CITY OF GUELPH Employee Reviews

Friendly, positive environment.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  CenSeptember 7, 2016
Very fun, active, fulfilling job! Always people around you who appreciate the work your doing! Good environment for children and has a very good purpose in helping children swim and stay safe! Learn things that will be helpful for the future!
I enjoy what I do
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONMay 27, 2016
Typical day is not typical. I thrive on the changes and helps to work with the great team that I am apart of. Whether its a minor task or a major project - The City has provided me with the skills to accomplish it in a timely and safe fashion. They have my back, as I do theirs.
Pros
Management and co-workers, work environment
Cons
Always have to be on my game in the public eye
Good place to work but stressful at times with low pay.
Aquatic Fitness/Swim Instructor, Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONMarch 30, 2016
I've worked with the City of Guelph in the Aquatics department for about 2.5 years now. I slowly made my way up the ladder, and it was very easy to do so and they provided many opportunities to do so.

While I worked there, we had job trainings every 3/4 months testing our skills which was stressful at times because it felt as if we would lose our jobs if we did not do everything at pro level.

The salary is not very high, and has risen every year but not at the same rate that minimum wage has risen. So we started with the lowest position being a least 30 cents higher per hour than minimum wage, and now the lowest position is at minimum wage level. This is frustrating as we have to maintain so many qualifications we have to pay to do.

Loved the staff we worked with for the most part, very easy to get along with.
Pros
Free entrances to public swims and aquafit classes as well as the gym facility.
Cons
Low wages
Contract Work For City of Guelph
PARKING ATTENDANT/ CSR (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 19, 2016
Very good for contract work. The management was flexible and worked well with my schedule as a student Actual employment was through taskforce staffing solutions, and they do a good job of placing people were they will be happy.
Great Work Team
Learn to Skate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 14, 2016
Made the job fun, and allowed us to use our creative sides when working with children. Allowed us to develop further skills in management and multitasking, while making sure we follow the guidelines.
Pros
works great with university
Cons
Not many hours
City Job
Security Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The city is a great place to work, a lot of great experiences can be had. Lots to learn if your eager. Great people to work with as well.
Great Place to work
Manager, Transit Operations (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONOctober 18, 2015
The City of Guelph is a fantastic place to work with very quality people and teamwork. Very valued organization led by a very capable senior management team.
Pros
Team work, capable leaders
Good benefits
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 3, 2015
Company has good benefits and holidays. There is always new positions available. Management is a little behind the times, but are making an effort to improve working conditions.
great people great place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 14, 2015
getting the option to move around with in the city to different places of work is a great thing, and being treated as a person and shown respect and encouragement to work to the best of my capabilities
Amazing!
Summer Labourer- Turf maintenance (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 4, 2014
Learned so much throughout the seasonal work every summer. Co-workers are great to work with no matter your age group. Everyone gets a long. The most enjoyable part of the job is being outside! It is a lot better than being stuck inside!
Pros
outside!
Cons
can't think of any right now...
Met a lot of good friends here and enjoyed the job
Park Labourer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMarch 20, 2014
The management is great! They really care about each and everyone of their students. I enjoyed working outdoors in the summer.
Great job, like dealing with public, great satisfaction with job
Guelph Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONDecember 3, 2013
Productive and a great place to work, just need more income. I really like the job, like being a team player. Love to have happy and satisfied customers.
Pros
do my shifts in 4 days
Cons
have to get up in the middle of the night to come to work
Stressful
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 15, 2013
I found that working for the city as a camp councellor to be very stressful. I did not find them to be accomodating at all. They were very hard to communicate with because there was no indication of who you were to call in any circumstance.
Great Place to work seasonally
Seasonal Laborer, Guelph (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 3, 2013
I worked at the City of Guelph for one summer and the staff there are courteous and well organized. They treated me very well and were very professional with the training and hiring. I would recommend working for them any day.
Pros
consistent collaborative meetings with free food, great work environment, positive work team
Good job, but bad management
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONMarch 4, 2013
Good job, but very bad salary, very bad management. This is a place where Management are workaholics that get nothing done. Bad treatment of staff.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
very low pay, and bad management
A fun, welcoming environment
o Sports Crew (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 20, 2013
Such a great place to work as a Summer Student. The hours are perfect for still being able to do lots when you get off work. 7am-3pm is perfect! And the people are amazing! :)
Very efficient yet small work place
Traffic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 21, 2013
Depending on the work load - was either scheduled to stake out on the roads to do vehicular or pedestrian surveys or vehicular speed studies.

Other activities included investigation sight obstruction complaints and reviewing parking requests.