City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work, adequate training and decent wage.
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2017
I loved working with the Animals and the people in the city. However being a peace officer job and a temporary competition for a permiment position, there was little team work between the new recruits, and a large clique established. This made it difficult for the less extroverted, "popular" people to be hired.
Pros
Great wage, working with animals.
Cons
competitive environment, clique present.
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
The City of Edmonton offers many opportunities to learn new skills with the School of Business program. The typical work day is very busy multi-tasking a large variety of duties. Working with co-workers from the management team and the administration team makes some days very challenging and most days very rewarding.
Pros
Opportunities to learn new skills, benefits, pension
Great place to work.
Site & Building Maintenance / Edmonton Valley Zoo (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
Every day brought new challenges. Worked with an awesome crew and management. I learned so much about different types of building and site maintenance. Had a fantastic time engaging and talking with the people of Edmonton.
Pros
Easy going people to work with. New challenges every day.
Cons
Was only able to put in 8 hours per day. Longer hours would have been nice.
productive and a fun environment to work in
Labour 1 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
duties included turf grass trimming & pruning, with 3 other employer's to ensure proper maintenance of city and how to maintain them

i learned about all the equipment and the proper way to use them and being safe and how to maintain them

management was amazing

my co-workers were amazing

turf grass trimming and pruning

everything was enjoyable i loved it
Pros
great people and fun environment
Cons
there was none
Poor
Mechanical/Preventive Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Workers are unionized under some kind of controversial Union, collecting premiums from workers/members from every pay check, however there is no any indication that Union cares about workers paying premiums.
Most people are hired on temporary basis, no any pension or benefits, and this temporary employment may last 5 years before you qualify to apply for permanent job with benefits.
Hardly ever temporary workers have a chance to say what they think, they may end up behind the gate the same day if someone doesn't like what was said.
it was very knowledgable experience.
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
worked as a Census Worker 2016, it was my first census worker job in Canada. Helped me a lot to understand a lot of things. Helped to grow my professional experience and met with so many people, under 1 job.
Pros
helped to gain experience.
Cons
less pay & in end nobody ask, how to improve for next time
Enjoyable and Safety Sensitive
Laborer l (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2016
There is no typical day at the City of Edmonton. Each day we have the opportunity to try something new and continue to master the multiple duties a Laborer 1 has. If there is a co-worker unfamiliar to performing certain duties it is my understanding to show and demonstrate the correct and safe way in doing so. I'm adaptable and easy to approach. I keep a positive and happy attitude which shows in my work or puts a smile on your face.
Great atmosphere to work in
PARKING AGENCY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
The work atmosphere is amazing. Everyone gets along and the office dynamics are laid back yet professional. All upper management are eager to help you succeed and make the time to speak to you and understand that you are a person, not a number.
Very enjoyable work environment
Recreation Technician 1/ Junior Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2016
Working with the kids at the park green shacks made everyday new and interesting. Listening to all the stories they had to tell was very enjoyable. I got to meet and get to know new children everyday.
When I would teach a child something new or give them helpful advice on a problem, seeing the smiles on their faces afterwards was the most rewarding part of the job.
The staff and management team were always happy and willing to exchange tips and advice to any issues or concerns that happened on site. We all worked very well together, and nobody felt excluding in any aspect of the job.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
Only a summer job
Great place to work , cons ; ets inspectors think they're cops.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Great benefits, decent pay and awesome job securty. The ETS inspectors and the passengers drove me away from this job.
I worked here for 5 years
Pros
Split shifts, great con workers
Cons
Busy work place always, always enjoy.
Senior Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  AB3 October 2016
Very busy typical work day, Learned team work, Managed 16 employees and trained them. I have very nice co-workers, The hardest part of the job is very little time and too many things to do.
Pros
Accurate and best search engine
Not a good place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2016
I worked there for one summer. All it was,was problem after problem. Management thinks there all that and more same with some of the techs and things that get brought up by the workers hardly get looked at again because they dont think we know what we are talking about. I was one of the first to be laid off becasue i had a grievance in and was not rehire do to having family work there. I have not been able to get rehire in any area of the city due to this which is bias in a way.
The people you actually work out in the field with are good though.
Pros
co workers
Cons
no life, management isnt good
unorganized
Relief laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2016
We do the daily tasks usually in partners or in groups. Its not typically too busy and the work atmosphere is good. The hardest part is that its physically demanding sometimes.
Pros
3 days off a week
Cons
not structured
Very supportive staff productive and fun they are professional
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2016
They are very supportive
lots of learning
I like the attitude towards work
I like the schedule
the benefits are good
all my co workers are professional
Pros
good salary
Cons
no free parking
Good Experience
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2016
Good Experience, people are nice and welcoming. unfortunately without seniority there is not much room for advancement so must build up seniority as jobs go to internal candidates first
Excellent place to work
IT Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 December 2016
great place for a career with job security and affinity for proven workable solutions that will improve customer services and make a better staff personnel.
Pros
work life balance
Great overall experience
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta1 September 2016
I excelled in my first aid training and became more confident in dealing with public disputes, recognizing hazards and managing my time.
Pros
Great environment, provided with many first aid courses
Cons
Higher levels of stress, long hours
Good Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  City of Edmonton, AB20 June 2016
Salary is low to private sector... Next to no negotiation on hiring.

Workload is good, management is very good. Everyone here is here to better the City and are very helpful. Safety is very important.

As you can imagine there is lots of red tape and approvals for everything.

Benefits are pretty standard...
Pros
Helpful people, friendly and accomidating
Cons
Red tape, slow approvals, low salary, very few additional perks
Great group of dedicated and inteligent employees
Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
City of Edmonton is a fast paced goal oriented environment. I learned how to work within a team environment. Co-works are very considerate and helpful
Excellent place to earn a living.
Labourer II (Turf Maintenance) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
Wonderful place to work. I was treated with respect, and given the opportunity to increase my skills and knowledge while at work.
Pros
Excellent benefits / pension plan

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location