City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Lots of opportunity
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2017
I've been all over in various city departments. Has the potential to be a great work place however politics come into play when looking to advance. It's all about who you know so network network network. Some coworkers from some departments were great. Felt like people only saw negative and really missed out on the positive and lots of really great valuable employee's are leaving due to management in various area's again because all the who you know stuff that comes to play
Enjoyable place to work, adequate training and decent wage.
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2017
I loved working with the Animals and the people in the city. However being a peace officer job and a temporary competition for a permiment position, there was little team work between the new recruits, and a large clique established. This made it difficult for the less extroverted, "popular" people to be hired.
Pros
Great wage, working with animals.
Cons
competitive environment, clique present.
Great place to work.
Site & Building Maintenance / Edmonton Valley Zoo (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
Every day brought new challenges. Worked with an awesome crew and management. I learned so much about different types of building and site maintenance. Had a fantastic time engaging and talking with the people of Edmonton.
Pros
Easy going people to work with. New challenges every day.
Cons
Was only able to put in 8 hours per day. Longer hours would have been nice.
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 December 2016
The City of Edmonton offers many opportunities to learn new skills with the School of Business program. The typical work day is very busy multi-tasking a large variety of duties. Working with co-workers from the management team and the administration team makes some days very challenging and most days very rewarding.
Pros
Opportunities to learn new skills, benefits, pension
Cons
Good place to work as long as you are willing to put in the effort. Praise for a job well done, strong team environment.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2017
I have enjoyed my time at ACSA, I gained so much knowledge of the construction industry and how important their job is in the community. The association has a strong safety oriented environment.
Pros
Great hours, benefits, positive environment
Focus on service to citizens and internal customers!
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2017
Strong commitment to work life balance with services to citizens and customers as the priority.
Provide great training and personal advancement.
Lots of programs and community involvement opportunities
Pros
Committed to quality service delivery and work life balance
Cons
N?A
productive and a fun environment to work in
Labour 1 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2016
duties included turf grass trimming & pruning, with 3 other employer's to ensure proper maintenance of city and how to maintain them

i learned about all the equipment and the proper way to use them and being safe and how to maintain them

management was amazing

my co-workers were amazing

turf grass trimming and pruning

everything was enjoyable i loved it
Pros
great people and fun environment
Cons
there was none
Well organized and friendly work space
Citizen Services Department, Edmonton, AB (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2017
Working with the public through the City of Edmonton has been truly rewarding. I enjoy my shifts which require me to interact with participants in the city events. My work is rather simple and the communication is superb between employees.
Best place to work
Engineering Technologist Level I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2017
Great pay, good management, and great work/life balance. I've been there as a temp, but people treat you nicely and there's a sense of team when solving problems, good place to work for
Pros
Great management, work life balance
Cons
things might be slow sometimes
Poor
Mechanical/Preventive Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
Workers are unionized under some kind of controversial Union, collecting premiums from workers/members from every pay check, however there is no any indication that Union cares about workers paying premiums.
Most people are hired on temporary basis, no any pension or benefits, and this temporary employment may last 5 years before you qualify to apply for permanent job with benefits.
Hardly ever temporary workers have a chance to say what they think, they may end up behind the gate the same day if someone doesn't like what was said.
Productive and pretty good place to work
Fitness Trainer/Monitor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2017
Good atmosphere , people are nice and welcoming. My only concern is not having much job security, no benefits, very minimum chance of advancing.
Pros
Free membership to City Recreation Facilities
Cons
No job security, no benefits & few hours
City of Edmonton IT
Senior Business Analyst - IT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
CoE IT process are solid, everyone treats you as if you are a part of the big family.
Everyone is willing to help and provide the information that you need. Although there are politics this is not a prevalent as other government agencies.
it was very knowledgable experience.
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
worked as a Census Worker 2016, it was my first census worker job in Canada. Helped me a lot to understand a lot of things. Helped to grow my professional experience and met with so many people, under 1 job.
Pros
helped to gain experience.
Cons
less pay & in end nobody ask, how to improve for next time
amazing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2017
the people that work there are amazing. the job can be stressful but its amazing a great place to work. the only hard part is no matter how long you have been their there is no set work times. it changes day to day even. not for everyone but i loved it.
Great atmosphere to work in
PARKING AGENCY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
The work atmosphere is amazing. Everyone gets along and the office dynamics are laid back yet professional. All upper management are eager to help you succeed and make the time to speak to you and understand that you are a person, not a number.
Enjoyable
Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2017
The city is a good place to start out with a job while in school, the hours are usually manageable and the pay suffices. Fun and the other employees usually are good to work with unless they are too young.
Enjoyable and Safety Sensitive
Laborer l (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2016
There is no typical day at the City of Edmonton. Each day we have the opportunity to try something new and continue to master the multiple duties a Laborer 1 has. If there is a co-worker unfamiliar to performing certain duties it is my understanding to show and demonstrate the correct and safe way in doing so. I'm adaptable and easy to approach. I keep a positive and happy attitude which shows in my work or puts a smile on your face.
Great place to work , cons ; ets inspectors think they're cops.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2016
Great benefits, decent pay and awesome job securty. The ETS inspectors and the passengers drove me away from this job.
I worked here for 5 years
Pros
Split shifts, great con workers
it was a nice job
Edmonton Transit Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
i enjoyed my job but i have no kids at home and i would love to return back to highway driving i have always wanted to return back to the highway driving as it was always my wish.
unorganized
Relief laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2016
We do the daily tasks usually in partners or in groups. Its not typically too busy and the work atmosphere is good. The hardest part is that its physically demanding sometimes.
Pros
3 days off a week
Cons
not structured

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location