City of Calgary Employee Reviews in Canada

I love working for the City
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 13, 2015
Work/Life Balance is top-notch. Salary/Benefits are comprable to most other organizations. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
The culture can be depressing at times (lots of entitled union folks) and the top management likes to preach one thing, then do the opposite. But that's really the only downside.
Enjoyable work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 24, 2016
Working for the City of Calgary is an experience. If you have heard a joke about a city worker it is probably true. That being said government work is a catch 22 of management trying to accomplish their mandate inside a framework that limits their ability to do it efficiently.
The pay and benefits were good. The allowed sick time was almost criminal (to the benefit of the worker).
The hardest part was watching tax dollars at work.
benefits
Cons
union vs management
Enjoyable work in Public Sector
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Customer Service has been a major interest for me. Helping passengers get to where they want to go. Rewarding career to be able to operate a large vehicle and have contact with people. Highlights of civic events, and the excitement of the attendees.
Pros
Flexibility of being able to work without close supervision. Empowerment.
Cons
Long hours between job shifts, split shifts
Excellent work environment with excellent people.
Urban Forestry (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2015
It was an excellent work environment with great supervisors and excellent culture. It was excellent salary and great work.
Middle of the road, hold back workers, promote political correct.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary Transit Call CentreMay 15, 2015
if you are satisfied with doing just the least in life, and don't want to be challenged then the City can work for you however if you strife to want to make a difference in life and lead it is a very poor place to work. I retired from there now went and trained in safety to add to my knowledge and experience base to work for 4 or 5 more years to try and enjoy all the things I could not while working at the City. The one thing I did enjoy about the City was the people I was able to help the workers I supervised and coached, trained, and I have to admit it did provide me with employment, education,& benefits. I did start and stop three time in my career with the City. They liked me & it worked for me. Now set me FREE.
Pros
Always training
Cons
Politics
Aweful management team
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
People who sit and do nothing but good at talking climb the corporate ladder quickly while people who does work were stuck in corner and was told to shut up otherwise got kicked out.
Pros
Cons
Talented people are eventually drive off the environment. Politics prevails quality work.
great place to work with great people
Traffic Marker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
The city of Calgary is a great place to work. I take great pride in just saying that I work for the city. My job is fun steady and always different. If I could find year round work with the city it would be amazing, due to my current job only being a summer time job. My co workers are great I have allot of fun working with them. The hardest part of my job is dealing with on coming traffic, and the crazy speeds. The most enjoyable part is the environment that the city provides. Its safe and well maintained.
Pros
Benefits are awesome
Cons
working nights with a new born in house
Recreation Leader II
Recreation Leader II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
- Responsible for a large number of children at day camps, the children were 3-12 years of age
- Ensure safe environment for all children; clear area of physical dangers
- Plan and organize crafts and activities for the children
- Explain and ensure children follow the rules of the programs
- Lead and organize the children in fun and safe activities
Extremely diverse, ever changing culture
Coordinator - Program Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 9, 2015
I have had a long standing career with The City of Calgary and have had many opportunities. The most rewarding aspects have been the people I lead and support on a daily basis
Pros
I love the work I do and the people I work with
Cons
Commute to downtown Calgary - just moving to Okotoks I would enjoy something more local
Learned alot of new things, example maintanence of lawn care and hand tools.
Yard Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
Really enjoyed showing up for work daily M-F from 8am-4pm was very well respected and really enjoyed new things which I use daily on my own lawn care maintenance and was able to teach my teenage son and my 10 year old son, much useful skill I could share with family.

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for your review, happy to hear the new skills you learned at work can be applied at home too!

good working conditions
Water Meter Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 28, 2016
enjoyed my career there,forced to leave to care for ailing father! hours were conducive to my family life,as well as my golfing endeavors.
Pros
work schedule, camrodorie, overall atmosphere.
Cons
management, location.
Satisfactory
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
Great place to work. Shift work is an issue. Management is a little off, they could have managers/foreman that are more qualified. A lot to learn between equipment, learning to work with crews, growing.
Good
IT Admin Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2016
GGGreat work and experience with opportunities to advance with strategic qualifications and experience. Excellent hours and benefits to participate in several activities with colleagues.
Best place I have ever worked
Administrative Assistant Risk and Claims (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Everyone is so nice and supportive. All the managers treat you like an equal. The work is simple, and if you don't know something and ask they will explain why and how something is done the way it is.
Pros
Great environment

Comment – April 29, 2016

Thank you for the review, we're glad you enjoy working for The City and helping to make Calgary better every day.

Great Co-workers , The experience can be a one of learning .
Landscape Labourer / Irrigation Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2015
Day to day work load would change , using vast experience to meet the demand of the task of the day . Operated many pieces of equipment would perform routine maintenance of equipment . Gardening , Pruning were ordinary tasks of the day . Irrigation work was an interesting experience at the City . Management at the department was always in a chaotic state more reactive than proactive .When I worked in Irrigation found the management to be very good and proactive . My time there with my co-workers were enjoyable we had a very easy going workplace atmosphere in all departments , conflicts were rare . Challenges presented themselves when working on re mounting and installing the headstones due to the ground was always difficult . When completion of task that impacted others and hearing the feedback was a rewarding experience .
Pros
the work shift, co- workers, feedback from the public
Cons
rare and infrequent visits from the management, inconsistent work schedule
Stable, good paying job for retirement
Journeyman 1 Heavy Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 29, 2013
I enjoy working for the City of Calgary, it is a great employer with a ton of great benefits. A typical day consists of repair of multiple components on transit buses from front to back, top to bottom (excluding body work). My knowledge has certainly grown since starting with the city, my greatly in my understanding and ability to diagnose and repair electrical systems, drive system (axles etc.) not common to North America and management and interaction with fellow employees.The Hardest part of my job is the hours I work (time of day not quantity) and the most enjoyable part is the satisfaction I get from my contribution to the bigger picture of Calgary Transit.
Pros
good pension, benefits, relaxed work environment
Cons
slow movement in advancement
Salary and security are Great, but if you like Gardening this is not the job for you.
Gardener (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2013
This is a Secure job with great benefits and pay is decent (thou the intro rate is actually more like 29.50). If you enjoy working with plants and taking pride in your job then look else where. This is basically an outdoor janitor position in which you will be pooped on by the bosses and public. If you can hang in there for a decade or so (of only 6 months a year) then maybe you will become Fulltime (but dont hold your breath). The 4 or 3 day work week offers a good work/life balence but the 6 months off a year is hard to take. Have seen many of my quailifed friends leave for more satisfying positions else where.
Pros
benefits, work/life balence
Cons
seasonal, not much actual horticulture, lies, and more lies from management
Great palce to work
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
Great place to work. Busy place, everyone is there to work.

the culture is great. Job security is great. Money is good, great benefits, the only this is its hard to become permanent with city.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
always very busy
Amazing
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  City HallSeptember 9, 2015
Working at the City Of Calgary was one of the best places I have ever worked. I am a single mom their understanding and flexibility definitely made things easier on my home life.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Great place to work and opportunities for advancment
Journeyman Truck and Transport Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2015
Enjoyable to go to work everyday due to the great team work environment. There was always support available from supervisors and computers when we had questions, also enjoyed working with the co-workers.

4.2