City of Edmonton Employee Reviews in Canada

Not a Bad summer Job
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2015
this Job was not very well run in a sense that they aren't the most organized with what the tasks for the day are. the benefits are great and same with the pay the only downside is that you don't know who you are going to be working with because the city uses the buddy system.
Great organization, great finance team.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2015
Great work life balance, always very grateful being in the union and having great salary/benefits negotiated for on our behalf.
Great Place to Work
Customer Servive Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 10, 2015
I have been with the Community Service Department for over 20 years, one of the reasons is it is a great place to work, excellent salary and great benefits.
Moving general public from point A to point B
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABAugust 20, 2015
Good work place benefits could be better, good equipment and fair security, General public on a bus can be a problem, but you have to be patient with them. Good job for someone who likes to drive and deal with the general public.
Pros
pick your own shift
Great Job
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  EdmontonSeptember 28, 2015
Great job, unfortunately for someone with a family it is not recommended unless you get on permanent. No benefits otherwise.
Productive, Friendly, Supportive and as a team its wonderful workplace to work for and at.
Junior System Analayst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2016
Everyone at the City of Edmonton is very friendly and very supportive. They value your talent and help you to build more for your future employer. Everyone here works as a team and anyone who has some trouble or issue with something can easily go to the Manager or Architects for help and they do it on the spot without even thinking of anything else. For me this is the wonderful place to work at and for. Knowledge is the key in the City of Edmonton as everyone here has an experience of over 15 years or over which is a very good thing for any intern as we can learn a lot from this experience.
Google Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2016
Easy going pace of work and in the heart of the city. Great IT Team, top management thinks about everyone.
Typical day is 9-5 M-F with bi-weekly EDO - day offs
learned a lot
Management is great
co-workers can be tough to deal with some times but very few places are immune to that
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
group politics
Great place to work!
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2016
Offers big career opportunities and stable and secure work. You work with mature and professional people. You will always look forward to coming to work everyday!
Incredible workplace with great people to work with and for.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2015
One of the finest places I've ever worked. My work day typically involved a split shift where I was responsible for the transportation of 1 to 80 persons at a time. I worked alone but was never alone. My co-workers were positive people and were VERY supportive. The hardest part of the job was the bouncing involved while driving. It's the reason I had to go on LTD.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradeship between all the drivers.
Pros
Pay and benefits were great.
Cons
Driving in poor weather and road conditions.
Family Gatherings
Horticulturist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 7, 2016
It was nice to enter a work force, full of such accepting people. The 'family' that has been created there was amazingly helpful and fun. There was never a time where someone was not willing to assist with either answering a question, or lending a helping hand. It was a great place to learn new and helpful tips for an everyday life.
Excellent work/life balance
methods analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 11, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. Tons of growth opportunities. New initiatives are well received by the management. Excellent work/life balance.
Amazing job, Great People!
Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 8, 2016
I worked with brilliant people at the City of Edmonton. Leadership and management are great. Also, there is great work culture. I was lucky enough to have some freedom to pursue issues that I thought were important.
Pros
flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
political gridlock to good ideas
great people and you will learn from the job.
Project Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 22, 2016
nice job to start with, lots of friendly and helpful workers. Some contractors are rude and uncooperative. Lack of professional guidance and poor working cnditions. Exposed in all kinds of weather.
Pros
great supervisors
Cons
no room for improvement
My review is a typical day at work
Summer Labourer 1 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 25, 2016
Meeting in the morning to discuss various conditions of parks, or safety talks.Going to next location, then assess what is needed.I always enjoy the social gathering like Bar-B-Q for a job well done.
Pros
social gathering once a year during the summer
Cons
Weather conditions
Would be better if year round
Parks Servicing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
A great place to work. Attention to training and safety is top notch. All employees seem to take great pride in maintaining the beauty of the facilities they have been assigned to.
Pros
Public Appreciation
Cons
Short Season
productive, easy place to learn new things and lots of opportunities for advancement
truck driver/laborer (Former Employee) –  downtown edmontonJanuary 23, 2015
once at work your foreman will assign jobs according to condition outside. Learned lots of different types of equipment ranging from snow plows, tack truck, skid steers, sanders, tandem truck driving and other types of heavy equipment. Great group of employees to work with. Hardest part of the job is shift work during the winter season. Can enjoy things such as paid vacations, great benefits and always long weekends off.
easy job but not much to it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 18, 2016
job was easy and i didnt learn anything i didnt already know. was basic labor tasks. most co-workers were great but some were annoying. management was the reason i left.
City of Edmonton
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2016
I have been teaching yoga with the City of Edmonton since 2007. I am happy teaching with the City. The Program Coordinators are very accommodating and share information as they receive it.
outstanding
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2016
nice to be able to provide a service to help people who do not drive, to get to and from work and wherever else they need to go
hard working labour intensive job with various skills required
Tunnel Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 24, 2014
A typical day at work would be digging underground by hand for the cities drainage system, with the use of a jackhammer and shovel. We learn how to deal with different ground conditions as well as how to manage time so we finish proper footage in a day. One of the main reason I am looking to further my career else where is because of management. This department in my opinion is poorly disorganized, does not value young driven employees and shows no interest or gives opportunities to advance a career within the department. My co-workers are usually great to work with, hard workers with drive for towards an honest days work. one of the hardest parts of my job would be operating a jackhammer for upwards to twelve hours a day 5-7 days a week, and the most enjoyable part of my job is working with a great crew and learning new ways to make the job and day go a little easier.
Pros
benefits medical and dental, and vaction pay
Cons
very labour intensive work, low opportunites for advancment in a career