City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Fair employer
Junior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2017
I was only there for a summer position, but I felt I learned a decent amount from working there. I would not call my time with them exceptional in any particular way, but the overall experience was a positive one and I would definitely work there again if given the opportunity.
Pros
Nothing horrible, fair wage, solid management
Cons
Nothing amazing, felt my being there wasn't really noticed
Job and the people are great
Senior Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2017
Job and the people I work with are great. I wouldn't say that about the management and their treatment of the operators. The hours make traveling to work much easier in the busy Calgary traffic.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
Traffic operator, Labourer and scale personnel (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2017
work well with others,
able to multi-task,
able to follow directions accurately,
excellent customer care assistance,
I am a quick learner.
Pros
cares greatly for customer service
Cons
no overtime
Interesting place to work at. Good job atmosphere.
Buyer - Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Calgary6 February 2017
The City gave me the opportunity to grow in my professional procurement experience. It exposed me to great projects that have a positive impact on the lives of many Calgarians.

I highly recommend the city.
Pros
every second Friday off. Stable.
Cons
slow career progression
Good Company to work
Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
It was temporary assignment for a short period of a week only. Team members were very supportive. I wish I would have been worked for a long time with this company.
311 Call Centre
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2017
Work at the call centre can be hectic at times when call volumes are high but the pay is very good for customer service work and the benefits are excellent. The environment is very supportive thanks to management and it is truly like working with a close-knit family. You are left to make your own decisions and you are fully supported in doing that. Unfortunately, I had to move on after a limited term ended so I do wish there was more room for advancement/job security but other than that, I would highly recommend working at The City of Calgary.
Pros
Great management, great benefits, good work environment
Cons
Hectic pace during periods of high call volumes.
Friendly atmosphere with competitive employees and fair management
ASSESSMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
The City of Calgary was professional and upheld a high quality standards which in turn produced positive results. The workload was well spread throughout the employees and management was very accommodating if help was needed.
Pros
Benefits, accommodating atmosphere, no overtime necessary
Cons
Lack of parking
a very well run IT shop
Manager, Strategic Business Technology Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 December 2016
The City of Calgary of IT shop is one of the best to work. The staff are very knowledgeable, professional and innovative.

Leadership provides great direction and have a solid plan on how to provide a very high quality of service to the citizens of Calgary.
Offer different opportunities
Business Strategist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2016
Opportunity to participate in change and innovation. Work culture strenghthen and supported by the leadership team. Learning and development opportunities available.
I am a Seasonal worker and I would would like to work full time.
Supervise Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2016
I worked in an area for several years. This year the City
changed all the areas and crews.

They are also subcontracting a lot of the Parks operations.
My job will likely be phased out in the next couple of years.

I enjoy working with plants and growing. I supervised crews and worked right along with them to achieve success.

I also operate a small home business greenhouse and have achieved success with my endeavours.
Pros
Enjoyed the area I was working in
Cons
No room for advancement or getting a full time position
Great, challenging work for students
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2016
The City of Calgary Swim Instructor position is a fun, flexible and empowering job. Instructors get to work with kids, adults and seniors in a linear progressive program that branches of as swimming ability improves.
Fun work, decent pay, great people
Climbing Instructor (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, AB24 October 2016
I have enjoyed basically everything about my current job with the City. I like my co-workers and all of my bosses, and especially the kids. I've learned a lot about dealing with parents/customers and how to try and settle conflicts. I like everything about my job, its just not enough hours for me currently.
Pros
Great management and environment
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Learning experience
Customer Contact Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2016
I have lived in Calgary all my life and working at 311 Customer Contact Centre has expanded my city knowledge. There were days when I would take the same call inquires and other days, I would learn more each day.
Pros
No sales targets, customer service experience, great people to work with, like family
Experience with the City of Calgary
Senior Business Analyst/Technical Writer/Tester (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2016
My experience with the City of Calgary for the most part was enjoyable. The work was challenging and I learned something new every day. I had never used or worked with Integraph CAD system, and enjoyed the challenge of learning a new system. I wrote modules that were going to be used to train or refresh City Fire and EMTs. In addition to the modules, I also wrote test cases. These cases allowed the user to create new Stations/Units, etc. The hardest part of the job was that we were in a huge building, but isolated from the main area. I'm used to working in a more diverse environment. In addition, there was no cafeteria on site and it took 20 minutes to get anything to eat. Lastly, I was contracted through Manpower to the job and the pay, for my skill set, was not up to standard.
Pros
Good equipment
Cons
Working through Manpower the salary was not up to my expectations.
311 Operations City of Calgary
311 OPERATIONS AGENT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2016
The 311 operations center is dynamic and fast paced

I've learned a great deal about Calgary while at 311

The citizen's call in with their concerns, and as an agent, I would create a service request for the appropriate department to have them investigate, it's a very good system.
Pros
Varied shifts
Cons
Varied shifts
Productive environment with targets, goals and incentives for individuals and for teams
Labourer and Groundman1 (Former Employee) –  Calgary9 July 2016
Constant learning environment as technology advanced Went from an entirely mechanical product to entirely electronic and programmable within 5 years.
Hard working and dedicated co-workers always looking to improve the methods of operation
Pros
In house training available
Cons
limited budgets for training
accommodating and friendly staff
Dance Instructor & Pre-school Teacher & Janitor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2016
A great environment to work with the city !! Lots of free swim pass days, and annual social events. A new bike program has begun! Go to the city of calgary website for more details on two wheel view!
Best Compnay
Administrator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2016
Overall Best company with good people to work.Learn new software like JDE and how to organize things on priority basis. Had good health benefits
Pros
Best COmpany
Cons
Management changed
Great place to start
HUMAN RESOURCES ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2016
I started my career with The City over nine years ago. I started in an inbound Human Resources Service Centre and worked my way up until I reached HR Analyst. The best part of my job is working with my clients and working on complex and challenging cases. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others. A typical day at The City includes phone calls, lots of emails and drop ins with inquiries, cases and project work. Then there are meetings to learn and share from colleagues, talk to the Director and regular meetings with clients. I feel blessed to have worked at such a great company and would like to move out East to learn a new culture, processes, collective agreements, etc.
Pros
Own office, parking, co-workers, relationship building, flexible, great benefits, pension, vacation and pay
Cons
Far from family
Very professional place to work
Senior Energy Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2016
Excellent work and life balance. Great package and compensation. Flexible management. If you like to grow you always have an opportunity to work around. Professional growth is their number one priority.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2