City of Edmonton Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Place to Work
Customer Servive Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 10, 2015
I have been with the Community Service Department for over 20 years, one of the reasons is it is a great place to work, excellent salary and great benefits.
easy job but not much to it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 18, 2016
job was easy and i didnt learn anything i didnt already know. was basic labor tasks. most co-workers were great but some were annoying. management was the reason i left.
Would be better if year round
Parks Servicing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
A great place to work. Attention to training and safety is top notch. All employees seem to take great pride in maintaining the beauty of the facilities they have been assigned to.
Pros
Public Appreciation
Cons
Short Season
City of Edmonton
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
I have been teaching yoga with the City of Edmonton since 2007. I am happy teaching with the City. The Program Coordinators are very accommodating and share information as they receive it.
outstanding
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2016
nice to be able to provide a service to help people who do not drive, to get to and from work and wherever else they need to go
Great staff-management needs a lot of work
DATS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
I worked for DATS for about 6 months. The job itself was great. Hard work, challenging, rewarding. Received several client commendations on my work. There was a lot of bullying, harassment and racism at the scheduling/operations level however. Supervisory staff were incompetent and arrogant. Management blindly followed supervisory staffs lead. I was assaulted by a client on video and called the police after defending myself. I was completely cleared of ANY wrongdoing by the Edmonton Police Service. However, I was told by Senior management (before police or DATS had completed their investigation) that it would have never happened if I had acted appropriately (victim blaming) and my probationary period was extended. Senior management also encouraged me to look at other employment options within the City of Edmonton at this time. This resulted in complete loss of trust and faith in the management and a downward spiral in my work and all aspects of my life. Supervisors who now had decided to micromanage my work (because I refused to meet with them without union representation after earlier harassment) made my job much more difficult. Eventually my stress and the pressure I was under to perform caused me to make poor decisions such as getting a photo radar ticket in an empty bus late at night in my now extended probationary period. I was let go. If I wasn't in extended probation I would have gotten a one day suspension and had to pay the fine. As many DATS operators have had to do. Everyone makes mistakes. My mistake was thinking that the Union I was a part of could do anything  more... for me other than take my money during my probationary period and following their bad advice. Learn from my mistakes folks!  less
hard working labour intensive job with various skills required
Tunnel Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 24, 2014
A typical day at work would be digging underground by hand for the cities drainage system, with the use of a jackhammer and shovel. We learn how to deal with different ground conditions as well as how to manage time so we finish proper footage in a day. One of the main reason I am looking to further my career else where is because of management. This department in my opinion is poorly disorganized, does not value young driven employees and shows no interest or gives opportunities to advance a career within the department. My co-workers are usually great to work with, hard workers with drive for towards an honest days work. one of the hardest parts of my job would be operating a jackhammer for upwards to twelve hours a day 5-7 days a week, and the most enjoyable part of my job is working with a great crew and learning new ways to make the job and day go a little easier.
Pros
benefits medical and dental, and vaction pay
Cons
very labour intensive work, low opportunites for advancment in a career
Great Municipality
Process Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2015
Great municipality, job security, and work life balance. Would recommend to work for the City of Edmonton to anyone. A bit of bureaucracy that is to be expected
Great working environment, friendly staffing, great benifits.
Tax Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 16, 2015
My time working with the City of Edmonton i felt welcomed and the staffing were quick to help when help was needed. Amazing working environment which made coming to work very enjoyable.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
No Parking
Staff
Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 25, 2016
Definitely some very good people to work with. Positive, mentoring environment. I was only employed in a temp capacity. Very rewarding.
Opposite Land
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2016
Where to begin. The shop is a mess, you spend a lot of time looking for shop tools and equipment. No time is provided to clean up the shop so you constantly work in other peoples messes. The parts department is useless and you frequently get wrong parts even when providing the old parts as samples. Don't bother asking foremans for technical assistance because they have no experience and they're not even heavy duty techs. Knowledge and hard work gets you no where. You must know people in managment to move up. The less experience you have and the less you know about your job the better the chance of being promoted. All of the paperwork gets completed by the technicians so not sure what the foremans do. They frequently use works like "efficiency" and "productivity" yet nobody seems to know what it means. The rotation schedule is insane giving you 8 nights in a row with no overtime in the winter. There's little to no overtime unless you manage to work on stats. I think of it as opposite land since all the wrong people get promoted, and nobody cares about anything and 6 months technical experience is good enough to be foreman because your buddy is in a higher position. Don't bother applying for the internal job postings because they already know who they want and create a posting to avoid suspicions. You pay for the benifits and they're useless and expensive. There are way too many deductions on pay checks, benefits, union dues, pension and charitable donations that nobody knows what it's for but it's mandatory. Once you take the pension your benefits get cut off. You have to pay  more... for your parking stalls. Coveralls were recently provided, i suppose 30 years of people wearing torn and worn down coveralls finally made them realize the technicians appear homeless. The union does absolutely nothing for us but love taking their dues. They've never been fully staffed in years untill the oil field went down the drain, that says a lot. Made more money as a 1st year apprentice than being here with 3 journeyman tickets. Leave your brain at the door and you'll be fine. In the end you do the formans job, the parts departments job and the mechanics job all for one low wage.  less
Pros
Paychecks don't bounce
Cons
Bad rotation schedule, disorganized, too many pay deductions, inexperienced management
Great Job
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  EdmontonSeptember 28, 2015
Great job, unfortunately for someone with a family it is not recommended unless you get on permanent. No benefits otherwise.
Good thing the pay is deccent
RFA 1 (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 30, 2014
If they did not pay as well as they do I'm sure they'd have a hard time finding employees. Upper management makes you jump through so many hoops. Definitely would not make it a career. Hours are terrible, and they don't provide any benefits.
Pros
some very awesome customers, easy job, air conditioning.
Cons
management has no idea what's going on, no communication or trust, no benefits, being taken advantage of
Great place if you are in retirement mode
Safety Codes Officer, Electrical Group (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 29, 2013
Municipal governments are a great place to work. You are provided a high level of job security, pension and benefits. However, the wages are just not comparable with the private sector. Couple that with the reduced working hours and the wage rate really starts to suffer. Lots of levels of management as well that one has to deal with which can be frustrating.
Pros
earned days off
Cons
37.5 hour work week.
Very fast paced ever changing environment with multiple players.
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2015
Core group of dedicated upbeat employees with a strong team work culture.
Being able to multi task is a definite requirement for this position.

All levels of management will be present at one time or another in a positive and supportive role.

Never the same day twice.
Pros
provide quality customer service.
Cons
location
Working with children and providing safety for all
Child Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2015
Planning week by week is beneficial, you plan what you would like to do with the kids. Children keep you on your toes and you'll never have a dull moment. Regular hours is always great, and a great way to spend your summers if looking for a summer position. Friday in-services are great to gain new ideas and talk with co-workers and supervisors.
Pros
the kids, co-wokers
Clear expectations
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 7, 2013
At the City, you know you're never going to be emotionally babysat. There are always many levels of management above you, which ensures that your ego is likely to never get out of control.

That being said, people at the section level tend to form close-knit teams and support each other. If you can find a spot like that, you're golden.
Pros
decent salaries, mostly guaranteed raises
Cons
frustration with the system, stress
Flexible hours with excellent in house training opportunities.
Lifeguard/Pool Service Person/ Aquatic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2014
I have enjoyed working for the City of Edmonton for nearly 5 years.

Over this time I have moved from a swimming instructor, to a lifeguard and over the past 2 years I have now been working as a pool service person nearly half the time I am at work. I have always been mechanically inclined and my supervisors have seen this and used me to their advantage. I am often in charge of heading back washes as well as completing pump and filtration system maintenance. If my supervisors are not around. I am always the one that my fellow co workers call upon if there is a mechanical or water chemistry related issue.

I enjoy the problem solving aspect of it dealing with our complex filtration systems and find a sense of satisfaction when I can get things running smoothly.
Pros
excellent management and job security, a great feeling of belonging.
Cons
hours can some times be unreliable, some weeks i'll work 50 hours a week and other's 30 hours per week.
good place to work and learn different job skills
Heavy Body Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaOctober 11, 2015
My job provided me with new tasks each day which were not only monotonous but were also challenging. I found the job stability was there. It provided me with a decent income and benefit. Although I worked mainly on my own I still felt a sense of teamwork.
Incredible workplace with great people to work with and for.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2015
One of the finest places I've ever worked. My work day typically involved a split shift where I was responsible for the transportation of 1 to 80 persons at a time. I worked alone but was never alone. My co-workers were positive people and were VERY supportive. The hardest part of the job was the bouncing involved while driving. It's the reason I had to go on LTD.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradeship between all the drivers.
Pros
Pay and benefits were great.
Cons
Driving in poor weather and road conditions.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location