City of Edmonton Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent
Fire Cadet (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I learned life skills and life lessons that will benefit me in the fute. Being still in high school it allowed me to see how the career of a fire fighter really is and if I want to persue it.
Not a good place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I worked there for one summer. All it was,was problem after problem. Management thinks there all that and more same with some of the techs and things that get brought up by the workers hardly get looked at again because they dont think we know what we are talking about. I was one of the first to be laid off becasue i had a grievance in and was not rehire do to having family work there. I have not been able to get rehire in any area of the city due to this which is bias in a way.
The people you actually work out in the field with are good though.
Pros
co workers
Cons
no life, management isnt good
Good Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  City of Edmonton, ABJune 20, 2016
Salary is low to private sector... Next to no negotiation on hiring.

Workload is good, management is very good. Everyone here is here to better the City and are very helpful. Safety is very important.

As you can imagine there is lots of red tape and approvals for everything.

Benefits are pretty standard...
Pros
Helpful people, friendly and accomidating
Cons
Red tape, slow approvals, low salary, very few additional perks
Great vision, deep support and diversified people
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2016
Great opportunity for someone young starting out in their career. Not a lot of opportunities to advance depending on what area you are working in.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Too much corporate involvement, always changing things because they feel it would be better but most
Friendly atmosphere and nice work conditions
Heavy duty mechanic apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2016
I enjoyed working at The City of Edmonton for three main reasons. One is that everyone is extremely friendly and helpful towards each other and everyone take safety seriously. Second is the nice working condition in the shops. Third is the great work schedule.
Fun and easy to do after hours
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2016
I was on my own. I made daily contact with my supervisor to report daily progress. It helped me to talk to people to help gain the information I needed.
Pros
At my own pace
Cons
Only temporary until end of census
Keep the day productive, and enjoy it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  City of Edmonton, ABJune 15, 2016
Always making the day a productive day, but also interact with customer or clients to make a better atmosphere, hard work pays off. interact with co workers to socialize more and to interact to improve. there not hard part in any job, as long you put your mind to it. and most enjoyable part of any job is just doing what your suppose to do and work as hard as you can
great
Accounting Support Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 11, 2016
Learned so much on the job and was welcomed at the job. There was lots to learn and everyone was well respected. It was a fun place to work
great people and you will learn from the job.
Project Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 22, 2016
nice job to start with, lots of friendly and helpful workers. Some contractors are rude and uncooperative. Lack of professional guidance and poor working cnditions. Exposed in all kinds of weather.
Pros
great supervisors
Cons
no room for improvement
Amazing job, Great People!
Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2016
I worked with brilliant people at the City of Edmonton. Leadership and management are great. Also, there is great work culture. I was lucky enough to have some freedom to pursue issues that I thought were important.
Pros
flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
political gridlock to good ideas
Productive, Friendly, Supportive and as a team its wonderful workplace to work for and at.
Junior System Analayst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2016
Everyone at the City of Edmonton is very friendly and very supportive. They value your talent and help you to build more for your future employer. Everyone here works as a team and anyone who has some trouble or issue with something can easily go to the Manager or Architects for help and they do it on the spot without even thinking of anything else. For me this is the wonderful place to work at and for. Knowledge is the key in the City of Edmonton as everyone here has an experience of over 15 years or over which is a very good thing for any intern as we can learn a lot from this experience.
Google Sites project
Senior Lead Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
This project affected all areas of the City of Edmonton. The project was very challenging. All areas of the City were excited to upgrage their web portal.
Pros
People, Process
Cons
n/a
easy job but not much to it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 18, 2016
job was easy and i didnt learn anything i didnt already know. was basic labor tasks. most co-workers were great but some were annoying. management was the reason i left.
outstanding
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2016
nice to be able to provide a service to help people who do not drive, to get to and from work and wherever else they need to go
Great place to work!
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2016
Offers big career opportunities and stable and secure work. You work with mature and professional people. You will always look forward to coming to work everyday!
My review is a typical day at work
Summer Labourer 1 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 25, 2016
Meeting in the morning to discuss various conditions of parks, or safety talks.Going to next location, then assess what is needed.I always enjoy the social gathering like Bar-B-Q for a job well done.
Pros
social gathering once a year during the summer
Cons
Weather conditions
Would be better if year round
Parks Servicing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
A great place to work. Attention to training and safety is top notch. All employees seem to take great pride in maintaining the beauty of the facilities they have been assigned to.
Pros
Public Appreciation
Cons
Short Season
City of Edmonton
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
I have been teaching yoga with the City of Edmonton since 2007. I am happy teaching with the City. The Program Coordinators are very accommodating and share information as they receive it.
Family Gatherings
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2016
It was nice to enter a work force, full of such accepting people. The 'family' that has been created there was amazingly helpful and fun. There was never a time where someone was not willing to assist with either answering a question, or lending a helping hand. It was a great place to learn new and helpful tips for an everyday life.
Google Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2016
Easy going pace of work and in the heart of the city. Great IT Team, top management thinks about everyone.
Typical day is 9-5 M-F with bi-weekly EDO - day offs
learned a lot
Management is great
co-workers can be tough to deal with some times but very few places are immune to that
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
group politics