Cineplex Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON4 April 2017
The management team at Cineplex is unorganized and can be very rude. The panic and stress that they provide to their workers is not only unprofessional but very rude.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
flexible but not for the long term
Part-time employee (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2017
a typical day at my job at cineplex is working at the box office. i usually sell tickets and process refunds. the guests are probably the worst part of the job because they get mad over every little things. management is ok. they give us short hours and barely any shifts in the summer which sucks.
Pros
free popcorn, free movies
Cons
short hours, bad management
Good Atmosphere
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 March 2017
Cineplex is a great part time job that allows you to grow within the company. They have a great atmosphere and it is an awesome first job. It allows you to gain experience and the management is friendly and willing to work with you!
Flexible
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON30 March 2017
It is great when you are in school, not so much afterward. There is not much room for advancement. The pay is not great as well. But that is good for the investors.
Fun Environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2017
Great place for part time work! Fun, exciting people to spend hours with. Out Takes is a fast paced section of cineplex, handling food and dealing with customers is first priority. Closing is time consuming making for late nights; all dishes must be washed, food taken out, garbage's emptied, surfaces cleaned and everything locked up. There is a great team in place, so every staff member becomes a good friend.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Very wasteful; all food is thrown away at night.
Terrible general manager
Bar/Floor staff (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS28 March 2017
Staff there are great, along with most of the managment but the general manager does not treat people right. The work was usually fast paced which is good to make time go by.
Better first than permanant
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 March 2017
It can be busy but it can also be slow. Most managers are kind, understanding and will understand your concerns. I do enjoy working here but there are the off days. Benefits are hit and miss and rules regarding them are a little askew. You may get some information regarding discounted food that may contradict other information.The trainer we have is fantastic and very friendly but our team leaders are kind of just there and don't really offer much guidance. You can get some pretty steady hours and can always pick up shifts if needed. Hours can go late which is bad for high school students who have to wake up early for school the next day. Cash incentive has actually been taken away and replaced with a point system which can be redeemed for prizes. It is a good first job but probably better to go with retail experience first in case this job doesn't work out. Always good to have a second job as well because only people who have been promoted get raises. I have been there for a long time and still only make minimum wage.
Pros
Discounted food, free movies, flexible hours, Tuition assistance
Cons
Discount when you work, Tuition assistance if you maintain 2.5 average, minimum wage unless you are promoted
Cast Member
Cineplex Employee (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 March 2017
Had a mixed experience. Work was fun but at this location it is very drama based, managers would get involved with the drama going on with their coworkers. Not professional at all.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Drama
Not many Hours, fun Team
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON27 March 2017
Only 1-2 shifts a week, Cast Trainers were rude and acted like they owned the theatre, Some mangers were alright but would put them selves in your personal life and started gossip. Very high school.
Pros
Free Movies
Cons
little hours, shift cutts, Cast Trainers
My co workers are the only thing that make it bearable
Cast member (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 March 2017
they dont care about their workers at all! they do the bare minimum they have to for everyone. rude managment. always understaffed and half the things in the building dont even work! Hopefully the other theatres are better..
Pros
half off food (only while working)
Cons
everything
Alright
Stock/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 March 2017
I work every section and much of the time get extra tasks while the rest of the cast sit around including management. Money is money in my eyes though and I'm fine working for it but I would like some appreciation and to know everyone is trying as hard as I am
Pros
Money
Cons
Changing hours 5 shifts one week 2 the next, underappreciated, not high enough pay for 3 years of loyalty
Fun workplace,enjoyable experience
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON8 March 2017
Cineplex has ups and downs, depending on the movies playing depends on how busy the work day is, the work is easy and not strenuous. Occasionally there are some difficult customers, but usually the people are friendly and courteous
Great Place
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 March 2017
I love it and it's great to work here since everyone is so friendly. It's a great starting job as it teaches you the basics of the work environment and how to stay focused.
You come home smelling of popcorn.
Concession Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 March 2017
I worked in concession, so a normal day consists of cash handling, working a point of sale terminal (filling food orders), offering promotions on combos, lots of up-selling the normal orders to combos to earn incentives. It a high pressure, fast paced environment, must do well under pressure to work at this job.
Pros
free movies
Great for students
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON1 March 2017
The job itself is not hard if you enjoy fast paced customer service like in fast food, You are trained well and it is not hard to learn the job. It gives you a great work/social balance with its flexible scheduling and shifts can easily be traded or given out. I'd recommend this job to whoever is currently in school wether that be secondary or post secondary.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Not many shifts
Good Company
Film Settlements Associate, AP Assoicate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2017
Cineplex is a good company. I want to focus on the Accounts Payable and work closer to home.

I spend a lot of time on traffic everyday.
fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2017
Really enjoyed working with the people their. It was a nice work environment. Having free movies drinks and popcorn was pretty nice too. I would recommend that you would go work here for a first job
Pros
free movies
Cons
short breaks
Minimum Wage but Maximum Expectations
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON26 February 2017
If you're in high school, retired or just looking for something casual this is an alright place to work. Once you start taking it seriously or want to advance it gets really tough. If you work hard and do well you'll only be rewarded with harder work, more work, and higher expectations with only a token 25 cent raise to show for it. People who slack off are never disciplined for it and you're expected to make up the work. Your ability to advance depends on the location and size of the theatre. If you're in a small town you have to wait until someone moves on or retires. When I was promoted it took a while to actually get the promised raise and training, and new hires were not informed of the hierarchy which caused some confusion as to who had authority and where. Basically there is very little incentive to succeed. They even changed the commission system for concession to a points system that is far below what you would earn on cash system there used to be. Plus they go around trying to cut costs through low wage, no benefits, and other measures and then turn around and hand you the company newsletter praising how profitable the company is. They pay you lip service saying that cast are "the engine that drives the train" but you can't help but wonder if you're so integral why you feel like you don't have anything real to show for it.
Pros
Free popcorn and drinks on shift, half price food, free movie tickets
Cons
Nights, weekends and holidays, minimum wage, abuse is rewarded
Good place for first job
Frontline (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS25 February 2017
The theater is a good place to work for a first job it is not to high stress and you can learn lots of stuff start in concessions and outtakes and move to floor box or birthday parties. Management depends on the person some of the management is very nice and easy to talk to others not so much. Overall I enjoyed working at the theater until my last 6 months there or so when the management changed a lot.
Don't.
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Red Deer County, AB24 February 2017
Just don't. I've worked here for almost 3 years. Management is terrible. Fellow cast are the only reason I've stayed. I'm still at minimum wage after my entire time working here, not one raise. The management is horrible, angry, moody people who see you as just a number, and just as easily replaced. Favouritism is a massive problem here, if the managers don't like you, don't expect to be treated like a human being. No thanks yous or anything of the sort if you do a good job. Pat yourself and your fellow cast on the back - because that's all you're gonna get.

Everything is always broken. You're thinking "tell the managers right away if something broke!" Well, yes and no. If you do, you'll be blamed for breaking it. If you don't, you'll be yelled at because you didn't. Pick your poison.

Everything is always pinned on you if something goes wrong. The scheduling system is stupid to say the least. I can no longer access mine, and am forced to call the office every week to get it. If they mess up while they're reading the schedule to you, it's on you. Trust me. Late by 15 minutes because of something that was out of your control? Too bad, you're about to get yourself a write up.

Guests will jump down your throat for the tiniest things - management will too. Working in concession you get used to being verbally abused, it actually takes you aback when you get a complement.

All in all, I like my job, I like my fellow cast members, but the management will make you cry. (not joking, actually happened many times to other cast members)
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cineplex. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8