City of Calgary

City of Calgary Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Best place I have ever worked
Administrative Assistant Risk and Claims (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 15, 2016
Pros: Great environment
Cons: none
Everyone is so nice and supportive. All the managers treat you like an equal. The work is simple, and if you don't know something and ask they will explain why and how something is done the way it is.
Excellent work environment with excellent people.
Urban Forestry (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 23, 2015
It was an excellent work environment with great supervisors and excellent culture. It was excellent salary and great work.
I love working for the City
Team Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 13, 2015
Work/Life Balance is top-notch. Salary/Benefits are comprable to most other organizations. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
The culture can be depressing at times (lots of entitled union folks) and the top management likes to preach one thing, then do the opposite. But that's really the only downside.
Enjoyable work in Public Sector
Transit Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 4, 2015
Pros: Flexibility of being able to work without close supervision. Empowerment.
Cons: Long hours between job shifts, split shifts
Customer Service has been a major interest for me. Helping passengers get to where they want to go. Rewarding career to be able to operate a large vehicle and have contact with people. Highlights of civic events, and the excitement of the attendees.
great place to work with great people
Traffic Marker (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Benefits are awesome
Cons: working nights with a new born in house
The city of Calgary is a great place to work. I take great pride in just saying that I work for the city. My job is fun steady and always different. If I could find year round work with the city it would be amazing, due to my current job only being a summer time job. My co workers are great I have allot of fun working with them. The hardest part of my job is dealing with on coming traffic, and the crazy speeds. The most enjoyable part is the environment that the city provides. Its safe and well maintained.
Extremely diverse, ever changing culture
Coordinator - Program Lead (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 9, 2015
Pros: I love the work I do and the people I work with
Cons: Commute to downtown Calgary - just moving to Okotoks I would enjoy something more local
I have had a long standing career with The City of Calgary and have had many opportunities. The most rewarding aspects have been the people I lead and support on a daily basis
Amazing
Project Administrator (Former Employee), City HallSeptember 9, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: None
Working at the City Of Calgary was one of the best places I have ever worked. I am a single mom their understanding and flexibility definitely made things easier on my home life.
Great place to work and opportunities for advancment
Journeyman Truck and Transport Mechanic (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2015
Enjoyable to go to work everyday due to the great team work environment. There was always support available from supervisors and computers when we had questions, also enjoyed working with the co-workers.
Flexible hours and in enjoyable
Data Collector (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2015
Pros: Easy, money
Cons: Sometimes have to work early morning/late night
Typical day of work varies through the duties that we do. When trains are closed for maintenance, I am working on the platform directing people to the shuttle busses. I count people coming in and out of trains at various stops within the city. I also count people in busses and trains.
Great Co-workers , The experience can be a one of learning .
Landscape Labourer / Irrigation Worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 5, 2015
Pros: the work shift, co- workers, feedback from the public
Cons: rare and infrequent visits from the management, inconsistent work schedule
Day to day work load would change , using vast experience to meet the demand of the task of the day . Operated many pieces of equipment would perform routine maintenance of equipment . Gardening , Pruning were ordinary tasks of the day . Irrigation work was an interesting experience at the City . Management at the department was always in a chaotic state more reactive than proactive .When I worked in Irrigation found the management to be very good and proactive . My time there with my co-workers were enjoyable we had a very easy going workplace atmosphere in all departments , conflicts were rare . Challenges presented themselves when working on re mounting and installing the headstones due to the ground was always difficult . When completion of task that impacted others and hearing the feedback was a rewarding experience .
Middle of the road, hold back workers, promote political correct.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary Transit Call CentreMay 15, 2015
Pros: Always training
Cons: Politics
if you are satisfied with doing just the least in life, and don't want to be challenged then the City can work for you however if you strife to want to make a difference in life and lead it is a very poor place to work. I retired from there now went and trained in safety to add to my knowledge and experience base to work for 4 or 5 more years to try and enjoy all the things I could not while working at the City. The one thing I did enjoy about the City was the people I was able to help the workers I supervised and coached, trained, and I have to admit it did provide me with employment, education,& benefits. I did start and stop three time in my career with the City. They liked me & it worked for me. Now set me FREE.
I enjoyed working there.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2015
Pros: City Work
Cons: Not enough hours
It was good experience working at the city. I enjoyed the management, and gained quite a lot of valuable knowledge from my time there.
good
Custodian & yard maintenance labour (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 6, 2015
I had a good experience working for them as I continued to learn how to Landscape, prune trees & shrubs and I loved the atmosphere and I also enjoyed working as a custodian at the Arts Center.......
City of Calgary
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Pros: good work environment
Cons: nothing comes to mind
The management is top heavy, It is that old saying too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The work load for the regular staff is overwhelming at times. Mostly my co-workers were great, I was always requested back to the same departments once I had worked there. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the public.
Great Job
Cleaner (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
Loved my job there. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the coworkers, but wished there was more job security and stability. Unfortunatley I was laid off.
Great job
Big Bus Operator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2015
Pros: Salary
Cons: treated like a number
I enjoyed the people on a daily basis, loved driving the units, found the training program excellent. The salary is amazing along w ith benefits. the hardest part was learning route within 24 hr notice every day.
N/A
Attendant II (Former Employee), CalgaryMarch 31, 2015
It was very great to work at. Great pay and great people. Hard to get time off (since it is a summer job), you are expected to work summer hours. Would recommend someone to work here.
Great summer position
Rail Systems Technical Support (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2015
A typical day at work would involve me sitting at my desk and working with microsoft excel, word and access. I would help the Certified Engineering Technologists and Professional Engineers with various tasks. Also when there is free time they would take me out on site and see the LRT system that they are responsible for.
Well put together
Assessment Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 18, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: nothing
Enjoyed all my days learning new things working with City Clerks side by siCustomer Service in all areas. troubleshooting, listening skills extreme knowledge.
Good job but can be very stressful at times
Foreman/Gardener (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good work, money, and benefits
Cons: over stressed some times
Good work. Good people to work with. Job is seasonal so it starts out slow, then gets very busy and hectic in mid summer. It gets slow
at the end of the season. Then you get laid off. You get swamped with work from Victoria Day weekend until Labour Day weekend.
Industry