CITY OF BRAMPTON Employee Reviews in Canada

Play Hard Work harder
Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 17, 2015
Overall it was an average city job. No issues with pay or any of the other workers. We worked hard to get things done and as a team. When people didn't show up for shifts we pulled up our own socks to keep jobs moving. I made it my goal to show up everyday ready to work to help out my fellow workers. It payed off in the end when we were praised for our hard work from our supervisor. The most difficult part of the job was the distance from my home. It was about a 45 min drive with no traffic. Most of the time however I was driving back and forth in those peak hours. The job had a lot of physical labour which I handled pretty well but it was difficult in the beginning. Overall this was a fantastic job and i had a great time working with them but I am looking to do something different and possibly earn a better salary doing so.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Distance to Brampton
Enjoyable environment
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 27, 2016
Camps started at 8:45 am and ended at 4:15pm. I have learned many valuable skills including organization, team work and scheduling. Management and co-workers are enjoyable and friendly. The hardest part of the job is the long, busy wrk hours and the most enjoyable is making camp fun for all.
Pros
great salary
Cons
A very busy work environment with dedicated staff, and opportunity to grow personally and professionally.
Executive Assistant to the Mayor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 21, 2015
A very busy work environment, with collegial, dedicated staff working together as a team. Very customer focused environment. Employees are sometimes called upon to work long hours to meed deadlines, but compensation and benefits are excellent. The most enjoyable part of working with the city is the excellent staff.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits.
Cons
Overtime often required to meet deadlines.
Super fun work environment, very secure job
Dance Instructor, camp leader (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 24, 2016
The city of Brampton is an ideal workplace.
I have done numerous jobs with the city i.e dance instructor, camp councillor, coach, skills and drills, etc.
Very fun environment with a lot of benefits!!!
Pros
job security, fun
don't work here
Health Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 1, 2016
it pays like a retail job. the salary is bs however co-workers are super nice. no benefits, no future growth opportunities and only a set amount of hours a week. this city really needs to re structure itself.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Working at the City of Brampton
Clerk, Business Services W&T(contract) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 31, 2016
In the short time I worked at the City of Brampton I had very good relationships with both colleagues and management. I learned how to work within a new software system. The hardest part of the job was ensuring quality customer care for the citizens of the City of Brampton. My job at the City of Brampton was an entry level position for which I feel I was overqualified, but I did enjoy talking to satisfied citizens.
Pros
Good life work/life balance
Cons
Longer periods of downtime
Fun but no proper management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  BramptonOctober 1, 2015
The salary is great but this organisation lacks leadership at the middle and upper management level.
They demonstrate the typical "government job" mentality and is not run very efficiently. There is no accountability and wasted resources. Instead of performance management, they just hire more people to get the job done.
Pros
easy to get time off
Horrible Hours but Great Management
Skate Instructor, Skate Guard (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 31, 2015
The 'Head Coaches' are usually very dependable and informative, which is reassuring working in a demanding job. However, the shifts vary from 2-4 hours and there is huge competition to get shifts. Also, the benefits are nothing too special, considering it's a City job. Overall, it's not a bad job but only if you are looking for a little amount of money.
Pros
Great managers
Cons
Horrible Shifts
Part-timers get shafted
Fitness Staff (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 6, 2015
I have been working for the City of Brampton in the Rec and Culture division for the past 4 years.

Pros:

-Experience (boot camps, personal training)
-Friendly co-workers
-Members are great
-Easy to take time off and/or find coverage if needed

Cons:

- Poor Pay
-PAY FREEZE - I haven't received a cent increase, ever
-Hour cap; part-timers get capped at 24 hrs/week
- Part-timers are on seasonal contracts = 0 job security
- WHO you know will get you further than WHAT you know, or how long you've been working for the city
- They pay for NOTHING, no money given for continuing education or recertifications
- Seem like the "big bosses" don't see the big picture, nor communicate with "the little guys" who actually run the programs.
Pros
Friendly staff and members; great work/life balance
Cons
Pay, pay freeze, capped hours, turnover is high
Union ruins everything
Instructor (Part-time) and maintenance (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 17, 2016
The full time staff have plenty of job security courtesy of their union, but that security screws over everyone else; especially the part time staff. If you're not full time with the union you are restricted to 24 per week, paid minimum wage, and given little to no hope of advancement and opportunity.

The only benefit of working with the City in any other capacity is the flexibility in the scheduling. It seems the City of Brampton banks on a majority of it's staff being students, therefore the turn over rate for part time positions is high.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Pay rate, lack of opportunity, lack of full time positions, knowing the right people is the heaviest variable in advancement
Fun and Flexible Workplace
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 12, 2016
My best memory at work was when I got to open the pool and was the first one there. The silence before all the clients was a nice feeling. Getting to open the pool and making sure everything was in check was fun. Typical day starts off guarding the pool for our early guest that love to fitness swim. Following up would be teaching the adults to swim then the students are at school. Next would be the kids turn to learn how to swim. Followed by a public swim and a fitness swim to close out the day.
Pros
Trade Hours with Co workers
Cons
Cold when wet
Fun work place during the summer
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 2, 2016
I have worked with the city of Brampton since 2003. I have enjoyed my experience with the city. During my time as a camp counselor, a typical day was meeting the kids and playing interactive activities until 9 o'clock when camp starts. During the day, we played sports such as hockey, soccer, discus, javelin, and many more. A big part of my job was to make sure that the kids were able to have fun and encourage team building skills with different types of games. Being a camp counselor taught me discipline and leadership skills. The management was very genuine and made sure that the staff always were always in a good mood. They communicated everything and anything that they felt was important. My co-workers are what made my day extra special. You build a very strong bond with them over the summer and make memories for the rest of you life. I would say the hardest part of the job is having to discipline the kids that don't want to listen. Very often though, the kids are respectful and enjoy being at camp. The best part of my job seeing all of my co-workers and the kids having a great time. This always puts a smile on my face.
Pros
Playing sports and activities while getting paid.
Cons
Disciplining the kids that don't listen
Great Workplace!
Bar/Lounge Attendant, Snack Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  BramptonJuly 4, 2015
I've been employed here for more than 5 years. It has grest job security, decent job movement, however it does have its cons as well depending on the type of deparement as I have been around several.

Pros:
Great Staff
Good Job Security

Cons:
Poor Compensation
Unorganized at times
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Poor Pay
Great place to work part time for students who require a balance of work and school.
Facility Maintenance, (Part- Time) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 12, 2016
The required day to day work is enjoyable with a variety of different jobs keeping the day eventful.
I learned a lot from municipal affairs, the daily and monthly task involved with building/ facility management and to dealing with the public.
The hardest part of the job is deciding on where to work in such a large diverse organization.
Great job if you love working with children.
Seasonal Inclusive Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 5, 2016
With this job, you meet a lot of new people, which include children, co-workers, and parents. You have to be very social and active.The shifts are great, and management is very understanding.
Fun workplace with a small office
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 16, 2016
I learned how to work in a team solve situations in the pool.
I learned how to communicate with children and their parents to help them achieve their swimming goals.
Pros
Kind staff, feels like a family
Cons
working the night shift.
Very fun envoiroment and very good team environment!
Volunteer with the Brampton Animal Shelter (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 12, 2016
I was a snowboard instructor and loved it. All my co-workers were great. Lots of hours and many oppurtinities to find work. Easy to get timne off when needed!
Pros
Lots of hours!
Cons
Lots of training!
a great time
Landscaper (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 17, 2015
a typical day at work would be 8-10 hours and get paid good money and have a good time also a couple breaks and a ping pong table would be sick
Pros
free lunches
Fun
Swim Instructor and Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 12, 2016
amazing job if you love children and/or have an outgoing / positive attitude!
Typical shift is anywhere from 2-5 hours
Management is very friendly and understanding
Pros
good shifts, great co workers
Cons
chlorine rashes :(
Productive and safe workplace.
Lifeguard/Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 1, 2016
Coworkers and staff were very friendly and approachable. Kids and parents were fun to work with and overall it was a good experience in terms of teamwork, communication and customer service.