City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

productive and a fun environment to work in
Labour 1 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
duties included turf grass trimming & pruning, with 3 other employer's to ensure proper maintenance of city and how to maintain them

i learned about all the equipment and the proper way to use them and being safe and how to maintain them

management was amazing

my co-workers were amazing

turf grass trimming and pruning

everything was enjoyable i loved it
Pros
great people and fun environment
Cons
there was none
Poor
Mechanical/Preventive Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Workers are unionized under some kind of controversial Union, collecting premiums from workers/members from every pay check, however there is no any indication that Union cares about workers paying premiums.
Most people are hired on temporary basis, no any pension or benefits, and this temporary employment may last 5 years before you qualify to apply for permanent job with benefits.
Hardly ever temporary workers have a chance to say what they think, they may end up behind the gate the same day if someone doesn't like what was said.
Enjoyable and Safety Sensitive
Laborer l (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2016
There is no typical day at the City of Edmonton. Each day we have the opportunity to try something new and continue to master the multiple duties a Laborer 1 has. If there is a co-worker unfamiliar to performing certain duties it is my understanding to show and demonstrate the correct and safe way in doing so. I'm adaptable and easy to approach. I keep a positive and happy attitude which shows in my work or puts a smile on your face.
Very enjoyable work environment
Recreation Technician 1/ Junior Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 July 2016
Working with the kids at the park green shacks made everyday new and interesting. Listening to all the stories they had to tell was very enjoyable. I got to meet and get to know new children everyday.
When I would teach a child something new or give them helpful advice on a problem, seeing the smiles on their faces afterwards was the most rewarding part of the job.
The staff and management team were always happy and willing to exchange tips and advice to any issues or concerns that happened on site. We all worked very well together, and nobody felt excluding in any aspect of the job.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
Only a summer job
it was very knowledgable experience.
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
worked as a Census Worker 2016, it was my first census worker job in Canada. Helped me a lot to understand a lot of things. Helped to grow my professional experience and met with so many people, under 1 job.
Pros
helped to gain experience.
Cons
less pay & in end nobody ask, how to improve for next time
Not a good place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2016
I worked there for one summer. All it was,was problem after problem. Management thinks there all that and more same with some of the techs and things that get brought up by the workers hardly get looked at again because they dont think we know what we are talking about. I was one of the first to be laid off becasue i had a grievance in and was not rehire do to having family work there. I have not been able to get rehire in any area of the city due to this which is bias in a way.
The people you actually work out in the field with are good though.
Pros
co workers
Cons
no life, management isnt good
Great atmosphere to work in
PARKING AGENCY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
The work atmosphere is amazing. Everyone gets along and the office dynamics are laid back yet professional. All upper management are eager to help you succeed and make the time to speak to you and understand that you are a person, not a number.
Good Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  City of Edmonton, AB20 June 2016
Salary is low to private sector... Next to no negotiation on hiring.

Workload is good, management is very good. Everyone here is here to better the City and are very helpful. Safety is very important.

As you can imagine there is lots of red tape and approvals for everything.

Benefits are pretty standard...
Pros
Helpful people, friendly and accomidating
Cons
Red tape, slow approvals, low salary, very few additional perks
Busy work place always, always enjoy.
Senior Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  AB3 October 2016
Very busy typical work day, Learned team work, Managed 16 employees and trained them. I have very nice co-workers, The hardest part of the job is very little time and too many things to do.
Pros
Accurate and best search engine
Cons
Keep the day productive, and enjoy it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  City of Edmonton, AB15 June 2016
Always making the day a productive day, but also interact with customer or clients to make a better atmosphere, hard work pays off. interact with co workers to socialize more and to interact to improve. there not hard part in any job, as long you put your mind to it. and most enjoyable part of any job is just doing what your suppose to do and work as hard as you can
Great overall experience
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta1 September 2016
I excelled in my first aid training and became more confident in dealing with public disputes, recognizing hazards and managing my time.
Pros
Great environment, provided with many first aid courses
Cons
Higher levels of stress, long hours
Great place to work , cons ; ets inspectors think they're cops.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Great benefits, decent pay and awesome job securty. The ETS inspectors and the passengers drove me away from this job.
I worked here for 5 years
Pros
Split shifts, great con workers
Cons
Very supportive staff productive and fun they are professional
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2016
They are very supportive
lots of learning
I like the attitude towards work
I like the schedule
the benefits are good
all my co workers are professional
Pros
good salary
Cons
no free parking
Great teenage summer job opportunities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2016
The Leaders in Training program is a great way to develop the social skills required by many employers. It helps you communicate effectively with all age groups.
Pros
great people, good hours
Cons
own transport required
Great vision, deep support and diversified people
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2016
Great opportunity for someone young starting out in their career. Not a lot of opportunities to advance depending on what area you are working in.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Too much corporate involvement, always changing things because they feel it would be better but most
Productive, Friendly, Supportive and as a team its wonderful workplace to work for and at.
Junior System Analayst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2016
Everyone at the City of Edmonton is very friendly and very supportive. They value your talent and help you to build more for your future employer. Everyone here works as a team and anyone who has some trouble or issue with something can easily go to the Manager or Architects for help and they do it on the spot without even thinking of anything else. For me this is the wonderful place to work at and for. Knowledge is the key in the City of Edmonton as everyone here has an experience of over 15 years or over which is a very good thing for any intern as we can learn a lot from this experience.
Friendly atmosphere and nice work conditions
Heavy duty mechanic apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2016
I enjoyed working at The City of Edmonton for three main reasons. One is that everyone is extremely friendly and helpful towards each other and everyone take safety seriously. Second is the nice working condition in the shops. Third is the great work schedule.
Excellent place to earn a living.
Labourer II (Turf Maintenance) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
Wonderful place to work. I was treated with respect, and given the opportunity to increase my skills and knowledge while at work.
Pros
Excellent benefits / pension plan
Cons
Great group of dedicated and inteligent employees
Planning Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2016
City of Edmonton is a fast paced goal oriented environment. I learned how to work within a team environment. Co-works are very considerate and helpful
easy job with lots of different people to interact with
Recycling depot attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
A variety of different work tasks was available which helped mix up the weeks. Great place to work for a university student.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location