CITY OF HAMILTON

CITY OF HAMILTON Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyable workspace
Instructor Lifeguard (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Active Lifestyle
Cons: Hard Work
Excellent environment, intelligent and empathetic management. Busy and efficient union. Skilled and experiences coworkers. Well maintained, safe facilities.
Good way to obtain volunteering experience
NLS Shadow Guarding (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 20, 2015
Pros: Help out the community
Cons: long perparation
Worked together with a team to advertise our campaign (collecting food for food bank) and on the night of Halloween, my team and I went out to collect food from local neighborhoods
Fun workplace
Recreation Department Summer Staff (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2015
I spent my time ensuring that children throughout Hamilton were able to have a fun filled summer even without going to camp! It was a very enjoyable experience.
Once you're in it's one of the best companies to work for!
Various Positions (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2015
I've been working for the City of Hamilton from a very young age and I've loved every single position I've held. The wage/salary simply can't be beat, and co-workers are always so friendly. Management respects you more than other places I've seen and has your back whether you're unionized or not. Some jobs are contract jobs that require you to have a certain amount of time where you don't work, which is really my only complaint as I'm unemployed for a couple months of the year where I can't really apply to a different job because I'll be returning to work shortly. Advancing is fairly tough if you're not unionized, and getting into the union is also extremely difficult, as is getting your initial job into the City of Hamilton. Put the extra effort in to obtain a position here and you will NOT regret it I assure you!
productive and fun place to work.
Web Solutions Application Developer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 8, 2015
Lots of exposure to various projects and technology.
Management is friendly, Lots of resources for day-to-day tasks. Loved the team lunches with colleagues.
Productive and fun place to work. Managers and colleagues are supportive and promote growth.
Application Developer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2015
I liked extra activities that were organized to promote teamwork and productivity. From birthdays to project completion celebrations... it was fun to work there.
School Crossing Guard
Crossing Guard (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: good kids
Cons: not enough hours
The kids and parents are great. The traffic is bad. People going through yellow and red lights, not safe. I do keep myself and kids safe, looking all ways even though I have the right of way. Hardest part is standing out in the cold weather.
Good workplace
Program Facility Monitor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 21, 2015
Work is work - City of Hamilton offers good jobs; especially for students. Good hours and plenty of hours available if needed for anybody.

Great work environment with great staff and customers.
City of Hamilton Camp Counselor 2012
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 10, 2015
My mornings at the camp would consist of doing a head count of all the kids in my group, play games and sing songs. We would have a daily schedule such as crafts, swimming and more physical activities. What I learned from this experience is how to come up with ideas on the spot and how to manage a large group of people ranging from various ages. However, I did not return back to the job because my co-workers and I did not get along very well for whatever reason.
productive and fun workplace
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 17, 2014
Pros: no
Cons: n/a
I gained a loot of experience, I enjoyed working for the company
Easy going workplace, but rather boring and not much incentive to be productive.
General Labourer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 23, 2014
Pros: easy going
Cons: poor guidance, and low quality tools/materials.
While the job was rather easy and there wasn't much supervision, the culture within the work place was not very impressive.

Duties or locations weren't adequately organized and were poorly explained at the beginning of the job.

If you're looking for an easy summer job that you can make money and spend time outdoors then it's exactly what you would be looking for.
Summer Work
Camp Counselor for preschool children ages (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 14, 2014
Helped children at day camp

Provided programming with games and crafts for ages 2-4
Workplace culture
Business Analyst / Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: worlkload
Busy and stimulating
Nice people
Everyday is a new experience
Productive workplace with fun work culture.
Summer student worker (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: free golf
Cons: working in extreme weather conditions
Working for the city of Hamilton was a great opportunity as it gave me a chance to work not only for the city but for its people. Our jobs included maintaing the wellness of parks and overall appearance. Duties included trimming grass, trees, litter control and garbage disposal. The public is always happy with our work and we always received compliments on our work and I believe that is because we were trained well and taught how to conduct ourselves at work properly. We always strived to maximize output and maintain our daily quotas.
Contract Inspector
Contract Inspector, Construction Section (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2014
Pros: free gas
Cons: 8
Oversee road construction projects
• Ensure quality of work within City of Hamilton specifications
• Record daily on site activities
• Take measurements and apply towards payments according to contract specifications
• Coordinate daily activities, project deadlines, meetings, etc. with Contractors
free hot coffee in the morning
Home Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 7, 2014
work started at eight in the morning. I liked the idea of meeting people and trying to help them with snow removal and other various jobs that most of them couldn't do for themselves. I also enjoyed working with most of the co-workers working as a team was very beneficial to me. The hardest part of the job was working in sub-zero weather. the most enjoyable was meeting the people on a one to one basis.
Amazingly great outdoor park supervising
Park Supie (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 26, 2014
Pros: outdoor work, lots of training days, amazing networking opportunities, great team building
Cons: work in all weather conditions (rain or shine)
The City of Hamilton is extremely well organized and fun place to work. They creating fun and cool ways to network with other people your age with the same values and outlooks as you.
Enjoyed my 32 years of employment
SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 24, 2014
I had 12 to 16 supervisors reporting to me through out the year. We had a work force ranging from 70 to 110 employees. There were contracted services with up to 100 pieces of equipment we used.
I had a great working relationship with my supervisors and work force. Unpredictable winter weather was the most difficult time to schedule work.
a typical day at work
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 17, 2014
Recruited summer students by using HR software such as HRIS, PeopleSoft and Excel.
Generated, posted and monitored job postings.
Screened resumes (online and hardcopy), setup interviews via email/telephone, interviewed and evaluated applicants' qualifications.
Conducted tests to assess eligibility requirements for the applicants before proceeding to the selection process.
Interviewed applicants to obtained in-depth assessment of professionalism, employment history, certifications and organizational best fit.
Performed reference checks
Flexible work hours to fit my demanding school schedule
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 24, 2014
• Program plan for specific courses taught
• Courses range from sports, cooking, music, and science
• Dealing with children aged 3-12, as well as teens 13-18, and adults
• Making sure parents are happy with the courses taught
• Additional duties include overseeing programs and making sure they are running smoothly
• Directly supervising receptionist staff, program leaders, and instructors
• Dealing with instructors, making sure they are taking their classes seriously, and evaluating them
• Opening and locking up the recreation centers
• Making sure rooms are clean and ready to be used
• Dealing with patrons during special events, answering questions, directing them on where they need to go

1 2 3

About CITY OF HAMILTON

Hamilton is home to the Royal Botanical Gardens, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, the Bruce Trail, McMaster University and – Read more

CITY OF HAMILTON Photos