City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Recreation Leader II
Recreation Leader II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2016
- Responsible for a large number of children at day camps, the children were 3-12 years of age
- Ensure safe environment for all children; clear area of physical dangers
- Plan and organize crafts and activities for the children
- Explain and ensure children follow the rules of the programs
- Lead and organize the children in fun and safe activities
Seasonal job
Park Maintance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2013
With working with the city of Calgary, was a great experience learning about park maintenance and working with a team.

Machinery (trimmer)
Learning about different flowers, trees, and how to trim or cut different plants.

Hardest part was lifting heavy product, in the hot heat
Most enjoyable was working in the sun and being outside, and working with your crew.
Pros
good benefits, fruit days, and special lunch days
Cons
working in hot heat
Reliable, consistent Job, good work life balance.
Plant maintenance (Current Employee) –  waterservices21 June 2014
The job very steady, working a consistent shift. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful. The pace is a lot slower than I am used to, there is very much a union mentality, nothing gets done before start time. Hanging around waiting for direction and morning meetings really absorb most of the mornings time. If you are willing to put in 7 years< there maybe a possibility of advancement, but that is if you are not superseded by a worker from another department or plant that has more seniority than you.

The work is fairly typical and routine, very hard to think out side the box as other co-workers shut you down due to the union scope of work and what they feel that they should do for the pay that they receive. The hourly wage is very good for working in Calgary, although there is a lot of deductions which bring your take home to an exist able level. Unfortunately Overtime is very scarce, your basic wage is really what have to consider normal, any OT is a bonus.

On the up side, your deductions go towards a very good health care program. A lot of you weekly money gets deducted for a pension which is match plus more by the city. Short and long term sick, standard 2 weeks holiday after a year.
Pros
pension and good benifits, good worklife balance
Cons
No OT, little room for advancement, old school managment and work ideas.
Great palce to work
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2014
Great place to work. Busy place, everyone is there to work.

the culture is great. Job security is great. Money is good, great benefits, the only this is its hard to become permanent with city.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
always very busy
Great job
Big Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2015
I enjoyed the people on a daily basis, loved driving the units, found the training program excellent. The salary is amazing along w ith benefits. the hardest part was learning route within 24 hr notice every day.
Pros
Salary
Cons
treated like a number
Productive and fun workplace
Parks Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2013
The City of Calgary is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Working for The City means exceptional benefits, a defined pension plan, work and life balance, learning and development opportunities, and multiple career paths.
Learned alot of new things, example maintanence of lawn care and hand tools.
Yard Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 February 2016
Really enjoyed showing up for work daily M-F from 8am-4pm was very well respected and really enjoyed new things which I use daily on my own lawn care maintenance and was able to teach my teenage son and my 10 year old son, much useful skill I could share with family.

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for your review, happy to hear the new skills you learned at work can be applied at home too!

best job for your private time and family life
Concrete Finisher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2012
Favorite position i ever held. Great people. Get to explore the city. Interact with all kinds of citizens. Great pay benefits and hours. Mon to thurs in summer and three day 12 hour shifts in winter. Deakling with trafic day to day was sometimes chllenging
Decent Job
Community Shuttle Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2015
Good part-time job with flexibility and great benefits and pay given the position
Pros
Low stress, flexibility, good people, benefits
Cons
Occasional split shifts
great salary/benefits poor management
911 Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2013
Great organization in many ways, great co-workers, however many cases of the wrong individuals getting promoted.
benefits
Cons
management
Relaxed work environment with great pay relative to other comparable industries
Customer Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2013
Good place to work in terms of pay and benefits for permanent workers. Managment is alright. But overall it is an easy-going plce to work
Best place I have ever worked
Administrative Assistant Risk and Claims (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2016
Everyone is so nice and supportive. All the managers treat you like an equal. The work is simple, and if you don't know something and ask they will explain why and how something is done the way it is.
Pros
Great environment

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for the review, we're glad you enjoy working for The City and helping to make Calgary better every day.

I enjoy my work and a job well done. Sometimes a change can help a person grow and that is what I am looking for.
Records Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2012
I enjoy my positin with the City of Calgary. I enjoy the activity I have with the customers and the challenge this position offers. I have been doing this positon now heading for 16 years. My co-workers are very co-operative and easy to work with. The Management has been very good with helping me when I am behind due to overload of work. They have tried to accomodate with the work hours so I can balance my home life with work life. I have been doing records for a long time and have developed high organizational skills, how to deal with the public, and how to multi-task.
Worst Employer
Class 3 Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2014
I have nothing good to say about working for the City of Calgary. Benefits and Pension are a joke. The Union is neutered.
Extremely diverse, ever changing culture
Coordinator - Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2015
I have had a long standing career with The City of Calgary and have had many opportunities. The most rewarding aspects have been the people I lead and support on a daily basis
Pros
I love the work I do and the people I work with
Cons
Commute to downtown Calgary - just moving to Okotoks I would enjoy something more local
Good
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2014
It was an easy friendly and highly beneficial place to work a great summer job!
Pros
salary, hours, environment
Cons
union fees
Good overall
Emergency Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2014
Good Overall. Salary and Benefits are worthwhile but working shift work has it's sacrifices.
Great Co-workers , The experience can be a one of learning .
Landscape Labourer / Irrigation Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2015
Day to day work load would change , using vast experience to meet the demand of the task of the day . Operated many pieces of equipment would perform routine maintenance of equipment . Gardening , Pruning were ordinary tasks of the day . Irrigation work was an interesting experience at the City . Management at the department was always in a chaotic state more reactive than proactive .When I worked in Irrigation found the management to be very good and proactive . My time there with my co-workers were enjoyable we had a very easy going workplace atmosphere in all departments , conflicts were rare . Challenges presented themselves when working on re mounting and installing the headstones due to the ground was always difficult . When completion of task that impacted others and hearing the feedback was a rewarding experience .
Pros
the work shift, co- workers, feedback from the public
Cons
rare and infrequent visits from the management, inconsistent work schedule
Weight room
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2014
Intense work with decisions that have to made within seconds to periods of being uneventful or idol.

Shift work is a way of life compounded by working nights and being required to be in a Court of Law in the morning or afternoon then back to night shift with usual high expectations not to be compromised.

Twenty six year's is difficult to paraphrase in a review how ever decisions were a way of life.
From a citizen asking if they ay park in a certain spot to being first at Homicide scenes and doing emergency entries in high risk situation's.

As senior man I was constantly asked to do relief Supervisor work which embodied Supervising all Constables in downtown Calgary and being incident commander at major situations.
Pros
No free lunch. Good weight room
Cons
Long hours without warnng and working nights then days in court.
Very nice people to work with.
Records Management Technician & Document Managment (Former Employee) –  Human Resources3 February 2014
-Start at 6 A.M. file aprox. 200 documents after preparation, many hours of computer work and dealing with our customers all day long.
-excellent people skills, computer skills
-co-workers are great people to work with and very helpful
-finding coverage so I can have breaks and putting in long hours
-I know my job very well and take pride in doing a good job. I find many opportunities to execute my talents and knowledge with this company. I call them my work family.
Pros
Compressed work weeks, provided nice vacation time
Cons
At times, long hours, large work load

City of Calgary Reviews by Location