CITY OF GUELPH Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Fun and rewarding workplace
General Labourer - Team Lead(Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 August 2017
Hours run 7-3
Learned many ins and outs of the municipal water system
Good Management
Fun workplace culture
Accommodating
Adjusting to the job and hours of work was the hardest part
Stable and consistent pay was the most enjoyable part
Pros
Free coffee at staff meetings
Cons
N/a
The employers and colleagues were very friendly.
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 July 2017
Each day I would need to wake up pretty early to get there on time, since it was a co-op for school I did not get paid. Since I was there to learn the guys there did teach me a lot and I had a lot of fun.
Fun place to work
Parks and Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 July 2017
Fun place to work, learned a lot of new skills such as maintenance of city facilities, restoration of public buildings, and more. Got to see many interesting and beautiful parts of the city.
Relaxed workplace where employees are empowered.
Traffic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 June 2017
Friendly environment good place to have a lengthy career. Salary and benifits are competitive with other Municipalities. Management style is not stressful.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Typical lifeguard job
Lifeguard/Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 May 2017
A typical day at work while working for the City of Guelph began by preparing the pool for swimmers and checking lesson plans followed by either a shift on deck guarding the pool, or teaching swimmers. I developed organizational skills, leadership, and responsibility.
A good team atmosphere!
Corporate Analyst - Property tax (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 April 2017
My time at the City of Guelph was very interesting and challenging. I enjoyed working with a team that strives to be the best that they could be. The interaction between colleagues was encouraging and rewarding.
Pros
Job security
Cons
limited flexibility
long work hours
Youth Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 January 2017
I can't be a good judge since only did a placement there. I liked the work culture since people in each department seem to support each other very well however all my supervisors spent most of the day at work, beyond the 9-5.
Poorly run oganization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 October 2016
Your direction is at best conflicting, no support from those leading. Many people leave the organization or are shown the door, I would not do it again
Pros
good pay
Cons
be available always, walk on egg shells
Friendly, positive environment.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cen7 September 2016
Very fun, active, fulfilling job! Always people around you who appreciate the work your doing! Good environment for children and has a very good purpose in helping children swim and stay safe! Learn things that will be helpful for the future!
Positive and enjoyable workplace with children
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 August 2016
A typical day being a camp counsellor for the City of Guelph allowed me to assist with programming including preplanning, set-up/take-down, implementing programs, active participation and evaluation. I worked within a group setting and learned many things while working here. It tested my patience while also allowing me to grow as a leader. There were many enjoyable parts of the job but my favourites had to be meeting new people while also allowing me to work in a faced pasted environment.
I enjoy what I do
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 May 2016
Typical day is not typical. I thrive on the changes and helps to work with the great team that I am apart of. Whether its a minor task or a major project - The City has provided me with the skills to accomplish it in a timely and safe fashion. They have my back, as I do theirs.
Pros
Management and co-workers, work environment
Cons
Always have to be on my game in the public eye
Good place to work but stressful at times with low pay.
Aquatic Fitness/Swim Instructor, Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 March 2016
I've worked with the City of Guelph in the Aquatics department for about 2.5 years now. I slowly made my way up the ladder, and it was very easy to do so and they provided many opportunities to do so.

While I worked there, we had job trainings every 3/4 months testing our skills which was stressful at times because it felt as if we would lose our jobs if we did not do everything at pro level.

The salary is not very high, and has risen every year but not at the same rate that minimum wage has risen. So we started with the lowest position being a least 30 cents higher per hour than minimum wage, and now the lowest position is at minimum wage level. This is frustrating as we have to maintain so many qualifications we have to pay to do.

Loved the staff we worked with for the most part, very easy to get along with.
Pros
Free entrances to public swims and aquafit classes as well as the gym facility.
Cons
Low wages
Contract Work For City of Guelph
PARKING ATTENDANT/ CSR (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 February 2016
Very good for contract work. The management was flexible and worked well with my schedule as a student Actual employment was through taskforce staffing solutions, and they do a good job of placing people were they will be happy.
Great Work Team
Learn to Skate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 February 2016
Made the job fun, and allowed us to use our creative sides when working with children. Allowed us to develop further skills in management and multitasking, while making sure we follow the guidelines.
Pros
works great with university
Cons
Not many hours
City Job
Security Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 February 2016
The city is a great place to work, a lot of great experiences can be had. Lots to learn if your eager. Great people to work with as well.
Great Place to work
Manager, Transit Operations (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 October 2015
The City of Guelph is a fantastic place to work with very quality people and teamwork. Very valued organization led by a very capable senior management team.
Pros
Team work, capable leaders
Good benefits
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 July 2015
Company has good benefits and holidays. There is always new positions available. Management is a little behind the times, but are making an effort to improve working conditions.
great people great place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 January 2015
getting the option to move around with in the city to different places of work is a great thing, and being treated as a person and shown respect and encouragement to work to the best of my capabilities
Amazing!
Summer Labourer- Turf maintenance (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 July 2014
Learned so much throughout the seasonal work every summer. Co-workers are great to work with no matter your age group. Everyone gets a long. The most enjoyable part of the job is being outside! It is a lot better than being stuck inside!
Pros
Outside!
Cons
Can't think of any right now...
Met a lot of good friends here and enjoyed the job
Park Labourer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 March 2014
The management is great! They really care about each and everyone of their students. I enjoyed working outdoors in the summer.