City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
variety opportunity to learn new skills many areas to learn
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Corporate PropertiesAugust 26, 2014
Pros: a great place to work providing great challenges to produce great work
each day brought opportunity to learn new skills, eg website updates, communications process internal and external, a unique opportunity to interact with Citizens, City Council,MLA's, creative services, working with co-workers on projects such as land, buildings. the great opportunity to learn new processes and skills
Amazing opportunity!
Records Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 29, 2014
I was hired on through a temp agency and it was a unique and amazing first experience in an office environment. I learned about privacy issues and professionalism. Not easy to get in to, a lot of hard work to become employed, but a rich experience and eye opener.
Enjoyable work
Special Events Crew (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 22, 2014
Pros: work expirience, hands on work
Cons: casual hours only
I enjoyed doing different events and mixing up the tasks for events. The hands on work reinforced my love of being busy and seeing a task completed.
Worst Employer
Class 3 Truck Driver (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 16, 2014
I have nothing good to say about working for the City of Calgary. Benefits and Pension are a joke. The Union is neutered.
Great work schedule and environment
Water Services Laborer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2014
Lots of opportunities with the city of calgary,
extensive paid for training so that you are comfortable at your job.
Reliable, consistent Job, good work life balance.
Plant maintenance (Current Employee), waterservicesJune 21, 2014
Pros: pension and good benifits, good worklife balance
Cons: no ot, little room for advancement, old school managment and work ideas.
The job very steady, working a consistent shift. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful. The pace is a lot slower than I am used to, there is very much a union mentality, nothing gets done before start time. Hanging around waiting for direction and morning meetings really absorb most of the mornings time. If you are willing to put in 7 years< there – more... maybe a possibility of advancement, but that is if you are not superseded by a worker from another department or plant that has more seniority than you.

The work is fairly typical and routine, very hard to think out side the box as other co-workers shut you down due to the union scope of work and what they feel that they should do for the pay that they receive. The hourly wage is very good for working in Calgary, although there is a lot of deductions which bring your take home to an exist able level. Unfortunately Overtime is very scarce, your basic wage is really what have to consider normal, any OT is a bonus.

On the up side, your deductions go towards a very good health care program. A lot of you weekly money gets deducted for a pension which is match plus more by the city. Short and long term sick, standard 2 weeks holiday after a year. – less
busy/ ethical.
SANITATION ENG./DRIVER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 10, 2014
Pros: pro’s are that everything i do has to be done just right.
Cons: con: are the same, if job is not done right i’m not satisfied.
Most of the best jobs IV had, there was good communication from management to staff.
My co-workers and I learned about good values each of us had that could benefit us all. Hard things would be having to tell someone that there is a better or faster way and if they would disagree we would proceed there way then as agreed we would try it my way, most – more... of the time this would work and work became more fun as we did things better and everyone was satisfied all around. – less
Awesome, best place I have ever worked, best managers
Law & Finance Civil Administrative Public Servant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 24, 2014
Pros: 1.5 hours lunch, every 3 weeks you get a paid "raww" day off, very flexible.
- I learned to use various software used by The City of Calgary in a short amount of time
- Very flexible environment
- Family first and they are able to allow time off when you have a family emergency
- Great balance of work and life
- Relaxing atmosphere, stress free
Great culture and mix of people.
Secretary (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 23, 2014
Pros: challenge, variety and good learning opportunities.
Cons: no negative aspects to the job!
Thoroughly enjoyed working here. It was a contract position and I temporarily moved to Nanaimo after a 1 year term.
Great colleagues, great kids
Youth Leader (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 17, 2014
Awesome place to work. The colleagues were amazing and always made the work day fun.
Never a dull day at work
311 Call Centre Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 7, 2014
Very entertaining line of work. Bit of a dull work environment though. Nonetheless, had a enjoyable time working there.
proactive fun workplace
Community Bus Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 6, 2014
Pros: good life style
Cons: split shift
working for the city of Calgary , was so much fun and exciting, it was always positive , meeting new people, and driving different communities every day, new challenges . The management was awesome and co-workers was very nice.
Good overall
Emergency Communications Officer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 23, 2014
Good Overall. Salary and Benefits are worthwhile but working shift work has it's sacrifices.
Excellent workplace
1) Management Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 16, 2014
I liked working at The City. It was a great work place.
* My first experience of working with the government
* Complex reporting structures etc
Productive, workschedule is not very flexable due to nature of work.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 3, 2014
I enjoyed working with my coworkers and their willingness to help each other make the day enjoyable. I didn't like the micromanagement and it can be improved in the future.
Exciting workplace
Emergency Communications Officer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 28, 2014
Answer inquiries over the phone from citizens dealing with high levels of stress.
very nice workplace
Building maintenance-repairs employee (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2014
everyday you live as a new day ,nice company to work for and one of the largest employer in alberta
Well-rounded organization, dedicated to serving citizens
Issue Strategist & Industry Liaison (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2014
Excellent work options (work from home, compressed work week, flexible work hours)
Opportunities for continuous learning
Opportunities for job movement
Fast paced, challenging, diverse writing/editing opportunities
Customer Service & Communications,writer/editor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: loved my job and excelled at it
Never woke up not wanting to go to work. Participated in TV, radio and print campaigns. See resume for full duties.
over all great place to work
Accounts Payable Analyst (Chief Financial Office) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2014
learned a great deal. excellent place to work, data entry of lots of invoices, auditing

1 2 3

About City of Calgary

The City of Calgary manages the quality and delivery of our water supply - from the river, to our taps and back to the river. – Read more