City of Brampton Employee Reviews

great and positive atmosphere for all workers
Special Needs Camp Leader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 March 2017
As a special needs counsellor, it was challenging to find any reason to want to leave this job with City of Brampton as it is an outstanding opportunity to have. Each day required the same hours (9-4pm), which was a great schedule for me and balancing my life outside of my job. I got the opportunity to learn much more than a lot of people involved in a full time job, as I specifically worked with individuals who created a very bright and positive environment. the management is incredible, especially for students, and very understanding of your needs. It was easy to approach any level of management you need. This job was a great experience, mainly because of the company i worked for and the people involved.
great environment
Ice staff (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 March 2017
This job was very engaging and fulfilling. thee management was very kind and understanding. The environment is fun and welcoming. I learned new communication skills. The team environment is encouraging and upbeat.
Pros
good salary
Cons
not enough hours
Very poor senior management, they were scared of the union
Fleet Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 October 2016
Very poor atmosphere constant pressure on mid management on call all the time no completely free time no family values cared little about peoples personal lifes
Pros
wages benefits
Cons
constant stress
Bad
Skating Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 January 2017
I found it very difficult to work for the city. Salaries are low, there is little to no training and I had many negative experiences with employees. Even with the large work force nobody will ever cover a shift for you and management is constantly changing. They also don't advance people that deserve it. Overall I'm glad I left.
Cons
Fun and social work environment
Fitness Floor Staff (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 January 2017
Working with the City is fun, you're independent and get to teach your class with exercises of your choice. A lot of the members are regulars so they are very talkative and friendly once they get to know you. Co-workers are fun, and the management is easy to get along with and can contact them with whatever inquiries.
Productive learning and reviewing ability in fitness with the City of Brampton
Personal Trainer, Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 March 2017
A typical day consists of communicating with customers and making sure they are satisfied. Responsibilities including cleaning and wiping gym equipment. Throughout the day I will give tours and consultations within the shift. I have learned to try my best when dealing with customers and doing everything in your ability to make them happy. Being introduced to many cultures helps with my customer service experience, i now have the ability to understand customers and assist them with confidence. The hardest part of my job would be having customers complaining about an issue that is out of my control and above managements control as well. The most enjoyable part of the job would be communicating with members and building rapport with individuals.
Pros
Great staff and management, ability to give your opinion
Cons
Short hours, Split shifts
Ciry of Brampton was great for a starter job, not sure if it was the right place for me.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 January 2017
Working for the City of Brampton was a great experience for me, I encountered many different kinds of people who gave me a lifetime of knowledge and experience that i will never forget.
In my 10 years with the City of Brampton, I had many managers who were are beneficial in their own way, the hard part was having them change and relocate very frequently. The most enjoyable part of my experience with working for the City of Brampton was being able to help others through the booking/registration process with out any hassles, and walk out smiling.
Pros
Diverse employment
Cons
frequant managment changes
Overall good experience.
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 March 2017
Overall a good work experience in the 8 years that I worked there. I learnt about teamwork in a challenging environment, as well as having worked with one of the best teams in my career.
Quality program delivery
Recreation Supervisor, KMPSS (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 December 2016
working to enhance the recreation experience for the residents of Brampton.
Recreation and Culture staff are passionate and committed to quality delivery
Pros
growth and development
Fun and welcoming workplace
Deck Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 January 2017
The hours were very flexible and the other employees are fun to work with. The management were understanding and accommodating.
Excellent Organization
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 June 2016
This organization presented opportunites for travel, for promotion, for training in a field that you are passionate about. there were quite a few areas where opportunities were given to me to move up within the organization.
Pros
Loved the people and my job
Enjoyable environment
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 March 2016
Camps started at 8:45 am and ended at 4:15pm. I have learned many valuable skills including organization, team work and scheduling. Management and co-workers are enjoyable and friendly. The hardest part of the job is the long, busy wrk hours and the most enjoyable is making camp fun for all.
Pros
great salary
Customer Service focused environment
Head Transit Service Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 October 2016
Great working environment, high job security, lots of flexibility and support on the job. If you enjoy working with the public this is a great job to do so.
Working at the City of Brampton
Clerk, Business Services W&T(contract) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 March 2016
In the short time I worked at the City of Brampton I had very good relationships with both colleagues and management. I learned how to work within a new software system. The hardest part of the job was ensuring quality customer care for the citizens of the City of Brampton. My job at the City of Brampton was an entry level position for which I feel I was overqualified, but I did enjoy talking to satisfied citizens.
Pros
Good life work/life balance
Cons
Longer periods of downtime
Union ruins everything
Instructor (Part-time) and maintenance (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 April 2016
The full time staff have plenty of job security courtesy of their union, but that security screws over everyone else; especially the part time staff. If you're not full time with the union you are restricted to 24 per week, paid minimum wage, and given little to no hope of advancement and opportunity.

The only benefit of working with the City in any other capacity is the flexibility in the scheduling. It seems the City of Brampton banks on a majority of it's staff being students, therefore the turn over rate for part time positions is high.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Pay rate, lack of opportunity, lack of full time positions, knowing the right people is the heaviest variable in advancement
Great place to work minus the lack of hours
Lead Fitness Floor Staff and Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 January 2017
The city of Brampton only allows for 24 hours/week which isint fair as other municipality allow for a full work week of 40 hours.
Positive work environment and great colleagues
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 December 2016
Everyday begins with a review of what needs to be accomplished and priority jobs to be done by the end of the day. We get our assignments and begin working earnestly asking each other for whatever extra information we need to complete our assignments to the best of our abilities.
Play Hard Work harder
Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 December 2015
Overall it was an average city job. No issues with pay or any of the other workers. We worked hard to get things done and as a team. When people didn't show up for shifts we pulled up our own socks to keep jobs moving. I made it my goal to show up everyday ready to work to help out my fellow workers. It payed off in the end when we were praised for our hard work from our supervisor. The most difficult part of the job was the distance from my home. It was about a 45 min drive with no traffic. Most of the time however I was driving back and forth in those peak hours. The job had a lot of physical labour which I handled pretty well but it was difficult in the beginning. Overall this was a fantastic job and i had a great time working with them but I am looking to do something different and possibly earn a better salary doing so.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Distance to Brampton
Part-timers get shafted
Fitness Staff (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 August 2015
I have been working for the City of Brampton in the Rec and Culture division for the past 4 years.

Pros:

-Experience (boot camps, personal training)
-Friendly co-workers
-Members are great
-Easy to take time off and/or find coverage if needed

Cons:

- Poor Pay
-PAY FREEZE - I haven't received a cent increase, ever
-Hour cap; part-timers get capped at 24 hrs/week
- Part-timers are on seasonal contracts = 0 job security
- WHO you know will get you further than WHAT you know, or how long you've been working for the city
- They pay for NOTHING, no money given for continuing education or recertifications
- Seem like the "big bosses" don't see the big picture, nor communicate with "the little guys" who actually run the programs.
Pros
Friendly staff and members; great work/life balance
Cons
Pay, pay freeze, capped hours, turnover is high
Great place to work part time for students who require a balance of work and school.
Facility Maintenance, (Part- Time) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 June 2016
The required day to day work is enjoyable with a variety of different jobs keeping the day eventful.
I learned a lot from municipal affairs, the daily and monthly task involved with building/ facility management and to dealing with the public.
The hardest part of the job is deciding on where to work in such a large diverse organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Brampton. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Brampton Reviews by Location