City of Calgary Employee Reviews

I enjoy my work and a job well done. Sometimes a change can help a person grow and that is what I am looking for.
Records Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2012
I enjoy my positin with the City of Calgary. I enjoy the activity I have with the customers and the challenge this position offers. I have been doing this positon now heading for 16 years. My co-workers are very co-operative and easy to work with. The Management has been very good with helping me when I am behind due to overload of work. They have tried to accomodate with the work hours so I can balance my home life with work life. I have been doing records for a long time and have developed high organizational skills, how to deal with the public, and how to multi-task.
Great palce to work
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2014
Great place to work. Busy place, everyone is there to work.

the culture is great. Job security is great. Money is good, great benefits, the only this is its hard to become permanent with city.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
always very busy
Recreation Leader II
Recreation Leader II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2016
- Responsible for a large number of children at day camps, the children were 3-12 years of age
- Ensure safe environment for all children; clear area of physical dangers
- Plan and organize crafts and activities for the children
- Explain and ensure children follow the rules of the programs
- Lead and organize the children in fun and safe activities
Interesting place to work, but there is a huge disconnect between upper Management and the regular employees.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2012
Upper Management really needs to be more organized and realistic. If Management doesn't want employees to work late then they should be concise with their requests and expectations.
Pros
job security, although the union only seems to protect the lazy and useless employees.
Cons
the management disconnect that seems to occur within every business unit.
Learned alot of new things, example maintanence of lawn care and hand tools.
Yard Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2016
Really enjoyed showing up for work daily M-F from 8am-4pm was very well respected and really enjoyed new things which I use daily on my own lawn care maintenance and was able to teach my teenage son and my 10 year old son, much useful skill I could share with family.

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for your review, happy to hear the new skills you learned at work can be applied at home too!

Great Co-workers , The experience can be a one of learning .
Landscape Labourer / Irrigation Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2015
Day to day work load would change , using vast experience to meet the demand of the task of the day . Operated many pieces of equipment would perform routine maintenance of equipment . Gardening , Pruning were ordinary tasks of the day . Irrigation work was an interesting experience at the City . Management at the department was always in a chaotic state more reactive than proactive .When I worked in Irrigation found the management to be very good and proactive . My time there with my co-workers were enjoyable we had a very easy going workplace atmosphere in all departments , conflicts were rare . Challenges presented themselves when working on re mounting and installing the headstones due to the ground was always difficult . When completion of task that impacted others and hearing the feedback was a rewarding experience .
Pros
the work shift, co- workers, feedback from the public
Cons
rare and infrequent visits from the management, inconsistent work schedule
Job security
Planner (Current Employee) –  Calgary21 August 2013
Lots of stuff to do. If you like working for the community this is for you. Many ops for advancement, career development and freedom to be creative. But is heavily influenced by unions and there are a few bad elements that abuse the system. Working silos seems to be the norm and too many bosses to please.
Pros
Job security, compensation
Cons
Lack of a strategic mgmt plan, bureocracy.
Extremely diverse, ever changing culture
Coordinator - Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2015
I have had a long standing career with The City of Calgary and have had many opportunities. The most rewarding aspects have been the people I lead and support on a daily basis
Pros
I love the work I do and the people I work with
Cons
Commute to downtown Calgary - just moving to Okotoks I would enjoy something more local
Productive and fun workplace
Parks Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2013
The City of Calgary is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Working for The City means exceptional benefits, a defined pension plan, work and life balance, learning and development opportunities, and multiple career paths.
Reliable, consistent Job, good work life balance.
Plant maintenance (Current Employee) –  waterservices21 June 2014
The job very steady, working a consistent shift. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful. The pace is a lot slower than I am used to, there is very much a union mentality, nothing gets done before start time. Hanging around waiting for direction and morning meetings really absorb most of the mornings time. If you are willing to put in 7 years< there maybe a possibility of advancement, but that is if you are not superseded by a worker from another department or plant that has more seniority than you.

The work is fairly typical and routine, very hard to think out side the box as other co-workers shut you down due to the union scope of work and what they feel that they should do for the pay that they receive. The hourly wage is very good for working in Calgary, although there is a lot of deductions which bring your take home to an exist able level. Unfortunately Overtime is very scarce, your basic wage is really what have to consider normal, any OT is a bonus.

On the up side, your deductions go towards a very good health care program. A lot of you weekly money gets deducted for a pension which is match plus more by the city. Short and long term sick, standard 2 weeks holiday after a year.
Pros
pension and good benifits, good worklife balance
Cons
No OT, little room for advancement, old school managment and work ideas.
Weight room
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2014
Intense work with decisions that have to made within seconds to periods of being uneventful or idol.

Shift work is a way of life compounded by working nights and being required to be in a Court of Law in the morning or afternoon then back to night shift with usual high expectations not to be compromised.

Twenty six year's is difficult to paraphrase in a review how ever decisions were a way of life.
From a citizen asking if they ay park in a certain spot to being first at Homicide scenes and doing emergency entries in high risk situation's.

As senior man I was constantly asked to do relief Supervisor work which embodied Supervising all Constables in downtown Calgary and being incident commander at major situations.
Pros
No free lunch. Good weight room
Cons
Long hours without warnng and working nights then days in court.
Enjoyed variety in job, respect of mgt and cooperation of fellow employees
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2013
Set my priorities for work to be done with little direction after training in policies and procedures. Fellow employees generally had lots of experience and this was respected by management and co-workers. Learned about departments and what they actually do. Worked in small teams to cross train, so we could help and cover for each other as necessary. Sometimes differences in union agreements could be challenging although employer was working on making all agreements more similar. The people I worked with were terrific, management always helpful, interaction with outside staff always timely and cooperation was great.
Pros
4 day, 35 hour work week
Cons
Travel time to and from work
Very nice people to work with.
Records Management Technician & Document Managment (Former Employee) –  Human Resources3 February 2014
-Start at 6 A.M. file aprox. 200 documents after preparation, many hours of computer work and dealing with our customers all day long.
-excellent people skills, computer skills
-co-workers are great people to work with and very helpful
-finding coverage so I can have breaks and putting in long hours
-I know my job very well and take pride in doing a good job. I find many opportunities to execute my talents and knowledge with this company. I call them my work family.
Pros
Compressed work weeks, provided nice vacation time
Cons
At times, long hours, large work load
Best place I have ever worked
Administrative Assistant Risk and Claims (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2016
Everyone is so nice and supportive. All the managers treat you like an equal. The work is simple, and if you don't know something and ask they will explain why and how something is done the way it is.
Pros
Great environment

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for the review, we're glad you enjoy working for The City and helping to make Calgary better every day.

Calgary coach wworks
Census Taker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2012
I enjoyed my time at this shop.In my time with this company.IN my time with this company worked in several positions, I started in the re-finish shop and worked my way up the position of working shop fore man.The management and staff were fun, supportive ,encouraging,and skilled in all assets of th9is organization.There were very long days and many a week of six and seven day weeks.I always enjoyed delivering the automobiles. after it was re-paired and seeing mine and my fellow co workers skilled repairs
Pros
a very strong company
Cons
the lack of home and family time
great salary/benefits poor management
911 Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2013
Great organization in many ways, great co-workers, however many cases of the wrong individuals getting promoted.
benefits
Cons
management
LOVED IT, it was a ton of fun
Youth Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2014
A typical day at work would begin playing games or sports with young kids. This position has taught me allot, such as How to be patient and more understanding. It has helped me to be more myself and to become not so afraid to let the "kid in me" get out and just have some fun once in a while.

The hardest part of my position here was thinking of creative and intuitive ways to coach muay Thai to the youngsters. Even though I have been the sport for so many years, coaching it is a whole other level. It definitely helped me with my presentation skills. A second difficult thing to deal with was preventing and stopping, both with the individual being bullied and the individual being the bully. It was not fun. Very sad to see someone becoming so assumed of themselves because someone was putting them down.

My co-workers were a blast! Every Friday night after teen nights all the staff went out for pizza at a pizza place next door. Everyone hung out. The culture was amazing.
Pros
group gatherings, tons of interesting opportunities, being a positive role model for youth
Cons
being done at work at 1230 am on a friday night, needing more direction, more training
City of Calgary
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2015
The management is top heavy, It is that old saying too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The work load for the regular staff is overwhelming at times. Mostly my co-workers were great, I was always requested back to the same departments once I had worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the public.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
nothing comes to mind
Good job but can be very stressful at times
Foreman/Gardener (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2015
Good work. Good people to work with. Job is seasonal so it starts out slow, then gets very busy and hectic in mid summer. It gets slow
at the end of the season. Then you get laid off. You get swamped with work from Victoria Day weekend until Labour Day weekend.
Pros
Good work, money, and benefits
Cons
Over stressed some times
A normal day in Finance at The City of Calgary - CFS
Accounting Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 October 2013
- Scanning, PO's, Statistical Analysis; Mail; Treasury; Cheque-runs; Filling; Procurement; ERP System updates; Livelink

- Management always made it easy for me while studying in school. They gave me as many opportunities as they could while I was working as an Accounting Business Analyst.

- Hardest Part of the Job: Able to find permanent role.

- Most enjoyable: Management were friendly!
Pros
Easy work environement
Cons
Hard to find permanent work

City of Calgary Reviews by Location