Cineplex Employee Reviews

Good Place to work
Theatre Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 November 2016
As a manager it is long hours but it is a good environment and there are a lot of chances for help if you have any questions whether it is from other managers or higher up. There will always be ups and downs but I did love my job.

Hardest part for me was that strange hours but before my child It was more than doable. The best part was going in and seeing this family that we made every day. the people range from low to high like in a real family but that is what was great about it.
Fun job, not a ton of hours
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
This job is great for a first job or for a part time job while in school. There is no minimum hours you have to meet except on your default availability. The cast is friendly and easy to get along with. So is management. There isn't a ton of growing oppertunity and raises are rarely given. Most people I know have been working there for 3 years and have not surpassed minimum wage.
Pros
Half price outtakes food, free movie for you and a guest every pay perios
Cons
Not a lot of shifts given
Fun workplace, mainly youth
Bartender/ Server/ Cook (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON28 September 2016
Cineplex is a very fun place to work at since it has a great atmosphere, co-workers are kind and great to work with. Teamwork plays a big role in the theatre, which is great. Our management team helps cast members whenever the theatre gets very busy and is approachable. They build a relationship with the cast members, therefore helping the work environment feel more welcoming.
Pros
One free movie every two weeks
Cons
No benefits, low income
Takes advantage of designers and new graduates
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 September 2016
Horrible work environment and management. They fire people on spot when they make a mistake and don't support their employees when they need help.

Working here I watched as the management team took advantage of those who just graduated from school and expected them to work overtime WITHOUT PAY.

Designers had to ask for permission to go home every night, because there is so much work, you are looked upon if you don't stay to help. Also employees are asked to come in on weekends and work.

Very happy I was only on freelance because to dedicate my every day life to this kind of work environment is so depressing.
Fake People & No Leadership
Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 August 2016
Keep looking. This has to be one of the most dysfunctional companies I have ever had the misfortune of being a part of.

Management says one thing, means another.
Inconsistencies between what is said and what gets done.
Lack of training leads to high turnover from 0 training to employees and heavy workloads. Overtime a plenty.
Overuse of temporary workers.
Management has verbally threatened whole departments with firings.
LOTS of office politics and backstabbing. If you're not one of the "cool group", you'll never get anywhere in this company.
Not a team atmosphere.
Life / Work imbalance is huge.
Pros
Decent pay, Free movies.
Cons
See above.
Fast paced cashier.
cashier, general cleaning duties (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2016
A typical day at work is standing at the till while serving various different food options to guests.I learned proper costumer service, and how to handle money. There was a strong sense of communication and trust among the management and co workers.The hardest part of the job was dealing with the fast paced environment.
Don't work here
Theater Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2016
On the surface the job and company look very good. But on the inside they short change their employees at every opportunity. They put on wages for all hourly staff as well as their bonus structures are very difficult to attain. Good starter job for teenagers entering the work place, but that's about it.
Benefits
Cons
Pay and advancement. Lack of incentives
Easy but inconsistent
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 August 2016
The work is really simple. Shifts usually range from 5-8 hrs but many don't get scheduled often. The first month I started working I got 3-5 shifts a week. Now I get 0-2 shifts weekly. Management is unorganized and forgetful. Some managers make it difficult to change your availability. It is pretty easy to give away and take shifts. It is good for people that would like to work two jobs. I love getting free movies. You only get 50% off food when you're working, not when you're a guest.The trainers are not good. They are decent for concession but they do not train you well on other areas.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Not enough shifts
Fun Work Environment
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON6 December 2016
Feel welcomed once entering the building. Feel part of a family that works together to make the work place better both for ourselves and management but also for the customers. We learn things such as valuable customer skill services as well as the ability to work under pressure.
Pros
Meet new people.
Cons
Not enough hours
Perfect balance between work and play
Cast Trainer (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK2 September 2016
Working at the movie theatre is a perfect job for high school students. The management is great at scheduling time off work so you are able to do sports, vacation, etc. With the hours being based on high school students school times it works great. Start times aren't till four and you finish at nine on weekdays.
Pros
not many hours
Cons
not many hours
Was fun and great in the beginning, but...
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 November 2016
In the beginning, the job was fun, then as a few things changed in management, it plummeted. Work became stressful all the time, we would be understaffed and working as fast as we could during the in-seat services.

I think what lacked the most when I worked there was the lack of appreciation for the hard work the cast members do. We never got "awesome work guys!" or thank you's, anything of the sort. That's what maybe drove some of the cast to not care about doing tasks when it was slow or put the effort in. We always had disappointed looks from the managers, as though we didn't work hard enough when the in-seat services were busy, and we always did out best to get the food out to the guests a.s.a.p.
Pros
Free movie tickets and discounted food at Outtakes. Make a lot of friends. Tips.
Cons
Short hours, mnimum wage, no raises, might be scheduled outside of availability, have to work Christmas Day, on-call shifts.
Best Job Ever
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC26 September 2016
Cineplex Entertainment was by far one of the best jobs I have ever had, the management and crew were always smiling and very friendly! I learned a lot from this job that has helped me later on with previous jobs. Thank you Abbotsford Cineplex for making my time there memorable and amazing.
Pros
Free Movies
Cons
Not enough Pay
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2016
A day at work is always fun with the people I work with, they are funny, hard working people, great at team work, express and show themselves truly. The managers are always there to assist us, answer any questions we have, open-minded, listens, active and very fun to be around with.

The hardest part of the job is cleaning a theater, especially when a movie is sold out and you need to make sure you clean everything in a short amount of time.

Enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to a lot of our guests, helping them and just see them interact with us. As well as the free movie benefits that we get after working or when we are not working.
Pros
Free movies, discounted food, free popcorn and drink when working.
Cons
short hours
Very fast paced environment with lots to do while working.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2016
It was a very productive job. Time went by very fast because of how much work that needed to be done. the customers were amazing and the work environment had a energetic vibe. I learned to memorize the menu and promotions. Became very proficient on multitasking and handeling a fast pace environment. The management could use some work due to there being a short amount of managers and the large amount of young employees. But over all, it was a great experience and i enjoyed my position.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management
Small break room with a dark walk and little to no hope of advancement
cast member (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 August 2016
Get chewed out and mistreated for things you couldn't have known, and experience no mercy from people who don't care about you. Barely legal, and overall the worst working experience I have ever had.
Pros
tiny bag of popcorn and they don't charge you for water
Cons
you'll want to die
Fast Paced, Fun, Exciting and Interactive Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
A typical day at Cineplex is very fast moving day that involves a lot of human interactions. Making food and talking to everyone was part of a normal successful day. The team at Cineplex is very friendly and extremely fun to be around.
Not too Bad for a First job
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2016
I did enjoy my employment here. It is a good job for anyone who is looking for their first job. Unfortunately it is open EVERY day of the year..
Pros
Free Popcorn and Drinks while on shift. Free Entry to Movies anytime W/ notice to management
Cons
Sometimes works untill after midnight. Open EVERY day of year.
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 October 2016
Minimum wage does not suffice, lots of employees make cineplex a fun workplace because if coworkers. However management isn't the greatest and promotions are hard to come by. Would recommend for a first job or a short period of time.
Pros
Free popcorn and drinks
Cons
Only when on shift
Productive and Busy enviroment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2016
A shift consist of:
1. preparing food for guest
2. open or close the unit
3. Cleaning
4. Cashier

I also did extra cleaning jobs that was not in my job description. this include taking apart the pizza oven to repair and clean. also clean oil vents
Pros
they enjoyed my works at was considered for promotion within 4 months
Cons
unfair earning
A good first job.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Cineplex Markham & VIP22 June 2016
Gives a good experience of what the real world is like for teenagers. It was a great first job. Flexible. However, they hired so many people that I would get scheduled 1-2 shifts. Before I would get 3-4 shifts, and I would get called in many times. This is great for me because I am looking to make money. Now every week people are fighting for shifts on our shift group chat. Management is always changing. You get lucky with a cool manager, or a total jacka**. Good for experience. They used to give one movie pass every week. Then they changed it to giving movie passes only on mondays, Wednesdays, and thursdays. No one got the time to go every week on the weekdays to get a movie pass. Most of us work on the weekends. After that they have changed it to one movie pass every pay day. Ridiculous.

2.8