CITY OF HAMILTON Employee Reviews

The Worst!
Public Health Dept. (Current Employee) –  Public Health Dept, Hamilton, ON7 November 2016
Save yourself for a terrible experience.
Lazy, unqualified staff who fail to do their jobs. Managers who are inexperienced and repeated break various rules - including human rights codes and various privacy laws.
Upper leadership who does not care.
These are your tax dollars at work.

Unsupportive environment that breeds hostility and inappropriate staff behaviour that is never addressed.
Great benefits, but you'll need them, because you'll be on sick leave or stress leave pretty quickly.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything else - work environemnt, supervisors, coworkers....
good hrs
roads (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 May 2016
most boring job in the world, besides being a security guard bunch of lazy bums half of them could not make it in real world forman are all incompetent and lazy terrible culture you get real lazy working for city of hamilton
Pros
money benifits
Cons
bunch of jerk run the city
Productive and Fun
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 May 2016
Great corporation to work for with many benefits and great team of co-workers. An abundance of professional career paths to take within the City of Hamilton.
City of hamilton is a joke
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton/dundas/ancaster2 August 2016
I had worked there for several years and left simply because the management is corrupt and a joke. They hire people with absolutely no related skills required for the job and have no idea how to manage important situations with in the city.. I do not recommend working for the city of hamilton to anyone.. STAY AWAY!
Pros
20 minute paid lunch that is timed to the second
Cons
Management uneducated and are unprofessional
good working enviroment and lots of room to advance and try other jobs
Administrative assistant to Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 July 2016
For all the jobs I held within the city of Hamilton, I found the two I liked the best was working at Wentworth Lodge with seniors and in the Tobacco Control Unit. Those two jobs were interesting and never dull. There were good supportive managers and also some that should never have been in the position of authority.
Pros
Good hours, good wages and benefits
good pay and benefits
District Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2016
Used to be a top employer a number of years ago but due to a lack of experience in new management not so top of the employers list any more. It's a pity because there is a lot of good experienced people among our workforce
City of Hamilton
Senior Project Manager - Operations (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 August 2016
The City of Hamilton is on the Rise. And so is the Municipal Government. The Public Works depart really does bring the city to life. Our citizen facing services impact the community 24/7/365
Pros
Good Work life balance
Cons
slow hiring process
Great people and teamwork
Administrative Assistant (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 September 2016
Would love to work there again. Great hours. Always something new going on. I drove the courier van delivering internal mail and water samples across the city. Then in the afternoon I was responsible for data entry of the information received. Active team member in S3P program where I received packages, approved paperwork, called with the approval of the work and sent package off to finance department for payment.
Pros
People and working hours
Cons
Contract
fun work place
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 May 2016
Working for the City Of Hamilton was stressful but very enjoyable. I would go to work, sit in my desk and look through my emails to see if my mentor has asked me to do any jobs within the office. Typically they would be for me to print stuff off or open/ close files.

What I have learned in this field is that you have to be VERY organized, work at an reasonable pace, and know what work is most important to lest important.

My co-workers were very understanding and helped me a lot. They were serious but playful at the same time. Everyone was very appreciated for the work I was doing and even told me so.

The hardest part about working at the City Of Hamilton was having a big book to organise, tab and bind in the same day because they had to be in court the next day.

The most enjoyable part about working for the City was that everyone helped out one another. If a person was struggling one of our members helped. They also had different ethnic groups working and they would bring in food for us to try.
Productive and fun workplace
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 October 2016
A typical day at work involves serving Chedoke Civic Golf Course members, golfers, and the public. The staff are great and it is a very fun and enjoyable place to work.
great schedule and management
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 October 2016
Working for the City of Hamilton was one of the most rewarding jobs I gave had. Working with great people, I learned a lot from everyone I worked with there.
Productive workplace with a good attitude that encourages positive interaction with the public.
Skate Monitor/Rink Sweeper. (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 March 2016
As a skate monitor, a typical day starts with a public skate. This is very enjoyable for me, I grew up playing hockey so I often look forward to working. After the skate, my co-workers and I clean the hallways and changerooms. Shifts without public skates entail pushing nets during hourly ice cleaning as well as ensuring change rooms are vacated and cleaned on time. The hardest part would have to be dealing with the occasional parent that needs escorting out of the building due to a conflict, referees may eject parents from the stands if they become too loud or offensive.
Once you're in it's one of the best companies to work for!
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2015
I've been working for the City of Hamilton from a very young age and I've loved every single position I've held. The wage/salary simply can't be beat, and co-workers are always so friendly. Management respects you more than other places I've seen and has your back whether you're unionized or not. Some jobs are contract jobs that require you to have a certain amount of time where you don't work, which is really my only complaint as I'm unemployed for a couple months of the year where I can't really apply to a different job because I'll be returning to work shortly. Advancing is fairly tough if you're not unionized, and getting into the union is also extremely difficult, as is getting your initial job into the City of Hamilton. Put the extra effort in to obtain a position here and you will NOT regret it I assure you!
It was mostly a game of politics and back end bull
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 November 2015
The hours were wonderful. Working between the hours of 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm is a dream come true for most people with a family.

The pay if you were a full time or full time contractor was phenomenal as well, being really high ($28-32/h upwards of $40) at the starting tiers with pay advancement going as high as six figures easily.

The people were another story. Most of them were out to cut you down or there is rampant incompetence due to union support. It is extremely difficult to remove unsavory or ineffective individuals after they pass their probationary period.

There were a few beams of light in the mud, but, not enough for me to say the people is what you come to the City for. It's the job security, the pay, and the ability to have as much time with your family and friends while having employment.
Enjpyed the people i worked with
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 May 2016
-Cleaned homes through Helping Hands Program
-Cleaned windows
-Cleaned bathrooms and hallways
-Worked as a member of a team and provided Clean safe environments
-used cleaning products safely according to the health and safety guidelines
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
lack of work to contonue employment with Omni Basement
productive and fun place with a relaxing enviroment
Skate Patrol (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 December 2015
This job has a great enviroment with excellent co-workers, and great management. This job has taught me great customer service skills and how to properly maintain a building of high working order. The hardest part of the job is time management, if you are working a tournament you are always on the go and might miss some things that you have to get. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is a hockey arena and allows me to have a good break by watching some hockey.
Face paced, municipal environment
Citizen Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 July 2016
This job includes multi-tasking, business accounting and knowledge of government legislation. It is an excellent work environment with daily learning opportunities.
Serving players, and parents at hockey arenas
Snack Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 January 2016
Very easy and enjoyable. I work by myself. It's all about preparation so you are not struggling during your shift when there is long lines. Don't usually have to communicate with management but I still have a very good relationship with my boss.
Pros
work alone
Cons
hard to get shifts
Productive and fun workplace
Financial Assistant / Deliverer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2016
Great place to work, amazing people. Great hours and management, they really have it together workflow is great and communication between coworkers is exceptional
Positive work environment
Caregiver support facilitator (Current Employee) –  Macassa Lodge14 January 2016
Excellent and proactive employee support in a flexible and encouraging workplace with strong leadership. Higher education and personal advancement are a priority for employees who wish to continue studies.
Pros
supportive climate
Cons
golden handcuff attitude

4.3