City of Edmonton Employee Reviews in Canada

Best Place to Work
Administrative Support Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 8, 2015
Answering phones, data entry and document preparation, meeting booking and catering ordering. Management was friendly as were co-workers. I learned many new things.
Pros
Great pay and longer lunches.
Cons
Difficult to get a permanent position.
Many challenges, but, very supportive staff. Customer sevice issuse, Bylaw conflicts, new sevice starts , routing and staff management were a daily ta
Senior Municipal Waste Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 30, 2015
Outstanding! Anyone with the drive to advance, were all given ample opportunities to do so. Management was supportive and eager to nurture and guide those with ambition. An incredible source of knowledge and wisdom to draw from. Many thanks to their recourses and willingness to help to educate their employees. Respect!
Pros
many
Cons
few
Very fast paced ever changing environment with multiple players.
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2015
Core group of dedicated upbeat employees with a strong team work culture.
Being able to multi task is a definite requirement for this position.

All levels of management will be present at one time or another in a positive and supportive role.

Never the same day twice.
Pros
provide quality customer service.
Cons
location
productive, easy place to learn new things and lots of opportunities for advancement
truck driver/laborer (Former Employee) –  downtown edmontonJanuary 23, 2015
once at work your foreman will assign jobs according to condition outside. Learned lots of different types of equipment ranging from snow plows, tack truck, skid steers, sanders, tandem truck driving and other types of heavy equipment. Great group of employees to work with. Hardest part of the job is shift work during the winter season. Can enjoy things such as paid vacations, great benefits and always long weekends off.
Great staff-management needs a lot of work
DATS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
I worked for DATS for about 6 months. The job itself was great. Hard work, challenging, rewarding. Received several client commendations on my work. There was a lot of bullying, harassment and racism at the scheduling/operations level however. Supervisory staff were incompetent and arrogant. Management blindly followed supervisory staffs lead. I was assaulted by a client on video and called the police after defending myself. I was completely cleared of ANY wrongdoing by the Edmonton Police Service. However, I was told by Senior management (before police or DATS had completed their investigation) that it would have never happened if I had acted appropriately (victim blaming) and my probationary period was extended. Senior management also encouraged me to look at other employment options within the City of Edmonton at this time. This resulted in complete loss of trust and faith in the management and a downward spiral in my work and all aspects of my life. Supervisors who now had decided to micromanage my work (because I refused to meet with them without union representation after earlier harassment) made my job much more difficult. Eventually my stress and the pressure I was under to perform caused me to make poor decisions such as getting a photo radar ticket in an empty bus late at night in my now extended probationary period. I was let go. If I wasn't in extended probation I would have gotten a one day suspension and had to pay the fine. As many DATS operators have had to do. Everyone makes mistakes. My mistake was thinking that the Union I was a part of could do anything  more... for me other than take my money during my probationary period and following their bad advice. Learn from my mistakes folks!  less
Learned several aspects of being a manager, time management, leadership.
Garage Foreman/Heavy Duty Technician (Current Employee) –  SW EdmontonNovember 27, 2014
I look forward to meeting new challenges and enjoy moving forward. Learned how to be a coach, confidante and counsellor. I enjoyed meeting new people and listening to their stories. As this was first experience with Unions, I learned a lot about seniority and shift selecting. The City is a large organization and I was able to contribute to the lager picture for the citizens of Edmonton. It was an experience.
Great Municipality
Process Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2015
Great municipality, job security, and work life balance. Would recommend to work for the City of Edmonton to anyone. A bit of bureaucracy that is to be expected
Connectivity is key...
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton ABAugust 31, 2014
My days are long, but rewarding. Building strong relationship is the/my key to success. Accountability shouldn't be expected unless paired with authority. Daily goal is helping my co-workers succeed in their work/job/life. Managing scope creep is the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction I feel when a project plan has been adopted, because I know it is a solid plan due to my strong understanding of the connectivities and dependencies within the organization.
Pros
working with all departments.
Cons
long hours and political influences
Good Place to work for
Garage supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 11, 2014
As a supervisor it was a stressful place, but working with a great group of Peers got me through the issues, In Management did not have Union protection, so when company reorganized I was let go, very dissapointed, as a person on the floor I enjoyed a long career doing the things I enjoyed
Pros
good people at my level
Cons
no protection from uppermanagement
Productive and Result Oriented Workplace
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 23, 2014
We did the following work on a regular basis

Assist with creating and updating technical and project documents
Participate in training and provide support to internal clients migrated to Google Accounts, Groups or PST
Assist with testing of business application changes
Assist with providing technical support to internal customers
Prepare, submit and present reports and develop e-learning training documents using Uperform regarding - SAP(FICO, MM, PM), POSSE, SIRE and TACS.
Good thing the pay is deccent
RFA 1 (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 30, 2014
If they did not pay as well as they do I'm sure they'd have a hard time finding employees. Upper management makes you jump through so many hoops. Definitely would not make it a career. Hours are terrible, and they don't provide any benefits.
Pros
some very awesome customers, easy job, air conditioning.
Cons
management has no idea what's going on, no communication or trust, no benefits, being taken advantage of
A very good place to work :security, positive, progressive, respectful culture.
Social Worker, DVIT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 9, 2014
Direct work with clients who need help to prevent being a victim of violence in the future, lots of phone calls, interviews, documentation etc. Good support from Branch Management, great co- workers.
Hardest part is clients going back to a violent relationship.
Most enjoyable is independent nature of the job and when a client is very responsive to my intervention and very appreciative, makes positive steps forward etc.
Pros
independent work
Cons
the documentation system, long work day
Opposite Land
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2016
Where to begin. The shop is a mess, you spend a lot of time looking for shop tools and equipment. No time is provided to clean up the shop so you constantly work in other peoples messes. The parts department is useless and you frequently get wrong parts even when providing the old parts as samples. Don't bother asking foremans for technical assistance because they have no experience and they're not even heavy duty techs. Knowledge and hard work gets you no where. You must know people in managment to move up. The less experience you have and the less you know about your job the better the chance of being promoted. All of the paperwork gets completed by the technicians so not sure what the foremans do. They frequently use works like "efficiency" and "productivity" yet nobody seems to know what it means. The rotation schedule is insane giving you 8 nights in a row with no overtime in the winter. There's little to no overtime unless you manage to work on stats. I think of it as opposite land since all the wrong people get promoted, and nobody cares about anything and 6 months technical experience is good enough to be foreman because your buddy is in a higher position. Don't bother applying for the internal job postings because they already know who they want and create a posting to avoid suspicions. You pay for the benifits and they're useless and expensive. There are way too many deductions on pay checks, benefits, union dues, pension and charitable donations that nobody knows what it's for but it's mandatory. Once you take the pension your benefits get cut off. You have to pay  more... for your parking stalls. Coveralls were recently provided, i suppose 30 years of people wearing torn and worn down coveralls finally made them realize the technicians appear homeless. The union does absolutely nothing for us but love taking their dues. They've never been fully staffed in years untill the oil field went down the drain, that says a lot. Made more money as a 1st year apprentice than being here with 3 journeyman tickets. Leave your brain at the door and you'll be fine. In the end you do the formans job, the parts departments job and the mechanics job all for one low wage.  less
Pros
Paychecks don't bounce
Cons
Bad rotation schedule, disorganized, too many pay deductions, inexperienced management
Safe, productive and fun workplace.
Ticket Usher (Former Employee) –  Comonwelth stadium.February 3, 2014
Ever football game I would arrive at the stadium, we would have an employee meeting then off to the designated gate. over the course of the game hundreds of people came through each gate. we were responsible to scanning tickets, if there were issues with the tickets we had to direct people to ticket booths. we were also responsible for directing to seats, consignment, transportation and other such places. we also had to make sure that no alcohol left the premises. the hardest part was being exposed to the elements, but the other employees were a joy to works with.
Pros
a free hot dog and beverage
Cons
exposed to the elements
Enjoyable Work environment with some faults
Personal Trainer and Fitness Monitor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 11, 2013
I enjoy being a City Employee. However, the field in which I work has no job security, no benefits, no chance to advance or move up, and the pay is only good if you sacrafice your entire schedule to working insane and sporadic hours. The co workers and employers are amazing people that love what they do. They are driven and passionate about the health industry. However, this career path does not mesh well with my goals in life.
Pros
free membership to city recreation facilities
Cons
sporadic hours, no job security, no benefits, medicore pay
Municipal work, like a large corporation with lots of variety
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 14, 2013
I only worked in a very small section of the City of Edmonton's expansive labour force. My experience was a good one, Unions meant I was always taken care of and well payed. Lots of hourly premiums for working holidays, weekends, and evenings. There was always plenty of opportunity for advancement. I worked a 6 to 2 shift but as I mentioned before the City runs its employment like a large company so there is tons of variety and different positions.
Pros
good wages, i always felt taken care of, flexible
Cons
not a lot of opportunity for holidays
Productive: Busy workplace, fun and team orientated
Animal Control Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2013
- 8 hour day

- I learned to have good listening skills, be empathetic as well as to have a good relationship with customers.
- I was a front store supervisor as well as a postal manager
- I had great co-workers, we worked as a team and helped each other and had fun as well.
- The hardest part of the job was having to talk with a co-worker about a problem.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was talking with internal and external customers and helping them with there needs.
Pros
getting positive feedback
Cons
on your feet for hours
We have a very productive work place and great people to work with.
LICENSED COMMUNITY PEACE OFFICER #13548 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 21, 2013
My typical day at work is getting prepared for the day with morning meetings ie; safety talks and concerns. I have gained a great knowledge of the city and the parking By-Laws and I have a great team of people to work with. The hardest part is dealing with the aggressive people and the threats of bodily harm to myself and other co-workers,but for the most part dealing with the public has been very enjoyable. The most enjoyable part is helping people.
Pros
company b.b.q's, staff with good sense of humor.
Cons
there are none except maybe a better pay ;)
Thw World Masters Games - Golf Event was a challenge. Very rewarding, hard work and a lot of fun.
World Masters Games 2005 - Golf Competition Chair (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 29, 2012
A great experience! I was very happy to have this experience. It was hard work but I was able to enlist the help of very experienced volunteers. We put together a really good team. I would do this type of thing again in a heartbeat! The City of Edmonton were nice people to work for.
Pros
i could work my own hours, just get it done. meet deadlines.
Cons
the job ended when the games were done.
the way this agency was set up at the time under community development, was not guided properly or evaluated for overall effetiveness
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 4, 2012
horrible place to work at the time, staff had worked together for many years and were inflexible to any change or new person, staff coming to work intoxicated or not all, staff doing personal business on work time, poor management, another staff had a mental illness, interpersonal conflict, clients were nasty and mean. staff were supposed to be promoted to education position which never happened
Pros
i learned the legislation, facilitated courses in the community
Cons
terrible work conditions, awful staff

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location