CITY OF HAMILTON

CITY OF HAMILTON Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive workplace with fun work culture.
Summer student worker (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: free golf
Cons: working in extreme weather conditions
Working for the city of Hamilton was a great opportunity as it gave me a chance to work not only for the city but for its people. Our jobs included maintaing the wellness of parks and overall appearance. Duties included trimming grass, trees, litter control and garbage disposal. The public is always happy with our work and we always received compliments – more... on our work and I believe that is because we were trained well and taught how to conduct ourselves at work properly. We always strived to maximize output and maintain our daily quotas. – less
Contract Inspector
Contract Inspector, Construction Section (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2014
Pros: free gas
Cons: 8
Oversee road construction projects
• Ensure quality of work within City of Hamilton specifications
• Record daily on site activities
• Take measurements and apply towards payments according to contract specifications
• Coordinate daily activities, project deadlines, meetings, etc. with Contractors
Amazingly great outdoor park supervising
Park Supie (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 26, 2014
Pros: outdoor work, lots of training days, amazing networking opportunities, great team building
Cons: work in all weather conditions (rain or shine)
The City of Hamilton is extremely well organized and fun place to work. They creating fun and cool ways to network with other people your age with the same values and outlooks as you.
Enjoyed my 32 years of employment
SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 24, 2014
I had 12 to 16 supervisors reporting to me through out the year. We had a work force ranging from 70 to 110 employees. There were contracted services with up to 100 pieces of equipment we used.
I had a great working relationship with my supervisors and work force. Unpredictable winter weather was the most difficult time to schedule work.
a typical day at work
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 17, 2014
Recruited summer students by using HR software such as HRIS, PeopleSoft and Excel.
Generated, posted and monitored job postings.
Screened resumes (online and hardcopy), setup interviews via email/telephone, interviewed and evaluated applicants' qualifications.
Conducted tests to assess eligibility requirements for the applicants before proceeding to – more... the selection process.
Interviewed applicants to obtained in-depth assessment of professionalism, employment history, certifications and organizational best fit.
Performed reference checks – less
Flexible work hours to fit my demanding school schedule
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 24, 2014
• Program plan for specific courses taught
• Courses range from sports, cooking, music, and science
• Dealing with children aged 3-12, as well as teens 13-18, and adults
• Making sure parents are happy with the courses taught
• Additional duties include overseeing programs and making sure they are running smoothly
• Directly supervising receptionist – more... staff, program leaders, and instructors
• Dealing with instructors, making sure they are taking their classes seriously, and evaluating them
• Opening and locking up the recreation centers
• Making sure rooms are clean and ready to be used
• Dealing with patrons during special events, answering questions, directing them on where they need to go – less
Good work environment
Construction Inspector (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 1, 2013
Worked as a construction inspector responsible for road cuts. I was on the road all day every day following around a construction crew recording materials used for repairs to the road. I learned good organization skills as I did over 3000 different road cuts over an eight month period. My managers were very helpful and patient with me. My co-workers – more... were always there to help me when I needed assistance and they also made the day go by faster. The hardest part of my job was keeping all the paperwork organized. The most enjoyable part of my job was being outside all day and not sitting at a desk. – less
Friendly, safe family atmosphere
Part time Bar Steward (Former Employee), Mount Hope, ONDecember 1, 2013
Pros: each and every day was a adventure
Cons: negativity from executive, spoils the environment
Friendly people most of the time
Some decisions need to be pursued further
Interesting, fun working environment
Tobacco Test Shopper (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: very fair wage
Cons: not a fair amount of hours available
A typical day at work would include accompanying my supervisor and possibly other Test Shoppers to various locations with in the City of Hamilton, attempt to purchase tobacco, write and communicate my observations to my supervisor and fill out reports as required. While on the Job I am responsible for paying close attention to detail (appropriate signage, – more... appearance of store and clerks).
I have learned how to troubleshoot, organize, and communicate my observations. My co-workers are great people to work with; very friendly and work well together. The hardest part of the job is constantly writing in a small space. The most enjoyable part of the job is the experience; not a lot of people have this job and it's great because I am always in a different situation, learning new things. – less
fulfilling opportunity to work towards bettering local community
Summer Student Employee (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 17, 2013
Pros: working hours (7am-3pm)
Cons: stigma
The City of Hamilton promoting an environment of equal opportunity and respect, giving everyone a decent wage. The hardest part of working for the city was dealing with the bureaucracy. You were given your daily/weekly tasks and once completely you were stuck in limbo since all extra activities would first need to be either reviewed and approved by – more... the supervisors or superintendent. – less
clean it shine it look at it again!
cleaner/home support worker (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 16, 2013
Pros: keeping busy
Cons: not doing anything
catch the bus at 7 am off to clients home get their knock or punch in apartment number say who I am make my way up or in their homes say hello and get the cleaning products and get to work after job is done ill check around to see if it needs to be done again, so I know I completed the job right!

what i have learned from this job is to have more patients – more... to communicate more , better myself for another job, experiencing new jobs , how to manage time better , to set an alarm hour before you get up for work, be on time!

management , leader, motivate and take on different responsibilities everyday.

honestly i got along with all my co-workers since i am a peoples person i love talking and meeting new people so its not hard for me to get along with people, I been working at helping hands and all the co-workers their who I met in the past 6 months they are all great people!

the hardest part of the job i cant think of any at all right now i liked this job it kept me busy and on my feet

the most enjoyable part of the job is waking up every morning and knowing I am going to put a smile on someone's face after I leave their homes and knowing that their in a clean environment and getting out and its also great exercise to ! – less
Excellent workers poor work life balance
personal support worker (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 2, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits and pension plan
Cons: one weekend off every 6
I really enjoy working for the City of Hamilton in Long term care. I have held many positions there and have worked many different shifts. I enjoy working with my co workers and we work as a team. At this job we get one weekend off every 6 weeks. It can be difficult to get additional weekends off as they are limited by the contract.
A typical day starts – more... off with resident care. We get residents washed and dressed before 8 am. We then serve breakfast and feed those who need help. After breakfast residents are toileted and taken to activities. We then serve lunch. After lunch we toilet and put required residents to bed. At 2 pm we serve snack. We chart on each resident and do shift change at 3pm.
I have great co workers. When there is a problem we are able to talk through and resolve differences. We are aware that we spend are time supporting both are residents and are co workers. we are a learning enviroment and we learn from each other.
I really enjoy my job and find most of my day enjoyable. The hardest part of my job is realizing that some people are negetive and not allowing this to effect me. I also find the comute and working every weekend difficult. – less
Jr.Civil Engineer student
Infrastructure student (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 24, 2013
Pros: good working hours
Cons: low salary
working for the city extended my knowledge and understanding of the civil engineering
Typical big business culture.
Ham Municipal Prkg System-Admin Secretary (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 26, 2013
The business hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm unless you are an outside worker which will at times take you to a 3 shift schedule. I have learned so much about the culture in the years I have spent. I have met many good people. Most importantly I have learned that professionalism is key.
Fun job, poorly managed
SwimInstructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 10, 2013
Working is fun, especially teaching. Poorly managed.
Typical day at work is simple, routine. Many regular patrons.
School Crossing Guard
school crossing guard (Former Employee), Grimsby, ONApril 7, 2013
• High standard of customer service and problem-solving skill
no enthusias
plow truck driver (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 15, 2013
Pros: shift times were great
Cons: very bad enviourment
full time workers are very lazy, full of complaints and no work ethics what so ever
Lots of new things to learn
Application Developer (as Co-Op Student) (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: its in jackson square, easy to get variety of food
a typical day at work: Solve user issues, work on small and mid scale project
what you learned: Many technical things + How Corporate works
management: Every thing is completely structured
your co-workers: All are highly educated and experienced
the hardest part of the job: None
the most enjoyable part of the job: Start Learning Sharepoint
Fun Workplace
Pre-natal Intake Secretary (Former Employee), Dundas, OntarioJanuary 2, 2013
- Busy switchboard consisting of pregnant women wanting to book pre-natal classes, wonderful opportunity to connect with women at this most exciting time in their lives.
- Working with a group of medical professionals was very new - enjoyed supporting a team and experiencing the very different needs of a Public Health Services department as opposed – more... to a professional office environment.
- Co-workers were so helpful in learning the ropes - really engage you to part of the team – less
dream job
Civil Contract Inspector (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 26, 2012
there is not one negative thing i can say about working for the city of hamilton. If i could i would go back and work there until i retire

About CITY OF HAMILTON

Hamilton is home to the Royal Botanical Gardens, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, the Bruce Trail, McMaster University and – Read more

CITY OF HAMILTON Photos