City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Clear expectations
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2013
At the City, you know you're never going to be emotionally babysat. There are always many levels of management above you, which ensures that your ego is likely to never get out of control.

That being said, people at the section level tend to form close-knit teams and support each other. If you can find a spot like that, you're golden.
Pros
decent salaries, mostly guaranteed raises
Cons
frustration with the system, stress
Family Gatherings
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2016
It was nice to enter a work force, full of such accepting people. The 'family' that has been created there was amazingly helpful and fun. There was never a time where someone was not willing to assist with either answering a question, or lending a helping hand. It was a great place to learn new and helpful tips for an everyday life.
Flexible hours with excellent in house training opportunities.
Lifeguard/Pool Service Person/ Aquatic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2014
I have enjoyed working for the City of Edmonton for nearly 5 years.

Over this time I have moved from a swimming instructor, to a lifeguard and over the past 2 years I have now been working as a pool service person nearly half the time I am at work. I have always been mechanically inclined and my supervisors have seen this and used me to their advantage. I am often in charge of heading back washes as well as completing pump and filtration system maintenance. If my supervisors are not around. I am always the one that my fellow co workers call upon if there is a mechanical or water chemistry related issue.

I enjoy the problem solving aspect of it dealing with our complex filtration systems and find a sense of satisfaction when I can get things running smoothly.
Pros
Excellent management and job security, a great feeling of belonging.
Cons
Hours can some times be unreliable, some weeks I'll work 50 hours a week and other's 30 hours per week.
Not a Bad summer Job
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2015
this Job was not very well run in a sense that they aren't the most organized with what the tasks for the day are. the benefits are great and same with the pay the only downside is that you don't know who you are going to be working with because the city uses the buddy system.
outstanding
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2016
nice to be able to provide a service to help people who do not drive, to get to and from work and wherever else they need to go
Enjoyable Work environment with some faults
Personal Trainer and Fitness Monitor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2013
I enjoy being a City Employee. However, the field in which I work has no job security, no benefits, no chance to advance or move up, and the pay is only good if you sacrafice your entire schedule to working insane and sporadic hours. The co workers and employers are amazing people that love what they do. They are driven and passionate about the health industry. However, this career path does not mesh well with my goals in life.
Pros
Free membership to City Recreation Facilities
Cons
Sporadic hours, no job security, no benefits, medicore pay
Would be better if year round
Parks Servicing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 March 2016
A great place to work. Attention to training and safety is top notch. All employees seem to take great pride in maintaining the beauty of the facilities they have been assigned to.
Pros
Public Appreciation
Cons
Short Season
Great Place to Work
Customer Servive Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 November 2015
I have been with the Community Service Department for over 20 years, one of the reasons is it is a great place to work, excellent salary and great benefits.
City of Edmonton
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2016
I have been teaching yoga with the City of Edmonton since 2007. I am happy teaching with the City. The Program Coordinators are very accommodating and share information as they receive it.
Very fast paced ever changing environment with multiple players.
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2015
Core group of dedicated upbeat employees with a strong team work culture.
Being able to multi task is a definite requirement for this position.

All levels of management will be present at one time or another in a positive and supportive role.

Never the same day twice.
Pros
Provide quality customer service.
Typical Day At Work
Pool Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2013
Start at 10 P.M. and Work Til 6 A.M. Learned how to clean using various products and tools to maintain the pool facility. Management had good policy to follow in all aspects of job. Although, I worked alone, help was available from team for training and support. Night work was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable was free swimming and workouts.
Pros
Compressed work day off and many other benifits
Cons
Difficult standards to follow and maintain.
Great Municipality
Process Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2015
Great municipality, job security, and work life balance. Would recommend to work for the City of Edmonton to anyone. A bit of bureaucracy that is to be expected
Working with great people to better the City
Methods Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2013
Great corporate culture, good pay and benefits. Unionized except management. Non discriminate employer.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, work hours
Good Place to work for
Garage supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2014
As a supervisor it was a stressful place, but working with a great group of Peers got me through the issues, In Management did not have Union protection, so when company reorganized I was let go, very dissapointed, as a person on the floor I enjoyed a long career doing the things I enjoyed
Pros
Good people at my level
Cons
No protection from uppermanagement
Incredible workplace with great people to work with and for.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2015
One of the finest places I've ever worked. My work day typically involved a split shift where I was responsible for the transportation of 1 to 80 persons at a time. I worked alone but was never alone. My co-workers were positive people and were VERY supportive. The hardest part of the job was the bouncing involved while driving. It's the reason I had to go on LTD.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradeship between all the drivers.
Pros
Pay and benefits were great.
Cons
Driving in poor weather and road conditions.
A great place to work.
Planner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2015
The City of Edmonton is a great place to work. There are great people and the work/life balance is excellent. There's an excellent benefits package as well.
Staff
Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2016
Definitely some very good people to work with. Positive, mentoring environment. I was only employed in a temp capacity. Very rewarding.
collector II/III
collector/foreman (Current Employee) –  waste management7 June 2013
i work in the waste management dept the moral is pretty close to the worst I've ever seen. Your day to day job will destroy your body over time and when you are used up you are told it's time to find another job. Wage is good but take home pay is way to low for what you do. Needle pokes, wasp attacks rolled ankles 15,000 to 20,000 kg BY HAND a day in the summer every day. Expected to pick up the slack for poor workers on top of your own work. This is one of the few cities left that still hand collects with no sign of it ever changing all the leaders and management only care about their own jobs and not their workers. The only way to get ahead is to kiss but and have no opinions to make changes they want everything to stay the same.
Pros
3day weekends
Cons
heavy volumes lack of respect
Great Job
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton28 September 2015
Great job, unfortunately for someone with a family it is not recommended unless you get on permanent. No benefits otherwise.
Great working environment, friendly staffing, great benifits.
Tax Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 December 2015
My time working with the City of Edmonton i felt welcomed and the staffing were quick to help when help was needed. Amazing working environment which made coming to work very enjoyable.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
No Parking

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location