City of Hamilton Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Best workplace ever
Receptionist - Recreation Department (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 September 2017
Love going to work every day.. couldn't imagine my life without my job. Hours are great balance for daily life - lots of chance to advance in the company. Lots of fun but also professional
Overall, a very desirable place to work
Labourer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 August 2017
A typical day at work:
Interesting people and duties plus low keyed and no pressure.
What you learned:
How important "essential services" are.
Management:
Reasonable and helpful.
Workplace culture:
Simple. Get the job done.
Hardest part of the job:
Witnessing peoples grief up close. (cemetery)
The most enjoyable part of the job:
Knowing that we have done the best we can do.

Working for any Municipal Government is a job that many people desire, and after working for the city of Hamilton for thirty years it is understandable why this is so.
Pros
Exceptional Benefits, Exceptional Pension
Cons
Working at a cemetery needs to be done, but depressing
fun but exhausting for such low pay
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 August 2017
Very fun environment, good place to work if interested in working with children. I learned time management and organization skills as I had to do so while managing 12 children to my self. Very positive environment, great staff.
Pros
good staff
Cons
low salary
Productive and fun summer work for students
Summer Student General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 July 2017
A very satisfying job, that differs every day. Understanding supervisors and coworkers that makes the job fun and exciting. I would continue to work for the city of Hamilton if the opportunity arose
Enjoyable job
Snack Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 June 2017
Great job for gaining experience. It teaches you to be independent by working shifts alone, as well as a team player when working overlapping shifts with co-workers. Steady paced job, co-workers are usually super kind and helpful. Overall a great job.
Enjoyable job
Volunteer Captain (Current Employee) –  Winona, ON19 June 2017
Being able to have fun and give back to the community. I really enjoy the fact of being able to see the impact I have been able to make on my local community.
Pros
Fire Trucks
N/a
Traffic Operations Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 May 2017
Prefer not to provide feedback on the City of Hamilton. Great company to work for with many very competent and helpful employees that always put your safety and well being first.
Work hard and play hard environment
Program Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 May 2017
Learned to be flexible and still meet deadlines
Very supportive management
Great work/home balance
No real hard parts to my job
Most enjoyable part of the job was receiving acknowledgement of my efforts. Motivated me to add value to my job.
Excellent place of work
Skate/Arena Monitor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 April 2017
Working at the city is wonderful. They are very understanding of your personal life and do everything in their power to make sure you are happy with your work environment and the amount of hours you get.
Pros
great salary, excellent job at making you feel important and cared for.
Cons
nothing comes to mind
Good workplace to have
Duty Guard Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON2 April 2017
Worked with the city of Hamilton for 6 years, always had a positive experience with co workers. There were certain issues with direct supervisors, but eventually things worked out. With performance appraisals done every so often, it gives a good idea for both parties to improve on issues that need improving on as well as being able to commend employees for their jobs well done
Very Fun
Turf Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 March 2017
The city of Hamilton is a an excellent place to work. It is a team oriented environment with plenty of opportunities to grow and succeed as an employee.
Productive and fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 March 2017
Co-workers were continuously helpful and friendly, and the managers/boss were very helpful and caring. When help is needed just ask and they are there for you. Always supportive and work with you and definitely not against you, constant reminder they are there for you to succeed.
Pros
Hour lunch breaks
Cons
Uniforms during the summer are super uncomfortable
Productive work experience with excellent co-workers
Urban Forestry Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 February 2017
I learned so much at the city of Hamilton in regards to my position, but also the forestry industry. Would recommend it to others.
Okay company to work for
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 February 2017
Another reputable company that doesn't care much about their employees. I loved being a crossing guard, seeing the kids every week day. Despite my supervisors actions towards me, i did enjoy it
good pay and benefits
Sanitation engineer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 February 2017
My day began at 7 am. The first thing I would do upon arrival is what is called a circle check. This is a thorough check of the truck to make sure everything ran smoothly. The most difficult part of my job would be heavy lifting and the repetition. And the most enjoyable would be the fact that I worked out doors. As for workplace culture I worked with the same guy everyday which made working very comfortable. I very much liked to work for the city of Hamilton.
Pros
it had good wages
Cons
when its cold, it's hard t d
Productive and caring work environment
Translator/Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Ontario29 January 2017
The City of Hamilton will call me in when they need translation services done. I have an exceptional work environment and the people who hire me are very professional. The hardest part of the job is just the job itself, which I don't find that difficult at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I help other people get the services that they require by being their communications liaison.
Pros
Pay, Work Environment
Cons
Only work on a case-by-case basis, as required.
good job
Helping Program Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 January 2017
its a fun job if you like to work outside and they are friendly and you will learned a lot and you will meet more people and you will work will different people every day
Pros
free louch
Cons
long hour
Safe and fun work place
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 January 2017
This was one of my favorite places to work!
It was a great environment to work with because not only were the staff great communicators and teammates but good friends.
I also loved it because the patrons that came in to the pool were friendly, and sociable which made a very positive pool environment.
It was a great place to work and a positive and safe and fun place to be.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Poor hours
Image Obsessed
Supie Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 January 2017
The City of Hamilton became progressively worse when it came to being only concerned with their image. The quality of their programs began to decline as they worried about photo ops and political candidates.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Disregard for personal space
lot of money and time wasted
Program Secretary and various other positions (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 January 2017
If you worked hard you do not get any appreciation. People could get away with 2 hour lunches and long breaks and not do their work and still come out smelling like a rose.
Pros
good salary
Cons
you are just a number

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4