Citadel Village is a Seniors Independent and Assisted Living Community in St. Albert. We are currently recruiting for the following position: Licensed Practical Nurse FTE 1.0 Nights.
The LPN provides care for individuals, families, and groups in a residential health care setting while providing clinical and administrative support. The LPN is accountable for the delivery of patient care utilizing the nursing process within the standards, policies, procedures, and guidelines of Citadel Village.
Delivers resident-focused care within full scope of practice of a LPN, in a home-like environment, respecting the individuality and dignity of each resident/family and co-workers including the completion of the following duties:
1. Provide direct care by assessing resident health needs – recording of vital signs, discusses and records chief health concerns, performs tests, administers injections and medications, dressing changes, immunizations, etc.
2. Supervises and evaluates work performance in terms of resident care, staff relations, and efficiency of service.
3. Directs work of nursing assistants based on resident needs, available staff, and unit needs.
4. Provides assistance and guidance to nursing team as required.
5. Evaluates individual employee work performance through observation and spot checking work completed; initiates disciplinary action according to policies and procedures.
6. Participates in the planning of nursing care, occupational health and safety programs, community health programs, or other health-related programs.
7. Places phone calls to pharmacies to order prescriptions; sets up referral contacts.
8. Documents patient care observations and activities according to professional standards and procedures.
9. Thoroughly educates and explains procedures to residents and family members and assists them in coping with illnesses.
10. Assists in emergency situations under the direction of the supervisor.
11. Maintains confidentiality regarding patient and business functions of the facility.
12. Maintains required records including specimen, maintenance, daily, weekly, and monthly logs.
13. Obtains specimens (throat, urine, stool, wound, sputum, other body fluids, etc.), using proper technique and following policies and procedures for labeling.
14. Aids in identifying methods of improving patient care.
15. Maintains current knowledge and skills in clinical practice, attends required in-services and staff meetings, and promotes professional growth for self and staff development.
16. Functions independently and assumes responsibility for actions in clinical procedures.
17. Assists with studies related to improvement of nursing care.
18. Ensures the unit is stocked with medications and nursing supplies for all shifts.
- Graduate of an accredited school of Practical Nursing with current license to practice as an LPN in the Province of Alberta.
- Two years of nursing experience in a health care institution is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, practical nursing theory, and practice.
- Ability to apply therapeutic treatment as prescribed.
- Ability to supervise, direct, and train a staff of nurses and nurses aids.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general periodicals, professional documents, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and routine business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, residents, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain schedules.
- Must have a strong understanding of the English language.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Proficient with Internet Explorer.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a health care team.
- A commitment to life-long learning.
- Understanding, patient, gentle, and non-judgmental.
- Mature and dependable.
- Outstanding customer service focus.
- Willing and able to keep information about residents confidential.
- Respect the resident’s right to privacy and to be treated with dignity.
Other Bona-Fide Occupational Requirements:
- Physically and mentally fit to perform the duties of the position (may be required to lift, move, push, or pull objects weighing up to 75 pounds).
- The employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, toxic/caustic chemicals, bodily fluids, etc.
- Ability to work on his/her feet for a complete shift while constantly bending, stretching, walking, lifting or moving things.
- A current and clear Criminal Records Check is required for all new site-based employees.
- Physically capable of performing assigned duties within a flexible work schedule inside a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week operation.