enjoyable experience.
Once you're in it's one of the best companies to work for!
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2015
I've been working for the City of Hamilton from a very young age and I've loved every single position I've held. The wage/salary simply can't be beat, and co-workers are always so friendly. Management respects you more than other places I've seen and has your back whether you're unionized or not. Some jobs are contract jobs that require you to have a certain amount of time where you don't work, which is really my only complaint as I'm unemployed for a couple months of the year where I can't really apply to a different job because I'll be returning to work shortly. Advancing is fairly tough if you're not unionized, and getting into the union is also extremely difficult, as is getting your initial job into the City of Hamilton. Put the extra effort in to obtain a position here and you will NOT regret it I assure you!
productive and fun place to work.
Web Solutions Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 8, 2015
Lots of exposure to various projects and technology.
Management is friendly, Lots of resources for day-to-day tasks. Loved the team lunches with colleagues.
Productive and fun place to work. Managers and colleagues are supportive and promote growth.
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2015
I liked extra activities that were organized to promote teamwork and productivity. From birthdays to project completion celebrations... it was fun to work there.
School Crossing Guard
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 4, 2015
The kids and parents are great. The traffic is bad. People going through yellow and red lights, not safe. I do keep myself and kids safe, looking all ways even though I have the right of way. Hardest part is standing out in the cold weather.
Pros
good kids
Cons
not enough hours
Good workplace
Program Facility Monitor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 21, 2015
Work is work - City of Hamilton offers good jobs; especially for students. Good hours and plenty of hours available if needed for anybody.

Great work environment with great staff and customers.
City of Hamilton Camp Counselor 2012
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 10, 2015
My mornings at the camp would consist of doing a head count of all the kids in my group, play games and sing songs. We would have a daily schedule such as crafts, swimming and more physical activities. What I learned from this experience is how to come up with ideas on the spot and how to manage a large group of people ranging from various ages. However, I did not return back to the job because my co-workers and I did not get along very well for whatever reason.
productive and fun workplace
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 17, 2014
I gained a loot of experience, I enjoyed working for the company
Pros
Cons
n/a
Easy going workplace, but rather boring and not much incentive to be productive.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 23, 2014
While the job was rather easy and there wasn't much supervision, the culture within the work place was not very impressive.

Duties or locations weren't adequately organized and were poorly explained at the beginning of the job.

If you're looking for an easy summer job that you can make money and spend time outdoors then it's exactly what you would be looking for.
Pros
easy going
Cons
poor guidance, and low quality tools/materials.
Summer Work
Camp Counselor for preschool children ages (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 14, 2014
Helped children at day camp

Provided programming with games and crafts for ages 2-4
Workplace culture
Business Analyst / Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Busy and stimulating
Nice people
Everyday is a new experience
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
worlkload

4.3