CITY OF BRAMPTON Employee Reviews in Canada

Union ruins everything
Instructor (Part-time) and maintenance (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 17, 2016
The full time staff have plenty of job security courtesy of their union, but that security screws over everyone else; especially the part time staff. If you're not full time with the union you are restricted to 24 per week, paid minimum wage, and given little to no hope of advancement and opportunity.

The only benefit of working with the City in any other capacity is the flexibility in the scheduling. It seems the City of Brampton banks on a majority of it's staff being students, therefore the turn over rate for part time positions is high.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Pay rate, lack of opportunity, lack of full time positions, knowing the right people is the heaviest variable in advancement
Fun workplace with a small office
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 16, 2016
I learned how to work in a team solve situations in the pool.
I learned how to communicate with children and their parents to help them achieve their swimming goals.
Pros
Kind staff, feels like a family
Cons
working the night shift.
Very fun envoiroment and very good team environment!
Volunteer with the Brampton Animal Shelter (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 12, 2016
I was a snowboard instructor and loved it. All my co-workers were great. Lots of hours and many oppurtinities to find work. Easy to get timne off when needed!
Pros
Lots of hours!
Cons
Lots of training!
Working at the City of Brampton
Clerk, Business Services W&T(contract) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
In the short time I worked at the City of Brampton I had very good relationships with both colleagues and management. I learned how to work within a new software system. The hardest part of the job was ensuring quality customer care for the citizens of the City of Brampton. My job at the City of Brampton was an entry level position for which I feel I was overqualified, but I did enjoy talking to satisfied citizens.
Pros
Good life work/life balance
Cons
Longer periods of downtime
Enjoyable environment
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 27, 2016
Camps started at 8:45 am and ended at 4:15pm. I have learned many valuable skills including organization, team work and scheduling. Management and co-workers are enjoyable and friendly. The hardest part of the job is the long, busy wrk hours and the most enjoyable is making camp fun for all.
Pros
great salary
Cons
Fun work place during the summer
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 2, 2016
I have worked with the city of Brampton since 2003. I have enjoyed my experience with the city. During my time as a camp counselor, a typical day was meeting the kids and playing interactive activities until 9 o'clock when camp starts. During the day, we played sports such as hockey, soccer, discus, javelin, and many more. A big part of my job was to make sure that the kids were able to have fun and encourage team building skills with different types of games. Being a camp counselor taught me discipline and leadership skills. The management was very genuine and made sure that the staff always were always in a good mood. They communicated everything and anything that they felt was important. My co-workers are what made my day extra special. You build a very strong bond with them over the summer and make memories for the rest of you life. I would say the hardest part of the job is having to discipline the kids that don't want to listen. Very often though, the kids are respectful and enjoy being at camp. The best part of my job seeing all of my co-workers and the kids having a great time. This always puts a smile on my face.
Pros
Playing sports and activities while getting paid.
Cons
Disciplining the kids that don't listen
Experience varies depending on location and position.
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Teaching swimming was fast paced, disorganized, and often cramped so tight it makes teaching near impossible.

Teaching Art was organised, fast paced, and quite spacious, making teaching a large class easy and pleasant.
Pros
fast paced
Super fun work environment, very secure job
Dance Instructor, camp leader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 24, 2016
The city of Brampton is an ideal workplace.
I have done numerous jobs with the city i.e dance instructor, camp councillor, coach, skills and drills, etc.
Very fun environment with a lot of benefits!!!
Pros
job security, fun
Good workplace
Child and Youth Programs Leader & Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 22, 2016
- Part time workers not unionized (unlike the City of Toronto)
- Positive environment
- Flexible hours, good for students
don't work here
Health Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 1, 2016
it pays like a retail job. the salary is bs however co-workers are super nice. no benefits, no future growth opportunities and only a set amount of hours a week. this city really needs to re structure itself.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Hardworking Job with Relaxed environment and friendly staff
Temporary Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 14, 2016
This job requires lots of physical labour and sometimes chaotic days which involves driving from location to location in order to complete the required tasks each day. The staff is very friendly and although the work can be physically demanding it is a fairly relaxed work environment.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Intense Physical Labour
Easy and fun
Aquatics Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 30, 2015
A city that encourages citizen involvement and allows for city and public interaction. Good co-workers, and good environment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Busy
A very busy work environment with dedicated staff, and opportunity to grow personally and professionally.
Executive Assistant to the Mayor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 21, 2015
A very busy work environment, with collegial, dedicated staff working together as a team. Very customer focused environment. Employees are sometimes called upon to work long hours to meed deadlines, but compensation and benefits are excellent. The most enjoyable part of working with the city is the excellent staff.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits.
Cons
Overtime often required to meet deadlines.
Play Hard Work harder
Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 17, 2015
Overall it was an average city job. No issues with pay or any of the other workers. We worked hard to get things done and as a team. When people didn't show up for shifts we pulled up our own socks to keep jobs moving. I made it my goal to show up everyday ready to work to help out my fellow workers. It payed off in the end when we were praised for our hard work from our supervisor. The most difficult part of the job was the distance from my home. It was about a 45 min drive with no traffic. Most of the time however I was driving back and forth in those peak hours. The job had a lot of physical labour which I handled pretty well but it was difficult in the beginning. Overall this was a fantastic job and i had a great time working with them but I am looking to do something different and possibly earn a better salary doing so.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Distance to Brampton
Transit Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 25, 2015
A great job for mothers with children and especially students enrolled in post-secondary institutions. Staff and management are helpful. Only downside is irate customers but that comes with the job. Its customer service at the end of the day.
The pay is great but its only part-time. That's the only downside.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Staff
Cons
Customers can be difficult
Cleaned up the park daily
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 17, 2015
Management was poor, they revoked our lunch breaks (which is illegal) would not work for this company again. Hours were very good, flexible to my schedule,
Great Company
Part Time Maintenance Work (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONNovember 8, 2015
They provided me with great training and skills to further myself and my career path in life. They gave me skills to broaden my knowledge in various aspect in the workforce.
Productive and Modern environment
Entry level (Former Employee) –  41 George StNovember 1, 2015
This is a great place to work with good hours, and culture.

It is a warm, and welcoming environment.
Work is decent with option for personal time.
Pros
Complimentary Food
Cons
Slow Pace
Nice place to work at
Interior Designer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 29, 2015
Its very good experience dealing with government process. The design and Construction department deals with all kinds of projects. the only issue with this job that's its a contract.
Great!
Concession Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONOctober 10, 2015
I've learned a lot from the staff, team members, coordinators, etc. It has been a wonderful experience which I do not regret.