City of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

I enjoyed working there.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2015
It was good experience working at the city. I enjoyed the management, and gained quite a lot of valuable knowledge from my time there.
Pros
City Work
Cons
Not enough hours
good
Custodian & yard maintenance labour (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2015
I had a good experience working for them as I continued to learn how to Landscape, prune trees & shrubs and I loved the atmosphere and I also enjoyed working as a custodian at the Arts Center.......
City of Calgary
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
The management is top heavy, It is that old saying too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The work load for the regular staff is overwhelming at times. Mostly my co-workers were great, I was always requested back to the same departments once I had worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the public.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
nothing comes to mind
Great Job
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Loved my job there. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the coworkers, but wished there was more job security and stability. Unfortunatley I was laid off.
Great job
Big Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2015
I enjoyed the people on a daily basis, loved driving the units, found the training program excellent. The salary is amazing along w ith benefits. the hardest part was learning route within 24 hr notice every day.
Pros
Salary
Cons
treated like a number
N/A
Attendant II (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMarch 31, 2015
It was very great to work at. Great pay and great people. Hard to get time off (since it is a summer job), you are expected to work summer hours. Would recommend someone to work here.
Great summer position
Rail Systems Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work would involve me sitting at my desk and working with microsoft excel, word and access. I would help the Certified Engineering Technologists and Professional Engineers with various tasks. Also when there is free time they would take me out on site and see the LRT system that they are responsible for.
Well put together
Assessment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Enjoyed all my days learning new things working with City Clerks side by siCustomer Service in all areas. troubleshooting, listening skills extreme knowledge.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Good job but can be very stressful at times
Foreman/Gardener (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2015
Good work. Good people to work with. Job is seasonal so it starts out slow, then gets very busy and hectic in mid summer. It gets slow
at the end of the season. Then you get laid off. You get swamped with work from Victoria Day weekend until Labour Day weekend.
Pros
good work, money, and benefits
Cons
over stressed some times
Good
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2015
Short position, but lots of opportunities to take personal initiative. Provides excellent leadership experience. Lots of opportunities to advance.
Good work/life balance
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2015
Too corporate with initiatives coming from Council. A lot of work couldn't be completed without direction from all over the place. It's hard to feel accomplished in your work.
Decent Job
Community Shuttle Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2015
Good part-time job with flexibility and great benefits and pay given the position
Pros
low stress, flexibility, good people, benefits
Cons
occasional split shifts
Productive and Customer focused
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2015
I drive bus for Calgary Transit.
Dealing with customers.
Most enjoyable part is meeting with new people.
Pros
wrok independently
presently Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 29, 2014
I work part-time, shift work. I earned $30,000 per year.
I work with a team of people
LOVED IT, it was a ton of fun
Youth Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 13, 2014
A typical day at work would begin playing games or sports with young kids. This position has taught me allot, such as How to be patient and more understanding. It has helped me to be more myself and to become not so afraid to let the "kid in me" get out and just have some fun once in a while.

The hardest part of my position here was thinking of creative and intuitive ways to coach muay Thai to the youngsters. Even though I have been the sport for so many years, coaching it is a whole other level. It definitely helped me with my presentation skills. A second difficult thing to deal with was preventing and stopping, both with the individual being bullied and the individual being the bully. It was not fun. Very sad to see someone becoming so assumed of themselves because someone was putting them down.

My co-workers were a blast! Every Friday night after teen nights all the staff went out for pizza at a pizza place next door. Everyone hung out. The culture was amazing.
Pros
group gatherings, tons of interesting opportunities, being a positive role model for youth
Cons
being done at work at 1230 am on a friday night, needing more direction, more training
Fun Workplace
Administrative Assistant - Contract (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2014
I have learned a lot of stuff here. I have enhanced my knowledge in a lot of things.
Workout gym
3-1-1 CUSTOMER CONTACT CENTRE – CITIZEN SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
Inbound contact centre. Handle internal and external customers. Dealing with difficult customers. ESL customers. Compressed schedule.
Great palce to work
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
Great place to work. Busy place, everyone is there to work.

the culture is great. Job security is great. Money is good, great benefits, the only this is its hard to become permanent with city.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
always very busy
Weight room
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2014
Intense work with decisions that have to made within seconds to periods of being uneventful or idol.

Shift work is a way of life compounded by working nights and being required to be in a Court of Law in the morning or afternoon then back to night shift with usual high expectations not to be compromised.

Twenty six year's is difficult to paraphrase in a review how ever decisions were a way of life.
From a citizen asking if they ay park in a certain spot to being first at Homicide scenes and doing emergency entries in high risk situation's.

As senior man I was constantly asked to do relief Supervisor work which embodied Supervising all Constables in downtown Calgary and being incident commander at major situations.
Pros
no free lunch. good weight room
Cons
long hours without warnng and working nights then days in court.
Diverse place to work
Service Lane Attendant (Current Employee) –  CalgaryOctober 29, 2014
Overall, a good company to work for.

Lots of room for growth, many different departments to work for.

4.2