City of Edmonton Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyable and Safety Sensitive
Laborer l (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2016
There is no typical day at the City of Edmonton. Each day we have the opportunity to try something new and continue to master the multiple duties a Laborer 1 has. If there is a co-worker unfamiliar to performing certain duties it is my understanding to show and demonstrate the correct and safe way in doing so. I'm adaptable and easy to approach. I keep a positive and happy attitude which shows in my work or puts a smile on your face.
Great teenage summer job opportunities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 25, 2016
The Leaders in Training program is a great way to develop the social skills required by many employers. It helps you communicate effectively with all age groups.
Pros
great people, good hours
Cons
own transport required
Two thumbs down.
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/AAugust 13, 2016
They hire their kids and friends. Most qualified applicants aren't given interviews. I am an engineer and couldn't get a call back for engineering, maintenance or basic labour jobs.
Pros
None.
Cons
Too many to name
Very enjoyable work environment
Recreation Technician 1/ Junior Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2016
Working with the kids at the park green shacks made everyday new and interesting. Listening to all the stories they had to tell was very enjoyable. I got to meet and get to know new children everyday.
When I would teach a child something new or give them helpful advice on a problem, seeing the smiles on their faces afterwards was the most rewarding part of the job.
The staff and management team were always happy and willing to exchange tips and advice to any issues or concerns that happened on site. We all worked very well together, and nobody felt excluding in any aspect of the job.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
Only a summer job
Great staff-management needs a lot of work
DATS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 19, 2016
I worked for DATS for about 6 months. The job itself was great. Hard work, challenging, rewarding. Received several client commendations on my work. There was a lot of bullying, harassment and racism at the scheduling/operations level however. Supervisory staff were incompetent and arrogant. Management blindly followed supervisory staffs lead. I was assaulted by a client on video and called the police after defending myself. I was completely cleared of ANY wrongdoing by the Edmonton Police Service. However, I was told by Senior management (before police or DATS had completed their investigation) that it would have never happened if I had acted appropriately (victim blaming) and my probationary period was extended. Senior management also encouraged me to look at other employment options within the City of Edmonton at this time. This resulted in complete loss of trust and faith in the management and a downward spiral in my work and all aspects of my life. Supervisors who now had decided to micromanage my work (because I refused to meet with them without union representation after earlier harassment) made my job much more difficult. Eventually my stress and the pressure I was under to perform caused me to make poor decisions such as getting a photo radar ticket in an empty bus late at night in my now extended probationary period. I was let go. If I wasn't in extended probation I would have gotten a one day suspension and had to pay the fine. As many DATS operators have had to do. Everyone makes mistakes. My mistake was thinking that the Union I was a part of could do anything  more... for me other than take my money during my probationary period and following their bad advice. Learn from my mistakes folks!  less
Opposite Land
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 18, 2016
Where to begin. The shop is a mess, you spend a lot of time looking for shop tools and equipment. No time is provided to clean up the shop so you constantly work in other peoples messes. The parts department is useless and you frequently get wrong parts even when providing the old parts as samples. Don't bother asking foremans for technical assistance because they have no experience and they're not even heavy duty techs. Knowledge and hard work gets you no where. You must know people in managment to move up. The less experience you have and the less you know about your job the better the chance of being promoted. All of the paperwork gets completed by the technicians so not sure what the foremans do. They frequently use works like "efficiency" and "productivity" yet nobody seems to know what it means. The rotation schedule is insane giving you 8 nights in a row with no overtime in the winter. There's little to no overtime unless you manage to work on stats. I think of it as opposite land since all the wrong people get promoted, and nobody cares about anything and 6 months technical experience is good enough to be foreman because your buddy is in a higher position. Don't bother applying for the internal job postings because they already know who they want and create a posting to avoid suspicions. You pay for the benifits and they're useless and expensive. There are way too many deductions on pay checks, benefits, union dues, pension and charitable donations that nobody knows what it's for but it's mandatory. Once you take the pension your benefits get cut off. You have to pay  more... for your parking stalls. Coveralls were recently provided, i suppose 30 years of people wearing torn and worn down coveralls finally made them realize the technicians appear homeless. The union does absolutely nothing for us but love taking their dues. They've never been fully staffed in years untill the oil field went down the drain, that says a lot. Made more money as a 1st year apprentice than being here with 3 journeyman tickets. Leave your brain at the door and you'll be fine. In the end you do the formans job, the parts departments job and the mechanics job all for one low wage.  less
Pros
Paychecks don't bounce
Cons
Bad rotation schedule, disorganized, too many pay deductions, inexperienced management
Excellent
Fire Cadet (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I learned life skills and life lessons that will benefit me in the fute. Being still in high school it allowed me to see how the career of a fire fighter really is and if I want to persue it.
Not a good place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I worked there for one summer. All it was,was problem after problem. Management thinks there all that and more same with some of the techs and things that get brought up by the workers hardly get looked at again because they dont think we know what we are talking about. I was one of the first to be laid off becasue i had a grievance in and was not rehire do to having family work there. I have not been able to get rehire in any area of the city due to this which is bias in a way.
The people you actually work out in the field with are good though.
Pros
co workers
Cons
no life, management isnt good
Good Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  City of Edmonton, ABJune 20, 2016
Salary is low to private sector... Next to no negotiation on hiring.

Workload is good, management is very good. Everyone here is here to better the City and are very helpful. Safety is very important.

As you can imagine there is lots of red tape and approvals for everything.

Benefits are pretty standard...
Pros
Helpful people, friendly and accomidating
Cons
Red tape, slow approvals, low salary, very few additional perks
Great vision, deep support and diversified people
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2016
Great opportunity for someone young starting out in their career. Not a lot of opportunities to advance depending on what area you are working in.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Too much corporate involvement, always changing things because they feel it would be better but most
Friendly atmosphere and nice work conditions
Heavy duty mechanic apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2016
I enjoyed working at The City of Edmonton for three main reasons. One is that everyone is extremely friendly and helpful towards each other and everyone take safety seriously. Second is the nice working condition in the shops. Third is the great work schedule.
Fun and easy to do after hours
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2016
I was on my own. I made daily contact with my supervisor to report daily progress. It helped me to talk to people to help gain the information I needed.
Pros
At my own pace
Cons
Only temporary until end of census
Keep the day productive, and enjoy it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  City of Edmonton, ABJune 15, 2016
Always making the day a productive day, but also interact with customer or clients to make a better atmosphere, hard work pays off. interact with co workers to socialize more and to interact to improve. there not hard part in any job, as long you put your mind to it. and most enjoyable part of any job is just doing what your suppose to do and work as hard as you can
great
Accounting Support Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2016
Learned so much on the job and was welcomed at the job. There was lots to learn and everyone was well respected. It was a fun place to work
great people and you will learn from the job.
Project Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 22, 2016
nice job to start with, lots of friendly and helpful workers. Some contractors are rude and uncooperative. Lack of professional guidance and poor working cnditions. Exposed in all kinds of weather.
Pros
great supervisors
Cons
no room for improvement
Amazing job, Great People!
Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2016
I worked with brilliant people at the City of Edmonton. Leadership and management are great. Also, there is great work culture. I was lucky enough to have some freedom to pursue issues that I thought were important.
Pros
flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
political gridlock to good ideas
Productive, Friendly, Supportive and as a team its wonderful workplace to work for and at.
Junior System Analayst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2016
Everyone at the City of Edmonton is very friendly and very supportive. They value your talent and help you to build more for your future employer. Everyone here works as a team and anyone who has some trouble or issue with something can easily go to the Manager or Architects for help and they do it on the spot without even thinking of anything else. For me this is the wonderful place to work at and for. Knowledge is the key in the City of Edmonton as everyone here has an experience of over 15 years or over which is a very good thing for any intern as we can learn a lot from this experience.
Google Sites project
Senior Lead Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
This project affected all areas of the City of Edmonton. The project was very challenging. All areas of the City were excited to upgrage their web portal.
Pros
People, Process
Cons
n/a
easy job but not much to it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 18, 2016
job was easy and i didnt learn anything i didnt already know. was basic labor tasks. most co-workers were great but some were annoying. management was the reason i left.
outstanding
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2016
nice to be able to provide a service to help people who do not drive, to get to and from work and wherever else they need to go

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location