Cineplex Employee Reviews

fun
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 May 2016
could be fun and stressful at the same time. Overall based on the level of work salary was not good. Benefits were great and were on par with other companies
Pros
free movies
Cons
hours
Takes advantage of designers and new graduates
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 September 2016
Horrible work environment and management. They fire people on spot when they make a mistake and don't support their employees when they need help.

Working here I watched as the management team took advantage of those who just graduated from school and expected them to work overtime WITHOUT PAY.

Designers had to ask for permission to go home every night, because there is so much work, you are looked upon if you don't stay to help. Also employees are asked to come in on weekends and work.

Very happy I was only on freelance because to dedicate my every day life to this kind of work environment is so depressing.
Good Place to work
Theatre Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 November 2016
As a manager it is long hours but it is a good environment and there are a lot of chances for help if you have any questions whether it is from other managers or higher up. There will always be ups and downs but I did love my job.

Hardest part for me was that strange hours but before my child It was more than doable. The best part was going in and seeing this family that we made every day. the people range from low to high like in a real family but that is what was great about it.
Productive workplace with friendly management.
Concession Worker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 August 2016
In a typical day at the Cineplex I would stock concession, take orders, fill orders, and make sure the are is clean and orderly. I have learned good customer service skills and how to do cash outs. The management was always on their feet with solving quests and staffs problems throughout the day, and they always kept the workplace a very safe and orderly place to work at. The co-workers are always polite to staff and quests and it creates an overall great experience. I believe the hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the costumers we get. Some days we get ones who are so bad we have to pass them along to the managers to deal with. The most enjoyable part of working at the Cineplex is how the management and fellow coworkers come to be one big family. We all have each others backs and work together to accomplish everyday's tasks.
Pros
free drinks/popcorn on breaks and cast passes for movies
Cons
late night shifts
A good first job.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Cineplex Markham & VIP22 June 2016
Gives a good experience of what the real world is like for teenagers. It was a great first job. Flexible. However, they hired so many people that I would get scheduled 1-2 shifts. Before I would get 3-4 shifts, and I would get called in many times. This is great for me because I am looking to make money. Now every week people are fighting for shifts on our shift group chat. Management is always changing. You get lucky with a cool manager, or a total jacka**. Good for experience. They used to give one movie pass every week. Then they changed it to giving movie passes only on mondays, Wednesdays, and thursdays. No one got the time to go every week on the weekdays to get a movie pass. Most of us work on the weekends. After that they have changed it to one movie pass every pay day. Ridiculous.
Easy but inconsistent
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 August 2016
The work is really simple. Shifts usually range from 5-8 hrs but many don't get scheduled often. The first month I started working I got 3-5 shifts a week. Now I get 0-2 shifts weekly. Management is unorganized and forgetful. Some managers make it difficult to change your availability. It is pretty easy to give away and take shifts. It is good for people that would like to work two jobs. I love getting free movies. You only get 50% off food when you're working, not when you're a guest.The trainers are not good. They are decent for concession but they do not train you well on other areas.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Not enough shifts
Silvershitty
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 September 2015
Barely no benefits were given. Management is as awful as can be, most are incredibly conceited and extremely passive aggressive. They tend to take it out on cast members for things that doesn't involve cast members at all. Co-workers are the same everywhere, some you like, some you hate! I believe that they're one of the few reasons Cineplex is worth staying for because all other factors are ridiculous. The only great thing about cineplex is the flexibility of the schedules. Since it's always busy, you're almost always guaranteed a shift whether it be 4 hours all the way to 8 hours. Lots of people tend to give shifts away and take shifts from people, it all depends on the hours and the area you're trained in.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Management, customers, toxic-environment for the most part, no raise will ever be given unless you apply to move up (it's not worth it)
Good Part-time Job
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON1 August 2016
What I like about the job is that the work day goes pretty fast, the customers are pretty reasonable at my location. The thing I don't like about it is that scheduling seems to be hit and miss. You have to be available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and another weekday, and you may or may not be scheduled all or none of these days. This is a problem if you want this as a summer job to make money for school. Our location does have a Facebook page where shifts are posted, but if they are not taken by another employee, you have to go in. So it's hard to make plans around that. Another pet peeve is that based on busyness, you may be cut, sometimes even before your shift begins. That has happened to me where I was asked to go home before I even started working. They were reasonable, and said I could stay if I wanted to, but being new I didn't want to make waves.
Pros
Free movie passes, free popcorn and drinks
Cons
Shifts change each week, late hours
Productive workplace with interesting people
Cineplex Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2016
Working at Cineplex had a lot of benefits, they had flexible hours, and friendly workers.I enjoyed the people I worked with and have learned a lot about customer service and how to handle certain situations. It was an amazing place to work.
Pros
Lots of benefits; free movies
Cons
Not enough hours
Fast paced cashier.
cashier, general cleaning duties (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2016
A typical day at work is standing at the till while serving various different food options to guests.I learned proper costumer service, and how to handle money. There was a strong sense of communication and trust among the management and co workers.The hardest part of the job was dealing with the fast paced environment.
Perfect balance between work and play
Cast Trainer (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK2 September 2016
Working at the movie theatre is a perfect job for high school students. The management is great at scheduling time off work so you are able to do sports, vacation, etc. With the hours being based on high school students school times it works great. Start times aren't till four and you finish at nine on weekdays.
Pros
not many hours
Cons
not many hours
Not too Bad for a First job
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2016
I did enjoy my employment here. It is a good job for anyone who is looking for their first job. Unfortunately it is open EVERY day of the year..
Pros
Free Popcorn and Drinks while on shift. Free Entry to Movies anytime W/ notice to management
Cons
Sometimes works untill after midnight. Open EVERY day of year.
Best Job Ever
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 September 2016
Cineplex Entertainment was by far one of the best jobs I have ever had, the management and crew were always smiling and very friendly! I learned a lot from this job that has helped me later on with previous jobs. Thank you Abbotsford Cineplex for making my time there memorable and amazing.
Pros
Free Movies
Cons
Not enough Pay
Fun and active work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 September 2015
Working at Cineplex has been a great experience for being a first job. The hours are quite flexible and the benefits are very nice for a working student. Management has been very welcoming and understanding to my as an employee . They are very helpful and accommodate to me being a working student. The hardest part of the job would be working late hours or just doing closing shifts but overall I recommend this job for high school students for its flexibility , gaining work experience, and working with such great co-workers who are very reliable and nice.
*Concessioin worker
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS26 October 2016
good flexible hours,only downside is there is no possibility for full time, the free movies and cheap food while working was great. great for a first job or if youre going to school
Cineplex
Cast Member/Cinema Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2016
Working in cineplex has provided me the knowledge of handling issues from guest within a fast-paced environment. Although, due to their "cost cutting strategies" they do not provide a great Job security to most of their employees
Postitive, easy-going & friendly.
Theatre Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 October 2016
A typical day required you working with some incredible staff, in a very positive welcoming environment. Management was amazing, co-workers were sensational. It was definitely an enjoyable and encouraging experience.
Pros
Movie Passes
Socially interactive and productive workplace
Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC21 April 2016
When new popular movies are released my workplace environment is very fast paced and demanding, where the workers are left with little room for errors. On the other hand when it is slower on a Wednesday night for example, the workplace becomes very lethargic and boring. There are nights where you have to kill a lot of time before you can do anything. Cineplex is one big team and it is very important to have fun productive workers to make it a good work environment. The hardest part of the job is when I have to deal with unreasonable guests and workers, and ironically the most enjoyable part is when I get to interact with interesting happy guests and workers. Management try very hard to make the building run smoothly and efficiently, and I get along with them very well.
Productive and Busy enviroment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2016
A shift consist of:
1. preparing food for guest
2. open or close the unit
3. Cleaning
4. Cashier

I also did extra cleaning jobs that was not in my job description. this include taking apart the pizza oven to repair and clean. also clean oil vents
Pros
they enjoyed my works at was considered for promotion within 4 months
Cons
unfair earning
okay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2016
Management sucked, they would find anyway, shape or form to write you up. they would tell you everything you did wrong and wouldn't help you improve and tell you how to fix it.
Co-workers were probably the best part of the job, you meet so many nice people of all ages and cultures and if you had a problem they would help you to the best of their ability/

I have gotten better at my communication skills both verbally and written and i have learned more about food handling and preparation and what working with costumers all the time feels like.
Pros
discounts and free movies
Cons
management

2.8