City of Edmonton Employee Reviews in Canada

Bad
Roadway Maintenance Labourer / Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 25, 2015
Avoid it if you like working for good people. I was treated poorly and if you want to move up or go anywhere hard work isn't noticed, but kissing up certainly is.
Great learning experience
Temporary F/T (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 24, 2015
Great learning experience. I got to have different experiences but I feel as though they need certain new staff in order for the morale to go up .
good people
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 31, 2015
The City of Edmonton has very good people and it is very fun to work for. It is very structured and enjoyable. It is good to know that i could be involved in working for the City of Edmonton.
Great Job
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  EdmontonSeptember 28, 2015
Great job, unfortunately for someone with a family it is not recommended unless you get on permanent. No benefits otherwise.
Great summer opportunity
Wading Pool Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 11, 2015
I liked working there and it gave me some great experiences needed for future jobs. I enjoyed working with all the employees.
Fun and positive work environment with helpful managers.
Business Operations Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 24, 2015
Worked on a knowledge management tool for the employees of the city to use. We consolidated information from different sources and inputed the information to the tool. Had to ensure that the information was accurate and concise. The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to work with experienced marketing managers.
Incredible workplace with great people to work with and for.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2015
One of the finest places I've ever worked. My work day typically involved a split shift where I was responsible for the transportation of 1 to 80 persons at a time. I worked alone but was never alone. My co-workers were positive people and were VERY supportive. The hardest part of the job was the bouncing involved while driving. It's the reason I had to go on LTD.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradeship between all the drivers.
Pros
Pay and benefits were great.
Cons
Driving in poor weather and road conditions.
Loved the job
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2015
Wish I was able to stay around and continue to work into the winter. They said they were going to look for a position in a different department but I never heard anything from them.
Pros
Great environment and managers
Best Place to Work
Administrative Support Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 8, 2015
Answering phones, data entry and document preparation, meeting booking and catering ordering. Management was friendly as were co-workers. I learned many new things.
Pros
Great pay and longer lunches.
Cons
Difficult to get a permanent position.
Great Municipality
Process Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2015
Great municipality, job security, and work life balance. Would recommend to work for the City of Edmonton to anyone. A bit of bureaucracy that is to be expected
Very fast paced ever changing environment with multiple players.
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2015
Core group of dedicated upbeat employees with a strong team work culture.
Being able to multi task is a definite requirement for this position.

All levels of management will be present at one time or another in a positive and supportive role.

Never the same day twice.
Pros
provide quality customer service.
Cons
location
Many challenges, but, very supportive staff. Customer sevice issuse, Bylaw conflicts, new sevice starts , routing and staff management were a daily ta
Senior Municipal Waste Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 30, 2015
Outstanding! Anyone with the drive to advance, were all given ample opportunities to do so. Management was supportive and eager to nurture and guide those with ambition. An incredible source of knowledge and wisdom to draw from. Many thanks to their recourses and willingness to help to educate their employees. Respect!
Pros
many
Cons
few
productive, easy place to learn new things and lots of opportunities for advancement
truck driver/laborer (Former Employee) –  downtown edmontonJanuary 23, 2015
once at work your foreman will assign jobs according to condition outside. Learned lots of different types of equipment ranging from snow plows, tack truck, skid steers, sanders, tandem truck driving and other types of heavy equipment. Great group of employees to work with. Hardest part of the job is shift work during the winter season. Can enjoy things such as paid vacations, great benefits and always long weekends off.
Learned several aspects of being a manager, time management, leadership.
Garage Foreman/Heavy Duty Technician (Current Employee) –  SW EdmontonNovember 27, 2014
I look forward to meeting new challenges and enjoy moving forward. Learned how to be a coach, confidante and counsellor. I enjoyed meeting new people and listening to their stories. As this was first experience with Unions, I learned a lot about seniority and shift selecting. The City is a large organization and I was able to contribute to the lager picture for the citizens of Edmonton. It was an experience.
Great Place for first job and learning proper work ethic
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2015
Very thorough with the training highly recommend if your looking for a Lifeguard job, tonnes of room for advancement. Great place to work. Great co-workers,
Productive and Fun workplace
Development Coordination (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 18, 2015
-8 hours per day minus lunch
-land development
-review drawings
-adhere to any requests or tend to any inquiries
-draft servicing agreements
Pros
free lunches, good hours
Cons
office bound
Good Place to work for
Garage supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 11, 2014
As a supervisor it was a stressful place, but working with a great group of Peers got me through the issues, In Management did not have Union protection, so when company reorganized I was let go, very dissapointed, as a person on the floor I enjoyed a long career doing the things I enjoyed
Pros
good people at my level
Cons
no protection from uppermanagement
Apply and find out
Mining/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 13, 2015
I worked underground for sometime with the city this position aint worth $35 hr its worth $50 per hr. If you take the job you'll see what I mean.
Pros
benifits/ double time after 8
Cons
youll see when you get the job
Connectivity is key...
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton ABAugust 31, 2014
My days are long, but rewarding. Building strong relationship is the/my key to success. Accountability shouldn't be expected unless paired with authority. Daily goal is helping my co-workers succeed in their work/job/life. Managing scope creep is the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction I feel when a project plan has been adopted, because I know it is a solid plan due to my strong understanding of the connectivities and dependencies within the organization.
Pros
working with all departments.
Cons
long hours and political influences
It's been great working with the city on my term role.
HR/Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2015
I have met a lot of great people working at the City of Edmonton. Team work is valued there and mentoring is becoming high on the priority list and I respect that.