CITY OF HAMILTON Employee Reviews

The Worst!
Public Health Dept. (Current Employee) –  Public Health Dept, Hamilton, ON7 November 2016
Save yourself for a terrible experience.
Lazy, unqualified staff who fail to do their jobs. Managers who are inexperienced and repeated break various rules - including human rights codes and various privacy laws.
Upper leadership who does not care.
These are your tax dollars at work.

Unsupportive environment that breeds hostility and inappropriate staff behaviour that is never addressed.
Great benefits, but you'll need them, because you'll be on sick leave or stress leave pretty quickly.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything else - work environemnt, supervisors, coworkers....
Productive and fun workplace
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 October 2016
A typical day at work involves serving Chedoke Civic Golf Course members, golfers, and the public. The staff are great and it is a very fun and enjoyable place to work.
great schedule and management
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 October 2016
Working for the City of Hamilton was one of the most rewarding jobs I gave had. Working with great people, I learned a lot from everyone I worked with there.
good pay and benefits
District Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2016
Used to be a top employer a number of years ago but due to a lack of experience in new management not so top of the employers list any more. It's a pity because there is a lot of good experienced people among our workforce
Great people and teamwork
Administrative Assistant (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 September 2016
Would love to work there again. Great hours. Always something new going on. I drove the courier van delivering internal mail and water samples across the city. Then in the afternoon I was responsible for data entry of the information received. Active team member in S3P program where I received packages, approved paperwork, called with the approval of the work and sent package off to finance department for payment.
Pros
People and working hours
Cons
Contract
City of Hamilton
Senior Project Manager - Operations (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 August 2016
The City of Hamilton is on the Rise. And so is the Municipal Government. The Public Works depart really does bring the city to life. Our citizen facing services impact the community 24/7/365
Pros
Good Work life balance
Cons
slow hiring process
City of hamilton is a joke
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton/dundas/ancaster2 August 2016
I had worked there for several years and left simply because the management is corrupt and a joke. They hire people with absolutely no related skills required for the job and have no idea how to manage important situations with in the city.. I do not recommend working for the city of hamilton to anyone.. STAY AWAY!
Pros
20 minute paid lunch that is timed to the second
Cons
Management uneducated and are unprofessional
good working enviroment and lots of room to advance and try other jobs
Administrative assistant to Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 July 2016
For all the jobs I held within the city of Hamilton, I found the two I liked the best was working at Wentworth Lodge with seniors and in the Tobacco Control Unit. Those two jobs were interesting and never dull. There were good supportive managers and also some that should never have been in the position of authority.
Pros
Good hours, good wages and benefits
Face paced, municipal environment
Citizen Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 July 2016
This job includes multi-tasking, business accounting and knowledge of government legislation. It is an excellent work environment with daily learning opportunities.
Productive and Fun
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 May 2016
Great corporation to work for with many benefits and great team of co-workers. An abundance of professional career paths to take within the City of Hamilton.
fun work place
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 May 2016
Working for the City Of Hamilton was stressful but very enjoyable. I would go to work, sit in my desk and look through my emails to see if my mentor has asked me to do any jobs within the office. Typically they would be for me to print stuff off or open/ close files.

What I have learned in this field is that you have to be VERY organized, work at an reasonable pace, and know what work is most important to lest important.

My co-workers were very understanding and helped me a lot. They were serious but playful at the same time. Everyone was very appreciated for the work I was doing and even told me so.

The hardest part about working at the City Of Hamilton was having a big book to organise, tab and bind in the same day because they had to be in court the next day.

The most enjoyable part about working for the City was that everyone helped out one another. If a person was struggling one of our members helped. They also had different ethnic groups working and they would bring in food for us to try.
good hrs
roads (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 May 2016
most boring job in the world, besides being a security guard bunch of lazy bums half of them could not make it in real world forman are all incompetent and lazy terrible culture you get real lazy working for city of hamilton
Pros
money benifits
Cons
bunch of jerk run the city
Enjpyed the people i worked with
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 May 2016
-Cleaned homes through Helping Hands Program
-Cleaned windows
-Cleaned bathrooms and hallways
-Worked as a member of a team and provided Clean safe environments
-used cleaning products safely according to the health and safety guidelines
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
lack of work to contonue employment with Omni Basement
Productive workplace with a good attitude that encourages positive interaction with the public.
Skate Monitor/Rink Sweeper. (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 March 2016
As a skate monitor, a typical day starts with a public skate. This is very enjoyable for me, I grew up playing hockey so I often look forward to working. After the skate, my co-workers and I clean the hallways and changerooms. Shifts without public skates entail pushing nets during hourly ice cleaning as well as ensuring change rooms are vacated and cleaned on time. The hardest part would have to be dealing with the occasional parent that needs escorting out of the building due to a conflict, referees may eject parents from the stands if they become too loud or offensive.
Productive, experience and high motivated work environment
Traffic Signals Technologist (co-op student) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 February 2016
-Carry out analyses and studies concerning the effectiveness of existing municipal traffic controls
-Responsible for ensuring municipal traffic controls are in place for existing infrastructure to facilitate safe and efficient vehicular movement
-Supervised building construction scheduled and negotiated with contractors and skilled trades
-Participated in site investigation and generated reports
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Lack of resources
Productive and fun workplace
Financial Assistant / Deliverer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2016
Great place to work, amazing people. Great hours and management, they really have it together workflow is great and communication between coworkers is exceptional
Enjoyable and relaxed setting with excellent leadership
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, N3 February 2016
I enjoyed working for the City of Hamilton as a summer student for 4 years. I worked at the same park for the time period and found that I gained experience in communicating with the community. It has helped me to increase many of my skills and working with other people. My co-workers were amazing and that made the job so much more beneficial. I was able to input my own ideas and concerns to make the workplace and environment more beneficial for the community.
Pros
Gained personal experience and skills
Cons
Working in all weather conditions
Serving players, and parents at hockey arenas
Snack Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 January 2016
Very easy and enjoyable. I work by myself. It's all about preparation so you are not struggling during your shift when there is long lines. Don't usually have to communicate with management but I still have a very good relationship with my boss.
Pros
work alone
Cons
hard to get shifts
Childcare
Assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2016
It was not a job it was volunteer but I enjoyed everything about it. The people were always new with some exceptions, it was always fun to see new faces mixed in with the ones that I knew already. There was always something to do, if there were no children at the time we looked through and decided on different games / activities that we could do with certain age groups.
Pros
Got to work with children
Cons
Had to leave when my term was up
Positive work environment
Caregiver support facilitator (Current Employee) –  Macassa Lodge14 January 2016
Excellent and proactive employee support in a flexible and encouraging workplace with strong leadership. Higher education and personal advancement are a priority for employees who wish to continue studies.
Pros
supportive climate
Cons
golden handcuff attitude

4.3