Cineplex Employee Reviews in Canada

Super fun place to work!
Outtakes staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2015
So far I've had a very positive experience working for Cineplex! The hours and pay aren't bad if you're just looking to put extra cash in your pocket. All the employees are friendly and talk to each other like they're family. The management are very nice and do not have that "I am better than you petty employees" vibe like most managers have, All in all I love working here!
Pros
Commission in concession, decent hours, works around your schedule, fun employees, friendly management
Cons
slow in the early morning/afternoon, minimum wage
Fun starting job
team member (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 3, 2015
Cineplex is a good starting job if you are looking for full time and or part time work , the people are friendly and the pay isnt to bad , they have great discounts for employees
Pros
Good benfits
Cons
Not enough hrs
Decent job for part-time employees
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 29, 2015
Not many opportunities offered. Very few recognition incentives and isn't as flexible compared to other jobs. It's a challenging company to work with in terms of work life balance.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
work life balance
fun at first but watch your back
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 27, 2015
Worked as a cast member for 3 years. There's always something to do so you don't get bored, but after a while it just stops being enjoyable.

Management is hit or miss. They either care about you and have your back, or are tripping on their power and are too busy scolding you over minor problems to help you. (At my theatre employees would get yelled at in front of their co-workers or even customers all the time and nothing ever got done about it.) But even the nice managers will take things very personally if you have a problem. Pick your poison between people with power unintentionally or intentionally starting drama, I guess. Regardless they all play favourites without bothering to hide it. Our Cast Member of the Month system was always rigged. The same people always get more of the easier & slower matinee shifts. If they don't like you they will try to penalize you for things you do outside of work even if you do not break any rules or policies.

Perks like events for cast members are alright but I never felt like I could just show up to a BBQ and hang out with the same people that screwed me out of a break when I'd do long shifts or tried writing me up because my black socks were all in the wash.

You're expected to make a lot of customers happy literally thousands of people if it's a busy weekend or holiday, but you're making the same wages as someone who works at McDonald's. I did fast food before this and there is absolutely not as much demanded of you there for the same hourly wage. The prospect of "merit based" raises is out there but either they can't ever seem
  more... to afford it or they just quietly give it to the employees they're buddies with.

Co workers are good people because you'll be working with 100 or so people that are in the same situation as you so everyone else sees the problems. Sometimes the star children got away with starting fights though.

It can be a rewarding job you'll learn a lot from but take the people in charge with a grain of salt.
Pros
employee perks (discounts, tuition, movie passes, parties & appreciation events), co-workers fun to be around, you will learn lots and become a better worker
Cons
micromanagement, poor work/life balance, low wages, high pressure, favouritism, nasty attitude amongst management, disregard for workers' rights
Easy going environment with efficient cooperationg
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
People there great to work with, good sense of teamwork. busy environment well kept under stress. Decent employment perks, but awfully disorganized management.
Fast-paced and friendly working environment.
frontline cook/ concession attendant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONNovember 20, 2015
A typical day at work was attending to the guest at the movie theater and always go above and beyond to make a lasting impression. One thing that sticks with me till this day is, "Deliver An Exceptional Guest Service Experience."
I learned the intricacies of the customer service industry.
I learned good communication skills and interpersonal skills. For example. How to upsell, how to stock merchandise, how to be neat and tidy.
The co-workers were from all different walks of life and backgrounds.
The co-workers were friendly for the most part but at times can be selfish. With that being said if you would ask for help; there response would be ask someone else or the Team Leader. Don't get me wrong your work life is not your personal and Cineplex thought me how to be a professional individual.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with rushes and showtimes and keeping a smile on your face because of the fast-paced work environment. As an employee of Cineplex you were always on your feet.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the free movie voucher every pay stub.
The managers are bullies in Red Deer
Box office, concession, and usher (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 16, 2015
I worked at this place for almost two years and got passed over for promotions many, many times. I trained the people that got promoted to Supervisor, Asst. Manager and Teller. Countless kids would come to me about how the GM was treating them and claiming they couldn't do anything about it, I always told them to go to HR and the Labor Standards Board. I emailed HR on two different occasions about the GM with my own problems and nothing was done about it or him. This company is only in it for the money, the employees mean nothing to them because there is always another naive kid to take your place if you try to fight for your rights. APPLICANTS BEWARE!!!!!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
THE MANAGERS
Always a busy day, a lot of team work, working in a busy environment
Concessionist (Former Employee) –  3555 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ONOctober 27, 2015
A typical day working at Cineplex I would either open or close. If I'm opening, I would get my cash tail ready and then open the concession stand. Opening the concession stands consists of me counting out candies, cups, bags of popcorn, stocking the shelves, turning on the popcorn machines, turning on the butter machines and brewing fresh coffee. During the day I ensure that any guest visiting the colossus is happy with his/her order I remind them about using their scene card and provide the best of my costumer service abilities. Closing on a typical day consists of me cleaning the concession stand, throwing out any extra popcorn, counting whats left for the day, counting my cash tail and reporting it to my manager.
Not worth how horribly your managers make you feel at the end of the night.
Cast member (that should have been promoted) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB WindermereOctober 26, 2015
I worked at cineplex for about 2 and a half years. And I have to say it started out awesome, I loved my management team, they loved me. I got along well with all the other members of the team, it was a fun easy started job for someone who was in the 10th grade.

But as the years went on the job got progressively worse. We went through three general managers the entire time that I worked there, and I could easily could more than 20 managers that have worked there over the course of time I had been there, it was kind of ridiculous. Cineplex is supposed to be a started job. On that note, you get annoying managers that are literally going to be working there for their entire lives because that's all they're smart enough to do. You also get managers that believe that you don't deserve to get promoted because they have some personal issues with you that aren't even valid.

I personally believe that this is a bull job, and if you wanna work there be my guest but it is definitely not worth your time if you want to be treated like garbage and not get promoted after having worked there for over two years and then have some stupid kid thats worked there for 3 months get promoted over you.

It's just not worth it.
Pros
Free movies, flexible schedule.
Cons
Bad hours, horrendous management.
Good atmosphere and company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  La Salle, QCOctober 20, 2015
Great company to work for.
Lots of opportunity for advancement.
Great co-workers.
Flexible schedule.
Good benefits.
Fun Place To Work, Love to go Back
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
its always good having people around your age working with you, that encourages you, i learned that if your in a positive mood and the guest is not, you can make them happy just by complimenting them, hardest part of the job was when you had to stay overnight to help close.
Pros
near my house
Cons
stay after night
good work place
cashier/usher (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSOctober 4, 2015
I loved working at cineplex , great people and great staff and management. There was always something to do while you were working it was never boring , and great work benefits.
Good place to start off when young, only good thing it has is flexibility
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Super flexible, you can craft your schedule the way you want by taking or getting rid of shifts by trading with your co-workers

100+ employees meant someone is most of the time willing to cover your shift or you can take a shift

You deal with many people on your worse of nights and fight boredom on your less than stellar days

They're open 365 days a year, so you can work Stat. holidays and get paid more

Managers aren't collectively together so messages weren't always delivered to you about promotions and changes that happen overnight, it is like another high-school where drama and theft happens in the workplace

You aren't paid for your 15 min breaks, let alone even get one if you work more than 4 hours.
Pros
flexible, always open = more shifts, can pick up and give shifts with ease
Cons
no paid breaks, very petty and you have to kiss up to managers to get noticed
Silvershitty
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 23, 2015
Barely no benefits were given. Management is as awful as can be, most are incredibly conceited and extremely passive aggressive. They tend to take it out on cast members for things that doesn't involve cast members at all. Co-workers are the same everywhere, some you like, some you hate! I believe that they're one of the few reasons Cineplex is worth staying for because all other factors are ridiculous. The only great thing about cineplex is the flexibility of the schedules. Since it's always busy, you're almost always guaranteed a shift whether it be 4 hours all the way to 8 hours. Lots of people tend to give shifts away and take shifts from people, it all depends on the hours and the area you're trained in.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Management, customers, toxic-environment for the most part, no raise will ever be given unless you apply to move up (it's not worth it)
Fun and active work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Working at Cineplex has been a great experience for being a first job. The hours are quite flexible and the benefits are very nice for a working student. Management has been very welcoming and understanding to my as an employee . They are very helpful and accommodate to me being a working student. The hardest part of the job would be working late hours or just doing closing shifts but overall I recommend this job for high school students for its flexibility , gaining work experience, and working with such great co-workers who are very reliable and nice.
fun and productive
Senior Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 22, 2015
very good employee . very good good to work for and advance. A very fun and starter job. provides flex hours. No experience necessary training provided.
Very Good work live balance.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton AlbertaSeptember 18, 2015
Great scheduling leading to great work life balance, however tough to be able to afford much working there. It is a fun environment and offers the ability to move up within the company.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low pay
great atmosphere, bad hours.
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON, CanadaSeptember 16, 2015
Although it is a fun place to work, the times when most people want time off, is when the movie theater is at its busiest, such as weekends and holidays.

As well pay was just above minimum wage, for a job the required many late evenings and weekends.

I really enjoyed my time at Cineplex, however, it is not a place I'd like to make a life long career.
Pros
free movies
Cons
very late nights
3/5
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 12, 2015
Sometimes unorganized, Managers can be biased. Sometimes unfair management decisions. Unnecessary confrontations with managers and other cast members.

Yet, managers are willing to help most of the time. Easy to get a long with for the majority. Most are easy going.

Sometimes can feel helpless when their is a concern with guest (customer) and Cast member. Manager doesn't support cast member OFTEN. when in a confrontation and the guest is being very unreasonable.

Good first job.

Hours go by quick

Many opportunities for different kinds of work there.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Constant new things added to the menu that are sometimes time consuming.
Excellent place with open culture
Purchasing and Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of doing my job correctly and enjoying it even though it was not so stimulating. I learned the world of purchasing and corporate sales my short time there and grateful for it. Management was alright, they seemed to be absent a lot of the times and didn't get a proper feel for their employees. The co-workers were typically all nice and well liked.
Pros
Outings and open culture
Cons
lack of communication with management