City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Co-workers , The experience can be a one of learning .
Landscape Labourer / Irrigation Worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 5, 2015
Pros: the work shift, co- workers, feedback from the public
Cons: rare and infrequent visits from the management, inconsistent work schedule
Day to day work load would change , using vast experience to meet the demand of the task of the day . Operated many pieces of equipment would perform routine maintenance of equipment . Gardening , Pruning – more... were ordinary tasks of the day . Irrigation work was an interesting experience at the City . Management at the department was always in a chaotic state more reactive than proactive .When I worked in Irrigation found the management to be very good and proactive . My time there with my co-workers were enjoyable we had a very easy going workplace atmosphere in all departments , conflicts were rare . Challenges presented themselves when working on re mounting and installing the headstones due to the ground was always difficult . When completion of task that impacted others and hearing the feedback was a rewarding experience . – less
Middle of the road, hold back workers, promote political correct.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary Transit Call CentreMay 15, 2015
Pros: Always training
Cons: Politics
if you are satisfied with doing just the least in life, and don't want to be challenged then the City can work for you however if you strife to want to make a difference in life and lead it is a very poor – more... place to work. I retired from there now went and trained in safety to add to my knowledge and experience base to work for 4 or 5 more years to try and enjoy all the things I could not while working at the City. The one thing I did enjoy about the City was the people I was able to help the workers I supervised and coached, trained, and I have to admit it did provide me with employment, education,& benefits. I did start and stop three time in my career with the City. They liked me & it worked for me. Now set me FREE. – less
I enjoyed working there.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2015
Pros: City Work
Cons: Not enough hours
It was good experience working at the city. I enjoyed the management, and gained quite a lot of valuable knowledge from my time there.
good
Custodian & yard maintenance labour (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 6, 2015
I had a good experience working for them as I continued to learn how to Landscape, prune trees & shrubs and I loved the atmosphere and I also enjoyed working as a custodian at the Arts Center.......
City of Calgary
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: good work environment
Cons: nothing comes to mind
The management is top heavy, It is that old saying too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The work load for the regular staff is overwhelming at times. Mostly my co-workers were great, I was always requested back to the same departments once I had worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the public.
Great Job
Cleaner (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Loved my job there. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the coworkers, but wished there was more job security and stability. Unfortunatley I was laid off.
Great job
Big Bus Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2015
Pros: Salary
Cons: treated like a number
I enjoyed the people on a daily basis, loved driving the units, found the training program excellent. The salary is amazing along w ith benefits. the hardest part was learning route within 24 hr notice every day.
N/A
Attendant II (Former Employee), CalgaryMarch 31, 2015
It was very great to work at. Great pay and great people. Hard to get time off (since it is a summer job), you are expected to work summer hours. Would recommend someone to work here.
Great summer position
Rail Systems Technical Support (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work would involve me sitting at my desk and working with microsoft excel, word and access. I would help the Certified Engineering Technologists and Professional Engineers with various tasks. Also when there is free time they would take me out on site and see the LRT system that they are responsible for.
Well put together
Assessment Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: nothing
Enjoyed all my days learning new things working with City Clerks side by siCustomer Service in all areas. troubleshooting, listening skills extreme knowledge.
Good job but can be very stressful at times
Foreman/Gardener (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good work, money, and benefits
Cons: over stressed some times
Good work. Good people to work with. Job is seasonal so it starts out slow, then gets very busy and hectic in mid summer. It gets slow
at the end of the season. Then you get laid off. You get swamped with work from Victoria Day weekend until Labour Day weekend.
Good
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2015
Short position, but lots of opportunities to take personal initiative. Provides excellent leadership experience. Lots of opportunities to advance.
Good work/life balance
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2015
Too corporate with initiatives coming from Council. A lot of work couldn't be completed without direction from all over the place. It's hard to feel accomplished in your work.
Decent Job
Community Shuttle Operator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: low stress, flexibility, good people, benefits
Cons: occasional split shifts
Good part-time job with flexibility and great benefits and pay given the position
Productive and Customer focused
Bus Operator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: wrok independently
I drive bus for Calgary Transit.
Dealing with customers.
Most enjoyable part is meeting with new people.
presently Part-Time (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 29, 2014
I work part-time, shift work. I earned $30,000 per year.
I work with a team of people
LOVED IT, it was a ton of fun
Youth Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 13, 2014
Pros: group gatherings, tons of interesting opportunities, being a positive role model for youth
Cons: being done at work at 1230 am on a friday night, needing more direction, more training
A typical day at work would begin playing games or sports with young kids. This position has taught me allot, such as How to be patient and more understanding. It has helped me to be more myself and to – more... become not so afraid to let the "kid in me" get out and just have some fun once in a while.

The hardest part of my position here was thinking of creative and intuitive ways to coach muay Thai to the youngsters. Even though I have been the sport for so many years, coaching it is a whole other level. It definitely helped me with my presentation skills. A second difficult thing to deal with was preventing and stopping, both with the individual being bullied and the individual being the bully. It was not fun. Very sad to see someone becoming so assumed of themselves because someone was putting them down.

My co-workers were a blast! Every Friday night after teen nights all the staff went out for pizza at a pizza place next door. Everyone hung out. The culture was amazing. – less
Fun Workplace
Administrative Assistant - Contract (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 4, 2014
I have learned a lot of stuff here. I have enhanced my knowledge in a lot of things.
Workout gym
3-1-1 CUSTOMER CONTACT CENTRE – CITIZEN SERVICES (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
Inbound contact centre. Handle internal and external customers. Dealing with difficult customers. ESL customers. Compressed schedule.
Great palce to work
Accounts Payable Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: always very busy
Great place to work. Busy place, everyone is there to work.

the culture is great. Job security is great. Money is good, great benefits, the only this is its hard to become permanent with city.

1 2 3 4 5

About City of Calgary

City of Calgary employees operate the facilities, deliver the services and run the programs that support our city. Our corporate – Read more

City of Calgary Photos