Citi
1,987 reviews

Citi Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Citibank-False promises and too high of expectations
Processor (Former Employee), Ann arborSeptember 25, 2014
Cons: repressing, disorganized, managers do not know how to do their jobs
My experience at Citibank as a processor was one of great disdain. The company offers no room for professional development and looks at their employees as replaceable and has no regard for what their employees need to be healthy both physically or mentally. I felt repressed in every way by management from the way they speak to you to the rules they – more... give their individual teams. For example, the "Signature" team I was transferred to after 6 months of working there had "higher expectations" for the employees and we were not allowed to talk to other co-workers on other teams or be caught doing anything that was not Citi-related. It was an awful experience in every sense of the word. I do not recommend this company unless you do not care about being repressed and are just in it for the money, which is not that great anyway. – less
Offers corporate environment
Account Executive (Former Employee), Summerville, SCSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: free lunch, bonuses, career advancements, career track
Cons: scheduling, obstacles that are often not considered
Organization offers a great compensation and benefits package that exceeds most organizations in the demographics. Organization is corporate and offers employees a method of reporting grievances and general concerns, which is important in a right to work state. There are multiple facets for advancement. The organization, however, does not have a healthy – more... balance in comparison to most when considering home/family life. The corporate machine places a high demand on employees, who often have to forfeit family time to meet these demands. – less
National Investor's Center Service Representative (Current Employee), San AntonioSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: pay raises capped
Citi is a wonderful place to work. They have good benefits and matching 401k contributions is a bounus.
This job screams for a Union. workers here need a voice
Financial analyst/Customer service call center (Former Employee), Tampa, FloridaSeptember 24, 2014
Cons: short breaks cause you had to sign off p.c. on your time & advise
Sweatshop atmosphere, Management doesn't stick up for employees
It was the worst job I have ever had in my life. Every month something new was added to your job duties but pay never went up.
Ehh..
Homeowner Support Specialist (Former Employee), tucson, arizonaSeptember 23, 2014
Good pay/benefits. no job security. there is always lay-offs or terminations randomly.
Good Company to work for
Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee), Jacksonville, flSeptember 23, 2014
Good company and great benefits. Rise in interest rates created mass layoffs industry wide.
A/R Account Manager (Former Employee), Centennial, COSeptember 23, 2014
Fast paced, stressful, results driven. Flexible hours, poorly trained management, great co-workers. The hardest part of the job was meeting your goals and staying within the FDCPA rules.
Great Company
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), baltimore, MDSeptember 23, 2014
Great work life balance.
flexible hours and scheduling
co-workers we great
Great place to gain experience
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Las Colinas, TXSeptember 22, 2014
Loved working for Citi. Many benefits. Great work environment and people
Credit Analyst (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2014
 Compare and analyze liquidity, profitability, and credit histories of companies being evaluated with similar establishments to determine risk and functionality of operations.
 Analyzing credit of the business to determine and assess overall debt to loan worthiness
 Help establish, maintain, and manage client relationships and client portfolio's – more... in relation to the banking industry
 Underwriting mid-corporate credit facilities for clients ranging from $50MM to $3B in revenue
 Used historical financial data and built operating models to determine pro forma leverage, debt service capacity, and covenant compliance
 Formally Credit Trained - via Citibank's Commercial Credit training program in New York City – less
Results oriented financial instituion rebuilding the firm the right way.
Senior Vice President, Global Operations Analyst (Current Employee), Irving TexasSeptember 21, 2014
Citi has come a long way since 2007 and has the right principles in place at its core. The size and global footprint creates an unrivaled bureaucratic
Great benefits, but you earn it.
Bankruptcy Specialist III (Current Employee), Florence, KYSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: benefits are great, co-workers are usually great
Cons: if you're not "in" forget about advancing, regardless of your qualifications. mid-management has little to no clue, or is directed by those who have little to no clue.
DISCLAIMER: My perceptions below are simply my observations and opinions which have accumulated during my tenure at said company, and have neither been proven legally nor are meant in any way to affect one's perception or opinions of doing business with said company.

The good:

I love my co-workers - you simply could not ask for a better group of people – more... by and large- and my jobs that I have held here have been satisfying. They have a cafeteria and a work out gym on site. Benefits are awesome~ health insurance, 401k, stock investing. They have an over the top charity drive for United Way every year and you can donate pre-tax out of your paycheck. It is a young at heart culture, and workers of ALL ages, cultures, races and lifestyles are represented.

Citi encourages volunteer times for workers to give back to the community and gives workers one 8-hour day to do so per year. There are opportunities for some people to carve out their own niche if they like you. They are very family-friendly, which is nice to see. Dress is business casual and opportunities for "dress down" passes to be earned by workers. There are yearly raises with pay scale caps. Tuition reimbursement is offered.

Citi offers "skip level meetings" with the boss ABOVE your boss, for things such as status meetings on issues and processes. Most people ARE trying to make things better.

The bad & ugly:

(Apply disclaimer here, please.)

MY PERCEPTIONS and EXPERIENCE as employee: Employed currently, LESS THAN 10 years/MORE THAN 2 years:

Management makes it nearly impossible to do things in an efficient manner for the general worker. Mid-management is basically ineffective and nepotism is in full force.

It used to take me 15 mins a day to input my daily time worked into their time keeping system; it now takes me 1 hour at minimum. Seriously. After keeping track of my time via Excel to the MINUTE (you have to separate productive and non-productive times), AND entering THAT into their time keeping system additionally, they change the system and now log productive times by when one logs into a certain program (that we use all day.) Mind you we have to log OUT of said program every time we leave the desk (ie., bathroom, meetings, breaks, lunch.) The longer you're logged into this program, the more it counts against you for your efficiency at the end of the month on your scorecard. It is NOT a good indicator of one's efficiency since there are SO MANY other steps to our process that have to be effected. If that confused you, add on top of that so many changes coming down the pike that we cannot keep track of them all. Workers simply do not have TIME to read all of the updates and emails regarding specific processes: unproductive time counts against our scorecards.

So let me further explain: Unproductive time counts against us, AND if we stay logged in as "productive" all day, the larger amount of logged productive time counts against our final scores.

What was relatively frustrating at start has become an overwhelming amount of blatant ignorance, as mid-to low management tries to decide how to keep themselves relevant at the expense of efficiency of the regular worker and cost to the shareholders, clients and/or customers, and become one of the reasons I am seeking other employment. Six Sigma would have a FIELD DAY with this place - and would likely walk out.

Policy tells workers that if we have a problem, contact HR and the managers claim "open door policy", however, I have never seen a positive outcome for any worker who has had a legitimate issue. At the very LEAST, you're "unofficially blackballed*" (*not proven but perception and experience says otherwise) and at the most you might be fired. They do not like to fire, per se, and will most likely put a worker on a "disciplinary plan".

Citi's handbook and vision statement says it is "a meritocracy" (meaning, every person is judged based on his or her merit.) Last month, my team got 2/3 of our scorecard (that's 67% of one's scorecard) as "across the board" scores, meaning, they were not individually-earned scores, they were team scores. That is NOT a meritocracy. But that is okay because next month the criteria for scorecards will change yet AGAIN, just as it has each month of the last four months. Reviews happen monthly.

Thoughts to pass along additionally: Having a college education does not get you farther up the ladder if you're not "in". Masters degrees are paid same as Bachelor's - It's a job scale pay. If your job is (example) level 10, you're not paid more because you have a MA degree and co-worker in your level does not. It's the same pay for the whole level.

In summary:

If you were in a war and you kept changing the game plan, your soldiers would have no confidence and you would never accomplish the objective.

Buy some Tums and Mylanta before embarking upon employment here.

Don't eat the pizza.

Learn to like construction paper. – less
Great environment and great people
Branch Administrator (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 21, 2014
Good company and great location. I decided to leave and form my own company.
Great
Senior Branch Account Executive (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VASeptember 20, 2014
CitiFinancial seeks to provide best-in-class servicing to our customers. Each of our Servicing Centers offers extended hours of operation, efficient customer service, and dedicated personal attention to meet our customers' needs. In addition, we offer a variety of tools designed to give you the flexibility to manage your account either online or in – more... the office. – less
Productive coporate environment
Administrative assistant (Former Employee), New York NYSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: excellent benifits.
Cons: while moving further away the commute became extremely tough
A typical day at work would be logging vacation time, setting up meetings and booking travel arrangments.

How to build my skills

Management was excellent

My co-worker were a well educated diverse group of hardworking people.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working will a great team.
Good entry for early professionals
IBM WebSphere MQ Systems SME (Current Employee), Warsaw, PolandSeptember 19, 2014
A lot of good opportunities in Citi. However India based staff makes working difficult.
Good paying for oncalls ;)
Collection Agent
Collection Representative (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: paycheck
Cons: high turn-over ratio
inbound outbound call center - very stressful mindless work. not able to sink my teeth into this due to complications at home.
not a nice managed company
Change Management SME (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: you can work at home
Cons: no new things to learn
a lot of reviews, with no sense at all. The manager does not know what you do since she is not there. If you do well on what you were told, that is just OK. You should do something manager never think of and sell it let the manager buys it. Otherwise you are not a good employee. If I am so much better then my manager, why I am the employee and she is – more... the manager? – less
I learned a lot and loved working with the team
Executive response Unit agent was my last position (Former Employee), Irving, TXSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: advancement and benefits.
Cons: laid off after almost 8 years
Duties ranged as I was promoted and changed areas so everything from outbound to inbound calls for customer service and collections to leading a team, sending status reports, training, coaching and developing.
Great environment
Unemployment Claims Adjudicator (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: great cafeteria food for an office building
Cons: i often took one 15 minute break.
Typical day at work was calm.

I learned unemployment codes within the state of TX laws regarding employers and employees.

Good management team.

Good co-workers and many are still friends.

Hardest part of jobs was rejecting unemployment benefits and having to call the insureds. Those were heart-breaking because unemployed persons need salaries to – more... support themselves and their families.

Most enjoyable part is often times, we can help declined claims and it made you feel better about yourself for going the extra mile. Every bit helps. – less