CITY OF HAMILTON

CITY OF HAMILTON Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyable and relaxed setting with excellent leadership
Summer Student (Former Employee), Hamilton, NFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Gained personal experience and skills
Cons: Working in all weather conditions
I enjoyed working for the City of Hamilton as a summer student for 4 years. I worked at the same park for the time period and found that I gained experience in communicating with the community. It has helped me to increase many of my skills and working with other people. My co-workers were amazing and that made the job so much more beneficial. I was able to input my own ideas and concerns to make the workplace and environment more beneficial for the community.
Serving players, and parents at hockey arenas
Snack Bar Attendant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Pros: work alone
Cons: hard to get shifts
Very easy and enjoyable. I work by myself. It's all about preparation so you are not struggling during your shift when there is long lines. Don't usually have to communicate with management but I still have a very good relationship with my boss.
Childcare
Assistant teacher (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 27, 2016
Pros: Got to work with children
Cons: Had to leave when my term was up
It was not a job it was volunteer but I enjoyed everything about it. The people were always new with some exceptions, it was always fun to see new faces mixed in with the ones that I knew already. There was always something to do, if there were no children at the time we looked through and decided on different games / activities that we could do with certain age groups.
Positive work environment
Caregiver support facilitator (Current Employee), Macassa LodgeJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: supportive climate
Cons: golden handcuff attitude
Excellent and proactive employee support in a flexible and encouraging workplace with strong leadership. Higher education and personal advancement are a priority for employees who wish to continue studies.
Excellent Benefits
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Flexible Hours
Cons: Succesion Planning not available to all as far as training programs are concerned.
Excellent pay and benefits. Very difficult to progress beyond clerical, even with Business Analysis Course successfully completed.
The Job
general labour (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 3, 2016
Pros: Work Enviorment
Cons: non
Typical work days commence around 7 am at the Rymal public works yard. Daily tasks are giving out and divided between the Lead hands and superintendents.
productive and fun place with a relaxing enviroment
Skate Patrol (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONDecember 12, 2015
This job has a great enviroment with excellent co-workers, and great management. This job has taught me great customer service skills and how to properly maintain a building of high working order. The hardest part of the job is time management, if you are working a tournament you are always on the go and might miss some things that you have to get. The most enjoyable part of the job is that it is a hockey arena and allows me to have a good break by watching some hockey.
n/a
Co-op Student –Engineering Design (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 25, 2015
Good work experience with them during master studies with a group of people. Nice manager,nice co-workers.really a good chance to start a career.
It was mostly a game of politics and back end bull
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 6, 2015
The hours were wonderful. Working between the hours of 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm is a dream come true for most people with a family.

The pay if you were a full time or full time contractor was phenomenal as well, being really high ($28-32/h upwards of $40) at the starting tiers with pay advancement going as high as six figures easily.

The people were another story. Most of them were out to cut you down or there is rampant incompetence due to union support. It is extremely difficult to remove unsavory or ineffective individuals after they pass their probationary period.

There were a few beams of light in the mud, but, not enough for me to say the people is what you come to the City for. It's the job security, the pay, and the ability to have as much time with your family and friends while having employment.
Great Opportunuties
Customer Contact Centre after Hours Dispatcher (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 2, 2015
Pros: colleagues
Cons: shift work
City of Hamilton offers good jobs; especially for students. Good hours and plenty of hours available if needed for anybody.

Great work environment with great staff and customers.
Casual and productive environment
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 26, 2015
Very supportive groups of people, great management and supervisors.

Typical day at work answering phones and preparing packages as well as sorting mail.
The easiest part of the job was the customer service and interacting with people, the hardest was getting through tasks that I had not yet been taught when I was on my own. There was always someone to help figure it out.
Comfortable work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 19, 2015
Pros: I could learn something new everyday.
Cons: Actually I don;t have cons.
Having working for City of Hamilton was a wonderful experience which taught me to know more about the office environment. I learned to speak some idioms. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing with co-workers and learn a little bit about them. In my last working day I took many pictures with them. I didn't really have a hard job because everyone was willing to help me if I had a question.
Overall decent summer job
Rob Draper - Supervisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 30, 2015
basic labour
learned to operate certain machinery
management could be better
co workers were students
no hard parts of this job
being with students was the most enjoyable
I had a very rewarding time being an employee for the City of Hamilton.
Public Works- Summer Student (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Pros: Lots of freedom, great colleagues, excellent work conditions, and good pay.
Cons: The job became very repetitive at times, and I wish their was more variety.
I enjoyed my time working for the City of Hamilton because it gave me a stronger sense of responsibility and discipline. I was asked every day from my supervisor to show up at 8:00am in uniform ready to work until the job was done. In my last summer at the City of Hamilton I was the oldest student so my supervisor counted on me a lot of times to complete the tougher tasks such as barrels, and cutting the high end sections of the cemetery. Taking on more difficult tasks was the most enjoyable part of the job for me because the sense of satisfaction after completing difficult tasks was undeniably special. Another benefit that I learned from working for the City of Hamilton is how unions work, I was an employee of the government and I understood the affects that unions can have on employees when they have job security. I will always be grateful from my time at the City of Hamilton because of the work experiences that I attained.
excellent team work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONAugust 5, 2015
Cons: the temporary position ends soon
Learned a new computer software.
Teamwork is incredible
Management was very helpful
There was no hard part of the job due to my qualifications
I enjoy every day working with such a great team
Excellent job, very rewarding for self-worth and challenging. Public sector - large company.
Financial Assistant I (Former Employee), Hamilton, ON CANADAJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Variety of tasks able to use all skills
Cons: Shut-down between Christmas & New Year
Provide finance & admin support to Housing Division:
Prepare claims for Homelessness Program on a monthly basis.
Extensive use of Excel to prepare reports for management.
Prepare Accounts reconciliation with proper back-up.
Learn to organize workload and assistant co-workers as required.
Most enjoyable part of this job is completing the tasks on time and with no errors.
Assist with Budget & year end process which may have very tight deadlines and have to depend on other department for complete their task in order to incorporate information at a higher level.
Enjoyable workspace
Instructor Lifeguard (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Active Lifestyle
Cons: Hard Work
Excellent environment, intelligent and empathetic management. Busy and efficient union. Skilled and experiences coworkers. Well maintained, safe facilities.
Good way to obtain volunteering experience
NLS Shadow Guarding (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 20, 2015
Pros: Help out the community
Cons: long perparation
Worked together with a team to advertise our campaign (collecting food for food bank) and on the night of Halloween, my team and I went out to collect food from local neighborhoods
Fun workplace
Recreation Department Summer Staff (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2015
I spent my time ensuring that children throughout Hamilton were able to have a fun filled summer even without going to camp! It was a very enjoyable experience.
Once you're in it's one of the best companies to work for!
Various Positions (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2015
I've been working for the City of Hamilton from a very young age and I've loved every single position I've held. The wage/salary simply can't be beat, and co-workers are always so friendly. Management respects you more than other places I've seen and has your back whether you're unionized or not. Some jobs are contract jobs that require you to have a certain amount of time where you don't work, which is really my only complaint as I'm unemployed for a couple months of the year where I can't really apply to a different job because I'll be returning to work shortly. Advancing is fairly tough if you're not unionized, and getting into the union is also extremely difficult, as is getting your initial job into the City of Hamilton. Put the extra effort in to obtain a position here and you will NOT regret it I assure you!
Industry