CITY OF HAMILTON

CITY OF HAMILTON Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
clean it shine it look at it again!
cleaner/home support worker (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 16, 2013
Pros: keeping busy
Cons: not doing anything
catch the bus at 7 am off to clients home get their knock or punch in apartment number say who I am make my way up or in their homes say hello and get the cleaning products and get to work after job is done ill check around to see if it needs to be done again, so I know I completed the job right!

what i have learned from this job is to have more patients to communicate more , better myself for another job, experiencing new jobs , how to manage time better , to set an alarm hour before you get up for work, be on time!

management , leader, motivate and take on different responsibilities everyday.

honestly i got along with all my co-workers since i am a peoples person i love talking and meeting new people so its not hard for me to get along with people, I been working at helping hands and all the co-workers their who I met in the past 6 months they are all great people!

the hardest part of the job i cant think of any at all right now i liked this job it kept me busy and on my feet

the most enjoyable part of the job is waking up every morning and knowing I am going to put a smile on someone's face after I leave their homes and knowing that their in a clean environment and getting out and its also great exercise to !
Excellent workers poor work life balance
personal support worker (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 2, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits and pension plan
Cons: one weekend off every 6
I really enjoy working for the City of Hamilton in Long term care. I have held many positions there and have worked many different shifts. I enjoy working with my co workers and we work as a team. At this job we get one weekend off every 6 weeks. It can be difficult to get additional weekends off as they are limited by the contract.
A typical day starts off with resident care. We get residents washed and dressed before 8 am. We then serve breakfast and feed those who need help. After breakfast residents are toileted and taken to activities. We then serve lunch. After lunch we toilet and put required residents to bed. At 2 pm we serve snack. We chart on each resident and do shift change at 3pm.
I have great co workers. When there is a problem we are able to talk through and resolve differences. We are aware that we spend are time supporting both are residents and are co workers. we are a learning enviroment and we learn from each other.
I really enjoy my job and find most of my day enjoyable. The hardest part of my job is realizing that some people are negetive and not allowing this to effect me. I also find the comute and working every weekend difficult.
I had a very rewarding time being an employee for the City of Hamilton.
Public Works- Summer Student (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: Lots of freedom, great colleagues, excellent work conditions, and good pay.
Cons: The job became very repetitive at times, and I wish their was more variety.
I enjoyed my time working for the City of Hamilton because it gave me a stronger sense of responsibility and discipline. I was asked every day from my supervisor to show up at 8:00am in uniform ready to work until the job was done. In my last summer at the City of Hamilton I was the oldest student so my supervisor counted on me a lot of times to complete the tougher tasks such as barrels, and cutting the high end sections of the cemetery. Taking on more difficult tasks was the most enjoyable part of the job for me because the sense of satisfaction after completing difficult tasks was undeniably special. Another benefit that I learned from working for the City of Hamilton is how unions work, I was an employee of the government and I understood the affects that unions can have on employees when they have job security. I will always be grateful from my time at the City of Hamilton because of the work experiences that I attained.
Interesting, fun working environment
Tobacco Test Shopper (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: very fair wage
Cons: not a fair amount of hours available
A typical day at work would include accompanying my supervisor and possibly other Test Shoppers to various locations with in the City of Hamilton, attempt to purchase tobacco, write and communicate my observations to my supervisor and fill out reports as required. While on the Job I am responsible for paying close attention to detail (appropriate signage, appearance of store and clerks).
I have learned how to troubleshoot, organize, and communicate my observations. My co-workers are great people to work with; very friendly and work well together. The hardest part of the job is constantly writing in a small space. The most enjoyable part of the job is the experience; not a lot of people have this job and it's great because I am always in a different situation, learning new things.
Once you're in it's one of the best companies to work for!
Various Positions (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2015
I've been working for the City of Hamilton from a very young age and I've loved every single position I've held. The wage/salary simply can't be beat, and co-workers are always so friendly. Management respects you more than other places I've seen and has your back whether you're unionized or not. Some jobs are contract jobs that require you to have a certain amount of time where you don't work, which is really my only complaint as I'm unemployed for a couple months of the year where I can't really apply to a different job because I'll be returning to work shortly. Advancing is fairly tough if you're not unionized, and getting into the union is also extremely difficult, as is getting your initial job into the City of Hamilton. Put the extra effort in to obtain a position here and you will NOT regret it I assure you!
It was mostly a game of politics and back end bull
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 6, 2015
The hours were wonderful. Working between the hours of 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm is a dream come true for most people with a family.

The pay if you were a full time or full time contractor was phenomenal as well, being really high ($28-32/h upwards of $40) at the starting tiers with pay advancement going as high as six figures easily.

The people were another story. Most of them were out to cut you down or there is rampant incompetence due to union support. It is extremely difficult to remove unsavory or ineffective individuals after they pass their probationary period.

There were a few beams of light in the mud, but, not enough for me to say the people is what you come to the City for. It's the job security, the pay, and the ability to have as much time with your family and friends while having employment.
Flexible work hours to fit my demanding school schedule
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 24, 2014
• Program plan for specific courses taught
• Courses range from sports, cooking, music, and science
• Dealing with children aged 3-12, as well as teens 13-18, and adults
• Making sure parents are happy with the courses taught
• Additional duties include overseeing programs and making sure they are running smoothly
• Directly supervising receptionist staff, program leaders, and instructors
• Dealing with instructors, making sure they are taking their classes seriously, and evaluating them
• Opening and locking up the recreation centers
• Making sure rooms are clean and ready to be used
• Dealing with patrons during special events, answering questions, directing them on where they need to go
Excellent job, very rewarding for self-worth and challenging. Public sector - large company.
Financial Assistant I (Former Employee), Hamilton, ON CANADAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Variety of tasks able to use all skills
Cons: Shut-down between Christmas & New Year
Provide finance & admin support to Housing Division:
Prepare claims for Homelessness Program on a monthly basis.
Extensive use of Excel to prepare reports for management.
Prepare Accounts reconciliation with proper back-up.
Learn to organize workload and assistant co-workers as required.
Most enjoyable part of this job is completing the tasks on time and with no errors.
Assist with Budget & year end process which may have very tight deadlines and have to depend on other department for complete their task in order to incorporate information at a higher level.
A great way to earn money at a young age
Coach children (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: working with children
Cons: limited hours
Typical day at work would be greeting kids, teach the class then continue teaching classes and either go home or guard the pool after lessons. I learned time managment skills, social skills, teaching skills and learned to be more confident. My co-workers were all really nice people all willing to answer any of my questions and always had eachothers backs. The hardest part of the job was the report cards. Going home and finishing everyone of those report cards on time, putting the right stickers with the right badge on the right report card for the right student. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the kids have fun in my classes and helping them succeed.
Productive workplace with fun work culture.
Summer student worker (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: free golf
Cons: working in extreme weather conditions
Working for the city of Hamilton was a great opportunity as it gave me a chance to work not only for the city but for its people. Our jobs included maintaing the wellness of parks and overall appearance. Duties included trimming grass, trees, litter control and garbage disposal. The public is always happy with our work and we always received compliments on our work and I believe that is because we were trained well and taught how to conduct ourselves at work properly. We always strived to maximize output and maintain our daily quotas.
Good work environment
Construction Inspector (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 1, 2013
Worked as a construction inspector responsible for road cuts. I was on the road all day every day following around a construction crew recording materials used for repairs to the road. I learned good organization skills as I did over 3000 different road cuts over an eight month period. My managers were very helpful and patient with me. My co-workers were always there to help me when I needed assistance and they also made the day go by faster. The hardest part of my job was keeping all the paperwork organized. The most enjoyable part of my job was being outside all day and not sitting at a desk.
Enjoyable and relaxed setting with excellent leadership
Summer Student (Former Employee), Hamilton, NFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Gained personal experience and skills
Cons: Working in all weather conditions
I enjoyed working for the City of Hamilton as a summer student for 4 years. I worked at the same park for the time period and found that I gained experience in communicating with the community. It has helped me to increase many of my skills and working with other people. My co-workers were amazing and that made the job so much more beneficial. I was able to input my own ideas and concerns to make the workplace and environment more beneficial for the community.
a typical day at work
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 17, 2014
Recruited summer students by using HR software such as HRIS, PeopleSoft and Excel.
Generated, posted and monitored job postings.
Screened resumes (online and hardcopy), setup interviews via email/telephone, interviewed and evaluated applicants' qualifications.
Conducted tests to assess eligibility requirements for the applicants before proceeding to the selection process.
Interviewed applicants to obtained in-depth assessment of professionalism, employment history, certifications and organizational best fit.
Performed reference checks
productive and fun place with a relaxing enviroment
Skate Patrol (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 12, 2015
This job has a great enviroment with excellent co-workers, and great management. This job has taught me great customer service skills and how to properly maintain a building of high working order. The hardest part of the job is time management, if you are working a tournament you are always on the go and might miss some things that you have to get. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is a hockey arena and allows me to have a good break by watching some hockey.
Fun Workplace
Pre-natal Intake Secretary (Former Employee), Dundas, OntarioJanuary 2, 2013
- Busy switchboard consisting of pregnant women wanting to book pre-natal classes, wonderful opportunity to connect with women at this most exciting time in their lives.
- Working with a group of medical professionals was very new - enjoyed supporting a team and experiencing the very different needs of a Public Health Services department as opposed to a professional office environment.
- Co-workers were so helpful in learning the ropes - really engage you to part of the team
Easy going workplace, but rather boring and not much incentive to be productive.
General Labourer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 23, 2014
Pros: easy going
Cons: poor guidance, and low quality tools/materials.
While the job was rather easy and there wasn't much supervision, the culture within the work place was not very impressive.

Duties or locations weren't adequately organized and were poorly explained at the beginning of the job.

If you're looking for an easy summer job that you can make money and spend time outdoors then it's exactly what you would be looking for.
fulfilling opportunity to work towards bettering local community
Summer Student Employee (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 17, 2013
Pros: working hours (7am-3pm)
Cons: stigma
The City of Hamilton promoting an environment of equal opportunity and respect, giving everyone a decent wage. The hardest part of working for the city was dealing with the bureaucracy. You were given your daily/weekly tasks and once completely you were stuck in limbo since all extra activities would first need to be either reviewed and approved by the supervisors or superintendent.
City of Hamilton Camp Counselor 2012
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 10, 2015
My mornings at the camp would consist of doing a head count of all the kids in my group, play games and sing songs. We would have a daily schedule such as crafts, swimming and more physical activities. What I learned from this experience is how to come up with ideas on the spot and how to manage a large group of people ranging from various ages. However, I did not return back to the job because my co-workers and I did not get along very well for whatever reason.
Typical working day
Operations Technologist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 1, 2012
Pros: feeling of completing a project successfuly
Cons: not enough energy during the hours of operation
Interacting with co-workers and properly communicating with them is a crucial part of everyday basis especially when you have more than 4 people working on the same project.

I'm eager to learn, even if that's coming to work and instead of making it "typical" i will further my knowledge by asking more questions and enhancing my abilities to do a specific job.
Comfortable work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 19, 2015
Pros: I could learn something new everyday.
Cons: Actually I don;t have cons.
Having working for City of Hamilton was a wonderful experience which taught me to know more about the office environment. I learned to speak some idioms. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing with co-workers and learn a little bit about them. In my last working day I took many pictures with them. I didn't really have a hard job because everyone was willing to help me if I had a question.
Industry