CITY OF HAMILTON Employee Reviews in Canada

good working enviroment and lots of room to advance and try other jobs
Administrative assistant to Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 14, 2016
For all the jobs I held within the city of Hamilton, I found the two I liked the best was working at Wentworth Lodge with seniors and in the Tobacco Control Unit. Those two jobs were interesting and never dull. There were good supportive managers and also some that should never have been in the position of authority.
Pros
Good hours, good wages and benefits
City of hamilton is a joke
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton/dundas/ancasterAugust 2, 2016
I had worked there for several years and left simply because the management is corrupt and a joke. They hire people with absolutely no related skills required for the job and have no idea how to manage important situations with in the city.. I do not recommend working for the city of hamilton to anyone.. STAY AWAY!
Pros
20 minute paid lunch that is timed to the second
Cons
Management uneducated and are unprofessional
Enjpyed the people i worked with
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 27, 2016
-Cleaned homes through Helping Hands Program
-Cleaned windows
-Cleaned bathrooms and hallways
-Worked as a member of a team and provided Clean safe environments
-used cleaning products safely according to the health and safety guidelines
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
lack of work to contonue employment with Omni Basement
Productive workplace with a good attitude that encourages positive interaction with the public.
Skate Monitor/Rink Sweeper. (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 15, 2016
As a skate monitor, a typical day starts with a public skate. This is very enjoyable for me, I grew up playing hockey so I often look forward to working. After the skate, my co-workers and I clean the hallways and changerooms. Shifts without public skates entail pushing nets during hourly ice cleaning as well as ensuring change rooms are vacated and cleaned on time. The hardest part would have to be dealing with the occasional parent that needs escorting out of the building due to a conflict, referees may eject parents from the stands if they become too loud or offensive.
Productive, experience and high motivated work environment
Traffic Signals Technologist (co-op student) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 23, 2016
-Carry out analyses and studies concerning the effectiveness of existing municipal traffic controls
-Responsible for ensuring municipal traffic controls are in place for existing infrastructure to facilitate safe and efficient vehicular movement
-Supervised building construction scheduled and negotiated with contractors and skilled trades
-Participated in site investigation and generated reports
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Lack of resources
fun work place
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 27, 2016
Working for the City Of Hamilton was stressful but very enjoyable. I would go to work, sit in my desk and look through my emails to see if my mentor has asked me to do any jobs within the office. Typically they would be for me to print stuff off or open/ close files.

What I have learned in this field is that you have to be VERY organized, work at an reasonable pace, and know what work is most important to lest important.

My co-workers were very understanding and helped me a lot. They were serious but playful at the same time. Everyone was very appreciated for the work I was doing and even told me so.

The hardest part about working at the City Of Hamilton was having a big book to organise, tab and bind in the same day because they had to be in court the next day.

The most enjoyable part about working for the City was that everyone helped out one another. If a person was struggling one of our members helped. They also had different ethnic groups working and they would bring in food for us to try.
good hrs
roads (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 27, 2016
most boring job in the world, besides being a security guard bunch of lazy bums half of them could not make it in real world forman are all incompetent and lazy terrible culture you get real lazy working for city of hamilton
Pros
money benifits
Cons
bunch of jerk run the city
Enjoyable and relaxed setting with excellent leadership
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoyed working for the City of Hamilton as a summer student for 4 years. I worked at the same park for the time period and found that I gained experience in communicating with the community. It has helped me to increase many of my skills and working with other people. My co-workers were amazing and that made the job so much more beneficial. I was able to input my own ideas and concerns to make the workplace and environment more beneficial for the community.
Pros
Gained personal experience and skills
Cons
Working in all weather conditions
Childcare
Assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 27, 2016
It was not a job it was volunteer but I enjoyed everything about it. The people were always new with some exceptions, it was always fun to see new faces mixed in with the ones that I knew already. There was always something to do, if there were no children at the time we looked through and decided on different games / activities that we could do with certain age groups.
Pros
Got to work with children
Cons
Had to leave when my term was up
Face paced, municipal environment
Citizen Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 6, 2016
This job includes multi-tasking, business accounting and knowledge of government legislation. It is an excellent work environment with daily learning opportunities.
Serving players, and parents at hockey arenas
Snack Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Very easy and enjoyable. I work by myself. It's all about preparation so you are not struggling during your shift when there is long lines. Don't usually have to communicate with management but I still have a very good relationship with my boss.
Pros
work alone
Cons
hard to get shifts
Productive and Fun
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 31, 2016
Great corporation to work for with many benefits and great team of co-workers. An abundance of professional career paths to take within the City of Hamilton.
productive and fun place with a relaxing enviroment
Skate Patrol (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONDecember 12, 2015
This job has a great enviroment with excellent co-workers, and great management. This job has taught me great customer service skills and how to properly maintain a building of high working order. The hardest part of the job is time management, if you are working a tournament you are always on the go and might miss some things that you have to get. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is a hockey arena and allows me to have a good break by watching some hockey.
Positive work environment
Caregiver support facilitator (Current Employee) –  Macassa LodgeJanuary 14, 2016
Excellent and proactive employee support in a flexible and encouraging workplace with strong leadership. Higher education and personal advancement are a priority for employees who wish to continue studies.
Pros
supportive climate
Cons
golden handcuff attitude
Excellent Benefits
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Excellent pay and benefits. Very difficult to progress beyond clerical, even with Business Analysis Course successfully completed.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Succesion Planning not available to all as far as training programs are concerned.
Productive and fun workplace
Financial Assistant / Deliverer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 8, 2016
Great place to work, amazing people. Great hours and management, they really have it together workflow is great and communication between coworkers is exceptional
It was mostly a game of politics and back end bull
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 6, 2015
The hours were wonderful. Working between the hours of 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm is a dream come true for most people with a family.

The pay if you were a full time or full time contractor was phenomenal as well, being really high ($28-32/h upwards of $40) at the starting tiers with pay advancement going as high as six figures easily.

The people were another story. Most of them were out to cut you down or there is rampant incompetence due to union support. It is extremely difficult to remove unsavory or ineffective individuals after they pass their probationary period.

There were a few beams of light in the mud, but, not enough for me to say the people is what you come to the City for. It's the job security, the pay, and the ability to have as much time with your family and friends while having employment.
Casual and productive environment
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 26, 2015
Very supportive groups of people, great management and supervisors.

Typical day at work answering phones and preparing packages as well as sorting mail.
The easiest part of the job was the customer service and interacting with people, the hardest was getting through tasks that I had not yet been taught when I was on my own. There was always someone to help figure it out.
Comfortable work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 19, 2015
Having working for City of Hamilton was a wonderful experience which taught me to know more about the office environment. I learned to speak some idioms. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing with co-workers and learn a little bit about them. In my last working day I took many pictures with them. I didn't really have a hard job because everyone was willing to help me if I had a question.
Pros
I could learn something new everyday.
Cons
Actually I don;t have cons.
The Job
general labour (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 3, 2016
Typical work days commence around 7 am at the Rymal public works yard. Daily tasks are giving out and divided between the Lead hands and superintendents.
Pros
Work Enviorment
Cons
non

4.3