City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Great group of dedicated and inteligent employees
Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
City of Edmonton is a fast paced goal oriented environment. I learned how to work within a team environment. Co-works are very considerate and helpful
easy job with lots of different people to interact with
Recycling depot attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
A variety of different work tasks was available which helped mix up the weeks. Great place to work for a university student.
Excellent place to earn a living.
Labourer II (Turf Maintenance) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
Wonderful place to work. I was treated with respect, and given the opportunity to increase my skills and knowledge while at work.
Pros
Excellent benefits / pension plan
Great overall experience
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta1 September 2016
I excelled in my first aid training and became more confident in dealing with public disputes, recognizing hazards and managing my time.
Pros
Great environment, provided with many first aid courses
Cons
Higher levels of stress, long hours
Data Collection Technical Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
-Allows you to keep learning
-Learned patience and to work with difficult people and situations
-Early and late hours allowed for determination to excel
Not a good place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2016
I worked there for one summer. All it was,was problem after problem. Management thinks there all that and more same with some of the techs and things that get brought up by the workers hardly get looked at again because they dont think we know what we are talking about. I was one of the first to be laid off becasue i had a grievance in and was not rehire do to having family work there. I have not been able to get rehire in any area of the city due to this which is bias in a way.
The people you actually work out in the field with are good though.
Pros
co workers
Cons
no life, management isnt good
Good Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  City of Edmonton, AB20 June 2016
Salary is low to private sector... Next to no negotiation on hiring.

Workload is good, management is very good. Everyone here is here to better the City and are very helpful. Safety is very important.

As you can imagine there is lots of red tape and approvals for everything.

Benefits are pretty standard...
Pros
Helpful people, friendly and accomidating
Cons
Red tape, slow approvals, low salary, very few additional perks
Great teenage summer job opportunities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2016
The Leaders in Training program is a great way to develop the social skills required by many employers. It helps you communicate effectively with all age groups.
Pros
great people, good hours
Cons
own transport required
Keep the day productive, and enjoy it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  City of Edmonton, AB15 June 2016
Always making the day a productive day, but also interact with customer or clients to make a better atmosphere, hard work pays off. interact with co workers to socialize more and to interact to improve. there not hard part in any job, as long you put your mind to it. and most enjoyable part of any job is just doing what your suppose to do and work as hard as you can
Great vision, deep support and diversified people
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2016
Great opportunity for someone young starting out in their career. Not a lot of opportunities to advance depending on what area you are working in.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Too much corporate involvement, always changing things because they feel it would be better but most
Friendly atmosphere and nice work conditions
Heavy duty mechanic apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2016
I enjoyed working at The City of Edmonton for three main reasons. One is that everyone is extremely friendly and helpful towards each other and everyone take safety seriously. Second is the nice working condition in the shops. Third is the great work schedule.
Productive, Friendly, Supportive and as a team its wonderful workplace to work for and at.
Junior System Analayst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2016
Everyone at the City of Edmonton is very friendly and very supportive. They value your talent and help you to build more for your future employer. Everyone here works as a team and anyone who has some trouble or issue with something can easily go to the Manager or Architects for help and they do it on the spot without even thinking of anything else. For me this is the wonderful place to work at and for. Knowledge is the key in the City of Edmonton as everyone here has an experience of over 15 years or over which is a very good thing for any intern as we can learn a lot from this experience.
Two thumbs down.
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A13 August 2016
They hire their kids and friends. Most qualified applicants aren't given interviews. I am an engineer and couldn't get a call back for engineering, maintenance or basic labour jobs.
Pros
None.
Cons
Too many to name
great people and you will learn from the job.
Project Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 May 2016
nice job to start with, lots of friendly and helpful workers. Some contractors are rude and uncooperative. Lack of professional guidance and poor working cnditions. Exposed in all kinds of weather.
Pros
great supervisors
Cons
no room for improvement
Amazing job, Great People!
Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2016
I worked with brilliant people at the City of Edmonton. Leadership and management are great. Also, there is great work culture. I was lucky enough to have some freedom to pursue issues that I thought were important.
Pros
flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
political gridlock to good ideas
Fun and easy to do after hours
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2016
I was on my own. I made daily contact with my supervisor to report daily progress. It helped me to talk to people to help gain the information I needed.
Pros
At my own pace
Cons
Only temporary until end of census
Excellent
Fire Cadet (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2016
I learned life skills and life lessons that will benefit me in the fute. Being still in high school it allowed me to see how the career of a fire fighter really is and if I want to persue it.
Family Gatherings
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2016
It was nice to enter a work force, full of such accepting people. The 'family' that has been created there was amazingly helpful and fun. There was never a time where someone was not willing to assist with either answering a question, or lending a helping hand. It was a great place to learn new and helpful tips for an everyday life.
My review is a typical day at work
Summer Labourer 1 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2016
Meeting in the morning to discuss various conditions of parks, or safety talks.Going to next location, then assess what is needed.I always enjoy the social gathering like Bar-B-Q for a job well done.
Pros
social gathering once a year during the summer
Cons
Weather conditions
great
Accounting Support Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2016
Learned so much on the job and was welcomed at the job. There was lots to learn and everyone was well respected. It was a fun place to work

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location