City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent working environment, that provided me with an opportunity to help others, and make a positive impact in a certain sub-culture.
Skateboarding Instructor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 10, 2012
Pros: a job that payed me to do what i was passionate about, . was fulfilling in the fact that i could make a positive impact in many children s lives.
Cons: pay was not adequate enough to support my needs.
This was an excellent job in the fact that I was being employed to do what I loved, and use my passion as an instrument to help others. A typical day for me would include, arriving at one of the many mobile skate parks we had assembled around various communities in the city, and unlocking and positioning obstacles for the days activities. From there, me and another co-worker would teach a couple of the lessons scheduled for the day, each with a group of 10-18 kids per instructor. We would assess the children s skill levels, and base instruction accordingly. From there we would allow the children to have spare time where they could practice their newly learned skills, and converse and engage with them, until the parks closing time.
I learned much from this job in regards to responsibility, care taking, and customer service. Speaking with the many children and parents I engaged with on a day to day basis helped me learn much about people, and was character developing for myself. It truly is amazing how much you can learn from people, especially children.
The people I worked with were excellent individuals, with as much passion and drive as i had for this sport, which was refreshing. It seems hard to find jobs where people show up each day excited to be there and grow. The management was equally as energetic, and well organised.
Sadly the pay was close to minimum wage, which with my debt to school, and living expenses, was sub-adequate.
Reliable, consistent Job, good work life balance.
Plant maintenance (Current Employee), waterservicesJune 21, 2014
Pros: pension and good benifits, good worklife balance
Cons: no ot, little room for advancement, old school managment and work ideas.
The job very steady, working a consistent shift. My co-workers are very friendly and helpful. The pace is a lot slower than I am used to, there is very much a union mentality, nothing gets done before start time. Hanging around waiting for direction and morning meetings really absorb most of the mornings time. If you are willing to put in 7 years< there maybe a possibility of advancement, but that is if you are not superseded by a worker from another department or plant that has more seniority than you.

The work is fairly typical and routine, very hard to think out side the box as other co-workers shut you down due to the union scope of work and what they feel that they should do for the pay that they receive. The hourly wage is very good for working in Calgary, although there is a lot of deductions which bring your take home to an exist able level. Unfortunately Overtime is very scarce, your basic wage is really what have to consider normal, any OT is a bonus.

On the up side, your deductions go towards a very good health care program. A lot of you weekly money gets deducted for a pension which is match plus more by the city. Short and long term sick, standard 2 weeks holiday after a year.
LOVED IT, it was a ton of fun
Youth Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 13, 2014
Pros: group gatherings, tons of interesting opportunities, being a positive role model for youth
Cons: being done at work at 1230 am on a friday night, needing more direction, more training
A typical day at work would begin playing games or sports with young kids. This position has taught me allot, such as How to be patient and more understanding. It has helped me to be more myself and to become not so afraid to let the "kid in me" get out and just have some fun once in a while.

The hardest part of my position here was thinking of creative and intuitive ways to coach muay Thai to the youngsters. Even though I have been the sport for so many years, coaching it is a whole other level. It definitely helped me with my presentation skills. A second difficult thing to deal with was preventing and stopping, both with the individual being bullied and the individual being the bully. It was not fun. Very sad to see someone becoming so assumed of themselves because someone was putting them down.

My co-workers were a blast! Every Friday night after teen nights all the staff went out for pizza at a pizza place next door. Everyone hung out. The culture was amazing.
A safe, healthy and stable work environment.
Garbage/Recycling Collections Foreman (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2012
Pros: working and dealing with great people
Cons: working and dealing with people
It is quite typical to struggle when completing the scheduled day's work within the assigned shift. This can be attributed to weather, truck problems, occasional absenteeism, etc... This makes each day somewhat different from the previous one. One is constantly tested on everything that you think you have learned and this continues to augment your problem solving ability on a daily basis. Previous experience gained while working on the trucks in various capacities and subsequent courses help substantially in performing the tasks associated with being a foreman at the City of Calgary. Peer support is excellent while management has been very accommodating with my progression within the "City" and the experience has been extremely positive. The hardest part of the job is ironically also one of the most enjoyable parts as well… that being, working with people. Although training for a specific task is rewarding in of itself, the greater reward is garnered when you respect and have the respect of your peers, superiors and associates. In many ways this is an ideal work environment and hypothetically a person could work here until they are 85. However I have reached a point where I am seeking different horizons with different challenges.
An awesome job with lots to learn.
Designated Material Auditor/ Traffic Controller (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2013
Pros: work outdoors, challenging environment, good people
Cons: the landfill can smell pretty bad.
Working at a landfill there really isn't a "typical" day of work. Our site is the only industrial landfill in the city and is very fast paced. Therefore everyday is different and i can be called to do many roles at any time. Just the tip of the ice berg I screen commercial loads and report any designated materials that need to be recycled/disposed of properly. Transfer drivers hauling clean-fill to the appropriate locations, landscaping, working on the chem-truck collection hazardous materials from the city's fire halls. I have learned so many different skills working with the City of Calgary a few include waste composition studies, recording weekly compost temperatures and how to handle hazardous materials. My co-workers are all great especially because i like to take it upon my self to be the site motivater and keep everyone working together. The hardest part was due to the Alberta 2013 flood it was hard to see citizens bringing in all there belongings to be disposed of. The best part of my job is i get to multi-task , try new and challenging tasks and of course work outdoors in all conditons.
Weight room
Police Officer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2014
Pros: no free lunch. good weight room
Cons: long hours without warnng and working nights then days in court.
Intense work with decisions that have to made within seconds to periods of being uneventful or idol.

Shift work is a way of life compounded by working nights and being required to be in a Court of Law in the morning or afternoon then back to night shift with usual high expectations not to be compromised.

Twenty six year's is difficult to paraphrase in a review how ever decisions were a way of life.
From a citizen asking if they ay park in a certain spot to being first at Homicide scenes and doing emergency entries in high risk situation's.

As senior man I was constantly asked to do relief Supervisor work which embodied Supervising all Constables in downtown Calgary and being incident commander at major situations.
Great Co-workers , The experience can be a one of learning .
Landscape Labourer / Irrigation Worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 5, 2015
Pros: the work shift, co- workers, feedback from the public
Cons: rare and infrequent visits from the management, inconsistent work schedule
Day to day work load would change , using vast experience to meet the demand of the task of the day . Operated many pieces of equipment would perform routine maintenance of equipment . Gardening , Pruning were ordinary tasks of the day . Irrigation work was an interesting experience at the City . Management at the department was always in a chaotic state more reactive than proactive .When I worked in Irrigation found the management to be very good and proactive . My time there with my co-workers were enjoyable we had a very easy going workplace atmosphere in all departments , conflicts were rare . Challenges presented themselves when working on re mounting and installing the headstones due to the ground was always difficult . When completion of task that impacted others and hearing the feedback was a rewarding experience .
Middle of the road, hold back workers, promote political correct.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary Transit Call CentreMay 15, 2015
Pros: Always training
Cons: Politics
if you are satisfied with doing just the least in life, and don't want to be challenged then the City can work for you however if you strife to want to make a difference in life and lead it is a very poor place to work. I retired from there now went and trained in safety to add to my knowledge and experience base to work for 4 or 5 more years to try and enjoy all the things I could not while working at the City. The one thing I did enjoy about the City was the people I was able to help the workers I supervised and coached, trained, and I have to admit it did provide me with employment, education,& benefits. I did start and stop three time in my career with the City. They liked me & it worked for me. Now set me FREE.
Salary and security are Great, but if you like Gardening this is not the job for you.
Gardener (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: benefits, work/life balence
Cons: seasonal, not much actual horticulture, lies, and more lies from management
This is a Secure job with great benefits and pay is decent (thou the intro rate is actually more like 29.50). If you enjoy working with plants and taking pride in your job then look else where. This is basically an outdoor janitor position in which you will be pooped on by the bosses and public. If you can hang in there for a decade or so (of only 6 months a year) then maybe you will become Fulltime (but dont hold your breath). The 4 or 3 day work week offers a good work/life balence but the 6 months off a year is hard to take. Have seen many of my quailifed friends leave for more satisfying positions else where.
Enjoyed variety in job, respect of mgt and cooperation of fellow employees
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 18, 2013
Pros: 4 day, 35 hour work week
Cons: travel time to and from work
Set my priorities for work to be done with little direction after training in policies and procedures. Fellow employees generally had lots of experience and this was respected by management and co-workers. Learned about departments and what they actually do. Worked in small teams to cross train, so we could help and cover for each other as necessary. Sometimes differences in union agreements could be challenging although employer was working on making all agreements more similar. The people I worked with were terrific, management always helpful, interaction with outside staff always timely and cooperation was great.
Stable, good paying job for retirement
Journeyman 1 Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
Pros: good pension, benefits, relaxed work environment
Cons: slow movement in advancement
I enjoy working for the City of Calgary, it is a great employer with a ton of great benefits. A typical day consists of repair of multiple components on transit buses from front to back, top to bottom (excluding body work). My knowledge has certainly grown since starting with the city, my greatly in my understanding and ability to diagnose and repair electrical systems, drive system (axles etc.) not common to North America and management and interaction with fellow employees.The Hardest part of my job is the hours I work (time of day not quantity) and the most enjoyable part is the satisfaction I get from my contribution to the bigger picture of Calgary Transit.
I totally enjoyed working for the City of Calgary.
Traffic Marker - Temporary Traffic Control (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 6, 2012
Pros: a real brotherhood of like minded individuals.
Cons: a lot of different bosses to please.
My day began at 5 am when i would muster for morning role call. Meet up with my spotting crew, ready the supplies for the day, review the roads to be marked and then we would take the neccessary equipment out to the job site. Close the lanes, close the road, follow behind the paving crew or spot (paint) the road in live traffic.
The department i worked for was responsible for the whole city so the freedom to travel from 22x and spruce meadows to beddington and back to our shop on spring gardens was amazing.
Friendly colleagues, busy environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 26, 2013
Pros: busy
Cons: replacing reception
Took a refresher course in iRIMS, and SharePoint.
Job was easy to settle into as it was similar to what I did when working with the Federal Public Sector.
Learned that the approval system was more lax in comparison to the Federal Public Sector.
Difficult part of job: Having to keep an eye on the clock as it was my responsibility to relieve the reception from the desk for her breaks. It's easy to lose track of time when focusing on a particular project.
Most enjoyable part of the job: being busy, allowed the day to pass quickly. Colleagues had a good attitude providing humor in the workplace.
I enjoy my work and a job well done. Sometimes a change can help a person grow and that is what I am looking for.
Records Management Technician (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 25, 2012
I enjoy my positin with the City of Calgary. I enjoy the activity I have with the customers and the challenge this position offers. I have been doing this positon now heading for 16 years. My co-workers are very co-operative and easy to work with. The Management has been very good with helping me when I am behind due to overload of work. They have tried to accomodate with the work hours so I can balance my home life with work life. I have been doing records for a long time and have developed high organizational skills, how to deal with the public, and how to multi-task.
Variety of work, learning new protocols in each assignment.
TESA Contractor (HR) (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 6, 2012
Pros: variety of work.
Cons: commute.
I have been employed as a full-time temporary administrative assistant with The City of Calgary. This has provided me with several years' experience working in many different business units allowing me to cross-train in many areas. I have started many new assignments with little or no training thereby having to learn as I go. I have left a very positive impact on every business unit I have worked in. These included Calgary Police, Calgary Fire Department, Human Resources, Development and Building Approvals, to name a few.
Very nice people to work with.
Records Management Technician & Document Managment (Former Employee), Human ResourcesFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: compressed work weeks, provided nice vacation time
Cons: at times, long hours, large work load
-Start at 6 A.M. file aprox. 200 documents after preparation, many hours of computer work and dealing with our customers all day long.
-excellent people skills, computer skills
-co-workers are great people to work with and very helpful
-finding coverage so I can have breaks and putting in long hours
-I know my job very well and take pride in doing a good job. I find many opportunities to execute my talents and knowledge with this company. I call them my work family.
great place to work with great people
Traffic Marker (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Benefits are awesome
Cons: working nights with a new born in house
The city of Calgary is a great place to work. I take great pride in just saying that I work for the city. My job is fun steady and always different. If I could find year round work with the city it would be amazing, due to my current job only being a summer time job. My co workers are great I have allot of fun working with them. The hardest part of my job is dealing with on coming traffic, and the crazy speeds. The most enjoyable part is the environment that the city provides. Its safe and well maintained.
Calgary coach wworks
Census Taker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 30, 2012
Pros: a very strong company
Cons: the lack of home and family time
I enjoyed my time at this shop.In my time with this company.IN my time with this company worked in several positions, I started in the re-finish shop and worked my way up the position of working shop fore man.The management and staff were fun, supportive ,encouraging,and skilled in all assets of th9is organization.There were very long days and many a week of six and seven day weeks.I always enjoyed delivering the automobiles. after it was re-paired and seeing mine and my fellow co workers skilled repairs
Loved my job because I was always on the go
Store Person (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: i didn't have to dress up
Cons: your feet could get tired after a long day
I really enjoyed my time working with The City of Calgary. Everyday I would do something different. That's what I liked, no two days were ever the same. I love being busy and working hard. Sometimes the boxes were a little too heavy for me but the boys were great to help. I had a great boss.
A normal day in Finance at The City of Calgary - CFS
Accounting Business Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 13, 2013
Pros: easy work environement
Cons: hard to find permanent work
- Scanning, PO's, Statistical Analysis; Mail; Treasury; Cheque-runs; Filling; Procurement; ERP System updates; Livelink

- Management always made it easy for me while studying in school. They gave me as many opportunities as they could while I was working as an Accounting Business Analyst.

- Hardest Part of the Job: Able to find permanent role.

- Most enjoyable: Management were friendly!
Industry