City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Waste Bin Coordinator Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2017
Good place to work if you are looking for a stable job, people are come and go. Work life balance is good as well. Lots get togethers every once in a while
The Best Place to work, best job and career path.
Data Entry Clerk (Financial & Corporate Services) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
I worked for the City of Edmonton in 2016 and I can say it was the best experience ever. Not only is everyone so easy going but the training and education they provide and ongoing learned made it even better. Getting every second friday off or every second monday made my family balance manageable. Everyone was easily approachable and there is so much room for advancement. If you are able to get on with the city stay with them.
Pros
Awesome Wages, Free Classes
Cons
Parking Downtown is expensive
Lots of Safety
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
Great place to work. Low key and laid back. Be prepared to do a lot of paper work just to use the washroom. They have a very documented system. Welcome to municipal work!
summer job
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
very accommodating environment, pay is great and work is easy. most people are good and managers do listen. You may run into the odd ones who are protected by the union
Pros
pay work
Cons
union
Management could use personality training
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2017
Hauling waste from the transfer facility to a land fill was fine. Its a fairly dirty, smelly job which is what should be expected. Interesting to a point but not much for excitement. Management was led by an awful person that probably had to pay people to be his friend. Zero people skills.
Pros
Decent pay, steady hours
Cons
no chance at permanent hire. unionized
Interesting work place
- Flexibility
- Great work culture
- Respect
- Appreciation

It`s a very enjoyable work place. Co-workers are very respectful.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Difficult customers sometimes
good place
Parks Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2017
City of Edmonton is a good place to work with job security and work life balance
good equipment , health and safety is #1 in regards to worker safety, with continued training and education to further educate the workers
Pros
job security
Cons
management
fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
It is a place for growth, i've met some of my closest friends through the city of edmonton. The people who work there are kind,funny,caring and most of all respectufl,
Pros
free lunches
Cons
it can be to long
Needs improvement
Labourer/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2017
The facility i am in is in serious need of better quality leadership roles. There is no accountability for staff, where people can literaly come into the zoo do nothing for 8 hours and this is acceptable to management. The rules of the collective bargaining agreement are only followed when it suits the management team.
Ive grown to the point where I realize I am powerless to change the problem and the only thing I can do is change my involvement in the problem.
I do enjoy the atmosphere and my co workers are great I just want a change of scenery.
Pros
Work around the animals
Cons
Lack of leadership/accountability
perfect work place
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2017
During the summer job at the City of Edmonton, I was working directly under the professional mechanics. My supervisor taught me a lot about the equipment such as how to make repairs on the hydraulic systems and diesel engines. In the meantime, I was working with my supervisors and colleges closely to learn quickly and welcome the chance to work under other experienced mechanics that I know can help teach me the things that cannot be learned in a classroom. I have some understanding of what this entails and eager to learn more.
Good workplace
Waste Bin Coordinator Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
this place is a good work place that has lots and lots and lots of fun. and it is also really fun because they hire people with good skills and good personalities
Team support, good structure,
Transportation Planning Technologist II (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2017
The City of Edmonton is a great place to work where it is very diverse and lots of opportunities for growth. They provide most positions to allow for a great work to life balance.

because of the size of the company, you can get that I'm just a number on a piece of paper feeling, but the supervisors for each department are very involved with their staff.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
voice doesn't get heard
Great Summer Job
Recreation Tech/ Green Shack Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
This is an awesome job. You spend the whole summer outside impacting and learning from the children who visit your green shack. Each child has something special to learn from them. You will be challenged daily to grow and be better. The supervisors are always ready to assist you in your need to make your summer programming successful. There is an awesome training program in place to aid each staff member.
secured job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2017
10 to 13 hours a day Tue to Fri.
Safety meeting every week.
Good for new drivers to learn commercial driver industry.
Good pay Good benefit
Physical work with drive.
If you work with partner, usually switch every hour drive and load.
If you do not like to drive all day, this is decent job.
Pros
unionized
Cons
politics
Fun, but varied hours and no advancement
NATURAL HISTORY INTERPRETER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 May 2017
The people I work with are awesome, however, the hours are extremely inconsistent (3 hours some weeks and 25-40 other weeks), there is no seniority (you get the same treatment and hours as someone who has been there a week or 5 years), no benefits or paid vacation.
to much politics
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2017
There was no good old days there. You were always on guard to keep out of site. People spent there time trying to advance there own carers. Was not a good place to work.
A very positive place to work
Recreation Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2017
It was a truly amazing time working with the city. Incredible people to work with within your division but there is a bit of animosity between sections (i.e. The lifeguards and the Rec Techs didn't get along). Overall a very positive experience.
Pros
Positive environment and free food
Cons
Full day shift
Great work-life balance with job security and great benefits
Project Engineer, at Transportation Planning (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2017
My position was challenging, I had a great team of interesting and like-minded colleagues.
I enjoyed the work-life balance, the benefit plan and the pension plan contributions.
The hardest part of the job was trying to take direction from multiple stakeholders, City Council, internal management as well as citizen concerns, developers etc. It was hard to balance many different opinions.
Managment=bullies
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2017
If your supervisor likes you personally, your career advancement options are endless. If not, you will be transferred endlessly around your departments and prevented from advancing, regardless of relevant skills and experiences.
Lots of opportunity
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2017
I've been all over in various city departments. Has the potential to be a great work place however politics come into play when looking to advance. It's all about who you know so network network network. Some coworkers from some departments were great. Felt like people only saw negative and really missed out on the positive and lots of really great valuable employee's are leaving due to management in various area's again because all the who you know stuff that comes to play

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Edmonton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location