Pros: opportunities to advance
Cons: constant reorganizations, no continuity.
There were no typical days in my position, every day was different, unpredictable. What starts as a quiet day can easily erupt into a flurry of public complaints, inquiries from the Mayor or City Councillors. Working with 30+ union staff was also a challenge especially when things go sideways. Interesting work but stressful at times.
My duties as the Vegetation Management Supervisor and Integrated Pest Management Coordinator included the following:
• Provided leadership in developing, implementing and managing annual work plans including recruiting required seasonal staff to implement annual work plans and capital projects
• Built effective teams by providing coaching and counselling, organized staff orientation, safety training, attendance management, performance reviews and educational development.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my accomplishments,
• Led the Parks Vegetation Management Team in the continuous reduction of pesticide use from 1999 to 2012 leading to the Charles Labatiuk Award for Environmental Excellence
• Instrumental in the development and implementation of the City’s Good Growing Neighbours public education pesticide reduction program
• Forged partnerships with the County of Strathcona, City of St. Albert and City of Leduc in joining and contributing to the Good Growing Neighbours program
• Represented the Vegetation Management section and the Good Growing Neighbours public education campaign as media spokesperson conducting television, radio and print media interviews
• Worked with the Edmonton Naturalization Group (ENG), various Non Government – more... Organizations, city departments, government agencies and the public at large in developing vegetation management plans for natural areas
• Participated in numerous Pesticide Ban committees and public consultation forums
• Established rapport with the ENG and other NGOs in the preservation of natural areas
• Conducted numerous presentations promoting Integrated Pest Management program and Good Growing Neighbours public education campaign at various conferences
• Provided leadership in developing, implementing and coordinating annual work plans including recruiting required seasonal staff to implement annual work plans and capitol projects
• Demonstrated effective management of Integrated Pest Management and Vegetation Control budgets
• Successfully responded to all public & Councillor inquiries
• Instrumental in the development of the City’s Integrated Pest Management Policy C501 and Parks Enviso (ISO 14001). – less