CITY OF BRAMPTON

CITY OF BRAMPTON Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very flexible
Team Leader (Marketing Division) (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Worked for the city of Brampton in a contract, management really appreciated your job, but employees are too spoiled by the Union
GREAT WORK PLACE
Operations Staff (Former Employee), brampton ontarioFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: great staff. good times.
Cons: can't think of any
managers a lesbian. took great offence to overhearing staff stating personal opinions. conflict resolution incident turned against the defendant resulting in job loss. watch what you say . you never know who's listening.
Day At work
Election Assistant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 6, 2015
While I only had the opportunity to work with the City of Brampton's Electoral Department for one day the environment present was a positive one. It balanced efficient work ethics with positive relations with co-workers.
Great environment to work in and wonderful employees
Health/Safety and Wellness Assistant (Current Employee), BramptonJanuary 24, 2015
I enjoy every day going to work at the City of Brampton. I am kept on my toes learning new things daily. Getting to meet with external and internal clients often makes my job fun because I am a people person. The orginizational culture exceeds my expectations and makes working with the City feel like home.

The hardest part leaving the City to gain more experience and continue my education will be the relationships I have fostered with my collegues. I have been given many opportunities that I am thankful for, but would like to explore other ways to expand my skills and knowledge in the Health and Wellness field .
A fun and challenging place to work
Recreation Staff (Former Employee), Brampton, OntarioJanuary 23, 2015
Great place to work. Bringing people together as one community.
dedicated to exceptional customer service.
Great environment and great people
Economic Development Assisstant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Great management and people to work with. Nice open atmosphere.
Overall Great Atmosphere
Recreation Facilities Administrator (Current Employee), BramptonJanuary 4, 2015
The job environment is warm and welcoming, providing excellent service to our customers is guaranteed through every service
Great place to work, especially as a second job
Transit Service Clerk (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 6, 2014
Pros: flexibility, proximity, free transit
Cons: no benefits, no full time
This is my second job and it works out perfectly for me. Good pay and its half shifts so It allows me to pull doubles with my other job. pretty relaxed environment. Work alone, nobody breathing down your back and no targets to be met.
Great co-workers but very poor culture and no job advancement/security
3-1-1 Call Centre Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), BramptonNovember 13, 2014
Pros: great pay and great co-workers
Cons: no advancement, no job security, unfair environment, no benefits rotating shifts, poor leadership from management
Typical day consist of receiving inbound calls regarding numerous municipal services and/or dispatching calls for service to appropriate responding personnel. Completed service requests and provide accurate information to the public. This was a great entry level position in a government call centre in respect to valuable experience gained. Management was not the worse but very poor; the style is front line staff vs management. Management contributes to the gossip among all staff but does not like to hear any gossip about them. You basically have to follow everything they say or you become a target. Contract position which would be extended over and over for a period of 3-6 months and they will hassle you for making a mistake (QA). NO JOB SECURITY and NO ADVANCEMENT! A lot of friends and family hired which contributes to the unfairness and inequality culture. NOT A LONG TERM CAREER! My co-workers however were great to work with. Some people were not the greatest but overall everyone was pretty cool. The hardest part of the job was leaving my co-workers, some of us still stay in touch.
Excellent Place to work
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 4, 2014
Cleaning bathrooms, sweeping floors.
Excellent co-workers
Productive and fun place to work.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 25, 2014
Pros: time flies when working in payroll.benefits, great pay!
Cons: distance to travel can be long especially in the winter.
The city of Brampton payroll department was indeed a great place to work! All the employees were hardworking, yet fun to be around.

Each payroll cycle is started with collection of employee data forms (EDC) example , new hires, rehires and terminated employees to determine how to set them up into the computer software. This process although sounds simple it can be a stickler since some EDC are for the current pay period and others are for future periods. Thus the data sheets must first be sorted into specific periods and categories and labeled accordingly in order not to waste time.

The next step is to enter all new hires and rehires information before time entry is locked because that would require supervisors to reopen time entry for one to enter information that should have been entered into the system. Next all relevant deductions and banking are setup. Following deductions I have to calculate terminations and payouts and start running my queries to validate time entry.

The first query is the Hours by Users which records the exact amount of hours entered by each time entry user. This amount must harmonize with the hours sent to payroll by each time entry user. There are of course other queries that must be run and validated in order to ensure accuracy of the payroll. For example, Name List Difference is a query that tells us about incorrect entries and there maybe differences like effective date for a particular job code that must be verified and reasons explained. Of all the queries, Time Entry query is the most tedious because that is where one has to do E.I correction – more... which not many Payroll Administrators like to do.

Having completed all queries, I then print Time Entry Summary report and enter in to the reconciliation sheet for the current pay period. Next is to ask my supervisor to load the report coming from time entry. If I have done all queries correctly , all loaded report must agree with time entry summary and I can happily update the reconciliation sheet. If however there is any rejection of hours, it has be to verified and corrected and once it is corrected, I can now print my payroll summary report and enter on the reconciliation sheet.

One would think that process would end here, but now is the time to start reconciling all deductions including E.I , CPP, WCB, etc. to ensure accuracy of the reconciliation sheet. Once I have finished reconciling, I can now print and sign my Reconciliation Sheet and other back up queries to submit to my supervisor for validation. If there is an error, the supervisor will make a note of the needed correction and ask me to correct it and resubmit the reports.

Once that process is completed, I can print all relevant reports and hand in my payroll as completed. This whole process can last from 1 to 4 days depending on the volume of the payroll.

The City of Brampton is indeed a great place to work and regarding payroll processing it was indeed a pleasure to work with such professional and dedicated staff. They have rekindled my interest in payroll processing. I say this because after completing my Accounting and Payroll Diploma, I started studying Accounting at a more advance level.Because of my experience at the city of Brampton, I am certain that payroll is fun and I would like a career in the payroll field. – less
good
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 9, 2014
I love working for the City it is a fun enviroment with great people
Great workplace
Swimming Instrcutor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 26, 2014
Archery was much better. I was allowed to teach a hobby of mine to children. I was allowed to come early so I could have time to myself so I could shoot.
exhilarating
By-law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Working with the City of Brampton is a great experience with extraordinary diversity and cultures.
Energetic and outgoing atmosphere
Concessions Assistance Programmer (Current Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: long days
I have worked for the City of Brampton for just over a year. I started off at Peel Village Golf Course in 2013 as a Concessions Attendant and got offered a position as a Facility Clerk at Chinguacousy Park Curling and Tennis Club. A few months later I got offered to work as a Bartender at the Curling Club. Once, the season ended I got offered yet another position as a Concessions Assistant Programmer running my own building (Mini Golf). The whole experience working with the City of Brampton has taught me how to be proactive, flexible, perfect my time managing skills and how to have fun in your work environment. My fellow co-workers were yet the best people to spend most my days with. Without them, we would not have been the amazing team we are. The most enjoyable part of the job was planning team builders once a month and over viewing everyone being able to leave work at the door and building their leadership skills while enjoying each others company.
Was suitable work while I cared for cancer patient at the time
Crossing Guard (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 7, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: had to work in all weather conditions
1.5 hours in morning, 1.5 hours at lunch and 1.5 hours at home time. All weather conditions. I learned that I did not want to work outside any more because it kept making me sick. So I went back to school. Management were awesome. I didn't get to spend any time with co-workers. Hardest part of job was working in extreme weather conditons, and most enjoyable part of job was working with amazing kids.
productive environment, lots of fun working with children in the community
Recreation Programs Facilitator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 14, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: not enough hours
Working with the city of brampton was an amazing experience, the managers and coworkers were great, they ensured that programs were successful and the children in the community were happy.
work is fun
Youth Instructor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONJune 21, 2014
Pros: working with the children and youths
Cons: short hours
everyday when i go into work it is fun because of the children.
Safe working enviorment , team leader, self dedication and works great under pressure.
facility Operator (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMay 28, 2014
Pros: working and interacting within and throughout the community, safe working environment, could lead to a greater position
Cons: not enough hours, lack of respect, abuse towards lower level employers (meaning full-timeworkers take credibility for part-timers work)
My typical day at work would start off at 3pm for the city of Brampton. Our job as maintenance staff consists of 3 major topics, 1)The Health and Safety of the public 2) made sure the faciility was clean to its standers and 3)the flow of the public; such as helping them with any questions they had, assisting them with their belongings when asked too and lastly controled the traffic in and out of the facility.

I learned many good habits in working with the city of Brampton, such as working as a team, communication either by, sign language, touching and feeling, hearing and many other ways in understand what the customer wanted to say.

Our management for the city of Brampton by far is the most successful and important job to have, especially when being in charge of all staff and vistors that come into the building as well. Our managment takes care of what happeneds in the build and also what needs to get done around the building inorder to be running at its best. The city of Brampton works together like a family, all co-works and volunteer are close to together and treated with respect no matter what level of work experience you have.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the control of people in and out of the bulidng, this makes it very difficult on making sure that the public is safe from danger and or exposure to natural gas.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping and interacting with the people of the city. I really enjoy putting myself out of line to help others in need and also lets your vistors feel safe about the working environment. Another enjoyable aspect is having the ability to come to work with a fresh start and not bring any negativity to the work place.
TBC
Deck Supervisor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMay 24, 2014
Our Mission Statement - Working together to foster environmental awareness and responsibility by successfully promoting and coordinating opportunities for neighbourhood and community pride in Brampton, through our Adopt-A-Park and 3Rs Educational Programs.

The Brampton Clean City Committee is a committee of City Council made up of concerned citizens who volunteer their time and effort in promoting environmental awareness and a clean community. The Committee meets on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the Council Committee Room, 4th floor at City Hall.

1 2 3