City of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyable work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 24, 2016
Working for the City of Calgary is an experience. If you have heard a joke about a city worker it is probably true. That being said government work is a catch 22 of management trying to accomplish their mandate inside a framework that limits their ability to do it efficiently.
The pay and benefits were good. The allowed sick time was almost criminal (to the benefit of the worker).
The hardest part was watching tax dollars at work.
benefits
Cons
union vs management
I love working for the City
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 13, 2015
Work/Life Balance is top-notch. Salary/Benefits are comprable to most other organizations. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
The culture can be depressing at times (lots of entitled union folks) and the top management likes to preach one thing, then do the opposite. But that's really the only downside.
great place to work with great people
Traffic Marker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
The city of Calgary is a great place to work. I take great pride in just saying that I work for the city. My job is fun steady and always different. If I could find year round work with the city it would be amazing, due to my current job only being a summer time job. My co workers are great I have allot of fun working with them. The hardest part of my job is dealing with on coming traffic, and the crazy speeds. The most enjoyable part is the environment that the city provides. Its safe and well maintained.
Pros
Benefits are awesome
Cons
working nights with a new born in house
Excellent work environment with excellent people.
Urban Forestry (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2015
It was an excellent work environment with great supervisors and excellent culture. It was excellent salary and great work.
Great place to start
HUMAN RESOURCES ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 12, 2016
I started my career with The City over nine years ago. I started in an inbound Human Resources Service Centre and worked my way up until I reached HR Analyst. The best part of my job is working with my clients and working on complex and challenging cases. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others. A typical day at The City includes phone calls, lots of emails and drop ins with inquiries, cases and project work. Then there are meetings to learn and share from colleagues, talk to the Director and regular meetings with clients. I feel blessed to have worked at such a great company and would like to move out East to learn a new culture, processes, collective agreements, etc.
Pros
Own office, parking, co-workers, relationship building, flexible, great benefits, pension, vacation and pay
Cons
Far from family
Middle of the road, hold back workers, promote political correct.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary Transit Call CentreMay 15, 2015
if you are satisfied with doing just the least in life, and don't want to be challenged then the City can work for you however if you strife to want to make a difference in life and lead it is a very poor place to work. I retired from there now went and trained in safety to add to my knowledge and experience base to work for 4 or 5 more years to try and enjoy all the things I could not while working at the City. The one thing I did enjoy about the City was the people I was able to help the workers I supervised and coached, trained, and I have to admit it did provide me with employment, education,& benefits. I did start and stop three time in my career with the City. They liked me & it worked for me. Now set me FREE.
Pros
Always training
Cons
Politics
Enjoyable work in Public Sector
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Customer Service has been a major interest for me. Helping passengers get to where they want to go. Rewarding career to be able to operate a large vehicle and have contact with people. Highlights of civic events, and the excitement of the attendees.
Pros
Flexibility of being able to work without close supervision. Empowerment.
Cons
Long hours between job shifts, split shifts
Aweful management team
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
People who sit and do nothing but good at talking climb the corporate ladder quickly while people who does work were stuck in corner and was told to shut up otherwise got kicked out.
Pros
Cons
Talented people are eventually drive off the environment. Politics prevails quality work.
Very professional place to work
Senior Energy Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 11, 2016
Excellent work and life balance. Great package and compensation. Flexible management. If you like to grow you always have an opportunity to work around. Professional growth is their number one priority.
Best Compnay
Administrator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 22, 2016
Overall Best company with good people to work.Learn new software like JDE and how to organize things on priority basis. Had good health benefits
Pros
Best COmpany
Cons
Management changed
Satisfactory
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
Great place to work. Shift work is an issue. Management is a little off, they could have managers/foreman that are more qualified. A lot to learn between equipment, learning to work with crews, growing.
Stable, good paying job for retirement
Journeyman 1 Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
I enjoy working for the City of Calgary, it is a great employer with a ton of great benefits. A typical day consists of repair of multiple components on transit buses from front to back, top to bottom (excluding body work). My knowledge has certainly grown since starting with the city, my greatly in my understanding and ability to diagnose and repair electrical systems, drive system (axles etc.) not common to North America and management and interaction with fellow employees.The Hardest part of my job is the hours I work (time of day not quantity) and the most enjoyable part is the satisfaction I get from my contribution to the bigger picture of Calgary Transit.
Pros
good pension, benefits, relaxed work environment
Cons
slow movement in advancement
Recreation Leader II
Recreation Leader II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
- Responsible for a large number of children at day camps, the children were 3-12 years of age
- Ensure safe environment for all children; clear area of physical dangers
- Plan and organize crafts and activities for the children
- Explain and ensure children follow the rules of the programs
- Lead and organize the children in fun and safe activities
Salary and security are Great, but if you like Gardening this is not the job for you.
Gardener (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2013
This is a Secure job with great benefits and pay is decent (thou the intro rate is actually more like 29.50). If you enjoy working with plants and taking pride in your job then look else where. This is basically an outdoor janitor position in which you will be pooped on by the bosses and public. If you can hang in there for a decade or so (of only 6 months a year) then maybe you will become Fulltime (but dont hold your breath). The 4 or 3 day work week offers a good work/life balence but the 6 months off a year is hard to take. Have seen many of my quailifed friends leave for more satisfying positions else where.
Pros
benefits, work/life balence
Cons
seasonal, not much actual horticulture, lies, and more lies from management
good working conditions
Water Meter Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 28, 2016
enjoyed my career there,forced to leave to care for ailing father! hours were conducive to my family life,as well as my golfing endeavors.
Pros
work schedule, camrodorie, overall atmosphere.
Cons
management, location.
Good
IT Admin Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2016
GGGreat work and experience with opportunities to advance with strategic qualifications and experience. Excellent hours and benefits to participate in several activities with colleagues.
Learned alot of new things, example maintanence of lawn care and hand tools.
Yard Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
Really enjoyed showing up for work daily M-F from 8am-4pm was very well respected and really enjoyed new things which I use daily on my own lawn care maintenance and was able to teach my teenage son and my 10 year old son, much useful skill I could share with family.

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for your review, happy to hear the new skills you learned at work can be applied at home too!

Good job but can be very stressful at times
Foreman/Gardener (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2015
Good work. Good people to work with. Job is seasonal so it starts out slow, then gets very busy and hectic in mid summer. It gets slow
at the end of the season. Then you get laid off. You get swamped with work from Victoria Day weekend until Labour Day weekend.
Pros
good work, money, and benefits
Cons
over stressed some times
Great job
Big Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2015
I enjoyed the people on a daily basis, loved driving the units, found the training program excellent. The salary is amazing along w ith benefits. the hardest part was learning route within 24 hr notice every day.
Pros
Salary
Cons
treated like a number
Best place I have ever worked
Administrative Assistant Risk and Claims (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Everyone is so nice and supportive. All the managers treat you like an equal. The work is simple, and if you don't know something and ask they will explain why and how something is done the way it is.
Pros
Great environment

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for the review, we're glad you enjoy working for The City and helping to make Calgary better every day.

City of Calgary Reviews by Location