City of Calgary Employee Reviews

city review
Middleware Integration Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
its a good place to work due to the kind of leaders I have

I know some people don't have this to say but I am grateful for the kind of leadership I have
great place to work.
Waste Management & Recycling (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2017
My job had me moving around a lot. From working as a helper on a chemical truck. Going to different fire halls. And pickup up chemicals and returning to base. Everyone has each others back. When one person had an off day. The rest of us would pick up the slack. Like most outside jobs Weather was always the down side of the job.But Formans always came to the rescue. Great job never wanted to leave. cut back with the city.Lots of jobs lost in waste management/roads/parks this past year.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
working in the rain
Great teamwork to get the job done
LRV Maintenance-Service Lane Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
As a Service Lane Attendant you learn how to work as a team. It is a very fast paced work environment, but you must always work safe at all times. We do various campaigns on the trains every week, which means we may lift seats and clear out garbage underneath or we may clean the light fixtures in the U2 vehicles. This is difficult physical work but we get the job complete. My favourite part of the job is getting the opportunity to drive and park the trains.
Pros
4 days on 3 days off
Cons
Late nights
Great Place to work
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
The City of Calgary provides a stable work environment. Key to longevity in this work is consistency. Reliable workers stay longer and go further.

At times there are inconsistencies between policy and job demands. This is common when those responsible for policy are not on the front line.

Friendly atmosphere in the department I worked
Pros
Benefits, stable, consistent expectations
Cons
Beauracracy. Top heavy. Different departments determine your long term expectations.
Great workplace
Traffic Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2017
It was a great place to work at. great management and good co-workers. learned a lot about traffic engineering and traffic management center. Also I met a lot of great people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2017
Good company to work for. Have good work culture. Very much everyone cooperative and helpful, and overall good place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job, is looking forward to go to work.
Gym
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2017
The building that I worked in had a fantastic gym facility that was accessible year round. The fee was very reasonable and there was also a fitness instructor available for tips and suggestions on my fitness goal.
Fair employer
Junior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2017
I was only there for a summer position, but I felt I learned a decent amount from working there. I would not call my time with them exceptional in any particular way, but the overall experience was a positive one and I would definitely work there again if given the opportunity.
Pros
Nothing horrible, fair wage, solid management
Cons
Nothing amazing, felt my being there wasn't really noticed
Job and the people are great
Senior Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 March 2017
Job and the people I work with are great. I wouldn't say that about the management and their treatment of the operators. The hours make traveling to work much easier in the busy Calgary traffic.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
Traffic operator, Labourer and scale personnel (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2017
work well with others,
able to multi-task,
able to follow directions accurately,
excellent customer care assistance,
I am a quick learner.
Pros
cares greatly for customer service
Cons
no overtime
Interesting place to work at. Good job atmosphere.
Buyer - Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Calgary6 February 2017
The City gave me the opportunity to grow in my professional procurement experience. It exposed me to great projects that have a positive impact on the lives of many Calgarians.

I highly recommend the city.
Pros
every second Friday off. Stable.
Cons
slow career progression
Good Company to work
Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
It was temporary assignment for a short period of a week only. Team members were very supportive. I wish I would have been worked for a long time with this company.
311 Call Centre
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2017
Work at the call centre can be hectic at times when call volumes are high but the pay is very good for customer service work and the benefits are excellent. The environment is very supportive thanks to management and it is truly like working with a close-knit family. You are left to make your own decisions and you are fully supported in doing that. Unfortunately, I had to move on after a limited term ended so I do wish there was more room for advancement/job security but other than that, I would highly recommend working at The City of Calgary.
Pros
Great management, great benefits, good work environment
Cons
Hectic pace during periods of high call volumes.
Friendly atmosphere with competitive employees and fair management
ASSESSMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
The City of Calgary was professional and upheld a high quality standards which in turn produced positive results. The workload was well spread throughout the employees and management was very accommodating if help was needed.
Pros
Benefits, accommodating atmosphere, no overtime necessary
Cons
Lack of parking
a very well run IT shop
Manager, Strategic Business Technology Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 December 2016
The City of Calgary of IT shop is one of the best to work. The staff are very knowledgeable, professional and innovative.

Leadership provides great direction and have a solid plan on how to provide a very high quality of service to the citizens of Calgary.
Offer different opportunities
Business Strategist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 December 2016
Opportunity to participate in change and innovation. Work culture strenghthen and supported by the leadership team. Learning and development opportunities available.
I am a Seasonal worker and I would would like to work full time.
Supervise Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2016
I worked in an area for several years. This year the City
changed all the areas and crews.

They are also subcontracting a lot of the Parks operations.
My job will likely be phased out in the next couple of years.

I enjoy working with plants and growing. I supervised crews and worked right along with them to achieve success.

I also operate a small home business greenhouse and have achieved success with my endeavours.
Pros
Enjoyed the area I was working in
Cons
No room for advancement or getting a full time position
Great, challenging work for students
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2016
The City of Calgary Swim Instructor position is a fun, flexible and empowering job. Instructors get to work with kids, adults and seniors in a linear progressive program that branches of as swimming ability improves.
Fun work, decent pay, great people
Climbing Instructor (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, AB24 October 2016
I have enjoyed basically everything about my current job with the City. I like my co-workers and all of my bosses, and especially the kids. I've learned a lot about dealing with parents/customers and how to try and settle conflicts. I like everything about my job, its just not enough hours for me currently.
Pros
Great management and environment
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Learning experience
Customer Contact Rep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2016
I have lived in Calgary all my life and working at 311 Customer Contact Centre has expanded my city knowledge. There were days when I would take the same call inquires and other days, I would learn more each day.
Pros
No sales targets, customer service experience, great people to work with, like family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2