City of Hamilton Employee Reviews

Excellent place of work
Skate/Arena Monitor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 April 2017
Working at the city is wonderful. They are very understanding of your personal life and do everything in their power to make sure you are happy with your work environment and the amount of hours you get.
Pros
great salary, excellent job at making you feel important and cared for.
Cons
nothing comes to mind
Good workplace to have
Duty Guard Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON2 April 2017
Worked with the city of Hamilton for 6 years, always had a positive experience with co workers. There were certain issues with direct supervisors, but eventually things worked out. With performance appraisals done every so often, it gives a good idea for both parties to improve on issues that need improving on as well as being able to commend employees for their jobs well done
Very Fun
Turf Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 March 2017
The city of Hamilton is a an excellent place to work. It is a team oriented environment with plenty of opportunities to grow and succeed as an employee.
Productive and fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 March 2017
Co-workers were continuously helpful and friendly, and the managers/boss were very helpful and caring. When help is needed just ask and they are there for you. Always supportive and work with you and definitely not against you, constant reminder they are there for you to succeed.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
Uniforms during the summer are super uncomfortable
Productive work experience with excellent co-workers
Urban Forestry Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 February 2017
I learned so much at the city of Hamilton in regards to my position, but also the forestry industry. Would recommend it to others.
Okay company to work for
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 February 2017
Another reputable company that doesn't care much about their employees. I loved being a crossing guard, seeing the kids every week day. Despite my supervisors actions towards me, i did enjoy it
good pay and benefits
Sanitation engineer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 February 2017
My day began at 7 am. The first thing I would do upon arrival is what is called a circle check. This is a thorough check of the truck to make sure everything ran smoothly. The most difficult part of my job would be heavy lifting and the repetition. And the most enjoyable would be the fact that I worked out doors. As for workplace culture I worked with the same guy everyday which made working very comfortable. I very much liked to work for the city of Hamilton.
Pros
it had good wages
Cons
when its cold, it's hard t d
Productive and caring work environment
Translator/Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario29 January 2017
The City of Hamilton will call me in when they need translation services done. I have an exceptional work environment and the people who hire me are very professional. The hardest part of the job is just the job itself, which I don't find that difficult at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I help other people get the services that they require by being their communications liaison.
Pros
Pay, Work Environment
Cons
Only work on a case-by-case basis, as required.
good job
Helping Program Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 January 2017
its a fun job if you like to work outside and they are friendly and you will learned a lot and you will meet more people and you will work will different people every day
Pros
free louch
Cons
long hour
Safe and fun work place
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2017
This was one of my favorite places to work!
It was a great environment to work with because not only were the staff great communicators and teammates but good friends.
I also loved it because the patrons that came in to the pool were friendly, and sociable which made a very positive pool environment.
It was a great place to work and a positive and safe and fun place to be.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Poor hours
Image Obsessed
Supie Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 January 2017
The City of Hamilton became progressively worse when it came to being only concerned with their image. The quality of their programs began to decline as they worried about photo ops and political candidates.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Disregard for personal space
lot of money and time wasted
Program Secretary and various other positions (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 January 2017
If you worked hard you do not get any appreciation. People could get away with 2 hour lunches and long breaks and not do their work and still come out smelling like a rose.
Pros
good salary
Cons
you are just a number
Lots of fun
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 January 2017
great job for high school students, lots of training and support and weekly event planning ideas, help with children who are not listening or participating
Good to work while in school
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2017
I worked part time here while I was in school, It helped pay my school bills and the people I worked with, for the most part were good. Learning how to re-surface the ice was pretty neat
Excellent
Sidewalk Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 December 2016
I truly enjoyed my time working with this employer. They made me feel appreciated and valued my opinion. On certain projects, I was able to make key decisions for the supervisors I was working under to have them approve of my proposed changes. I had great co-workers who were respectful and welcomed open discussion on ways to improve our work efficiently and in a way to save the city money. The hardest part of the job was working under extreme heat however, I adapted to the climate over time. I enjoyed the challenges that were presented with this position such as working with the community and watching out for the overall safety of pedestrians.
Pros
Learning about concrete properties and characteristics
Cons
Hot weather
great opperunity
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 December 2016
honest, reliable, excellent work environment, great training, and advancement opportunities. good benefits. Had a great 25 yrs. with the City all areas. my training and licencing were kept up to date, and offered many courses for advancement , opportunities.
Pros
advancement oppertunities
Cons
contracting out
Transportation Technologist
Traffic Engineer Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 December 2016
Great work environment ...No traffic issues on the city.I will work again in here..
Great benefits and infrastructure.
The Worst!
Public Health Dept. (Current Employee) –  Public Health Dept, Hamilton, ON7 November 2016
Save yourself for a terrible experience.
Lazy, unqualified staff who fail to do their jobs. Managers who are inexperienced and repeated break various rules - including human rights codes and various privacy laws.
Upper leadership who does not care.
These are your tax dollars at work.

Unsupportive environment that breeds hostility and inappropriate staff behaviour that is never addressed.
Great benefits, but you'll need them, because you'll be on sick leave or stress leave pretty quickly.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Everything else - work environemnt, supervisors, coworkers....
Productive and fun workplace
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 October 2016
A typical day at work involves serving Chedoke Civic Golf Course members, golfers, and the public. The staff are great and it is a very fun and enjoyable place to work.
great schedule and management
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 October 2016
Working for the City of Hamilton was one of the most rewarding jobs I gave had. Working with great people, I learned a lot from everyone I worked with there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4