City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

- Flexibility
- Great work culture
- Respect
- Appreciation

It`s a very enjoyable work place. Co-workers are very respectful.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Difficult customers sometimes
good place
Parks Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2017
City of Edmonton is a good place to work with job security and work life balance
good equipment , health and safety is #1 in regards to worker safety, with continued training and education to further educate the workers
Pros
job security
Cons
management
fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
It is a place for growth, i've met some of my closest friends through the city of edmonton. The people who work there are kind,funny,caring and most of all respectufl,
Pros
free lunches
Cons
it can be to long
Needs improvement
Labourer/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2017
The facility i am in is in serious need of better quality leadership roles. There is no accountability for staff, where people can literaly come into the zoo do nothing for 8 hours and this is acceptable to management. The rules of the collective bargaining agreement are only followed when it suits the management team.
Ive grown to the point where I realize I am powerless to change the problem and the only thing I can do is change my involvement in the problem.
I do enjoy the atmosphere and my co workers are great I just want a change of scenery.
Pros
Work around the animals
Cons
Lack of leadership/accountability
perfect work place
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2017
During the summer job at the City of Edmonton, I was working directly under the professional mechanics. My supervisor taught me a lot about the equipment such as how to make repairs on the hydraulic systems and diesel engines. In the meantime, I was working with my supervisors and colleges closely to learn quickly and welcome the chance to work under other experienced mechanics that I know can help teach me the things that cannot be learned in a classroom. I have some understanding of what this entails and eager to learn more.
Good workplace
Waste Bin Coordinator Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
this place is a good work place that has lots and lots and lots of fun. and it is also really fun because they hire people with good skills and good personalities
Team support, good structure,
Transportation Planning Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2017
The City of Edmonton is a great place to work where it is very diverse and lots of opportunities for growth. They provide most positions to allow for a great work to life balance.

because of the size of the company, you can get that I'm just a number on a piece of paper feeling, but the supervisors for each department are very involved with their staff.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
voice doesn't get heard
Great Summer Job
Recreation Tech/ Green Shack Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
This is an awesome job. You spend the whole summer outside impacting and learning from the children who visit your green shack. Each child has something special to learn from them. You will be challenged daily to grow and be better. The supervisors are always ready to assist you in your need to make your summer programming successful. There is an awesome training program in place to aid each staff member.
secured job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2017
10 to 13 hours a day Tue to Fri.
Safety meeting every week.
Good for new drivers to learn commercial driver industry.
Good pay Good benefit
Physical work with drive.
If you work with partner, usually switch every hour drive and load.
If you do not like to drive all day, this is decent job.
Pros
unionized
Cons
politics
Fun, but varied hours and no advancement
NATURAL HISTORY INTERPRETER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 May 2017
The people I work with are awesome, however, the hours are extremely inconsistent (3 hours some weeks and 25-40 other weeks), there is no seniority (you get the same treatment and hours as someone who has been there a week or 5 years), no benefits or paid vacation.
to much politics
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2017
There was no good old days there. You were always on guard to keep out of site. People spent there time trying to advance there own carers. Was not a good place to work.
A very positive place to work
Recreation Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2017
It was a truly amazing time working with the city. Incredible people to work with within your division but there is a bit of animosity between sections (i.e. The lifeguards and the Rec Techs didn't get along). Overall a very positive experience.
Pros
Positive environment and free food
Cons
Full day shift
Great work-life balance with job security and great benefits
Project Engineer, at Transportation Planning (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2017
My position was challenging, I had a great team of interesting and like-minded colleagues.
I enjoyed the work-life balance, the benefit plan and the pension plan contributions.
The hardest part of the job was trying to take direction from multiple stakeholders, City Council, internal management as well as citizen concerns, developers etc. It was hard to balance many different opinions.
Managment=bullies
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
If your supervisor likes you personally, your career advancement options are endless. If not, you will be transferred endlessly around your departments and prevented from advancing, regardless of relevant skills and experiences.
Lots of opportunity
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2017
I've been all over in various city departments. Has the potential to be a great work place however politics come into play when looking to advance. It's all about who you know so network network network. Some coworkers from some departments were great. Felt like people only saw negative and really missed out on the positive and lots of really great valuable employee's are leaving due to management in various area's again because all the who you know stuff that comes to play
amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2017
the people that work there are amazing. the job can be stressful but its amazing a great place to work. the only hard part is no matter how long you have been their there is no set work times. it changes day to day even. not for everyone but i loved it.
City of Edmonton IT
Senior Business Analyst - IT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
CoE IT process are solid, everyone treats you as if you are a part of the big family.
Everyone is willing to help and provide the information that you need. Although there are politics this is not a prevalent as other government agencies.
it was a nice job
Edmonton Transit Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
i enjoyed my job but i have no kids at home and i would love to return back to highway driving i have always wanted to return back to the highway driving as it was always my wish.
na
Community services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
This was a volunteer job i did for three summers in a row it was pretty awesome gaining all of the experience that i was able to working with the children
Productive place to work
OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2017
Dealing with the public can good and bad depending on every bodies attitude. All in all its a pretty good place to work, the staff are easy to get along with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location