City of Edmonton Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Place for first job and learning proper work ethic
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2015
Very thorough with the training highly recommend if your looking for a Lifeguard job, tonnes of room for advancement. Great place to work. Great co-workers,
Typical Day At Work
Pool Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2013
Start at 10 P.M. and Work Til 6 A.M. Learned how to clean using various products and tools to maintain the pool facility. Management had good policy to follow in all aspects of job. Although, I worked alone, help was available from team for training and support. Night work was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable was free swimming and workouts.
Pros
compressed work day off and many other benifits
Cons
difficult standards to follow and maintain.
Working with great people to better the City
Methods Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2013
Great corporate culture, good pay and benefits. Unionized except management. Non discriminate employer.
Pros
great pay and benefits, work hours
Loved the job
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2015
Wish I was able to stay around and continue to work into the winter. They said they were going to look for a position in a different department but I never heard anything from them.
Pros
Great environment and managers
Apply and find out
Mining/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 13, 2015
I worked underground for sometime with the city this position aint worth $35 hr its worth $50 per hr. If you take the job you'll see what I mean.
Pros
benifits/ double time after 8
Cons
youll see when you get the job
Connectivity is key...
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton ABAugust 31, 2014
My days are long, but rewarding. Building strong relationship is the/my key to success. Accountability shouldn't be expected unless paired with authority. Daily goal is helping my co-workers succeed in their work/job/life. Managing scope creep is the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction I feel when a project plan has been adopted, because I know it is a solid plan due to my strong understanding of the connectivities and dependencies within the organization.
Pros
working with all departments.
Cons
long hours and political influences
collector II/III
collector/foreman (Current Employee) –  waste managementJune 7, 2013
i work in the waste management dept the moral is pretty close to the worst I've ever seen. Your day to day job will destroy your body over time and when you are used up you are told it's time to find another job. Wage is good but take home pay is way to low for what you do. Needle pokes, wasp attacks rolled ankles 15,000 to 20,000 kg BY HAND a day in the summer every day. Expected to pick up the slack for poor workers on top of your own work. This is one of the few cities left that still hand collects with no sign of it ever changing all the leaders and management only care about their own jobs and not their workers. The only way to get ahead is to kiss but and have no opinions to make changes they want everything to stay the same.
Pros
3day weekends
Cons
heavy volumes lack of respect
friendly, accepting, organized
Seasonal Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2013
Worked nights and days for a variety of labour intensive tasks. I used a sub pump to pump city drainage and maintained manholes and road condition near manholes. Management was organized and friendly, a typical day was enjoyable. Co-workers were friendly and enjoyable to work with, offered rides home and occasionally bought lunches. Very Generous. The company offered BBQ's to co-workers and provided work and life balance. When the season ended and a full time/permanent position was offered, I didnt have the transportation at the time and had to turn the offer down.
Pros
free lunches, rides homes, friendly co-workers and supervisors, accepting, and well organized
Cons
seasonal and inconvenient hours for non-vehicle owners
Very Productive and busy all the time. Always deadlines to meet. Great people to work with.
Inside Information/Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2014
A typical day at work is very busy and never dull. learn new things all the time. I learned how to work a lot of the City of Edmonton's in- house programs and expanded my knowledge of the Microsoft office suite program.

For the most management was great. Sometimes it was hard to meet with management when i had a question to ask and would have to wait for them quite awhile. I would ask as many of my co-workers the question that I had to ask my boss, and they were very helpful. I would only go to my boss if none of my co-workers knew the answer to my question about certain projects etc.

Sometimes clients/customers wanted certain things done immediately. Due to some procedures, sometimes we couldn't always do things as immediate as the customer would have liked, but i would always do my best to meet the customers expectations.

Most enjoyable part of the job for me was dealing with the customers, I thoroughly enjoy working with the public.
Pros
wage is good
Cons
not being able to meet the customers expectations as fast as they wanted, but due to rules and regulations, things were out of my control.
Decent place to work.
Labour Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2015
Good place to work, but terrible employees,lazy employees, and drama lots of drama. Also management doesnt hire enough extra people when people move... making work stressful.
Municipal work, like a large corporation with lots of variety
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 14, 2013
I only worked in a very small section of the City of Edmonton's expansive labour force. My experience was a good one, Unions meant I was always taken care of and well payed. Lots of hourly premiums for working holidays, weekends, and evenings. There was always plenty of opportunity for advancement. I worked a 6 to 2 shift but as I mentioned before the City runs its employment like a large company so there is tons of variety and different positions.
Pros
good wages, i always felt taken care of, flexible
Cons
not a lot of opportunity for holidays
the way this agency was set up at the time under community development, was not guided properly or evaluated for overall effetiveness
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 4, 2012
horrible place to work at the time, staff had worked together for many years and were inflexible to any change or new person, staff coming to work intoxicated or not all, staff doing personal business on work time, poor management, another staff had a mental illness, interpersonal conflict, clients were nasty and mean. staff were supposed to be promoted to education position which never happened
Pros
i learned the legislation, facilitated courses in the community
Cons
terrible work conditions, awful staff
A very good place to work :security, positive, progressive, respectful culture.
Social Worker, DVIT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 9, 2014
Direct work with clients who need help to prevent being a victim of violence in the future, lots of phone calls, interviews, documentation etc. Good support from Branch Management, great co- workers.
Hardest part is clients going back to a violent relationship.
Most enjoyable is independent nature of the job and when a client is very responsive to my intervention and very appreciative, makes positive steps forward etc.
Pros
independent work
Cons
the documentation system, long work day
Great Place to work
STRATEGIC ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ENGMarch 4, 2013
Great place to work, a typical day at work comprises of meetings, work at your station, responding to requests and interacting with stakeholders
Learned new things for my work
Management knows what they are doing, have a vision of where they want to go
The hardest part of the job was getting to understand the organization-too big
Most enjoyable part is the life work balance and the great colleagues
Pros
compressed week
Physically demanding, and very rewarding.
Sub-Foreman (Tunnel Division) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 20, 2012
Very professional management core. Excellent benefits, and excellent pay.
This Place is a Joke
labourer fleet services (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJanuary 2, 2013
I've worked for this company for many years its a deadend job the morale, is very low the company seems to think that they can ignor everyone's issues. but provideing us with gross lunch in's is a way to redeem themselves. unless your in good with management or have a friend or family member who is high up, the you will be promoted I was not intrested in taking certain training in the beging it was so

poorly run and had such of lack of support from the foremen I felt as though I would be at a loss to pursue it and from that moment on I was black listed from any promotions though I do get the interview but they always choose everyone else but me, the foremen are provided no training on how to treat there employes with respect, they can dog you or bully you all day everyday will no ill effects of

management stepping in to reslove the issue, and the supervisor will say you are at fault for being treated that way, you will get the worst of the worst jobs to do while the butt kissers get to do as they please, the foremen just want to send rude jokes to there friends go to mcdonalds and watch movies on youtube the union is under the arm of management not willing to stand up for your rights but very happy to take your $50 union duies every paycheck the benifits are ok but the due's are very high half

your paycheck will go towards it, leaving you with nothing the other employes are rude and strange most of them will try to get you in troubble by tateling to the boss about you not doing your work, when they are not doing there work, outside smoking very few employees will lend you
  more... a helping hand when you need it saying "its not my job" or they will say yes but ditch you and never be found, the

place is a joke I have been injured nurmous times at the fault of careless journeymen only to have management assure me in writing that the issue would be resolved and it never is, they tell you want you want to hear to get you out of there office the whole company is a deshambled mess I would highly avoid working for this company at all cost you will be more depressed and miserable then you have ever felt in your life
Pros
vacation time
Cons
most thing's
Fun, productive environment
Business Analyst/QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 9, 2014
While working at the city i learnt how to work in an agile organization, that undergoes constant reorganization. I acquired the skills on how to integrate and collaborate and adapt with different tiers of the management.
Pros
earned day off program
Cons
too much bureaucracy
The City of Edmonton is a great employer to work for
Conventional Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 11, 2014
I am very happy with how the city treats its workers. Management is great. Great group of co-workers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the public.
Pros
friendly environment
Awesome place to work
311 AGENT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 27, 2014
Awesome place to work. Great people and managers.Great opportunities to learn new things. Lots of Career advancement opportunities.
Pros
career growth
Cons
24 hours
Good Job Work/Life Balance
Project Manager in Financial Process Management (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 19, 2014
It's a good place to balance you work and life, especially for staff need to take care of little kids or other family members.
Pros
extra day offs
Cons
limited job advancement