City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Amazing
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  City HallSeptember 9, 2015
Working at the City Of Calgary was one of the best places I have ever worked. I am a single mom their understanding and flexibility definitely made things easier on my home life.
Pros
Flexibility
City of Calgary
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
The management is top heavy, It is that old saying too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The work load for the regular staff is overwhelming at times. Mostly my co-workers were great, I was always requested back to the same departments once I had worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the public.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
nothing comes to mind
Great summer position
Rail Systems Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work would involve me sitting at my desk and working with microsoft excel, word and access. I would help the Certified Engineering Technologists and Professional Engineers with various tasks. Also when there is free time they would take me out on site and see the LRT system that they are responsible for.
Good job but can be very stressful at times
Foreman/Gardener (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2015
Good work. Good people to work with. Job is seasonal so it starts out slow, then gets very busy and hectic in mid summer. It gets slow
at the end of the season. Then you get laid off. You get swamped with work from Victoria Day weekend until Labour Day weekend.
Pros
good work, money, and benefits
Cons
over stressed some times
Great Co-workers , The experience can be a one of learning .
Landscape Labourer / Irrigation Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2015
Day to day work load would change , using vast experience to meet the demand of the task of the day . Operated many pieces of equipment would perform routine maintenance of equipment . Gardening , Pruning were ordinary tasks of the day . Irrigation work was an interesting experience at the City . Management at the department was always in a chaotic state more reactive than proactive .When I worked in Irrigation found the management to be very good and proactive . My time there with my co-workers were enjoyable we had a very easy going workplace atmosphere in all departments , conflicts were rare . Challenges presented themselves when working on re mounting and installing the headstones due to the ground was always difficult . When completion of task that impacted others and hearing the feedback was a rewarding experience .
Pros
the work shift, co- workers, feedback from the public
Cons
rare and infrequent visits from the management, inconsistent work schedule
variety opportunity to learn new skills many areas to learn
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corporate PropertiesAugust 26, 2014
each day brought opportunity to learn new skills, eg website updates, communications process internal and external, a unique opportunity to interact with Citizens, City Council,MLA's, creative services, working with co-workers on projects such as land, buildings. the great opportunity to learn new processes and skills
Pros
a great place to work providing great challenges to produce great work
Weight room
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2014
Intense work with decisions that have to made within seconds to periods of being uneventful or idol.

Shift work is a way of life compounded by working nights and being required to be in a Court of Law in the morning or afternoon then back to night shift with usual high expectations not to be compromised.

Twenty six year's is difficult to paraphrase in a review how ever decisions were a way of life.
From a citizen asking if they ay park in a certain spot to being first at Homicide scenes and doing emergency entries in high risk situation's.

As senior man I was constantly asked to do relief Supervisor work which embodied Supervising all Constables in downtown Calgary and being incident commander at major situations.
Pros
no free lunch. good weight room
Cons
long hours without warnng and working nights then days in court.
Very nice people to work with.
Records Management Technician & Document Managment (Former Employee) –  Human ResourcesFebruary 3, 2014
-Start at 6 A.M. file aprox. 200 documents after preparation, many hours of computer work and dealing with our customers all day long.
-excellent people skills, computer skills
-co-workers are great people to work with and very helpful
-finding coverage so I can have breaks and putting in long hours
-I know my job very well and take pride in doing a good job. I find many opportunities to execute my talents and knowledge with this company. I call them my work family.
Pros
compressed work weeks, provided nice vacation time
Cons
at times, long hours, large work load
Friendly colleagues, busy environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 26, 2013
Took a refresher course in iRIMS, and SharePoint.
Job was easy to settle into as it was similar to what I did when working with the Federal Public Sector.
Learned that the approval system was more lax in comparison to the Federal Public Sector.
Difficult part of job: Having to keep an eye on the clock as it was my responsibility to relieve the reception from the desk for her breaks. It's easy to lose track of time when focusing on a particular project.
Most enjoyable part of the job: being busy, allowed the day to pass quickly. Colleagues had a good attitude providing humor in the workplace.
Pros
busy
Cons
replacing reception
A normal day in Finance at The City of Calgary - CFS
Accounting Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 13, 2013
- Scanning, PO's, Statistical Analysis; Mail; Treasury; Cheque-runs; Filling; Procurement; ERP System updates; Livelink

- Management always made it easy for me while studying in school. They gave me as many opportunities as they could while I was working as an Accounting Business Analyst.

- Hardest Part of the Job: Able to find permanent role.

- Most enjoyable: Management were friendly!
Pros
easy work environement
Cons
hard to find permanent work
Variety of work, learning new protocols in each assignment.
TESA Contractor (HR) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 6, 2012
I have been employed as a full-time temporary administrative assistant with The City of Calgary. This has provided me with several years' experience working in many different business units allowing me to cross-train in many areas. I have started many new assignments with little or no training thereby having to learn as I go. I have left a very positive impact on every business unit I have worked in. These included Calgary Police, Calgary Fire Department, Human Resources, Development and Building Approvals, to name a few.
Pros
variety of work.
Cons
commute.
Calgary coach wworks
Census Taker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2012
I enjoyed my time at this shop.In my time with this company.IN my time with this company worked in several positions, I started in the re-finish shop and worked my way up the position of working shop fore man.The management and staff were fun, supportive ,encouraging,and skilled in all assets of th9is organization.There were very long days and many a week of six and seven day weeks.I always enjoyed delivering the automobiles. after it was re-paired and seeing mine and my fellow co workers skilled repairs
Pros
a very strong company
Cons
the lack of home and family time
I totally enjoyed working for the City of Calgary.
Traffic Marker - Temporary Traffic Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2012
My day began at 5 am when i would muster for morning role call. Meet up with my spotting crew, ready the supplies for the day, review the roads to be marked and then we would take the neccessary equipment out to the job site. Close the lanes, close the road, follow behind the paving crew or spot (paint) the road in live traffic.
The department i worked for was responsible for the whole city so the freedom to travel from 22x and spruce meadows to beddington and back to our shop on spring gardens was amazing.
Pros
a real brotherhood of like minded individuals.
Cons
a lot of different bosses to please.
I enjoy my work and a job well done. Sometimes a change can help a person grow and that is what I am looking for.
Records Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 25, 2012
I enjoy my positin with the City of Calgary. I enjoy the activity I have with the customers and the challenge this position offers. I have been doing this positon now heading for 16 years. My co-workers are very co-operative and easy to work with. The Management has been very good with helping me when I am behind due to overload of work. They have tried to accomodate with the work hours so I can balance my home life with work life. I have been doing records for a long time and have developed high organizational skills, how to deal with the public, and how to multi-task.
In most ways for most of the 32 years, avery rewarding job.
Transit Operator - City of Calgary (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 7, 2014
Overall, a good 32 years with the City of Calgary. I love driving and interacting with the public brought me great satisfaction. Met many fabulous, interesting people from all over the world
Pros
interacting with public. doing what i liked to do (drive)
Cons
for me there were no cons other than perhaps the odd problem passenger
Interesting place to work, but there is a huge disconnect between upper Management and the regular employees.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2012
Upper Management really needs to be more organized and realistic. If Management doesn't want employees to work late then they should be concise with their requests and expectations.
Pros
job security, although the union only seems to protect the lazy and useless employees.
Cons
the management disconnect that seems to occur within every business unit.
Great employees to work with
Repair man / Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 18, 2013
Working in Roads division, Bridge maintenance. The role of my employment with the city was many things, I did roles such as: Graffiti removal, Sand blasting, Pressure washing, Jack Hammering, Concrete mixing, pouring, and finishing, Asphalt repair work, Also a lot of the work done in these positions involved roads closure on busy streets within city limits. Very rewarding in the aspect of learning new skills.
Seasonal job
Park Maintance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2013
With working with the city of Calgary, was a great experience learning about park maintenance and working with a team.

Machinery (trimmer)
Learning about different flowers, trees, and how to trim or cut different plants.

Hardest part was lifting heavy product, in the hot heat
Most enjoyable was working in the sun and being outside, and working with your crew.
Pros
good benefits, fruit days, and special lunch days
Cons
working in hot heat
Awesome, best place I have ever worked, best managers
Law & Finance Civil Administrative Public Servant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 24, 2014
- I learned to use various software used by The City of Calgary in a short amount of time
- Very flexible environment
- Family first and they are able to allow time off when you have a family emergency
- Great balance of work and life
- Relaxing atmosphere, stress free
Pros
1.5 hours lunch, every 3 weeks you get a paid "raww" day off, very flexible.
Enjoyed variety in job, respect of mgt and cooperation of fellow employees
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 18, 2013
Set my priorities for work to be done with little direction after training in policies and procedures. Fellow employees generally had lots of experience and this was respected by management and co-workers. Learned about departments and what they actually do. Worked in small teams to cross train, so we could help and cover for each other as necessary. Sometimes differences in union agreements could be challenging although employer was working on making all agreements more similar. The people I worked with were terrific, management always helpful, interaction with outside staff always timely and cooperation was great.
Pros
4 day, 35 hour work week
Cons
travel time to and from work

City of Calgary Reviews by Location