Cineplex Employee Reviews

The managers are bullies in Red Deer
Box office, concession, and usher (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 November 2015
I worked at this place for almost two years and got passed over for promotions many, many times. I trained the people that got promoted to Supervisor, Asst. Manager and Teller. Countless kids would come to me about how the GM was treating them and claiming they couldn't do anything about it, I always told them to go to HR and the Labor Standards Board. I emailed HR on two different occasions about the GM with my own problems and nothing was done about it or him. This company is only in it for the money, the employees mean nothing to them because there is always another naive kid to take your place if you try to fight for your rights. APPLICANTS BEWARE!!!!!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
THE MANAGERS
Friendly work environment, great for starting out
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2016
I think that working at Cineplex is a great introductory job that teaches you a lot of the basics, and the skills you'll need for future careers.
good
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2016
it is good its good great good wonderful its good why yall making me write dis huh imma get bare thumbs down still but its all cool i is smartt very smart kbye
Entertainment company
Part Time Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 August 2016
Entertainment company that provides a variety of different roles within the Cineplex community, I worked as floor member and a concession member.
Pros
free movies
fun at first but watch your back
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 November 2015
Worked as a cast member for 3 years. There's always something to do so you don't get bored, but after a while it just stops being enjoyable.

Management is hit or miss. They either care about you and have your back, or are tripping on their power and are too busy scolding you over minor problems to help you. (At my theatre employees would get yelled at in front of their co-workers or even customers all the time and nothing ever got done about it.) But even the nice managers will take things very personally if you have a problem. Pick your poison between people with power unintentionally or intentionally starting drama, I guess. Regardless they all play favourites without bothering to hide it. Our Cast Member of the Month system was always rigged. The same people always get more of the easier & slower matinee shifts. If they don't like you they will try to penalize you for things you do outside of work even if you do not break any rules or policies.

Perks like events for cast members are alright but I never felt like I could just show up to a BBQ and hang out with the same people that screwed me out of a break when I'd do long shifts or tried writing me up because my black socks were all in the wash.

You're expected to make a lot of customers happy literally thousands of people if it's a busy weekend or holiday, but you're making the same wages as someone who works at McDonald's. I did fast food before this and there is absolutely not as much demanded of you there for the same hourly wage. The prospect of "merit based" raises is out there but either they can't ever seem
  more... to afford it or they just quietly give it to the employees they're buddies with.

Co workers are good people because you'll be working with 100 or so people that are in the same situation as you so everyone else sees the problems. Sometimes the star children got away with starting fights though.

It can be a rewarding job you'll learn a lot from but take the people in charge with a grain of salt.
Pros
employee perks (discounts, tuition, movie passes, parties & appreciation events), co-workers fun to be around, you will learn lots and become a better worker
Cons
micromanagement, poor work/life balance, low wages, high pressure, favouritism, nasty attitude amongst management, disregard for workers' rights
Excellent place with open culture
Purchasing and Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 September 2015
A typical day of work consisted of doing my job correctly and enjoying it even though it was not so stimulating. I learned the world of purchasing and corporate sales my short time there and grateful for it. Management was alright, they seemed to be absent a lot of the times and didn't get a proper feel for their employees. The co-workers were typically all nice and well liked.
Pros
Outings and open culture
Cons
lack of communication with management
Its ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 July 2016
Not horrible. but its pretty good. Managers are very caring and flexible with schedules. Working there was fun. Recommend working there to gain experience and meet new people!
work was bareable.
Concession/Floor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2012
A typical day at work is coming in 30 minutes before to make sure i swipe in within the last 5 minutes. After that I will go grab my till and sign in on this computer so I can have money in my cash register, I will than have to wait for someone to walk me over to main concession. As I get there I will make popcorn verify that everyone has lids and cups trays and kid trays. I will than take orders or help others if I'm not busy. When were on our last hour of work we will start to clean up and put away the nachos and fill up the candy section. In my opinion my salary was not worth all the work I was doing, $9.60 hourly rate.
Pros
disounts on break only.
Cons
long hours on school days, far traveling. when coming late it was pointless calling management, no one answered nor read the voicemails
An interactive and social workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON1 January 2016
A typical day at work would be walking in, starting the day off by greeting guests, and selling cineplex concession items. The management team is motivating and understanding. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting different guests everyday and providing happiness by giving them their movie tickets. You gain customer service experience, cleaning experience, and retail experience.
Pros
Free movies
Productive workplace with interesting people
Cineplex Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2016
Working at Cineplex had a lot of benefits, they had flexible hours, and friendly workers.I enjoyed the people I worked with and have learned a lot about customer service and how to handle certain situations. It was an amazing place to work.
Pros
Lots of benefits; free movies
Cons
Not enough hours
Super fun place to work!
Outtakes staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2015
So far I've had a very positive experience working for Cineplex! The hours and pay aren't bad if you're just looking to put extra cash in your pocket. All the employees are friendly and talk to each other like they're family. The management are very nice and do not have that "I am better than you petty employees" vibe like most managers have, All in all I love working here!
Pros
Commission in concession, decent hours, works around your schedule, fun employees, friendly management
Cons
slow in the early morning/afternoon, minimum wage
Positive work environment.
Cineplex Odeon Cinemas Concessions Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2016
An average day at work consisted of a seven hour shift with a thirty minute break. We were usually busy which made the time go by quickly.The managers were very understanding and my fellow employees were very friendly.I found that making popcorn while serving customers to be the most difficult. Overall Cineplex was a great place to work.
Pros
Free cast popcorn and cast drinks.
Cons
Distance from where I live
A decent job for someone with a tight availability.
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON14 September 2014
Working at cineplex has its benefits but it also lacks in other areas
The pay is minimum for everyone under full-time management, with supervisors receiving 25 cents more and assistant managers about 75 cents more per hour. There's no real chance for a raise if you're just a part time employee and depending on the time of year and what movies happen to be released that year, the amount of hours available fluctuates GREATLY. On slow days you can be sent home early because they need to save hours, good for those that want to just leave that day, but bad for those that are trying to make money. The job has its rewards like almost never having to pay for a movie, and getting discounts on food. If you're trying to make money during the summer this is a good job, but if you're trying to save throughout the year and earn a stable paycheque then you're better off somewhere else.
Pros
Flexible schedule, free movies, good work environment.
Cons
Hard to find hours during dead seasons, no raises under management, sometimes work past 1 am.
Good place to start off when young, only good thing it has is flexibility
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 September 2015
Super flexible, you can craft your schedule the way you want by taking or getting rid of shifts by trading with your co-workers

100+ employees meant someone is most of the time willing to cover your shift or you can take a shift

You deal with many people on your worse of nights and fight boredom on your less than stellar days

They're open 365 days a year, so you can work Stat. holidays and get paid more

Managers aren't collectively together so messages weren't always delivered to you about promotions and changes that happen overnight, it is like another high-school where drama and theft happens in the workplace

You aren't paid for your 15 min breaks, let alone even get one if you work more than 4 hours.
Pros
flexible, always open = more shifts, can pick up and give shifts with ease
Cons
no paid breaks, very petty and you have to kiss up to managers to get noticed
Fun!
Part time Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 July 2016
Great place for my 1st part time job, I learned a lot if my customer service skills here. Made some long lasting friends! It was a lot of fun!
Fast-paced and friendly working environment.
frontline cook/ concession attendant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON20 November 2015
A typical day at work was attending to the guest at the movie theater and always go above and beyond to make a lasting impression. One thing that sticks with me till this day is, "Deliver An Exceptional Guest Service Experience."
I learned the intricacies of the customer service industry.
I learned good communication skills and interpersonal skills. For example. How to upsell, how to stock merchandise, how to be neat and tidy.
The co-workers were from all different walks of life and backgrounds.
The co-workers were friendly for the most part but at times can be selfish. With that being said if you would ask for help; there response would be ask someone else or the Team Leader. Don't get me wrong your work life is not your personal and Cineplex thought me how to be a professional individual.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with rushes and showtimes and keeping a smile on your face because of the fast-paced work environment. As an employee of Cineplex you were always on your feet.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the free movie voucher every pay stub.
It's a nice place to work.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2016
It's a good place to work they just don't give enough shifts to the people that need them. The people there are really nice and it's a good environment to work in.
Pros
Good place to work/
Cons
Not enough shifts
Productive Workplace
Booth Staff/Projectionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2015
The job offers step by step tutorial for newcomers that will take them in a higher position. I learned from cleaning theaters to selling food/tickets to handling an old projector all in 2 years working for this company. Management are very flexible with schedules and very organized. Co-workers may be tough to work with at first, but once everyone gets to know one another everything will be fun and exciting to work with. Hardest part of the job when I made an mistake in front of my guest, but I learned from my past mistake and resolved all of the errors I made. Most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone is working hard to make every guest happy, and feel comfortable in the theater.
Pros
Free movie tickets and benefits
Cons
N/A
Fun workplace with an inviting atmosphere
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
This job has been very fun. As an employee, you get to learn a lot of interpersonal skills when interacting with guests and co-workers. I can say that I never have an awful day working at Cineplex!
Good Experience
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 April 2015
There are several positions that you could work as a cast member: concession, floor, box office, outtakes, and yoyo's to name a few. Working at Cineplex you will acquire the benefits of getting the experience in the customer service industry. In my experience, I would say management displayed a lot of favoritism, and it showed in scheduling, promotions, and treatment to the employees. The co-workers for the most part were friendly, but sometimes the atmosphere reminded me of high-school, a lot of "cliques" and drama. The hardest part of the job was probably the late hours, I've been scheduled to work as late as 1am, and would clock out at 3 am. Consider your weekends gone too. The most enjoyable part of the job is the cast passes (free movies) and the cast food discount of course, our theater was unionized and we had a lot of opportunities to get perks and tuition bursaries. We also received paid breaks, 2 weeks vacation per year, and there are opportunities to receive scholarships for those in post-secondary school. Overall the experience was a good one, I would recommend the job to anyone looking for a part-time job and doesn't mind the late hours.
Pros
50% discount on concession items, free cast passes, tuition bursaries, unionized (paid breaks)
Cons
Late hours, Favoritism, Low Pay

2.8