Job Number: 15685*
This posting is for one (1) Temporary position that may continue for up to 11 months in duration.
The City of Edmonton Corporate Communications Branch is seeking an experienced professional to join the dynamic team for up to 11 months supporting the communications needs of the Community Services department, a department that prides itself in making a difference every day in the lives of residents. From looking after parks and recreation facilities to putting out fires and creating great neighbourhoods, Community Services plays a key role in making Edmonton an even better place to live, work and play.
As the Communications Advisor you will provide support to Community and Recreation Facilities branch initially and then Community Standards branch.
- Developing, implementing and evaluating innovative communication plans in partnership with department staff
- Identifying emerging issues and implementing strategies to position the City effectively with both internal and external audiences
- Proactively and reactively managing media relations to ensure timely, accurate and fair reporting of the City of Edmonton
- Planning and coordinating media events and providing communications support to externally focused special events
- Providing internal and external communications counsel and tactical support including writing and editing news releases, speeches, presentations, promotional materials and website content
- Liaising with designers and/or advertising agencies to create campaigns to advance the department's business goals
To visualize what it is like to be on our team, visit The City of Edmonton Communications Talent Hub
- University Degree in a communications, public relations or related field supplemented by a minimum of two (2) years of experience in a designated public relations, public affairs or public information position
- Diploma in a communications, public relations or related field supplemented by a minimum of four (4) years of experience in a designated public relations, public affairs or public information position
- A related accreditation would be an asset
- Proven client consulting and relationship building skills
- Media relations experience, including demonstrated success as a corporate spokesperson
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of the requirements of mass communication media and good background knowledge of allied fields such as advertising, printing, graphics, audio-visual and web-based communications
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing innovative communication plans
- Superior issues management skills
- Understanding of how to leverage social media to meet business and communication objectives
- Experience working in a large organization and understanding of public administration would be an asset
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday - Friday. Hours of work may be subject to the terms and conditions of a variable hours of work program
Salary Range: 21M, Salary Grade: 044, $38.152 - $48.079 (Hourly). The rates quoted are in accordance with a collective agreement between the Union and the City of Edmonton. This union contract is currently under negotiation
- Applicants may be tested
- CSU 52 members are asked to send a copy of their application to the Union office
- The City of Edmonton thanks applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Candidates considered for the position will be contacted
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals
The Province of Alberta is a party to the federal Agreement on Internal Trade, the Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement with British Columbia, and the New West Partnership Trade Agreement with British Columbia and Saskatchewan. All of these agreements promote labour mobility between the provinces. Applicants may obtain information regarding recognition of extra provincial credentials at www.newwestpartnershiptrade.ca/
Recruitment Consultant: EA/MG
Classification Title: Public Information Officer II
Posting Date: January 8, 2014
Closing Date - 11:00 p.m. MST on: January 22, 2014
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Temporary Full-time
Union: CSU 52
Department: Operational Communications (Office of the City Manager)
Work Location(s): CN Tower, 11th Floor, 10004 - 104 Ave Edmonton T5J 0K1
*Want to apply? Need more details? Visit www.edmonton.ca/careers
OR https://edmonton.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=15685&NPG-11140 *
Use our easy online system to complete all application requirements immediately and efficiently.
Applicants applying by fax (780)496-8063 or by mail/drop-off at the Employment Centre, Main Floor, City Hall, #1 Sir Winston Churchill Square, Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7, will be forwarded necessary application documents.