City Of Burlington

City Of Burlington Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyed assisting the public.
Crossing Guard (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 18, 2014
Pros: this job gave me all responsibility.
Cons: not enough hours for me.
This position worked was good for me and gave me the opportunity to be at home with my family when they needed me most.

I love being outdoors and the city supplied a very warm coat I was never cold.
Very nice place to work
Assembler (Current Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 30, 2013
Pros: very nice coworkers
Cons: salary not competitive
Everyday is a special day if you can walk into work with a smile and leave work with a smile.
An exciting department with many advancement opportunities.
Events Assistant (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 10, 2013
Pros: great staff
As an event assistant for The City of Burlington, I have worked closely with the Supervisor of Festivals & Events , who has given be invaluable opportunities. As an assistant, I am responsible for the execution of City events such as Canada Day, Children's Festival. Most recently, I worked with vendors for the Canada Day celebrations. However, I also – more... work with Assistant Event Programmers on finding appropriate sponsors for city events. I have had promotions experience, as well as event planning experience, and have learned valuable marketing strategies. From this job, I have also had the opportunity to be a part of an independent study, in which I am currently developing a social media strategy for an older demographic in The City of Burlington. – less
Busy City Work
Bus Driver/Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Burlington, ONJune 11, 2013
Pros: learning
Cons: crazy hours day to day
Bus service and customer service.
You get to learn a variety of equipment for advancement.
Pay for half your education.
Hardworking, secure, important workplace
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee), Burlington, ONMay 30, 2013
Surrounded by and interacting with various of people with different age groups, one needs to be friendly, open-minded and good with communication, yet at the same time, strict, informative and react quick and appropriately in terms of conflicts, pool emergencies and problems.

It was a vivid, lively experience, testing your teaching abilities to communicate – more... what you have learned from your own swimming experiences to others, and also testing yourself to be creative with lesson plans and courses. – less
Fun invironment
L7M 4J8, Lifeguard/ Swimming Instructor (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMay 4, 2013
Pros: free exercise class
Cons: raises
The people you meet are amazing and you really grow up. You learn about yourself and if you can handle being a part of a very large team.
Office work and reviews
Traffic Services Student (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: new challenges everyday
Mostly office work.
Dealing with updating maps and TES information.
Dealing with Collision reports and other traffic related jobs
Issue permits.
Great job if you can get it
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee), Burlington, VTDecember 31, 2013
Pros: benefits, free classes
Cons: some work environments are not good, not conducive to working together
The city of Burlington provides many benefits in the workplace: employees can take free classes, flex time off, many sick and vacation days with pay. A typical day at work begins at the office with emails, phone calls, etc. We meet to discuss plans. There is a lot of autonomy and a lot of teaming in any given day. No two days are the same. We meet w/ – more... vendors, other team members. We are public servants and hear from them a lot.

There is a great deal of emphasis on "the team."

Leadership has changed twice over the past three years.

I learned how to better work within a team and understand and appreciate the fact that "we all bring something to the table."

The hardest part of the job is the commute--as a new homeowner, I am torn between home and work...and gas prices being what they are. Another hard part is the speed at which we must work most of the time. There is really never enough time to get the work done.

The most enjoyable parts of this job are: when an event is done and we are cleaning up and folks give us wonderful compliments for a job well done, when we are given encouragement, when the student or participant laughs, smiles, has a great time...that sort of thing. – less
City Employee
Parks and Recreation/Sanitation (Current Employee), Burlington, NCAugust 19, 2013
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
It not what people see ;IT'S what you don't see in the public EYE.
Grounds Crew Worker (Former Employee), Burlington, NCOctober 5, 2012
Pros: suppory my family.
Cons: trying to act happy
Mostly sunny days about average days of rain.What Iearned is how to improve on my landscaping skills.Management is about the good old buddy system;either you with them or NOT.GOOD GUYS.NOTHING is hard;management makes it hard when they don't have to do the job.GOING HOME!!!
fun fast paced working enviorment
Laborer (Former Employee), Burlington, VTApril 22, 2012
Pros: willling to teach, good pay
Cons: long hours, no benies
working for the city of Burlington you would be assigned to a crew Concrete, asphalt, or catch basins. you would work with that crew for the intire summer. This place helped me get my CDL class B. I learned alot about laying concrete. The hardest part is getting in full time. I really enjoyed the people i worked with.