City of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

Best Compnay
Administrator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 22, 2016
Overall Best company with good people to work.Learn new software like JDE and how to organize things on priority basis. Had good health benefits
Pros
Best COmpany
Cons
Management changed
Great place to start
HUMAN RESOURCES ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 12, 2016
I started my career with The City over nine years ago. I started in an inbound Human Resources Service Centre and worked my way up until I reached HR Analyst. The best part of my job is working with my clients and working on complex and challenging cases. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others. A typical day at The City includes phone calls, lots of emails and drop ins with inquiries, cases and project work. Then there are meetings to learn and share from colleagues, talk to the Director and regular meetings with clients. I feel blessed to have worked at such a great company and would like to move out East to learn a new culture, processes, collective agreements, etc.
Pros
Own office, parking, co-workers, relationship building, flexible, great benefits, pension, vacation and pay
Cons
Far from family
Very professional place to work
Senior Energy Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 11, 2016
Excellent work and life balance. Great package and compensation. Flexible management. If you like to grow you always have an opportunity to work around. Professional growth is their number one priority.
Satisfactory
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
Great place to work. Shift work is an issue. Management is a little off, they could have managers/foreman that are more qualified. A lot to learn between equipment, learning to work with crews, growing.
Good
IT Admin Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2016
GGGreat work and experience with opportunities to advance with strategic qualifications and experience. Excellent hours and benefits to participate in several activities with colleagues.
good working conditions
Water Meter Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 28, 2016
enjoyed my career there,forced to leave to care for ailing father! hours were conducive to my family life,as well as my golfing endeavors.
Pros
work schedule, camrodorie, overall atmosphere.
Cons
management, location.
Aweful management team
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
People who sit and do nothing but good at talking climb the corporate ladder quickly while people who does work were stuck in corner and was told to shut up otherwise got kicked out.
Pros
Cons
Talented people are eventually drive off the environment. Politics prevails quality work.
Recreation Leader II
Recreation Leader II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
- Responsible for a large number of children at day camps, the children were 3-12 years of age
- Ensure safe environment for all children; clear area of physical dangers
- Plan and organize crafts and activities for the children
- Explain and ensure children follow the rules of the programs
- Lead and organize the children in fun and safe activities
Learned alot of new things, example maintanence of lawn care and hand tools.
Yard Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
Really enjoyed showing up for work daily M-F from 8am-4pm was very well respected and really enjoyed new things which I use daily on my own lawn care maintenance and was able to teach my teenage son and my 10 year old son, much useful skill I could share with family.

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for your review, happy to hear the new skills you learned at work can be applied at home too!

Enjoyable work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 24, 2016
Working for the City of Calgary is an experience. If you have heard a joke about a city worker it is probably true. That being said government work is a catch 22 of management trying to accomplish their mandate inside a framework that limits their ability to do it efficiently.
The pay and benefits were good. The allowed sick time was almost criminal (to the benefit of the worker).
The hardest part was watching tax dollars at work.
benefits
Cons
union vs management
Best place I have ever worked
Administrative Assistant Risk and Claims (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Everyone is so nice and supportive. All the managers treat you like an equal. The work is simple, and if you don't know something and ask they will explain why and how something is done the way it is.
Pros
Great environment

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for the review, we're glad you enjoy working for The City and helping to make Calgary better every day.

Excellent work environment with excellent people.
Urban Forestry (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2015
It was an excellent work environment with great supervisors and excellent culture. It was excellent salary and great work.
I love working for the City
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 13, 2015
Work/Life Balance is top-notch. Salary/Benefits are comprable to most other organizations. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
The culture can be depressing at times (lots of entitled union folks) and the top management likes to preach one thing, then do the opposite. But that's really the only downside.
Enjoyable work in Public Sector
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Customer Service has been a major interest for me. Helping passengers get to where they want to go. Rewarding career to be able to operate a large vehicle and have contact with people. Highlights of civic events, and the excitement of the attendees.
Pros
Flexibility of being able to work without close supervision. Empowerment.
Cons
Long hours between job shifts, split shifts
great place to work with great people
Traffic Marker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
The city of Calgary is a great place to work. I take great pride in just saying that I work for the city. My job is fun steady and always different. If I could find year round work with the city it would be amazing, due to my current job only being a summer time job. My co workers are great I have allot of fun working with them. The hardest part of my job is dealing with on coming traffic, and the crazy speeds. The most enjoyable part is the environment that the city provides. Its safe and well maintained.
Pros
Benefits are awesome
Cons
working nights with a new born in house
Extremely diverse, ever changing culture
Coordinator - Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 9, 2015
I have had a long standing career with The City of Calgary and have had many opportunities. The most rewarding aspects have been the people I lead and support on a daily basis
Pros
I love the work I do and the people I work with
Cons
Commute to downtown Calgary - just moving to Okotoks I would enjoy something more local
Amazing
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  City HallSeptember 9, 2015
Working at the City Of Calgary was one of the best places I have ever worked. I am a single mom their understanding and flexibility definitely made things easier on my home life.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Great place to work and opportunities for advancment
Journeyman Truck and Transport Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2015
Enjoyable to go to work everyday due to the great team work environment. There was always support available from supervisors and computers when we had questions, also enjoyed working with the co-workers.
Flexible hours and in enjoyable
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2015
Typical day of work varies through the duties that we do. When trains are closed for maintenance, I am working on the platform directing people to the shuttle busses. I count people coming in and out of trains at various stops within the city. I also count people in busses and trains.
Pros
Easy, money
Cons
Sometimes have to work early morning/late night
Great Co-workers , The experience can be a one of learning .
Landscape Labourer / Irrigation Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2015
Day to day work load would change , using vast experience to meet the demand of the task of the day . Operated many pieces of equipment would perform routine maintenance of equipment . Gardening , Pruning were ordinary tasks of the day . Irrigation work was an interesting experience at the City . Management at the department was always in a chaotic state more reactive than proactive .When I worked in Irrigation found the management to be very good and proactive . My time there with my co-workers were enjoyable we had a very easy going workplace atmosphere in all departments , conflicts were rare . Challenges presented themselves when working on re mounting and installing the headstones due to the ground was always difficult . When completion of task that impacted others and hearing the feedback was a rewarding experience .
Pros
the work shift, co- workers, feedback from the public
Cons
rare and infrequent visits from the management, inconsistent work schedule

City of Calgary Reviews by Location