City of Coquitlam Employee Reviews in Canada

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Swimming Instructor/Lifeguard
Lifeguard/Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam Sports and RecreationMarch 26, 2016
Coquitlam residents consist mainly of families, very friendly and diverse community where all cultures come together to create a safe and pleasant city to live in.
The typical work day for a popular sports facility in a large city consists of many tasks, deadlines and extreme organization especially dealing with children.
The management is very strong and approachable with a desire for all employees to excel in and outside the work force which inevidably attracted to best employees around creating a pleasent and strong team based atmosphere.
The difficulties of the job are irate and unpleasent customers and patrons which also created challenges that were embraced and handled professionally. The most enjoyable aspect the job were the challenges faced everyday, creating a training ground for excellence and growth.
Involving and fast paced work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJuly 13, 2016
Working at the City of Coquitlam is very enjoyable because the work is very people oriented and working with people of all ages is a very enjoyable task. I enjoyed working with the City for major events and summer camps very much. It is one of my favorite things to do on my off time.
Pros
Volunteer hours
Cons
Tiring, involves a lot of exercise
I volunteered at City of Coquitlam - Fun job
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJuly 13, 2016
It was my job to just take care of animals during my time at the City of Coquitlam (Animal Shelter). I tended to the cats and made sure that they were well fed and taken care of as well as the rabbits and dogs. I also sanitized the cages and cleaned the vicinity where the animals would inhabit.
Pros
Took care of animals
Playing and working with various children.
volunteering (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, B.CFebruary 11, 2015
It was a weekly volunteer work at the community centre. My job was to supervise the kids and help the staff when needed. The children were extremely cute; however, some have hard time detaching their bodies a part from their parents. I learned how to lead and comfort them into peace and not let them cry. I managed to cheer them up and turn their frowns into big laughters. My staffs were amazingly nice and considerate. One of the hardest part of this experience was to take care of numerous kids at once. It was a bit of a hassle and overwhelming; however, being able to see big smiles on their faces made me think all the effort I've put in to was worth it. Each time I volunteer, the experiences are always enjoyable and fun. No regrets were made after all.
Pros
experience hands on handling with kids, learning how to be organized, multitask
Flexible, allows for opportunity for development of a number of skills including team work, leadership, conflict resolution.
Aquatic Leader - Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 16, 2014
A typical day consists of 4 or more hours per shift which includes lifeguarding the pool, teaching swimming lessons, learning about new pool programs, and interacting with the public.
I have learned to take initiative, be reliable, work within a team setting, the importance of strong communication skills. I have strengthened my public relations and interpersonal skills as well as developed my leadership skills and problem solving skills.
My managers are highly supportive and take a strong interest in all the employees and seek to maintain the best standard possible.
My co-workers are around the same age as myself which makes working with them highly enjoyable as we are all at similar stages in our lives.
The most difficult part of my job is dealing with stereotypes perceived by patrons regarding my position as a lifeguard and a young woman.
The most enjoyable part is working with kids and interacting with the public.
Pros
wage and flexibility
Cons
lack of hours available, hour allocation policy

4.5