CITY OF HAMILTON Employee Reviews

Serving players, and parents at hockey arenas
Snack Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 January 2016
Very easy and enjoyable. I work by myself. It's all about preparation so you are not struggling during your shift when there is long lines. Don't usually have to communicate with management but I still have a very good relationship with my boss.
Pros
work alone
Cons
hard to get shifts
Productive and fun workplace
Financial Assistant / Deliverer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2016
Great place to work, amazing people. Great hours and management, they really have it together workflow is great and communication between coworkers is exceptional
Positive work environment
Caregiver support facilitator (Current Employee) –  Macassa Lodge14 January 2016
Excellent and proactive employee support in a flexible and encouraging workplace with strong leadership. Higher education and personal advancement are a priority for employees who wish to continue studies.
Pros
supportive climate
Cons
golden handcuff attitude
Productive, experience and high motivated work environment
Traffic Signals Technologist (co-op student) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 February 2016
-Carry out analyses and studies concerning the effectiveness of existing municipal traffic controls
-Responsible for ensuring municipal traffic controls are in place for existing infrastructure to facilitate safe and efficient vehicular movement
-Supervised building construction scheduled and negotiated with contractors and skilled trades
-Participated in site investigation and generated reports
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Lack of resources
Enjoyable and relaxed setting with excellent leadership
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, N3 February 2016
I enjoyed working for the City of Hamilton as a summer student for 4 years. I worked at the same park for the time period and found that I gained experience in communicating with the community. It has helped me to increase many of my skills and working with other people. My co-workers were amazing and that made the job so much more beneficial. I was able to input my own ideas and concerns to make the workplace and environment more beneficial for the community.
Pros
Gained personal experience and skills
Cons
Working in all weather conditions
Excellent Benefits
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 January 2016
Excellent pay and benefits. Very difficult to progress beyond clerical, even with Business Analysis Course successfully completed.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Succesion Planning not available to all as far as training programs are concerned.
Casual and productive environment
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 October 2015
Very supportive groups of people, great management and supervisors.

Typical day at work answering phones and preparing packages as well as sorting mail.
The easiest part of the job was the customer service and interacting with people, the hardest was getting through tasks that I had not yet been taught when I was on my own. There was always someone to help figure it out.
I had a very rewarding time being an employee for the City of Hamilton.
Public Works- Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 September 2015
I enjoyed my time working for the City of Hamilton because it gave me a stronger sense of responsibility and discipline. I was asked every day from my supervisor to show up at 8:00am in uniform ready to work until the job was done. In my last summer at the City of Hamilton I was the oldest student so my supervisor counted on me a lot of times to complete the tougher tasks such as barrels, and cutting the high end sections of the cemetery. Taking on more difficult tasks was the most enjoyable part of the job for me because the sense of satisfaction after completing difficult tasks was undeniably special. Another benefit that I learned from working for the City of Hamilton is how unions work, I was an employee of the government and I understood the affects that unions can have on employees when they have job security. I will always be grateful from my time at the City of Hamilton because of the work experiences that I attained.
Pros
Lots of freedom, great colleagues, excellent work conditions, and good pay.
Cons
The job became very repetitive at times, and I wish their was more variety.
Excellent job, very rewarding for self-worth and challenging. Public sector - large company.
Financial Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON CANADA3 July 2015
Provide finance & admin support to Housing Division:
Prepare claims for Homelessness Program on a monthly basis.
Extensive use of Excel to prepare reports for management.
Prepare Accounts reconciliation with proper back-up.
Learn to organize workload and assistant co-workers as required.
Most enjoyable part of this job is completing the tasks on time and with no errors.
Assist with Budget & year end process which may have very tight deadlines and have to depend on other department for complete their task in order to incorporate information at a higher level.
Pros
Variety of tasks able to use all skills
Cons
Shut-down between Christmas & New Year
Childcare
Assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2016
It was not a job it was volunteer but I enjoyed everything about it. The people were always new with some exceptions, it was always fun to see new faces mixed in with the ones that I knew already. There was always something to do, if there were no children at the time we looked through and decided on different games / activities that we could do with certain age groups.
Pros
Got to work with children
Cons
Had to leave when my term was up
n/a
Co-op Student –Engineering Design (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 November 2015
Good work experience with them during master studies with a group of people. Nice manager,nice co-workers.really a good chance to start a career.
Overall decent summer job
Rob Draper - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 September 2015
basic labour
learned to operate certain machinery
management could be better
co workers were students
no hard parts of this job
being with students was the most enjoyable
excellent team work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 August 2015
Learned a new computer software.
Teamwork is incredible
Management was very helpful
There was no hard part of the job due to my qualifications
I enjoy every day working with such a great team
Cons
the temporary position ends soon
Comfortable work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 October 2015
Having working for City of Hamilton was a wonderful experience which taught me to know more about the office environment. I learned to speak some idioms. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing with co-workers and learn a little bit about them. In my last working day I took many pictures with them. I didn't really have a hard job because everyone was willing to help me if I had a question.
Pros
I could learn something new everyday.
Cons
Actually I don;t have cons.
Easy going workplace, but rather boring and not much incentive to be productive.
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 November 2014
While the job was rather easy and there wasn't much supervision, the culture within the work place was not very impressive.

Duties or locations weren't adequately organized and were poorly explained at the beginning of the job.

If you're looking for an easy summer job that you can make money and spend time outdoors then it's exactly what you would be looking for.
Pros
easy going
Cons
poor guidance, and low quality tools/materials.
The Job
general labour (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2016
Typical work days commence around 7 am at the Rymal public works yard. Daily tasks are giving out and divided between the Lead hands and superintendents.
Pros
Work Enviorment
Cons
non
clean it shine it look at it again!
cleaner/home support worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON 16 July 2013
catch the bus at 7 am off to clients home get their knock or punch in apartment number say who I am make my way up or in their homes say hello and get the cleaning products and get to work after job is done ill check around to see if it needs to be done again, so I know I completed the job right!

what i have learned from this job is to have more patients to communicate more , better myself for another job, experiencing new jobs , how to manage time better , to set an alarm hour before you get up for work, be on time!

management , leader, motivate and take on different responsibilities everyday.

honestly i got along with all my co-workers since i am a peoples person i love talking and meeting new people so its not hard for me to get along with people, I been working at helping hands and all the co-workers their who I met in the past 6 months they are all great people!

the hardest part of the job i cant think of any at all right now i liked this job it kept me busy and on my feet

the most enjoyable part of the job is waking up every morning and knowing I am going to put a smile on someone's face after I leave their homes and knowing that their in a clean environment and getting out and its also great exercise to !

Pros
keeping busy
Cons
not doing anything
Lots of new things to learn
Application Developer (as Co-Op Student) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 February 2013
a typical day at work: Solve user issues, work on small and mid scale project
what you learned: Many technical things + How Corporate works
management: Every thing is completely structured
your co-workers: All are highly educated and experienced
the hardest part of the job: None
the most enjoyable part of the job: Start Learning Sharepoint
Pros
its in jackson square, easy to get variety of food
Enjoyable workspace
Instructor Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 July 2015
Excellent environment, intelligent and empathetic management. Busy and efficient union. Skilled and experiences coworkers. Well maintained, safe facilities.
Pros
Active Lifestyle
Cons
Hard Work
Excellent workers poor work life balance
personal support worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 June 2013
I really enjoy working for the City of Hamilton in Long term care. I have held many positions there and have worked many different shifts. I enjoy working with my co workers and we work as a team. At this job we get one weekend off every 6 weeks. It can be difficult to get additional weekends off as they are limited by the contract.
A typical day starts off with resident care. We get residents washed and dressed before 8 am. We then serve breakfast and feed those who need help. After breakfast residents are toileted and taken to activities. We then serve lunch. After lunch we toilet and put required residents to bed. At 2 pm we serve snack. We chart on each resident and do shift change at 3pm.
I have great co workers. When there is a problem we are able to talk through and resolve differences. We are aware that we spend are time supporting both are residents and are co workers. we are a learning enviroment and we learn from each other.
I really enjoy my job and find most of my day enjoyable. The hardest part of my job is realizing that some people are negetive and not allowing this to effect me. I also find the comute and working every weekend difficult.
Pros
excellent benefits and pension plan
Cons
one weekend off every 6

4.3