City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work with
Recreational Facility Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2017
Flexible hours, supervisors are understanding and great support from the team.

There is equality in the workplace, lots of learning and training to maximize your customer service .
easy going laid back co workers.
Vegitation Management (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2017
A very laid back and easy job to do. I personally did not enjoy working there at all. The work in itself was not bad, the people i worked with were not good at all. There is so much drama and behind the back secrets, it felt like i was in high school again. I think they need to fix how they do their hiring and fix upper managements decisions. a lot of times we were wondering why we were doing something when there is either more important things to do or a better way of doing it.

ex. we were picking/cutting and spraying herbicide on already dead weeds that have already seeded out for the next season.-- to do so is absolutely pointless, we should be preparing residual herbicide to kill weeds before they germinate next year!
Cons
only 8 hour days with no overtime
great place to work
MUNICIPAL WASTE INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2017
if you work hard and honest, people will notice. although the union spoils the atmosphere with feeding the workers egos it is a fun place to work and if you are related to someone in the city of Edmonton you have a way better chance of working there.
Pros
you can sit around for 45 minutes and get paid for it at the end of your shift
Cons
good
Employee Service Center Representative (Payroll) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
good work balance
better benefits
nice people to work with.
very accessible
relax environment
learning a lot of things
room for growth
very transparent
Fun place to work and everyone is kind
Member Experiences Liaison - Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
I just started but everyone is very nice and accommodating. They support your decisions made on the job and there are lots of opportunities to ask questions
Not Applicable
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
There really isn't much I can add here as the title this is under does not quite match what it should. None the less the City would be a fun place to work I'm sure.
hard working days
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2017
The work load for the city of Edmonton, is a hard a tough day on the mind and body. What I have learnt from working from the city is, how I can better cooperate with everyone in the work environment, and how I can become a better leader in a work place environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is being about to enjoy the wonderfuk weather or being able to work with a group with people. The hardest part of the job is going to be the long laboring work you have to do.
Pros
you get to drive brand new cars
Cons
cons the long hour shifts
Waste Bin Coordinator Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2017
Good place to work if you are looking for a stable job, people are come and go. Work life balance is good as well. Lots get togethers every once in a while
Was interresting
Data Entry Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 August 2017
I was only a temp so I can not provide much on how things would have been if I had been there longer.
It was a nice place to work, and I made a lot of nice friends.
Pros
nice people
Cons
low pay
The Best Place to work, best job and career path.
Data Entry Clerk (Financial & Corporate Services) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
I worked for the City of Edmonton in 2016 and I can say it was the best experience ever. Not only is everyone so easy going but the training and education they provide and ongoing learned made it even better. Getting every second friday off or every second monday made my family balance manageable. Everyone was easily approachable and there is so much room for advancement. If you are able to get on with the city stay with them.
Pros
Awesome Wages, Free Classes
Cons
Parking Downtown is expensive
Lots of Safety
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
Great place to work. Low key and laid back. Be prepared to do a lot of paper work just to use the washroom. They have a very documented system. Welcome to municipal work!
summer job
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
very accommodating environment, pay is great and work is easy. most people are good and managers do listen. You may run into the odd ones who are protected by the union
Pros
pay work
Cons
union
Management could use personality training
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2017
Hauling waste from the transfer facility to a land fill was fine. Its a fairly dirty, smelly job which is what should be expected. Interesting to a point but not much for excitement. Management was led by an awful person that probably had to pay people to be his friend. Zero people skills.
Pros
Decent pay, steady hours
Cons
no chance at permanent hire. unionized
Interesting work place
- Flexibility
- Great work culture
- Respect
- Appreciation

It`s a very enjoyable work place. Co-workers are very respectful.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Difficult customers sometimes
good place
Parks Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2017
City of Edmonton is a good place to work with job security and work life balance
good equipment , health and safety is #1 in regards to worker safety, with continued training and education to further educate the workers
Pros
job security
Cons
management
fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
It is a place for growth, i've met some of my closest friends through the city of edmonton. The people who work there are kind,funny,caring and most of all respectufl,
Pros
free lunches
Cons
it can be to long
Needs improvement
Labourer/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2017
The facility i am in is in serious need of better quality leadership roles. There is no accountability for staff, where people can literaly come into the zoo do nothing for 8 hours and this is acceptable to management. The rules of the collective bargaining agreement are only followed when it suits the management team.
Ive grown to the point where I realize I am powerless to change the problem and the only thing I can do is change my involvement in the problem.
I do enjoy the atmosphere and my co workers are great I just want a change of scenery.
Pros
Work around the animals
Cons
Lack of leadership/accountability
perfect work place
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2017
During the summer job at the City of Edmonton, I was working directly under the professional mechanics. My supervisor taught me a lot about the equipment such as how to make repairs on the hydraulic systems and diesel engines. In the meantime, I was working with my supervisors and colleges closely to learn quickly and welcome the chance to work under other experienced mechanics that I know can help teach me the things that cannot be learned in a classroom. I have some understanding of what this entails and eager to learn more.
Good workplace
Waste Bin Coordinator Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
this place is a good work place that has lots and lots and lots of fun. and it is also really fun because they hire people with good skills and good personalities
Team support, good structure,
Transportation Planning Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2017
The City of Edmonton is a great place to work where it is very diverse and lots of opportunities for growth. They provide most positions to allow for a great work to life balance.

because of the size of the company, you can get that I'm just a number on a piece of paper feeling, but the supervisors for each department are very involved with their staff.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
voice doesn't get heard

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location