CITY OF BRAMPTON Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun place to work.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 25, 2014
Pros: time flies when working in payroll.benefits, great pay!
Cons: distance to travel can be long especially in the winter.
The city of Brampton payroll department was indeed a great place to work! All the employees were hardworking, yet fun to be around.

Each payroll cycle is started with collection of employee data forms (EDC) example , new hires, rehires and terminated employees to determine how to set them up into the computer software. This process although sounds simple it can be a stickler since some EDC are for the current pay period and others are for future periods. Thus the data sheets must first be sorted into specific periods and categories and labeled accordingly in order not to waste time.

The next step is to enter all new hires and rehires information before time entry is locked because that would require supervisors to reopen time entry for one to enter information that should have been entered into the system. Next all relevant deductions and banking are setup. Following deductions I have to calculate terminations and payouts and start running my queries to validate time entry.

The first query is the Hours by Users which records the exact amount of hours entered by each time entry user. This amount must harmonize with the hours sent to payroll by each time entry user. There are of course other queries that must be run and validated in order to ensure accuracy of the payroll. For example, Name List Difference is a query that tells us about incorrect entries and there maybe differences like effective date for a particular job code that must be verified and reasons explained. Of all the queries, Time Entry query is the most tedious because that is where one has to do E.I correction – more... which not many Payroll Administrators like to do.

Having completed all queries, I then print Time Entry Summary report and enter in to the reconciliation sheet for the current pay period. Next is to ask my supervisor to load the report coming from time entry. If I have done all queries correctly , all loaded report must agree with time entry summary and I can happily update the reconciliation sheet. If however there is any rejection of hours, it has be to verified and corrected and once it is corrected, I can now print my payroll summary report and enter on the reconciliation sheet.

One would think that process would end here, but now is the time to start reconciling all deductions including E.I , CPP, WCB, etc. to ensure accuracy of the reconciliation sheet. Once I have finished reconciling, I can now print and sign my Reconciliation Sheet and other back up queries to submit to my supervisor for validation. If there is an error, the supervisor will make a note of the needed correction and ask me to correct it and resubmit the reports.

Once that process is completed, I can print all relevant reports and hand in my payroll as completed. This whole process can last from 1 to 4 days depending on the volume of the payroll.

The City of Brampton is indeed a great place to work and regarding payroll processing it was indeed a pleasure to work with such professional and dedicated staff. They have rekindled my interest in payroll processing. I say this because after completing my Accounting and Payroll Diploma, I started studying Accounting at a more advance level.Because of my experience at the city of Brampton, I am certain that payroll is fun and I would like a career in the payroll field. – less
Safe working enviorment , team leader, self dedication and works great under pressure.
facility Operator (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMay 28, 2014
Pros: working and interacting within and throughout the community, safe working environment, could lead to a greater position
Cons: not enough hours, lack of respect, abuse towards lower level employers (meaning full-timeworkers take credibility for part-timers work)
My typical day at work would start off at 3pm for the city of Brampton. Our job as maintenance staff consists of 3 major topics, 1)The Health and Safety of the public 2) made sure the faciility was clean to its standers and 3)the flow of the public; such as helping them with any questions they had, assisting them with their belongings when asked too and lastly controled the traffic in and out of the facility.

I learned many good habits in working with the city of Brampton, such as working as a team, communication either by, sign language, touching and feeling, hearing and many other ways in understand what the customer wanted to say.

Our management for the city of Brampton by far is the most successful and important job to have, especially when being in charge of all staff and vistors that come into the building as well. Our managment takes care of what happeneds in the build and also what needs to get done around the building inorder to be running at its best. The city of Brampton works together like a family, all co-works and volunteer are close to together and treated with respect no matter what level of work experience you have.

The hardest part of the job would have to be the control of people in and out of the bulidng, this makes it very difficult on making sure that the public is safe from danger and or exposure to natural gas.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping and interacting with the people of the city. I really enjoy putting myself out of line to help others in need and also lets your vistors feel safe about the working environment. Another enjoyable – more... aspect is having the ability to come to work with a fresh start and not bring any negativity to the work place. – less
Great co-workers but very poor culture and no job advancement/security
3-1-1 Call Centre Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), BramptonNovember 13, 2014
Pros: great pay and great co-workers
Cons: no advancement, no job security, unfair environment, no benefits rotating shifts, poor leadership from management
Typical day consist of receiving inbound calls regarding numerous municipal services and/or dispatching calls for service to appropriate responding personnel. Completed service requests and provide accurate information to the public. This was a great entry level position in a government call centre in respect to valuable experience gained. Management was not the worse but very poor; the style is front line staff vs management. Management contributes to the gossip among all staff but does not like to hear any gossip about them. You basically have to follow everything they say or you become a target. Contract position which would be extended over and over for a period of 3-6 months and they will hassle you for making a mistake (QA). NO JOB SECURITY and NO ADVANCEMENT! A lot of friends and family hired which contributes to the unfairness and inequality culture. NOT A LONG TERM CAREER! My co-workers however were great to work with. Some people were not the greatest but overall everyone was pretty cool. The hardest part of the job was leaving my co-workers, some of us still stay in touch.
Energetic and outgoing atmosphere
Concessions Assistance Programmer (Current Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: long days
I have worked for the City of Brampton for just over a year. I started off at Peel Village Golf Course in 2013 as a Concessions Attendant and got offered a position as a Facility Clerk at Chinguacousy Park Curling and Tennis Club. A few months later I got offered to work as a Bartender at the Curling Club. Once, the season ended I got offered yet another position as a Concessions Assistant Programmer running my own building (Mini Golf). The whole experience working with the City of Brampton has taught me how to be proactive, flexible, perfect my time managing skills and how to have fun in your work environment. My fellow co-workers were yet the best people to spend most my days with. Without them, we would not have been the amazing team we are. The most enjoyable part of the job was planning team builders once a month and over viewing everyone being able to leave work at the door and building their leadership skills while enjoying each others company.
Fun, busy cleaning city job
Facility Attendant, Maintenance of building (Former Employee), Brampton, OntarioMay 25, 2012
Pros: long breaks, work in arenas and parks
Cons: unexpected shifts/hours
A typical day at work with the City of Brampton was simple, all you had to do was clean and keep everything tidy and organized. I had no problems doing this. If anything, I've bettered my house cleaning skills from this job and that's what I've learned. Management was awesome because they didn't single anyone out or make you feel like you were a nobody to the company. Everybody means something, which is expected and a great quality for a company to have. Co-workers are always joking around and having fun while cleaning and doing their jobs/tasks given to them from the Facility Operator. There wasn't really a hard part to this job, it was all pretty basic. The most enjoyable part was watching free hockey and lacrosse games then having to clean up the mess after, always good fun.
Play Hard Work harder
Worker (Current Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 17, 2015
Pros: Great Hours
Cons: Distance to Brampton
Overall it was an average city job. No issues with pay or any of the other workers. We worked hard to get things done and as a team. When people didn't show up for shifts we pulled up our own socks to keep jobs moving. I made it my goal to show up everyday ready to work to help out my fellow workers. It payed off in the end when we were praised for our hard work from our supervisor. The most difficult part of the job was the distance from my home. It was about a 45 min drive with no traffic. Most of the time however I was driving back and forth in those peak hours. The job had a lot of physical labour which I handled pretty well but it was difficult in the beginning. Overall this was a fantastic job and i had a great time working with them but I am looking to do something different and possibly earn a better salary doing so.
Part-timers get shafted
Fitness Staff (Current Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff and members; great work/life balance
Cons: Pay, pay freeze, capped hours, turnover is high
I have been working for the City of Brampton in the Rec and Culture division for the past 4 years.

Pros:

-Experience (boot camps, personal training)
-Friendly co-workers
-Members are great
-Easy to take time off and/or find coverage if needed

Cons:

- Poor Pay
-PAY FREEZE - I haven't received a cent increase, ever
-Hour cap; part-timers get capped at 24 hrs/week
- Part-timers are on seasonal contracts = 0 job security
- WHO you know will get you further than WHAT you know, or how long you've been working for the city
- They pay for NOTHING, no money given for continuing education or recertifications
- Seem like the "big bosses" don't see the big picture, nor communicate with "the little guys" who actually run the programs.
Fun to work
Camp Leader/Gen. Program Instuctor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 13, 2015
Pros: Occasional free meals
Cons: Inconsistent hours of work
Working for the City of Brampton was excellent when I had the opportunity. A typical day at work would be playing sports or games with children between the ages of 6-12, swimming and supervising lunch. I learned that patience is a key asset when dealing with people especially children & every individual makes a difference in terms of making an impact in a company or another persons' life. The hardest part of the job was dealing with children who were completely unreasonable, time off fun activities or calls to home had no effect of their behavior. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it didn't feel like a job, I was playing games with children which was enjoyable for myself, co-workers & the kids.
Call center
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONApril 18, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: stressful
Successfully facilitate training sessions on new SOP’s, for new and existing employees Facilitate in-class training on city applications Complete on the job training for new employees on call centre procedures, customer service delivery and response and dispatch Create and assemble new hire packages and assist in new hire process Provide internal employees with benefit information and enrolment Assist with benefit provider transition Respond, assess and dispatch customer inquires Received Customer Service Excellence Award by providing exceptional customer service through inbound call centre
Received Team Contributor Award for Quality Assurance Excellence and accurate data entry
Great place to work with many great people to support your development
Camp Director (Current Employee), BramptonAugust 16, 2015
Typical day at work includes:
- Reporting to building supervisor for your specific department
- interacting with customers and participants (parents/children)
- Administering first aid/medication as needed
- Programming room schedules for daily activities
- Assisting with daily set up and takedown

What I learned:
- how to work in a fast paced environment
- Tactics on how to properly interact and provide customer service to paying customers
- Time management tactics (checklists, having a reminder board, completing tasks in order of priority)
- How to work within a team of up to 30 people, making sure the appropriate tasks are being delegated and employee morale is consistent
Great environment to work in and wonderful employees
Health/Safety and Wellness Assistant (Current Employee), BramptonJanuary 24, 2015
I enjoy every day going to work at the City of Brampton. I am kept on my toes learning new things daily. Getting to meet with external and internal clients often makes my job fun because I am a people person. The orginizational culture exceeds my expectations and makes working with the City feel like home.

The hardest part leaving the City to gain more experience and continue my education will be the relationships I have fostered with my collegues. I have been given many opportunities that I am thankful for, but would like to explore other ways to expand my skills and knowledge in the Health and Wellness field .
Great fun and rewarding workplace
Support Specialist (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 18, 2013
• Provide technical assistance to users and clients through phone and email.
• Provide assistance concerning the use of computer hardware and software, including printing, installation, word processing, electronic mail, and operating systems.
• Have good experience in ticketing systems.
• Experience installing and troubleshooting in Windows XP and Windows7 Deployment.
• Manage, document and perform inventory checks on computer equipment and
supplies.
• Provide on-site hardware and software support for remote offices.
• Maintain inventory asset management system as needed.
• Well Knowledge in troubleshooting Desktops and laptops issues.
City of Brampton - School Crossing Guard
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMay 1, 2014
As a School Crossing Guard for the City of Brampton, I can say with all honesty that I love my job and I actually look forward to Monday mornings. Out of all the employers that I had they are the best, my bosses treat me with respect, and value my opinions. The school that I am assigned are filled with nice children, the parents are supportive, and the teachers are wonderful, thus my job of crossing the people at my crossing makes my job easy. Working for the City of Brampton is a positive experience for me and I hope to be employed with them for many years to come.
TBC
Deck Supervisor (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMay 24, 2014
Our Mission Statement - Working together to foster environmental awareness and responsibility by successfully promoting and coordinating opportunities for neighbourhood and community pride in Brampton, through our Adopt-A-Park and 3Rs Educational Programs.

The Brampton Clean City Committee is a committee of City Council made up of concerned citizens who volunteer their time and effort in promoting environmental awareness and a clean community. The Committee meets on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the Council Committee Room, 4th floor at City Hall.
Fun work environment
Deck Supervisor, Lifeguard, Swimming Instructor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 27, 2012
A typical day at work is fun, accomplishing and well worth it. I learned how to effectively communicate with other employees, bosses, and the public. The management was fun and enjoyed making the workplace more comfortable for the employees. My co-workers were great to work with and we all got along. The hardest part of my job was completing the long, 12 hour shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience I gained for communication and leadership throughout the two and a half years there.
ok
Junior Accountant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 7, 2015
• Involved in the careful order picking of products for transfer shipment to other KSP locations
• Responsible for processing damage claims made by customers, and then processing these claims to the vendors
• Involved in delivering KSP items from one location to other KSP locations
• Responsible for receiving new items that are shipped to the warehouse
• Involved in training new hires on the companies 8 step receiving process
• Responsible for inventory control and management to ensure the accuracy of the inventory amounts
A very busy work environment with dedicated staff, and opportunity to grow personally and professionally.
Executive Assistant to the Mayor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONDecember 21, 2015
Pros: Excellent compensation and benefits.
Cons: Overtime often required to meet deadlines.
A very busy work environment, with collegial, dedicated staff working together as a team. Very customer focused environment. Employees are sometimes called upon to work long hours to meed deadlines, but compensation and benefits are excellent. The most enjoyable part of working with the city is the excellent staff.
Was suitable work while I cared for cancer patient at the time
Crossing Guard (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 7, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: had to work in all weather conditions
1.5 hours in morning, 1.5 hours at lunch and 1.5 hours at home time. All weather conditions. I learned that I did not want to work outside any more because it kept making me sick. So I went back to school. Management were awesome. I didn't get to spend any time with co-workers. Hardest part of job was working in extreme weather conditons, and most enjoyable part of job was working with amazing kids.
I learned about recreation parks maintenance.
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 22, 2015
My experience working for the City of Brampton was informative and memorable. I worked in the Community Services and Recreation Department specifically at the Brampton Soccer Centre.
I used my good work ethic while performing tasks and duties assigned. I learned different working styles of my co-workers and managers on the job.

To my deepest remorse my employment ended with the City of Brampton at the Brampton Soccer Centre in 2013.
Productive and fun place to work
Personal Trainer/Floor Staff (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 7, 2013
Typical day of work included fitness assessment/sales. I learned a lot about the health industry and working with individuals of all cultures. The management were helpful but many times were not as productive. Co-workers were great to be around. The hardest part was the professionalism of the job as you are always an employee inside the place of work and outside. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with people everyday.