City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Great place to work , cons ; ets inspectors think they're cops.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Great benefits, decent pay and awesome job securty. The ETS inspectors and the passengers drove me away from this job.
I worked here for 5 years
Pros
Split shifts, great con workers
Cons
easy job with lots of different people to interact with
Recycling depot attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
A variety of different work tasks was available which helped mix up the weeks. Great place to work for a university student.
Data Collection Technical Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
-Allows you to keep learning
-Learned patience and to work with difficult people and situations
-Early and late hours allowed for determination to excel
Great group of dedicated and inteligent employees
Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
City of Edmonton is a fast paced goal oriented environment. I learned how to work within a team environment. Co-works are very considerate and helpful
Great atmosphere to work in
PARKING AGENCY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
The work atmosphere is amazing. Everyone gets along and the office dynamics are laid back yet professional. All upper management are eager to help you succeed and make the time to speak to you and understand that you are a person, not a number.
it was very knowledgable experience.
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
worked as a Census Worker 2016, it was my first census worker job in Canada. Helped me a lot to understand a lot of things. Helped to grow my professional experience and met with so many people, under 1 job.
Pros
helped to gain experience.
Cons
less pay & in end nobody ask, how to improve for next time
productive and a fun environment to work in
Labour 1 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
duties included turf grass trimming & pruning, with 3 other employer's to ensure proper maintenance of city and how to maintain them

i learned about all the equipment and the proper way to use them and being safe and how to maintain them

management was amazing

my co-workers were amazing

turf grass trimming and pruning

everything was enjoyable i loved it
Pros
great people and fun environment
Cons
there was none
Excellent place to earn a living.
Labourer II (Turf Maintenance) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
Wonderful place to work. I was treated with respect, and given the opportunity to increase my skills and knowledge while at work.
Pros
Excellent benefits / pension plan
Cons
Very supportive staff productive and fun they are professional
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2016
They are very supportive
lots of learning
I like the attitude towards work
I like the schedule
the benefits are good
all my co workers are professional
Pros
good salary
Cons
no free parking
Poor
Mechanical/Preventive Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Workers are unionized under some kind of controversial Union, collecting premiums from workers/members from every pay check, however there is no any indication that Union cares about workers paying premiums.
Most people are hired on temporary basis, no any pension or benefits, and this temporary employment may last 5 years before you qualify to apply for permanent job with benefits.
Hardly ever temporary workers have a chance to say what they think, they may end up behind the gate the same day if someone doesn't like what was said.
Busy work place always, always enjoy.
Senior Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  AB3 October 2016
Very busy typical work day, Learned team work, Managed 16 employees and trained them. I have very nice co-workers, The hardest part of the job is very little time and too many things to do.
Pros
Accurate and best search engine
Great overall experience
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta1 September 2016
I excelled in my first aid training and became more confident in dealing with public disputes, recognizing hazards and managing my time.
Pros
Great environment, provided with many first aid courses
Cons
Higher levels of stress, long hours
Enjoyable and Safety Sensitive
Laborer l (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2016
There is no typical day at the City of Edmonton. Each day we have the opportunity to try something new and continue to master the multiple duties a Laborer 1 has. If there is a co-worker unfamiliar to performing certain duties it is my understanding to show and demonstrate the correct and safe way in doing so. I'm adaptable and easy to approach. I keep a positive and happy attitude which shows in my work or puts a smile on your face.
Great teenage summer job opportunities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2016
The Leaders in Training program is a great way to develop the social skills required by many employers. It helps you communicate effectively with all age groups.
Pros
great people, good hours
Cons
own transport required
Two thumbs down.
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/A13 August 2016
They hire their kids and friends. Most qualified applicants aren't given interviews. I am an engineer and couldn't get a call back for engineering, maintenance or basic labour jobs.
Pros
None.
Cons
Too many to name
Very enjoyable work environment
Recreation Technician 1/ Junior Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2016
Working with the kids at the park green shacks made everyday new and interesting. Listening to all the stories they had to tell was very enjoyable. I got to meet and get to know new children everyday.
When I would teach a child something new or give them helpful advice on a problem, seeing the smiles on their faces afterwards was the most rewarding part of the job.
The staff and management team were always happy and willing to exchange tips and advice to any issues or concerns that happened on site. We all worked very well together, and nobody felt excluding in any aspect of the job.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
Only a summer job
Great staff-management needs a lot of work
DATS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2016
I worked for DATS for about 6 months. The job itself was great. Hard work, challenging, rewarding. Received several client commendations on my work. There was a lot of bullying, harassment and racism at the scheduling/operations level however. Supervisory staff were incompetent and arrogant. Management blindly followed supervisory staffs lead. I was assaulted by a client on video and called the police after defending myself. I was completely cleared of ANY wrongdoing by the Edmonton Police Service. However, I was told by Senior management (before police or DATS had completed their investigation) that it would have never happened if I had acted appropriately (victim blaming) and my probationary period was extended. Senior management also encouraged me to look at other employment options within the City of Edmonton at this time. This resulted in complete loss of trust and faith in the management and a downward spiral in my work and all aspects of my life. Supervisors who now had decided to micromanage my work (because I refused to meet with them without union representation after earlier harassment) made my job much more difficult. Eventually my stress and the pressure I was under to perform caused me to make poor decisions such as getting a photo radar ticket in an empty bus late at night in my now extended probationary period. I was let go. If I wasn't in extended probation I would have gotten a one day suspension and had to pay the fine. As many DATS operators have had to do. Everyone makes mistakes. My mistake was thinking that the Union I was a part of could do anything  more... for me other than take my money during my probationary period and following their bad advice. Learn from my mistakes folks!  less
Opposite Land
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2016
Where to begin. The shop is a mess, you spend a lot of time looking for shop tools and equipment. No time is provided to clean up the shop so you constantly work in other peoples messes. The parts department is useless and you frequently get wrong parts even when providing the old parts as samples. Don't bother asking foremans for technical assistance because they have no experience and they're not even heavy duty techs. Knowledge and hard work gets you no where. You must know people in managment to move up. The less experience you have and the less you know about your job the better the chance of being promoted. All of the paperwork gets completed by the technicians so not sure what the foremans do. They frequently use works like "efficiency" and "productivity" yet nobody seems to know what it means. The rotation schedule is insane giving you 8 nights in a row with no overtime in the winter. There's little to no overtime unless you manage to work on stats. I think of it as opposite land since all the wrong people get promoted, and nobody cares about anything and 6 months technical experience is good enough to be foreman because your buddy is in a higher position. Don't bother applying for the internal job postings because they already know who they want and create a posting to avoid suspicions. You pay for the benifits and they're useless and expensive. There are way too many deductions on pay checks, benefits, union dues, pension and charitable donations that nobody knows what it's for but it's mandatory. Once you take the pension your benefits get cut off. You have to pay  more... for your parking stalls. Coveralls were recently provided, i suppose 30 years of people wearing torn and worn down coveralls finally made them realize the technicians appear homeless. The union does absolutely nothing for us but love taking their dues. They've never been fully staffed in years untill the oil field went down the drain, that says a lot. Made more money as a 1st year apprentice than being here with 3 journeyman tickets. Leave your brain at the door and you'll be fine. In the end you do the formans job, the parts departments job and the mechanics job all for one low wage.  less
Pros
Paychecks don't bounce
Cons
Bad rotation schedule, disorganized, too many pay deductions, inexperienced management
Excellent
Fire Cadet (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2016
I learned life skills and life lessons that will benefit me in the fute. Being still in high school it allowed me to see how the career of a fire fighter really is and if I want to persue it.
Not a good place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2016
I worked there for one summer. All it was,was problem after problem. Management thinks there all that and more same with some of the techs and things that get brought up by the workers hardly get looked at again because they dont think we know what we are talking about. I was one of the first to be laid off becasue i had a grievance in and was not rehire do to having family work there. I have not been able to get rehire in any area of the city due to this which is bias in a way.
The people you actually work out in the field with are good though.
Pros
co workers
Cons
no life, management isnt good

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location