City of Edmonton Employee Reviews

Very enjoyable work environment
Recreation Technician 1/ Junior Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 23, 2016
Working with the kids at the park green shacks made everyday new and interesting. Listening to all the stories they had to tell was very enjoyable. I got to meet and get to know new children everyday.
When I would teach a child something new or give them helpful advice on a problem, seeing the smiles on their faces afterwards was the most rewarding part of the job.
The staff and management team were always happy and willing to exchange tips and advice to any issues or concerns that happened on site. We all worked very well together, and nobody felt excluding in any aspect of the job.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
Only a summer job
Not a Bad summer Job
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2015
this Job was not very well run in a sense that they aren't the most organized with what the tasks for the day are. the benefits are great and same with the pay the only downside is that you don't know who you are going to be working with because the city uses the buddy system.
Great organization, great finance team.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2015
Great work life balance, always very grateful being in the union and having great salary/benefits negotiated for on our behalf.
Not a good place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I worked there for one summer. All it was,was problem after problem. Management thinks there all that and more same with some of the techs and things that get brought up by the workers hardly get looked at again because they dont think we know what we are talking about. I was one of the first to be laid off becasue i had a grievance in and was not rehire do to having family work there. I have not been able to get rehire in any area of the city due to this which is bias in a way.
The people you actually work out in the field with are good though.
Pros
co workers
Cons
no life, management isnt good
Productive, Friendly, Supportive and as a team its wonderful workplace to work for and at.
Junior System Analayst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 6, 2016
Everyone at the City of Edmonton is very friendly and very supportive. They value your talent and help you to build more for your future employer. Everyone here works as a team and anyone who has some trouble or issue with something can easily go to the Manager or Architects for help and they do it on the spot without even thinking of anything else. For me this is the wonderful place to work at and for. Knowledge is the key in the City of Edmonton as everyone here has an experience of over 15 years or over which is a very good thing for any intern as we can learn a lot from this experience.
Enjoyable and Safety Sensitive
Laborer l (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2016
There is no typical day at the City of Edmonton. Each day we have the opportunity to try something new and continue to master the multiple duties a Laborer 1 has. If there is a co-worker unfamiliar to performing certain duties it is my understanding to show and demonstrate the correct and safe way in doing so. I'm adaptable and easy to approach. I keep a positive and happy attitude which shows in my work or puts a smile on your face.
Great Place to Work
Customer Servive Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 10, 2015
I have been with the Community Service Department for over 20 years, one of the reasons is it is a great place to work, excellent salary and great benefits.
Good Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  City of Edmonton, ABJune 20, 2016
Salary is low to private sector... Next to no negotiation on hiring.

Workload is good, management is very good. Everyone here is here to better the City and are very helpful. Safety is very important.

As you can imagine there is lots of red tape and approvals for everything.

Benefits are pretty standard...
Pros
Helpful people, friendly and accomidating
Cons
Red tape, slow approvals, low salary, very few additional perks
Moving general public from point A to point B
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ABAugust 20, 2015
Good work place benefits could be better, good equipment and fair security, General public on a bus can be a problem, but you have to be patient with them. Good job for someone who likes to drive and deal with the general public.
Pros
pick your own shift
Cons
Keep the day productive, and enjoy it
Labourer (Former Employee) –  City of Edmonton, ABJune 15, 2016
Always making the day a productive day, but also interact with customer or clients to make a better atmosphere, hard work pays off. interact with co workers to socialize more and to interact to improve. there not hard part in any job, as long you put your mind to it. and most enjoyable part of any job is just doing what your suppose to do and work as hard as you can
Great place to work!
Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 31, 2016
Offers big career opportunities and stable and secure work. You work with mature and professional people. You will always look forward to coming to work everyday!
Great vision, deep support and diversified people
IPTF Waste Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 18, 2016
Great opportunity for someone young starting out in their career. Not a lot of opportunities to advance depending on what area you are working in.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Too much corporate involvement, always changing things because they feel it would be better but most
Friendly atmosphere and nice work conditions
Heavy duty mechanic apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2016
I enjoyed working at The City of Edmonton for three main reasons. One is that everyone is extremely friendly and helpful towards each other and everyone take safety seriously. Second is the nice working condition in the shops. Third is the great work schedule.
Great teenage summer job opportunities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 25, 2016
The Leaders in Training program is a great way to develop the social skills required by many employers. It helps you communicate effectively with all age groups.
Pros
great people, good hours
Cons
own transport required
Great Job
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  EdmontonSeptember 28, 2015
Great job, unfortunately for someone with a family it is not recommended unless you get on permanent. No benefits otherwise.
Two thumbs down.
N/A (Former Employee) –  N/AAugust 13, 2016
They hire their kids and friends. Most qualified applicants aren't given interviews. I am an engineer and couldn't get a call back for engineering, maintenance or basic labour jobs.
Pros
None.
Cons
Too many to name
great people and you will learn from the job.
Project Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 22, 2016
nice job to start with, lots of friendly and helpful workers. Some contractors are rude and uncooperative. Lack of professional guidance and poor working cnditions. Exposed in all kinds of weather.
Pros
great supervisors
Cons
no room for improvement
Google Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2016
Easy going pace of work and in the heart of the city. Great IT Team, top management thinks about everyone.
Typical day is 9-5 M-F with bi-weekly EDO - day offs
learned a lot
Management is great
co-workers can be tough to deal with some times but very few places are immune to that
Pros
Slow paced
Cons
group politics
Incredible workplace with great people to work with and for.
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 11, 2015
One of the finest places I've ever worked. My work day typically involved a split shift where I was responsible for the transportation of 1 to 80 persons at a time. I worked alone but was never alone. My co-workers were positive people and were VERY supportive. The hardest part of the job was the bouncing involved while driving. It's the reason I had to go on LTD.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the comradeship between all the drivers.
Pros
Pay and benefits were great.
Cons
Driving in poor weather and road conditions.
Fun and easy to do after hours
Census Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 16, 2016
I was on my own. I made daily contact with my supervisor to report daily progress. It helped me to talk to people to help gain the information I needed.
Pros
At my own pace
Cons
Only temporary until end of census

City of Edmonton Reviews by Location