City of Hamilton Employee Review

View all City of Hamilton reviews

Excellent workers poor work life balance
personal support worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 June 2013
I really enjoy working for the City of Hamilton in Long term care. I have held many positions there and have worked many different shifts. I enjoy working with my co workers and we work as a team. At this job we get one weekend off every 6 weeks. It can be difficult to get additional weekends off as they are limited by the contract.
A typical day starts off with resident care. We get residents washed and dressed before 8 am. We then serve breakfast and feed those who need help. After breakfast residents are toileted and taken to activities. We then serve lunch. After lunch we toilet and put required residents to bed. At 2 pm we serve snack. We chart on each resident and do shift change at 3pm.
I have great co workers. When there is a problem we are able to talk through and resolve differences. We are aware that we spend are time supporting both are residents and are co workers. we are a learning enviroment and we learn from each other.
I really enjoy my job and find most of my day enjoyable. The hardest part of my job is realizing that some people are negetive and not allowing this to effect me. I also find the comute and working every weekend difficult.
Pros
excellent benefits and pension plan
Cons
one weekend off every 6

Other City of Hamilton Employee Reviews

Best workplace ever
Receptionist - Recreation Department (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 September 2017
Love going to work every day.. couldn't imagine my life without my job. Hours are great balance for daily life - lots of chance to advance in the company. Lots of fun but also professional
Overall, a very desirable place to work
Labourer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 August 2017
A typical day at work:
Interesting people and duties plus low keyed and no pressure.
What you learned:
How important "essential services" are.
Management:
Reasonable and helpful.
Workplace culture:
Simple. Get the job done.
Hardest part of the job:
Witnessing peoples grief up close. (cemetery)
The most enjoyable part of the job:
Knowing that we have done the best we can do.

Working for any Municipal Government is a job that many people desire, and after working for the city of Hamilton for thirty years it is understandable why this is so.
Pros
Exceptional Benefits, Exceptional Pension
Cons
Working at a cemetery needs to be done, but depressing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4