Posting Number: 53/13
Position Title: DEVELOPMENT PLANNER - OOS
Reports To: LAND DEVELOPMENT SERVICES MANAGER
Business Division: LAND DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
Number of Positions: 1 (One)
Length of Position: Permanent Full-Time, upon completion of Probationary Period
Summary: Working under the general direction and supervision of the Land Development Services Manager, this intermediate planning position encompasses a wide variety of administrative and technical assignments/responsibilities related to land development and planning activity & services.
- Assists with all administrative, technical, and processing duties associated with subdivision, development, rezoning and related applications and/or initiatives including detailed review and reporting tasks;
- Participates in providing professional planning advise to internal and external customers and communicates in an effective and timely manner in response to all inquiries including providing general advice on the development approvals process in order to advance development projects through the approvals to construction stages;
- Liaisons and consults with City Business Divisions, Provincial/Federal Agencies, Professional consultants/contractors, development/business industry and the public on all pertinent planning and development issues.
- Assists in the preparation, presentation and maintenance of plans, policies, bylaws, and regulatory proposals including the City’s Official Community Plan, Zoning bylaw and related land use plans, bylaws (i.e. building and sign bylaw) and regulations.
- Undertakes various components of background studies including research, collection, tracking and analysis of information and statistical data, as well as recommending solutions to planning issues and problems.
- Responsible for coordinating all development processes of assigned development projects including establishing deadlines and monitoring progress of projects as required by conditions of permit, policy, bylaws or directives of senior management. Identifies and pursues the resolution of key issues emerging through the course of a development project. Conducts site inspections in evaluating conditions and requirements of specific development projects.
- Responds to land sales inquiries and participates in any negotiations;
- Participates in the preparation of subdivision/development agreements, subdivision design plans, area concept plans, site plans, property sales agreements, lot pricing, easement and special use agreements. This includes processing title transfers & easement/caveat/right of way registrations.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating mapping and other related data bases.
- Assists in supervisory duties of the City’s Building Official and Building permit processes.
- Attend meetings as required (some evenings).
- Acts and fulfills the duties as Secretary to the Estevan Development Appeals Board and attends Development appeals Board hearings acting on behalf of the City.
- Assumes all responsibilities of the Land Development Services Division during absences of the Land Development Services Manager.
- Performs other job related duties as required or assigned.
Qualifications; Education, Knowledge & Experience
- Four year - University Degree in Regional Urban Planning or closely related planning field.
- Minimum 2 years planning experience preferably in a municipal environment.
- Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and Association of Professional Community Planners of Saskatchewan.
- Thorough knowledge of Planning and Development Act 2007and related Planning legislation/Regulations.
- Basic understanding of other related Provincial legislation including, Cities Act, Local Improvement Act.
- General understanding of the National Building Code and related regulations as well as Civil Engineering principles related to land development activity.
- Experience in carrying out subdivision design/review.
- Ability to perform Information Services Corporation (ISC) processes online, including land title transfers and other instrument registrations or inquiries.
- Project Management experience.
- Effective time management and organizational skills to prioritize competing tasks, conflicting due dates and meet legislated and corporate time lines.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills including presentation skills for public meetings and Council.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work load to achieve maximum results.
- Mediation/negotiation and conflict resolution skills to resolve disputes and to ensure City policies are achieved through development approvals or related directives.
- Ability to think creatively and use ingenuity to resolve unique problems pertaining to land development and planning matters.
- Excellent research and report writing skills.
- Proficient in Computer software including MS word, Excel, Access and Power point. AutoCAD experience is an asset and those with no experience will be required to take basic training.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
The City of Estevan offers a competitive salary and an outstanding benefits package.
Applicants must submit a resume, proof of qualifications and/or completed application forms and may be tested for appropriate skills. An interview may be conducted with applicants who qualify in skill, ability and qualifications.
Send Applications to:
Kelvin Pillipow, Human Resources Co-ordinator
Estevan, SK S4A 0W7
Indeed - 14 months ago
copy to clipboard