City of Edmonton Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent
Fire Cadet (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I learned life skills and life lessons that will benefit me in the fute. Being still in high school it allowed me to see how the career of a fire fighter really is and if I want to persue it.
great
Accounting Support Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2016
Learned so much on the job and was welcomed at the job. There was lots to learn and everyone was well respected. It was a fun place to work
My review is a typical day at work
Summer Labourer 1 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 25, 2016
Meeting in the morning to discuss various conditions of parks, or safety talks.Going to next location, then assess what is needed.I always enjoy the social gathering like Bar-B-Q for a job well done.
Pros
social gathering once a year during the summer
Cons
Weather conditions
Family Gatherings
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2016
It was nice to enter a work force, full of such accepting people. The 'family' that has been created there was amazingly helpful and fun. There was never a time where someone was not willing to assist with either answering a question, or lending a helping hand. It was a great place to learn new and helpful tips for an everyday life.
Google Sites project
Senior Lead Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
This project affected all areas of the City of Edmonton. The project was very challenging. All areas of the City were excited to upgrage their web portal.
Pros
People, Process
Cons
n/a
hard working labour intensive job with various skills required
Tunnel Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 24, 2014
A typical day at work would be digging underground by hand for the cities drainage system, with the use of a jackhammer and shovel. We learn how to deal with different ground conditions as well as how to manage time so we finish proper footage in a day. One of the main reason I am looking to further my career else where is because of management. This department in my opinion is poorly disorganized, does not value young driven employees and shows no interest or gives opportunities to advance a career within the department. My co-workers are usually great to work with, hard workers with drive for towards an honest days work. one of the hardest parts of my job would be operating a jackhammer for upwards to twelve hours a day 5-7 days a week, and the most enjoyable part of my job is working with a great crew and learning new ways to make the job and day go a little easier.
Pros
benefits medical and dental, and vaction pay
Cons
very labour intensive work, low opportunites for advancment in a career
easy job but not much to it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 18, 2016
job was easy and i didnt learn anything i didnt already know. was basic labor tasks. most co-workers were great but some were annoying. management was the reason i left.
Would be better if year round
Parks Servicing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
A great place to work. Attention to training and safety is top notch. All employees seem to take great pride in maintaining the beauty of the facilities they have been assigned to.
Pros
Public Appreciation
Cons
Short Season
productive, easy place to learn new things and lots of opportunities for advancement
truck driver/laborer (Former Employee) –  downtown edmontonJanuary 23, 2015
once at work your foreman will assign jobs according to condition outside. Learned lots of different types of equipment ranging from snow plows, tack truck, skid steers, sanders, tandem truck driving and other types of heavy equipment. Great group of employees to work with. Hardest part of the job is shift work during the winter season. Can enjoy things such as paid vacations, great benefits and always long weekends off.
Enjoyable Work environment with some faults
Personal Trainer and Fitness Monitor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 11, 2013
I enjoy being a City Employee. However, the field in which I work has no job security, no benefits, no chance to advance or move up, and the pay is only good if you sacrafice your entire schedule to working insane and sporadic hours. The co workers and employers are amazing people that love what they do. They are driven and passionate about the health industry. However, this career path does not mesh well with my goals in life.
Pros
free membership to city recreation facilities
Cons
sporadic hours, no job security, no benefits, medicore pay
outstanding
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2016
nice to be able to provide a service to help people who do not drive, to get to and from work and wherever else they need to go
Great staff-management needs a lot of work
DATS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
I worked for DATS for about 6 months. The job itself was great. Hard work, challenging, rewarding. Received several client commendations on my work. There was a lot of bullying, harassment and racism at the scheduling/operations level however. Supervisory staff were incompetent and arrogant. Management blindly followed supervisory staffs lead. I was assaulted by a client on video and called the police after defending myself. I was completely cleared of ANY wrongdoing by the Edmonton Police Service. However, I was told by Senior management (before police or DATS had completed their investigation) that it would have never happened if I had acted appropriately (victim blaming) and my probationary period was extended. Senior management also encouraged me to look at other employment options within the City of Edmonton at this time. This resulted in complete loss of trust and faith in the management and a downward spiral in my work and all aspects of my life. Supervisors who now had decided to micromanage my work (because I refused to meet with them without union representation after earlier harassment) made my job much more difficult. Eventually my stress and the pressure I was under to perform caused me to make poor decisions such as getting a photo radar ticket in an empty bus late at night in my now extended probationary period. I was let go. If I wasn't in extended probation I would have gotten a one day suspension and had to pay the fine. As many DATS operators have had to do. Everyone makes mistakes. My mistake was thinking that the Union I was a part of could do anything  more... for me other than take my money during my probationary period and following their bad advice. Learn from my mistakes folks!  less
City of Edmonton
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
I have been teaching yoga with the City of Edmonton since 2007. I am happy teaching with the City. The Program Coordinators are very accommodating and share information as they receive it.
Excellent work/life balance
methods analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 11, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. Tons of growth opportunities. New initiatives are well received by the management. Excellent work/life balance.
Great place if you are in retirement mode
Safety Codes Officer, Electrical Group (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 29, 2013
Municipal governments are a great place to work. You are provided a high level of job security, pension and benefits. However, the wages are just not comparable with the private sector. Couple that with the reduced working hours and the wage rate really starts to suffer. Lots of levels of management as well that one has to deal with which can be frustrating.
Pros
earned days off
Cons
37.5 hour work week.
Good thing the pay is deccent
RFA 1 (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJuly 30, 2014
If they did not pay as well as they do I'm sure they'd have a hard time finding employees. Upper management makes you jump through so many hoops. Definitely would not make it a career. Hours are terrible, and they don't provide any benefits.
Pros
some very awesome customers, easy job, air conditioning.
Cons
management has no idea what's going on, no communication or trust, no benefits, being taken advantage of
Clear expectations
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 7, 2013
At the City, you know you're never going to be emotionally babysat. There are always many levels of management above you, which ensures that your ego is likely to never get out of control.

That being said, people at the section level tend to form close-knit teams and support each other. If you can find a spot like that, you're golden.
Pros
decent salaries, mostly guaranteed raises
Cons
frustration with the system, stress
Opposite Land
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2016
Where to begin. The shop is a mess, you spend a lot of time looking for shop tools and equipment. No time is provided to clean up the shop so you constantly work in other peoples messes. The parts department is useless and you frequently get wrong parts even when providing the old parts as samples. Don't bother asking foremans for technical assistance because they have no experience and they're not even heavy duty techs. Knowledge and hard work gets you no where. You must know people in managment to move up. The less experience you have and the less you know about your job the better the chance of being promoted. All of the paperwork gets completed by the technicians so not sure what the foremans do. They frequently use works like "efficiency" and "productivity" yet nobody seems to know what it means. The rotation schedule is insane giving you 8 nights in a row with no overtime in the winter. There's little to no overtime unless you manage to work on stats. I think of it as opposite land since all the wrong people get promoted, and nobody cares about anything and 6 months technical experience is good enough to be foreman because your buddy is in a higher position. Don't bother applying for the internal job postings because they already know who they want and create a posting to avoid suspicions. You pay for the benifits and they're useless and expensive. There are way too many deductions on pay checks, benefits, union dues, pension and charitable donations that nobody knows what it's for but it's mandatory. Once you take the pension your benefits get cut off. You have to pay  more... for your parking stalls. Coveralls were recently provided, i suppose 30 years of people wearing torn and worn down coveralls finally made them realize the technicians appear homeless. The union does absolutely nothing for us but love taking their dues. They've never been fully staffed in years untill the oil field went down the drain, that says a lot. Made more money as a 1st year apprentice than being here with 3 journeyman tickets. Leave your brain at the door and you'll be fine. In the end you do the formans job, the parts departments job and the mechanics job all for one low wage.  less
Pros
Paychecks don't bounce
Cons
Bad rotation schedule, disorganized, too many pay deductions, inexperienced management
Typical Day At Work
Pool Serviceman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2013
Start at 10 P.M. and Work Til 6 A.M. Learned how to clean using various products and tools to maintain the pool facility. Management had good policy to follow in all aspects of job. Although, I worked alone, help was available from team for training and support. Night work was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable was free swimming and workouts.
Pros
compressed work day off and many other benifits
Cons
difficult standards to follow and maintain.
A great place to work.
Planner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2015
The City of Edmonton is a great place to work. There are great people and the work/life balance is excellent. There's an excellent benefits package as well.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location