City of Calgary Employee Reviews

Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2017
I've been with the City for 10 years. It has been a good experience and I've been able to advance my Career very well.
My shift is good now. My life and time with my child is very good.
The job has been a rewarding experience.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Different shifts
Over all a good place to work
Driver/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2017
Very respectful for the most part , reasonable wages , good benefits , good balance of work/life . good relations ship between front line workers and management.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
limited salary
fun job and able to meet and talk to people
Census Taker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2017
I worked as a census taker for 2017 and found this job is fun to have. I can work with and rearrange my own schedule in order to meet the deadline. Going door to door to collect information allowed me to meet and talk to different people. It also allows me to earn some income while doing my daily walk.
comfortable, fun , always learning work place
Life guard (Current Employee) –  city of Calgary8 June 2017
Positive part about this job is being able to create a bond with new people. Learning new and old things. Being apart of someone's life, and making a difference or not and helping someone through a difficult time.
I would like to work part time with an opportunity to work more if needed.
Being honest .. it has been a long time since I have applied for a job. I would love the opportunity to see where I can go.
Thankyou
Gillian
Pros
positive, moving forward, educating
Cons
negative working environment.
Good workplace-personal life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary29 May 2017
I have enjoyed working with the City as it has afforded me a good balance between my work and personal life. However, the evangelized values of Character, Competence, Commitment and Collaboration are, sadly, inconsistently practiced across the departments.
fun people and enjoyable work
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 May 2017
typical day consists of morning meetings with the foreman for the current days scheduling and tasks, different groups perform different tasks, we were responsible for planting flowers in city parks while maintaining them.
Pros
great pay
Cons
work in unpredictable weather heat/rain
overall great place
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
great place to work where the training never stops. Always room for advancement, and the benefits are pretty nice too. everyone there is friendly and will advise you on the do's an don'ts .
Pros
everything
Cons
seasonal work
A team oriented environment
Business Strategies Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
I was under the Facility Management. Facility management is currently building five (5) Recreational Facilities in the City of Calgary. 1 project worth over 100M and it is almost in completion this year. The other 4 projects have a budget of over 450M. These 4 projects will be completed within 2 years.
A great skills training job but it is temporary.
Yard worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
I enjoyed all aspects of this job. Everyone was approachable. The work was done at a medium pace and we all learned alot about our area (yard work). We were also given classes on minor repairs and painting. Once a month we had a guest speaker who talked on various life skills (budgeting to healthcare).
Pros
Everyone learned alot.
Cons
The job was not for everyone.
Great work environment however there is no job security for part-time employees and the operation was top heavy to say the least.
Integrated Pest Management-Parks & Recreation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2017
Though working with the city was a wonderful oppurtunity it provided very little job security for part-time employees and they never gave you a definitive answer as to whether or not they would be giving you a job again next season. There was never a point in time that i did not have a minimum of 3 foreman controlling a maximum of 12 people. I never actually figured out what they did during a day aside from call the crews for updates and meetings. All i can say is that i was blessed to be able to work with the city for the time i did but they really need to revise the ammount of management there.
Pros
high pay and great hours
Cons
confusing/vague and often contradicting orders from management
Working with youth during summer day camps
Youth Day Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2017
Long simple days working with young children during the summer. helped the camp leaders run games and activities for the children. Friendly fun environment.
Good stuff
Skating Instructor/ monitor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2017
UUUUUM I show up to the skatepark unlock it, sign kids in, ensure that they are wearing helmets. maybe teach the occasional skate lesson. But mostly just skateboard all day. what more can I say. Awesome summer job
Pros
Skateboarding all day
Cons
you get cooked in the sun
Rewarding Co-op experience in the public service area
Information Management Learning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2017
Conducted extensive research on E-learning options and patiently consulted with different E-learning specialists.

Designed interactive E-learning demos by using Adobe Captivate 8 and other software tools.

Successfully gave several formal presentations about my E-learning project to team members and stakeholders in
regular meetings.

Carefully prepared and compiled reports on recommendations.
Ranks 'Fiscal Responsibility' Above Workers
Clerical/Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2017
I was one of hundreds of administrative support professionals in a department caught in a fiscal restraint policy of The City of Calgary. My fellow support staff, many who had been in service to the City for 20+ years, and myself suddenly found ourselves bereft of employment, representation - and support - as we watched our department disappear and our services outsourced.
city review
Middleware Integration Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
its a good place to work due to the kind of leaders I have

I know some people don't have this to say but I am grateful for the kind of leadership I have
great place to work.
Waste Management & Recycling (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2017
My job had me moving around a lot. From working as a helper on a chemical truck. Going to different fire halls. And pickup up chemicals and returning to base. Everyone has each others back. When one person had an off day. The rest of us would pick up the slack. Like most outside jobs Weather was always the down side of the job.But Formans always came to the rescue. Great job never wanted to leave. cut back with the city.Lots of jobs lost in waste management/roads/parks this past year.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
working in the rain
Great teamwork to get the job done
LRV Maintenance-Service Lane Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
As a Service Lane Attendant you learn how to work as a team. It is a very fast paced work environment, but you must always work safe at all times. We do various campaigns on the trains every week, which means we may lift seats and clear out garbage underneath or we may clean the light fixtures in the U2 vehicles. This is difficult physical work but we get the job complete. My favourite part of the job is getting the opportunity to drive and park the trains.
Pros
4 days on 3 days off
Cons
Late nights
Great Place to work
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2017
The City of Calgary provides a stable work environment. Key to longevity in this work is consistency. Reliable workers stay longer and go further.

At times there are inconsistencies between policy and job demands. This is common when those responsible for policy are not on the front line.

Friendly atmosphere in the department I worked
Pros
Benefits, stable, consistent expectations
Cons
Beauracracy. Top heavy. Different departments determine your long term expectations.
Great workplace
Traffic Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2017
It was a great place to work at. great management and good co-workers. learned a lot about traffic engineering and traffic management center. Also I met a lot of great people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2017
Good company to work for. Have good work culture. Very much everyone cooperative and helpful, and overall good place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job, is looking forward to go to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2