City of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

I enjoy my work and a job well done. Sometimes a change can help a person grow and that is what I am looking for.
Records Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 25, 2012
I enjoy my positin with the City of Calgary. I enjoy the activity I have with the customers and the challenge this position offers. I have been doing this positon now heading for 16 years. My co-workers are very co-operative and easy to work with. The Management has been very good with helping me when I am behind due to overload of work. They have tried to accomodate with the work hours so I can balance my home life with work life. I have been doing records for a long time and have developed high organizational skills, how to deal with the public, and how to multi-task.
I enjoyed working there.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2015
It was good experience working at the city. I enjoyed the management, and gained quite a lot of valuable knowledge from my time there.
Pros
City Work
Cons
Not enough hours
Flexible hours and in enjoyable
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2015
Typical day of work varies through the duties that we do. When trains are closed for maintenance, I am working on the platform directing people to the shuttle busses. I count people coming in and out of trains at various stops within the city. I also count people in busses and trains.
Pros
Easy, money
Cons
Sometimes have to work early morning/late night
Weight room
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2014
Intense work with decisions that have to made within seconds to periods of being uneventful or idol.

Shift work is a way of life compounded by working nights and being required to be in a Court of Law in the morning or afternoon then back to night shift with usual high expectations not to be compromised.

Twenty six year's is difficult to paraphrase in a review how ever decisions were a way of life.
From a citizen asking if they ay park in a certain spot to being first at Homicide scenes and doing emergency entries in high risk situation's.

As senior man I was constantly asked to do relief Supervisor work which embodied Supervising all Constables in downtown Calgary and being incident commander at major situations.
Pros
no free lunch. good weight room
Cons
long hours without warnng and working nights then days in court.
Good job but can be very stressful at times
Foreman/Gardener (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2015
Good work. Good people to work with. Job is seasonal so it starts out slow, then gets very busy and hectic in mid summer. It gets slow
at the end of the season. Then you get laid off. You get swamped with work from Victoria Day weekend until Labour Day weekend.
Pros
good work, money, and benefits
Cons
over stressed some times
Interesting place to work, but there is a huge disconnect between upper Management and the regular employees.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2012
Upper Management really needs to be more organized and realistic. If Management doesn't want employees to work late then they should be concise with their requests and expectations.
Pros
job security, although the union only seems to protect the lazy and useless employees.
Cons
the management disconnect that seems to occur within every business unit.
Great job
Big Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2015
I enjoyed the people on a daily basis, loved driving the units, found the training program excellent. The salary is amazing along w ith benefits. the hardest part was learning route within 24 hr notice every day.
Pros
Salary
Cons
treated like a number
LOVED IT, it was a ton of fun
Youth Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 13, 2014
A typical day at work would begin playing games or sports with young kids. This position has taught me allot, such as How to be patient and more understanding. It has helped me to be more myself and to become not so afraid to let the "kid in me" get out and just have some fun once in a while.

The hardest part of my position here was thinking of creative and intuitive ways to coach muay Thai to the youngsters. Even though I have been the sport for so many years, coaching it is a whole other level. It definitely helped me with my presentation skills. A second difficult thing to deal with was preventing and stopping, both with the individual being bullied and the individual being the bully. It was not fun. Very sad to see someone becoming so assumed of themselves because someone was putting them down.

My co-workers were a blast! Every Friday night after teen nights all the staff went out for pizza at a pizza place next door. Everyone hung out. The culture was amazing.
Pros
group gatherings, tons of interesting opportunities, being a positive role model for youth
Cons
being done at work at 1230 am on a friday night, needing more direction, more training
Reliable, consistent Job, good work life balance.
Plant maintenance (Current Employee) –  waterservicesJune 21, 2014
The job very steady, working a consistent shift. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful. The pace is a lot slower than I am used to, there is very much a union mentality, nothing gets done before start time. Hanging around waiting for direction and morning meetings really absorb most of the mornings time. If you are willing to put in 7 years< there maybe a possibility of advancement, but that is if you are not superseded by a worker from another department or plant that has more seniority than you.

The work is fairly typical and routine, very hard to think out side the box as other co-workers shut you down due to the union scope of work and what they feel that they should do for the pay that they receive. The hourly wage is very good for working in Calgary, although there is a lot of deductions which bring your take home to an exist able level. Unfortunately Overtime is very scarce, your basic wage is really what have to consider normal, any OT is a bonus.

On the up side, your deductions go towards a very good health care program. A lot of you weekly money gets deducted for a pension which is match plus more by the city. Short and long term sick, standard 2 weeks holiday after a year.
Pros
pension and good benifits, good worklife balance
Cons
no ot, little room for advancement, old school managment and work ideas.
Job security
Planner (Current Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 21, 2013
Lots of stuff to do. If you like working for the community this is for you. Many ops for advancement, career development and freedom to be creative. But is heavily influenced by unions and there are a few bad elements that abuse the system. Working silos seems to be the norm and too many bosses to please.
Pros
job security, compensation
Cons
lack of a strategic mgmt plan, bureocracy.
Productive and fun workplace
Parks Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 5, 2013
The City of Calgary is a diverse and inclusive workplace. Working for The City means exceptional benefits, a defined pension plan, work and life balance, learning and development opportunities, and multiple career paths.
Great Job
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Loved my job there. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the coworkers, but wished there was more job security and stability. Unfortunatley I was laid off.
Enjoyed variety in job, respect of mgt and cooperation of fellow employees
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 18, 2013
Set my priorities for work to be done with little direction after training in policies and procedures. Fellow employees generally had lots of experience and this was respected by management and co-workers. Learned about departments and what they actually do. Worked in small teams to cross train, so we could help and cover for each other as necessary. Sometimes differences in union agreements could be challenging although employer was working on making all agreements more similar. The people I worked with were terrific, management always helpful, interaction with outside staff always timely and cooperation was great.
Pros
4 day, 35 hour work week
Cons
travel time to and from work
Very nice people to work with.
Records Management Technician & Document Managment (Former Employee) –  Human ResourcesFebruary 3, 2014
-Start at 6 A.M. file aprox. 200 documents after preparation, many hours of computer work and dealing with our customers all day long.
-excellent people skills, computer skills
-co-workers are great people to work with and very helpful
-finding coverage so I can have breaks and putting in long hours
-I know my job very well and take pride in doing a good job. I find many opportunities to execute my talents and knowledge with this company. I call them my work family.
Pros
compressed work weeks, provided nice vacation time
Cons
at times, long hours, large work load
Calgary coach wworks
Census Taker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2012
I enjoyed my time at this shop.In my time with this company.IN my time with this company worked in several positions, I started in the re-finish shop and worked my way up the position of working shop fore man.The management and staff were fun, supportive ,encouraging,and skilled in all assets of th9is organization.There were very long days and many a week of six and seven day weeks.I always enjoyed delivering the automobiles. after it was re-paired and seeing mine and my fellow co workers skilled repairs
Pros
a very strong company
Cons
the lack of home and family time
great salary/benefits poor management
911 Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 2, 2013
Great organization in many ways, great co-workers, however many cases of the wrong individuals getting promoted.
benefits
Cons
management
Decent Job
Community Shuttle Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2015
Good part-time job with flexibility and great benefits and pay given the position
Pros
low stress, flexibility, good people, benefits
Cons
occasional split shifts
good
Custodian & yard maintenance labour (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 6, 2015
I had a good experience working for them as I continued to learn how to Landscape, prune trees & shrubs and I loved the atmosphere and I also enjoyed working as a custodian at the Arts Center.......
Great summer position
Rail Systems Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work would involve me sitting at my desk and working with microsoft excel, word and access. I would help the Certified Engineering Technologists and Professional Engineers with various tasks. Also when there is free time they would take me out on site and see the LRT system that they are responsible for.
A normal day in Finance at The City of Calgary - CFS
Accounting Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 13, 2013
- Scanning, PO's, Statistical Analysis; Mail; Treasury; Cheque-runs; Filling; Procurement; ERP System updates; Livelink

- Management always made it easy for me while studying in school. They gave me as many opportunities as they could while I was working as an Accounting Business Analyst.

- Hardest Part of the Job: Able to find permanent role.

- Most enjoyable: Management were friendly!
Pros
easy work environement
Cons
hard to find permanent work

4.2